Jump to content
Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ComicCreep said:

I just started delving deeply into bpal, making spreadsheets and really going through the site directory after I had lost my scent for a while last year from Covid… I’m shocked how depressed I became because of it. Scent really does add a lot of joy to my life apparently! Luckily my sense of smell came back, but different. I’ve been re-training my nose ever sense. My current top five are

 

  1. Thorns clove cigarette 
  2. Eat me
  3. Green tree viper 
  4. Goblin cider
  5. Sweets to the sweet

 

I love a sweet mint, autumnal spices, a good sugary foody scent, and also some smoky incense/amber/resin. Any suggestions would be lovely 😊 

 

You might like Resistance from the Activism line. Very autumnal, and benefits the ACLU.

 

"It is an autumn scent, swirled with fall leaves, huddled against the cold winds of November... Bourbon vanilla and vintage champaca absolute with sweet patchouli, dried red fruits, leather accord, pumpkin rind, and a splash of bourbon."

 

Also Jack from the General Catalog if you haven't tried it yet ("The scent of warm, glowing jack o’lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.") and hopefully someone can weigh in on recommendations from the current Halloween collection!

Edited by Exquise-moi

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, ComicCreep said:

I just started delving deeply into bpal, making spreadsheets and really going through the site directory after I had lost my scent for a while last year from Covid… I’m shocked how depressed I became because of it. Scent really does add a lot of joy to my life apparently! Luckily my sense of smell came back, but different. I’ve been re-training my nose ever sense. My current top five are

 

  1. Thorns clove cigarette 
  2. Eat me
  3. Green tree viper 
  4. Goblin cider
  5. Sweets to the sweet

 

I love a sweet mint, autumnal spices, a good sugary foody scent, and also some smoky incense/amber/resin. Any suggestions would be lovely 😊 

That's so interesting that loosing your sense of smell caused depression! It totally makes sense. I'm glad it is coming back for you. BPAL excels at scents with your favorite notes, so there are too many to choose from! Moroccan Pumpkin from the recent Weenie release comes to mind, and from the general catalogue -- oh so many -- Kobold Barista if you like coffee with your autumnal spices, Shub Niggurath (The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.), and Cathedral (Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins.) Although now there is Sugar Cookie Cathedral in the Yule release, which might tick all your boxes! For a clovey scent with apple, I recommend Queen Alice (Carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle, sandy cider, and wooly wine.) Have fun exploring!

Share this post


Link to post

@ComicCreep for minty recs you might want to give Alisz a try! It's a really gorgeous vanilla mint. Also Lick It will likely be back in the Yules!

Share this post


Link to post

@ComicCreep I second roseus's recs. Also, Nuclear Winter is a nice spearmint, Fuck This Heat is cool and herbal, and you might enjoy the Halloween hair gloss from last year - Stitched Together. 

 

I'd also recommend Pumpkin Spice Booze.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, roseus said:

@ComicCreep for minty recs you might want to give Alisz a try! It's a really gorgeous vanilla mint. Also Lick It will likely be back in the Yules!

You were spot on, I got to try Alisz and love it!

Share this post


Link to post

Reviving this thread! My top 5 are: Boomslang, Bastet, Bengal, Bien Loin D'ici, and Debauchery. All the B's and sometimes D's 😂I gravitate towards warm, musky, spicy scents with the occasional floral or gourmand thrown in. Thanks in advance!

 

Share this post


Link to post

My all time go-to that I think is the perfect scent: Snake Smut

Fave gourmand: Two Frames/Sugar Skull

For a hot Hong Kong day: Octopus and Abalone Diver

Sweet floral: Zorya P

Wish it were a daytime scent: TKO

 

So I like the sweeter side of things and lavender. Apparently ambergris too. Would love some ideas as I'm going to make a big order soon 💓

Share this post


Link to post

My top 5 right now:

 

Druid

Arcana

The Little Wooden Doll

Lyonesse

Like the Very Gods (I tried an imp of Defututa and it goes sunblocky on me.)

 

I feel like Druid and Arcana are similar, and then Little Wooden Doll and Lyonesse are similar. And then I impulse bought Like the Very Gods 'cause I'm gay but it ended up being my dark horse holy grail summer perfume. So I guess I like deep green woody, loamy and herbal scents, then dry soft ambers, and then... uh, smelling like a magnetically beautiful ancient-world lesbian?

 

12 hours ago, MadEye said:

So I like the sweeter side of things and lavender. Apparently ambergris too. Would love some ideas as I'm going to make a big order soon 💓

 

I'm still pretty new to BPAL, but I got Baby's First Political Campaign with my latest order and it's such a lovely sweet lavender! The lavender seems quite strong and stand-out to me, and it sits on top of the ambrette seed, honey, and orange. I feel like the orange is really soft and gentle, not a bracing citrus at all.

Edited by amokslime
adding quote

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, yasmaniandevil said:

Reviving this thread! My top 5 are: Boomslang, Bastet, Bengal, Bien Loin D'ici, and Debauchery. All the B's and sometimes D's 😂I gravitate towards warm, musky, spicy scents with the occasional floral or gourmand thrown in. Thanks in advance!

 

So, it seems like we have similar tastes.  I wonder if you've tried Velvet, Tezcatlipoca, Blood Kiss, Bard and Scheherazade.  Those would be GC's I'd recommend.  You might try Shub-Niggurath as well, since you like spice, if you don't mind something that smells a little foody.  The Candy Butcher is a dark chocolate and honey smell in Carnival Diabolique. Red Lantern is also a classic Luper that would probably be up your ally.  As might Smut and Bright Red Dildo.  You might enjoy Psychodynamic Discharge as well, but it is not for the feint of heart. 

