Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

So we have lots of threads based on particular notes or moods you like, but I would love a recommendation thread based on our top five favorites!!

My favorites, in order:

1. Banshee beat

2. Saint fountain de Versailles

3. Aged morocco

4. La lalugubre gondola

5. Variety of pleasing amusements

Based on those, can you think of some I should try? And what is your top five for us to base our recommendations on?

So we have lots of threads based on particular notes or moods you like, but I would love a recommendation thread based on our top five favorites!!

My favorites, in order:

1. Banshee beat

3. Aged morocco

4. La lalugubre gondola

Based on those, can you think of some I should try? And what is your top five for us to base our recommendations on?

If you like Banshee Beat, I always suggest Goblin. Its GC, and is very similar in 'mood' as you put it. The same patchouli, but with benzoin and black coconut instead of vanilla and hemp. It still dries to this utterly amazing, dark sweet sinful hippy smell... but with a kick of warmed and blackened coconut. This is my 2nd fave, right after BB. :smilenod:

If you like Banshee Beat (and Goblin) then I suggest Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure. (btw, my imp of Goblin has finally reached the age when the patchouli doesn't bite my head off, and I can smell the coconut and benzoin. Nice call, Mellifluous.)

I don't know the other scents on your list, Ella, so I can't suggest a perfect scent based on a confluence of notes. Which I'm sorry about. But I can keep the game going.

My Top Five Scents:

1. Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Ridge

2. Banshee Beat

3. Midnight on the Midway

4. Boomslang V2

5. For more delicate moods, maybe Lovers in a Rice Field, or Tamamo no Mae

1. Hellion V.2 Black plum, champaca flower, dark musk, patchouli, narcissus and scorched sandalwood

2. Our Lady of Pain Sumatran Patchouli, blood musk, white lavender, opium tar, and black orchid

3. A Thought From Propertius Sweet honey, white apricot, and a touch of cayenne pepper

4. The Soul of La Traviata Black plum, black musk, black currant, iridescent pink grapefruit, neroli, and jungle orchid

5. Coyote Amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk

EDIT:

added notes

Edited by DJ Sin

1. Hellion V.2

2. Our Lady of Pain

3. A Thought From Propertius

4. The Soul of La Traviata

5. Coyote

For Propertius, maybe Tanuki no Orai, Fae, or Aglaea? I love Coyote, but I really can't think of anything similar to it that I've tried.

And just for grins, my top 5 at the moment:

Sin

The Butterfly

Aglaea

Miaiphonos

The East

Oh, this is a great idea. I need to think about recommendations (I'm not very good at it, but I'll try!) so I'll come back to the thread later.

In the meantime, my top five are:

1) Snake Charmer

2) Snake Oil (aged)

3) Smut (2011 is my favorite year)

4) Under the Harvest Moon

5) Dorian

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)

5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

skyeleric:

Based on Aglaea, what about Peach II or Tamora?

DJ Sin:

A Thought From Propertius was mostly bubblegum and honey on me, so these might be a little off, but you could look at Door or Jailbait.

1. Hellion V.2

2. Our Lady of Pain

5. Coyote

The orchid makes me think Die Sundë, Vom Tod Verfolgt because it feels similar to Our Lady of Pain. http://www.bpal.org/topic/78647-die-sunde-vom-tod-verfolgt/page__p__2226653__hl__pickman__fromsearch__1#entry2226653

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

Pink Plastic Flamingo (dandelion pink yumminess)

Yemaya (melon-y clean smelling)

Olokun

Edited by Caper

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

They may not be the easiest to find, but I would track down Lawn Gnome, Pink Lace, L'Essence De L'Engouement, Kitty, and Velvet Unicorn.

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

skyeleric:

Based on Aglaea, what about Peach II or Tamora?

Have you tried Kumiho? It's not got the citrus feel of Embalming Fluid (which is actually one of my warm weather faves) but it has the same light clean vibe to it. Shattered might work as well.

Ogun has a distinct melon note just like Twinkle...Bat, but the other notes might disagree with you--I can wear Bat but not Ogun.

For Boober, maybe Dirty? Or Paranorman's Salma (Crisp linen, a smudge of ballpoint pen ink, soap-touched skin, apple shampoo, and effervescent science fair experiment residue)? And for one more random fruity thing, how about Bon Vivant (effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry)?

:lol: I actually own Peach II, it is really pretty; Tamora, sadly, like most of the female Illyria scents, ends up shampoo/hairspray for reasons I can't figure out.

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel2) Embalming Fluid3) Boober4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little BatAny thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd second Velvet Unicorn and suggest Candy Phoenix, Dirty, Shang Hai, The Unicorn and Titania. And Wensleydale for the clean, fresh scent, even though I personally haven't tried that one yet.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with the other Top 5s to make recommendations. :blush:

Here are my current (ever-changing) Top 5:

1. The Unicorn (my ultimate grail)

2. Whip

3. Boo

4. Hope

5. Candy Phoenix

My top 5:

The Soldier

Black Rider

Placophobia

Yog Sothoth

Totentanz

None of you like things I am familiar with, so sorry about my uselessness with reccing.

