Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White rose marred by oakmoss, Spanish moss, slippery labdanum, and gurjum balsam.

Another amazing rose scent from Beth! I usually do not like florals, and until last year I HATED all roses with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. But something happened and while decanting for others, I discovered a few rose scents that I not only can physically tolerate without nausea, but that I indeed enjoy LOL. This is another. I really dig moss and oak moss and they add a great non-quite green but real earthy vibe to the roses here. While there is no mistaking the rose in here, I think those who prefer rose to be dominated by other non-florals will enjoy this one.

Roses and mosses. Very fresh smelling. Can definitely detect the spanish moss note. I'd say this comes out about 50/50 roses vs moss.

The moss dominates on me after a couple hours of wear. Not sure but I think I'm detecting the labdanum/balsam more now as well. Overall very lovely and reminds me a lot of Zombi without the dirt component.

This does smell exactly like Zombi without the dirt note. Quite frankly I think I like this better than Zombi and I didn't think I would ever say that. The roses are super delicate and the moss is really green and fresh. I barely smell any of the labdanum and the balsam and that's probably the only thing I would change about it. But overall it's a nice uplifting blend that makes one crave warmer weather.

Edited by Haltija

Preconceived notions: Normally I would approach with caution any blends with rose as I have learned my skin amps it, so take that into consideration. I have found with experimentation that some blends work if there is something to ground the rose, like leather or a resin. Othello and Spellbound are good examples. On those types, I get a rose note that behaves but my skin seems to love it and broadcast it to all within a mile. I myself love the smell of actual roses and most EO rose oil, however, I have learned that it will dominate most notes to the exclusion of the "mix," and become for all intents and purposes SN ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE ROSE. You get the idea. I am hoping this will be grounded by the moss and labdanum and it will behave, we shall see...

In the Imp: Smells like SN Rose. Well, slighty green aspect, that would be the moss peeking underneath the almost SN Rose.

Wet: Rose with a hint of Spanish moss. Visual synesthesia would be a bouquet of already bloomed red roses lying on a tiny bed of green moss supporting.

Drying: Little change from the wet, gets a slight bit more powdery, like the roses are starting to dry out and become dessicated, but not quite potpourri yet. Sometimes I get a minty smell or citrus smell from rose in a blend, but not here, this is pure rose petals, starting to dry. These are not soapy rose notes either, mostly just rose EO with a bit of moss. On my skin, this is more like 85% rose with 15% moss, but I am an amper so others may get more moss, less rose.

Late drydown: Same as the dry from above. Roses dominated, moss without dirt in the near background. Resin notes suggesting a faint bit of powderiness to the rose petals. (Think Amber accord light) Low throw, but could be because I was sparing and did not slather due to my tendency to amp rose to high heaven. This lasted for about 4-5 hours without morphing further. Aged, the resin may be a bit more pronounced, would be my guess.

Final impressions: This Rose is similar to the one of Whip minus the leather, Spellbound minus the musk, (I also agree with Zombi minus the dirt), Also this is much like the "black rose note" from the recent Phoenix anniversary blend: This World, Where Death Reigns. It is a nice rose note that does allow the moss and labdanum to peek through and does not give me a high pitched floral headache or smell like mint, soap, or lemons. Pure rose lovers will likely find this to their taste, however, it isn't really my style. It could be a great rose for layering or for someone who really likes their roses uncomplicated by leather or musk. Not a bottle for me, I will probably frimp this forward.

Edited by sprout

often times the white rose scents seem to go sour on me, but not here! this starts off with labdanum-y, mossy rose. it's kinda musky seeming to me but i think it's the labdanum maybe. it's a bit...skanky to say the least, which is nice, i'm just not sure if that's the labdanum or what, but this is an animalic rose to my nose. and yes it does seem to be the same rose that is present in zombi.

White rose corrupted by moss and labdanum. The oakmoss/moss add an aquatic component to the blend, with the labdanum serving as a soporific, dark base. It's heady, dark, and in some ways makes me think of Ophelia drowning herself. It has that romantic, doomed aquatic quality to this blend. Great throw, great wear length.

Water, rose, darkness.

Mmmm, mossy white rose. This is a very slightly sweet white rose, framed with mosses and resins. It's the resin + rose combo that gets me in the end, because they're just so good together! On me, the closest comp is Parlement of Foules plus Zombi, minus the dirt note. Definitely white rose here. Very nice, relaxing rose. Good wear length as well.

Wow. I am really loving this. Very similar to the rose in Zombi, but not the same perfume at all. I think I may need 49 bottles. I think this may be better than Peacock Queen.

I get that this is a "dried rose" but it isn't the same as say, Miss Jessel, it's much sharper.

I guess my bottle is batch different. Fresh white rose with barely a touch of resins. I like it..but I don't think I *need it*.

White roses, a bit of frank, so this is a resiny rose, my favourite kind. This is a fast fade on me though, but is quite nice while it lasted. A sweet, white rose, not sour at all.

In the bottle: Medicinal and a bit sour, which must be the oakmoss.

Wet: Medicinal and resiny

Dry: Roses smoothed out by balsam. The sour note is mostly gone, it's almost sweet now but there's still an edge to it. It's similar to Ruined Roses hairgloss and I wear them together a lot.

In the decant: This is more like the white rose is being drowned in the other notes.

Wet: There's a little bit more of the white rose now.

The dry-down: I love Beth's white rose note. However, the jury is still out on this one.This white rose has indeed been marred by the oakmoss, the Spanish moss, and the labdanum, and the balsam only slightly sweetens it up.

Edited by thekittenkat

Imp: Slightly dusty dried roses.

Wet: Pot pourri, sadly. Strong and entirely rose.

Dry: Sometimes I get a waft of moss, but otherwise this is pure rose, with no balsam, labdanum, or relief.

This is disappointing, as I loved almost all 2014's rose scents after years of avoiding them for exactly what this one does - old, cheap, pot pourri smell. I had such high hopes too, moss usually behaves very well on me! I don't hate it like some others, and I can wear it without headache, but it's not a keeper. It lasts a good 6-8 hours, and the throw stays strong throughout.

Stars: ★★★