On 12/30/2021 at 11:08 PM, MadEye said:

My all time go-to that I think is the perfect scent: Snake Smut

Fave gourmand: Two Frames/Sugar Skull

For a hot Hong Kong day: Octopus and Abalone Diver

Sweet floral: Zorya P

Wish it were a daytime scent: TKO

 

So I like the sweeter side of things and lavender. Apparently ambergris too. Would love some ideas as I'm going to make a big order soon 💓

Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost is much sweeter than I would have guessed from the notes and has been compared to Zorya P..  The Air and Ether from the Yules isn't sugary, but it's a beautiful, smooth amber and lavender.  And have you tried Lyonesse?  I's got a really nice mix of vanilla, ambergris, and grey amber.  It's one of the few GC aquatics I really love. Have you read reviews of the Sugar Cookie Yules?  Since you like vanilla and sugar, there might be some tasties in there for you.  :) 

 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:29 AM, amokslime said:

My top 5 right now:

 

Druid

Arcana

The Little Wooden Doll

Lyonesse

Like the Very Gods (I tried an imp of Defututa and it goes sunblocky on me.)

 

I feel like Druid and Arcana are similar, and then Little Wooden Doll and Lyonesse are similar. And then I impulse bought Like the Very Gods 'cause I'm gay but it ended up being my dark horse holy grail summer perfume. So I guess I like deep green woody, loamy and herbal scents, then dry soft ambers, and then... uh, smelling like a magnetically beautiful ancient-world lesbian?

 

Hmmm... what stands out to me in Arcana is the frankincense. I wonder if you might like Anthony. It leans a little masculine to my nose, but it's very nice, and I enjoy wearing some of the more "masculine" fragrances. Titus Andronicus might be another you'd enjoy (Since you wanted ancient world. You'll have to provide your own lesbian though. 😜 ) The Apothecary is a very lovely, mossy herbal.  Have you tried Zombie?  Not one of my favorites, but it's a popular earth and roses scent. Bruised Violet Compound is sort of an earthy, enchanted forest smell for me, and the red currants give it a berry scent which I also get from Druid.   Lyonesse is one of the few GC scents with grey amber in it, and it's noticeable in the fragrance, so you might keep an eye out for that.  The Grey Columns features the note and is lovely.  You might also enjoy Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost.  I wonder if you'd like Odic Force if you enjoy lemon verbena.  It's got a fresh, citrus quality, but the white musk and amber make it sort of fuzzy.  Crystal Gazers also seems to share some notes with your preferred scents, but I have not smelled it. You might also like Auriga - either of them, though you'd have to keep an eye out on the sales and swaps forums.  

Edited by VetchVesper

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/3/2022 at 10:04 PM, VetchVesper said:

Hmmm... what stands out to me in Arcana is the frankincense. I wonder if you might like Anthony. It leans a little masculine to my nose, but it's very nice, and I enjoy wearing some of the more "masculine" fragrances. Titus Andronicus might be another you'd enjoy (Since you wanted ancient world. You'll have to provide your own lesbian though. 😜 ) The Apothecary is a very lovely, mossy herbal.  Have you tried Zombie?  Not one of my favorites, but it's a popular earth and roses scent. Bruised Violet Compound is sort of an earthy, enchanted forest smell for me, and the red currants give it a berry scent which I also get from Druid.   Lyonesse is one of the few GC scents with grey amber in it, and it's noticeable in the fragrance, so you might keep an eye out for that.  The Grey Columns features the note and is lovely.  You might also enjoy Cognac-Stained Sheet Ghost.  I wonder if you'd like Odic Force if you enjoy lemon verbena.  It's got a fresh, citrus quality, but the white musk and amber make it sort of fuzzy.  Crystal Gazers also seems to share some notes with your preferred scents, but I have not smelled it. You might also like Auriga - either of them, though you'd have to keep an eye out on the sales and swaps forums.  

 

I think you're right about frankincense, now that you mentioned it! I've tried a couple other imps that have it as an ingredient, and they always seemed to have a little extra something something I couldn't identify. Now I'm looking at the frankincense tag on the site with new eyes... 👀 Grey amber seems like another good guess. I love A Moonlit Winter Landscape, which also has grey amber!

 

Thanks for your suggestions! 😊 I've been especially curious about Antony and The Apothecary for a while. Might try imps of them next time.

Share this post


Link to post

@amokslime maybe keep an eye out for Sapphics: tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet. Fingers crossed it comes up in the Lupers this year! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2022 at 10:27 AM, roseus said:

@amokslime maybe keep an eye out for Sapphics: tonka, oakmoss, tolu balsam, grey amber, myrrh, and muguet. Fingers crossed it comes up in the Lupers this year! 

 

Oooh, those notes sound perfect. I also love oakmoss, tonka, and muguet. I hope it makes a Lupercalia appearance! 😊

Share this post


Link to post

Oh this is fun. I wish I had some contributions to the thread above, but I don't think I have anything useful to offer.

 

My top 5: 1.) Night; 2. Bien Loin D'Ici; 3.) Eve; 4.) Streets of Detroit; 5.) In Night When Colors All to Black Are Cast or Dee. I love them dearly, but I do not need more sweet, musky perfumes - I am looking for some "dry" options. Overall, I have learned that I enjoy BPAL's more complex perfumes. Though this list may tell you otherwise, I do like florals, particularly violet and rose.

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
×