Oh, this is a great idea. I need to think about recommendations (I'm not very good at it, but I'll try!) so I'll come back to the thread later.

In the meantime, my top five are:

1) Snake Charmer

2) Snake Oil (aged)

3) Smut (2011 is my favorite year)

4) Under the Harvest Moon

5) Dorian

I can help with this list!

Try Madame moriarty

Aged morocco

September midnights

Et lux fuit

Hygia

My top 5:

The Soldier

Black Rider

Placophobia

Yog Sothoth

Totentanz

None of you like things I am familiar with, so sorry about my uselessness with reccing.

If you like Totentanz then you'll probably like Hope and Fear Set Free

I have never tried Black Rider but I love Haute Macabre and think most leather lovers will love it!

1. Hellion V.2

2. Our Lady of Pain

5. Coyote

The orchid makes me think Die Sundë, Vom Tod Verfolgt because it feels similar to Our Lady of Pain. http://www.bpal.org/topic/78647-die-sunde-vom-tod-verfolgt/page__p__2226653__hl__pickman__fromsearch__1#entry2226653

Oh I am gonna have to check these out! Thank you!

1. Hellion V.22. Our Lady of Pain3. A Thought From Propertius4. The Soul of La Traviata5. CoyoteBased on those, can you think of some I should try? And what is your top five for us to base our recommendations on?
For Propertius, maybe Tanuki no Orai, Fae, or Aglaea? I love Coyote, but I really can't think of anything similar to it that I've tried.And just for grins, my top 5 at the moment:SinThe ButterflyAglaeaMiaiphonosThe East

I tried Aglaea but may need to retest it. Haven't tried Fae nor Tanuki No Orai (I have tracked down a few of the Tanuki series and love them!)

I seems to favour a somewhat different scent profile than most of the people already playing along, but what the heck:1) Spinning Multicoloured Metallic Pinwheel2) Embalming Fluid3) Boober4) Strawberry Moon '09 (with the grass and dandelion sap)5) Twinkle, Twinkle, Little BatAny thoughts would be greatly appreciated.skyeleric:Based on Aglaea, what about Peach II or Tamora?DJ Sin:A Thought From Propertius was mostly bubblegum and honey on me, so these might be a little off, but you could look at Door or Jailbait.

Didn't think I would like Jailbait but I will look into it. Thanks!!!

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

I also have to rec Kumiho if you like Embalming Fluid! I love both of them, but I love Kumiho slightly more, and I can't put my finger on why, exactly--maybe it just feels crisper to me. The recent Yule Eldritch Drunken Constellations was also fantastic in that vein if you like ambergris at all (it adds a sort of warm and salty foamy quality to the brightness of the tea that might be comparable to the warmth of musk). Herbert West is also very similar to Embalming Fluid, in my experience, with a slightly more astringent cologne-y quality that actually really works. And Shanghai is the sweet flowers and green tea equivalent.

For Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat, Bon Vivant also springs to my mind, they both have that awesome champagne note. Twenty-One had it, too, to my nose, along with some of that herbal quality. And then maybe 51 (green and melony and fruity and fresh) or the (sadly) soon to be discontinued Ehecatl, which is tea and hibiscus and white musk with that zingy zesty quality of lime. For an LE in that vein, Tanuki no Hikifune has that warm fresh melony quality, I think! For Strawberry Moon, I found Self-Portrait With Puffy Stickers from the Tremulous Song update to have a similar . . . quality, I guess (and some similar notes).

Anyone who likes sweet springlike candylike florals should probably check out Reflected Vulva from the current Shungas, too--it's very sweet, very sugary, very nice almost fruity spring flowers and SUGARY sugared cream. But sweet scents can sometimes be too much for me, and it wasn't. Lovers in the Tea House was also sweet and fresh and smooth and springlike and really nice, though a lot less sweet (still sweet, but more fresh and with other qualities).

Here are my current (ever-changing) Top 5:

1. The Unicorn (my ultimate grail)

2. Whip

3. Boo

4. Hope

5. Candy Phoenix

For Whip, maybe Harlot? It's another warm rose scent with one other note to liven it up. For Boo, maybe Dana O'Shee--it's almondy, but also sweet and milky and comforting, though not as vanilla-sweet in the same way. Go To Sleep, Darlings from the recent Yules was also soft and sweet, though not in the same vanilla-cotton-cream way. I can't think of anything quite like Boo, though I feel like there are probably ones out there I haven't tried!

I'm not as sure about the others!

Though:

And just for grins, my top 5 at the moment:

Sin

The Butterfly

Aglaea

Miaiphonos

The East

The Temptation was really peach rice candy to my nose. Not nearly as sweet or heady as Aglaea, but quite nice. Maybe Josie might work for Aglaea? I really haven't got a clue about most of the others!

