Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Betula

Sweet, manly woodsmoke scent

For my husband's birthday, he was wanting something to wear that smells like woodsmoke. He's not normally into cologne, but I suggested that BPAL might offer something like that.

He got a bit excited, and started talking about how his ideal cologne would smell like woodsmoke and leather, "kind of sweet, not artificial."

Does anyone know of a masculine-leaning woodsmoke scent?

I got woodsmoke from Mad Sweeney, though that may have just been oddball skin chemistry. It was more whiskey-y on other people.

Rogue might be a good option if you can find it, or one of the other RPG scents. Antikythera Mechanism doesn't quite fit, but might be something to try? Or maybe Dragon's Hide or Crowley.

Edited by Riezky

I really like the steamworks scent "Smokestack". While its not a traditional woodsmoke, it does have creosote, and a smooth but dark smokiness.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've always wanted to try Mad Sweeney, maybe I can find an imp ... I have Iago, and he likes it, but doesn't think it's for him. Same with Crowley (he actually really likes how Crowley smells on me, haha!). He always rolls rogue, so if there's a smokiness to Rogue, I might hunt down an imp ... Smokestack sounds like it might smell like all those peat-smoking distilleries we saw in Oban.

Anyone have any input on the smokey quality of Bonfire Night, Gauko, the Black Rider, and Hellfire? I'm aiming for as close to the natural smell of woodsmoke as I can get.

Edited by Betula

Bonfire Night is gorgeous, sweet and smoky. Agnes Nutter is one of my favorite smoky scents. You might also look into the Halloweenie LE Bonfire single note.

OK, I love Iago, but there's no smoke in that at all. Djinn is a "hot" scent, a fire scent -- there's lovely smoke in there but not what you're looking for.

Smokestack is great and very surprising, based on the description. There's a sweetness to it.

I think I'm like your husband -- I don't wear any florals or fruits or herbs (mostly). And incense and amber tend to disappear on me. My body chemistry just doesn't like the pretty stuff much.

If your husband likes leather he will love Iago -- there's no smoke but the leather and musk is to die for. That's ultra-masculine.

But the *perfect* woodsmoke scent is Rumpelstilzchen. It's woodsmoke and burnt herbs, and it is the first thing I reach for when the weather gets cold. In the summer I wear Voodoo and Troll (and Iago when I go out at night with my leather jacket). In the winter I wear Rumpelstilzchen and sometimes Old Demons of the First Class (dry, peppery and crackly but no smoke).

I'd get him Rumpelstilzchen, based on what he's looking for. It's awesome.

Black Rider is much more leather dominant than smokey, but there is this really sweet tang to it. It is one of my favorites for dark and masculine, but it is not smoke dominant at all on me.

Judging from today's testing experience with Wild Indigo Duskywing, this might be right up your alley. It's slightly musky, sort of medicinally spicy, and very smoky. Other reviews say they get a leather feel from the notes.

Bonfire night is my go to smoke scent; brings me right back to celebrating bonfire night in the UK

And now there's single note bonfire;)

Tattie Bogle - Hay, gunpowder, patchouli, autumn herbs, and sun-baked wood, get it while you can. :wink: It's a great unisex smokey autumn scent.

If you can get your hands on Burning Book SN, that is perfect, IMO...

The smoke isn't too overwhelming, it;s just perfect, and sweetened by a vanilla/paper note, but it's not overly sweet.

There is also the leather, which again, is not overwhelming - it's just perfect.

I feel it's very Unisex, as I can totally see a guy wearing it, but I also like it layer it with Snake Oil.

I too also recommend Rumpelstilzchen. It's one of my favourites and sounds exactly what he's asking for.

I'd have to recommend Herr Drosselmeyer, it sounds like it fits -

Pipe smoke, sweet leather, woods and linen.

It's a sweet delicioous, comforting, not acrid smoke smell smoothed out by rich leather and a touch of sweetness. I love it but it would also be a great on a guy. It's LE though and I'm not sure how easy to find it is!

another vote for Rumpelstilzchen, Bonfire Night and Agnes Nutter - which has a definite masculine leather/smoke combination on me, more so than Bonfire Night which is more bonfire smoke and sweetness. they're all gorgeous though :)

I'll put in a vote for Bonfire Night, the 2012 version (the 2007 version is sweeter). It's pretty much all woodsmoke with a hint of sweet.