Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Haltija

Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco, and Vetiver

Holy hell!

My opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. This is just how it works on my chemistry. But it's like my beloved French Tobacco has a gorgeous halo of the sexiest smoke from the vetiver hovering over it. I smell chocolate and it is dark but it's not foodie, on me at least. The vetiver isn't grassy, it's purely smoky. I am absolutely smitten! Beth, you must of read my mind when I was thinking I needed more blends like French Tobacco. I need tons of backups of this, thank you.

:heart: :heart:

When this first arrived, I was very unsure - the tobacco smelled soggy and squidgy, and it was a bit weird, but now I've had the bottle for a week, it's settled down big time, becoming absolutely lovely, and I can imagine it's just gonna get better and better! :wub2:

Vetiver is a note I'm dubious about, and it was the Gamble Note in this blend, for me, but here it behaves perfectly - it's smoky, wonderfully smoky, but it doesn't go to BBQ sauce town, which is always my fear! Not a single smoked sausage in this one! :thumbsup: The tobacco is no longer soggy, and has now become rich, brown, and sexy-masculine, which is exactly what I hoped for. The dark chocolate is barely there, just a perfectly blended hint in the background, a dark, bittersweet richness, but this certainly isn't a foodie blend. Overall it's smoky as hell - I always want more smoky blends from BPAL, so this is seriously my happy place, it's a proper campfire smokiness, beautiful, beautiful woodsmoke, with a hint of sexy, dusky dark chocolate in the background, and the rugged motorcycle jacket wearing badassness of the tobacco.

...I'm actually getting a little nervous as to whether one bottle will be enough :shhh: Very, very glad I hung onto it to give it time to settle - if the tobacco smells a little whack on arrival, definitely don't make a snap judgement, it gets gooooood! :smilenod:

In the bottle it's thick, smokey tobacco with a note of something almost bitter or medicinal. Once it's been on my skin for a few minutes, it becomes eyes-roll-back-in-your-head good. The chocolate is barely there, just a hint of something rich and sweet in the background, with the tobacco and vetiver as the main attraction, and the overall impression is of rich, dark woods and heat, like being inside a sauna paneled entirely with teak, or a wood-paneled sun-heated warehouse full of hogsheads of tobacco and bags of cacao nibs. It's masculine, but the kind of rich/warm masculine scent that does really well on me.

After an hour or so, the smokey/heat effect fades and softens, and it's all rich tobacco and warm woods, close to the skin and gorgeous.

Oh NOM, this is my kind of gourmand. Goes on ooey gooey sticky tobacco with dusty sticky chocolate and a smoky haze of vetiver. For me the smoke stays for the whole experience, doesn't get any less dirty or intense. I also find the vetiver veers into burnt rubber territory, but I don't care. It's still good. Scorched deliciousness.

Tzi

Edited by tziporra

In the bottle: Rich, smoky, dark chocolate.

Wet on my skin: Dark, dark chocolate and smoke. Really, really, really nice smoke. Unf.

Dry: I don't smoke, but this is what I imagine it's like to smoke a real, hand-rolled Cuban cigar while eating the richest dark chocolate from the highest-end chocolatier in France. Dark, smooth, smoky, and oh my goodness it's good. The tobacco and vetiver combine to make up the body of this scent, sweetened up just slightly by the chocolate - but the tobacco is almost sweeter than this chocolate. I'm having trouble finding words for this right now because my eyes want to roll up into the back of my head every time I catch a whiff of myself. SO GOOD.

In the bottle: Smokey dark chocolate. I can definitely tell it has black tobacco.

Wet: This dark chocolate is beautiful. It's not foody at all and the black tobacco really adds a nice smokiness to it. I'm not picking up on the Vetiver though.

Dry: The black tobacco totally takes over and steals the show. The dark chocolate is faintly there in the back along with a hint of Vetiver... A little later it is only black tobacco.

Verdict: I like this. Again, as with the other dark chocolate bonbon I got the chocolate doesn't last. I'm really hoping that will change with aging because the wet phase is truly wonderful. Luckily for me I like the black tobacco and am glad I got this as it is still a nice scent, even without the chocolate. Maybe I can find something to layer it with and add some smokiness to another scent. Ooo the possibilities. :)

Gifted with a partial decant. This is sultry. Greta Garbo sultry and sophisticated. Silk pajamas and a long black cigarette holder, shiny fingerwaved tresses, high arched brows, and deep red lipstick. Don't fuck with me/screaming sex appeal. Not so much a scent as an attitude.

Mmm. This scent is amazing. If you love the French Tobacco single note, this is basically the same thing, but with a little bit of cocoa added to it. Earthy, sweet tobacco with a smokiness that reminds me of burning fall leaves. It smells dark, sticky and very sexy. It has just a light dusting of sweet cocoa powder and a curl of smoke in the background. One of my definite loves of this year's Lupercalia blends.

:wub:

Wet: The drop of oil sitting on my skin smells like smoky vetiver, but the second I rub it in, my skin amps that amazing tobacco note, and the dark chocolate blooms, and I am in heaven. A hint of smokiness remains from the vetiver, but it is mostly chewy, caramelly tobacco. I agree with others that this is the same or a similar note to French Tobacco SN. If you like chocolate, and you love tobacco, and you're not afraid of vetiver, GET THIS.

Dry: The same, this isn't a morpher on me after the first few moments. I am glad the hint of smoke from the vetiver sticks around, my skin generally eats it entirely. I don't get a ton of chocolate, but it's there. And the tobacco is just so so good. This is really sexy. I think a guy could easily wear it as well.

Wet: Aw fuck, a dark and perfect french vanilla hot chocolate that I can feel on the back of my throat. The tobacco is perfect here. God, it smells like the bottom of a fresh hot coffee cup. I didn't know what the French Tobacco fuss was about? But it's warranted. It's almost a LITTLE woodsy, and a little caramel.

Drying down gets more sweet/pleasant but still dark and nnnnnnf. Like coffee creamer that someone's melted in with chocolate shavings.

Dry: A faint, smooth, chocolate on my wrist. Maybe a hint of that french vanilla and tobacco. No criticisms from me. Lasts through the day. Smooth all the way to the finish.

Edited by unxolve

This scent is so rich.

When Infirst apply, it's such a strong intense wave of sweet tobacco & smoky vetiver, it makes me nauseous. (Might just be too much applied....) On the drydown though, I'm smitten. The dark chocolate comes forth to join the party and, oh man, so smooth, dark, and sexy! The staying power and throw are big. I feel like I need to dim the lights to wear this beauty.

Edit: I wore this today, and it’s allll about the vetiver! The chocolate and tobacco support and make it super dense rich lush, but the grassy yet smokiness of the vetiver reigns. I love it. My partner less so :P he says it’s very masculine, but that’s my jam! Chocolate isn’t a scent he enjoys, either. 

Also, I’ve been finding that I’m not much of a tobacco fan, but here I’m not bothered at all. Yahoo! This is making the rainy gloom of today cozy, indeed. 

Edited by artisjok

Artisjok generously shared a frimp of Dark Chocolate, Black Tobacco and Vetiver with me, and I am in love.  Dark chocolate, really dark, at least 70% cacao.  The vetiver is harsh for about 30 seconds, then it settles into that dark smoky goodness that goes perfectly with the chewy tobacco.  Although I rarely get much sillage with my skin chemistry, there is a smoky throw a few inches from the skin on me. 

There is nothing ethereal about this scent.  It is all about hedonism, rich intense lust for life.  It's not foodie, but you can taste it, almost touch it. The chocolate becomes less distinct after time and just melds into the dark deep sexiness of this scent.  Superlative.  

Oh yeah, that’s tobacco. Peaty, like a garden shop. There is a mulch made of cacao pods, and this is it.

Bringing joy to my days of isolation by reviewing my hoard of oils.

this is day 18: dark chocolate, black tobacco and vetiver...

Smokey, rich chocolatey tobacco. I almost want to munch on my own wrists. I would hate to think what would happen to a guy if he was wearing this around me 😏 

Deep.... broody.... mysterious... sensual.... warm... sexy as hell. 

Ooooh like a rugged pirate sensually feeding you the richest of chocolate from his latest plundering haul... 🙃 

After a few hours this has softened and settled into a sweet, cosy soft vetiver. Very reminiscent of my ultimate fave comfort scent Two Sheep and Two Goats.

So to sum up. This one is absolutely incredibly beautiful 💕💕💕