As for me, hmmm.

1. Kumiho

2. Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

My top 5:

1. Count Dracula

2. Blood Kiss

3. Womb Furie

4. Knight in Shiny Armor

5. Love

2) Embalming Fluid

3) Boober

I second Yemaya for melony goodness. If you want more dandelion, you may want to check out Roadhouse, though the rest of your notes might not be your thing. Also, Aurelia and Stentor from last year's Song of Nature series, for berry, tea, and mint. :smilenod:

My top 5:

The Soldier

Black Rider

Placophobia

Yog Sothoth

Totentanz

Have you tried Count Dracula? It's hard to find, but would fit right in there. You might also enjoy Les Infortunes de la Vertu (leather and moss), The Marquis de Carabas (boozy leather comfort), Wolf Moon '13 (dark and somewhat "airy"), and Zmey Gorynych (warm resins and leather with a touch of frost).

My top picks switch around a bit depending on my mood, but these always get along with me:

1. Atlas ... Mallow, oak bark, coffee bean, hinoki wood, and khus.

2. French Tobacco SN ... A very faint citrus-like twang and an almost animalic caramel richness.

3. Black Pearl ... Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk

4. Satan & Death with Sin Intervening ... Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

4. White Rider ... White leather and sandalwood.

My top 5:

1. Count Dracula

2. Blood Kiss

3. Womb Furie

4. Knight in Shiny Armor

5. Love

For Dracula, maybe Old Demons of the First Class, VILF or Crypt King (I know, that one's a PITA to find).

Mme. Moriarty I think might be a bit similar to Blood Kiss and Womb Furie. Or Pickled Imp.

Jareth for Knight. And it's not super similar but for some reason the soft rose from Seance coupled with the creamy hazel makes me think it's in the same line as Love.

As for me, hmmm.

1. Kumiho

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

I think Baobhan Sith is sort of like a grapefruit version of Kumiho. White Rabbit is a nice clean tea as well.

Haven't tried Feel-Better Flowers but I'd guess TKO or Fairy Bites might be similar. You'd probably like Capax Infiniti too.

The Lilac Wood sounds very green and the most fresh, grassy oil I've tried is probably The Passionate Shepherd to His Love.

Spirits of the Dead for Holiday Moon. Silence is really lovely if you can find it.

There's actually a whole thread dedicated to scents similar to The Unicorn! I think The East has its own thing going on but it does evoke a similar vibe. Same with Enchanted Wood Florist which seems to fit with your love of fresh scents.

Edited by Balame

1. Kumiho

3. The Lilac Wood

4. Holiday Moon

5. The Unicorn

Kumiho - perhaps Aizen-Myoo or Theodosius (slightly sharper version of Dorian on me) would be nice!

Lilith's Feel-Better Flowers - I'm not familiar with this blend, but you might like Gladdener of All Hearts, maybe.

The Unicorn - I'm another Unicorn lover (in fact the one that started the unicorn thread mentioned by Balame!) Fairy Market has the same crystalline gorgeousness for me but it's possibly a blend that's even harder to find. :c If you're a linden blossom lover like me, Boober and Cottonmouth sound like they could be wins! I've read that All They Had Seen, and All They Had Lost has similarities to The Unicorn as well. I especially like the sound of Leanan Sidhe, Rosalind and The Wild Swans at Coole as well.

My top 5:

1. Count Dracula

2. Blood Kiss

3. Womb Furie

4. Knight in Shiny Armor

5. Love

I'm unfamiliar with the rest, but I think you might like Hope and Pink Snowballs very much if you like Love!

------------------

I wish I could help more, but I'm unfamiliar with most of the other scents. :blush:

Edited by Xylis

My top picks switch around a bit depending on my mood, but these always get along with me:

2. French Tobacco SN ... A very faint citrus-like twang and an almost animalic caramel richness.

4. Satan & Death with Sin Intervening ... Opoponax, benzoin, orange blossom, mahogany, karakarounde, white tea and vetiver.

Ones to try:

Vixen for satan and death

Dee for white rider

If you are a French tobacco fan then you HAVE to try variety of pleasing amusements and perversion. And autumn lace! That one too!

and you may like mama ji for black pearl:)

Edited by Ella LaRose

Oh, this is neat!

My current top five, in no particular order:

Autumn Lace

Wolf Spider

The Ghost Children

Redoul Honey

Port Royal

I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the blends in the other posts for apologies for not recommending anything at the moment!

My suggestions for you would be The Organ Grinder, Captain Cully, Phoenix in Autumn, Frank Burns, and Half-Elf.

Oh, this is neat!

My current top five, in no particular order:

Autumn Lace

Wolf Spider

The Ghost Children

Redoul Honey

Port Royal

I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the blends in the other posts for apologies for not recommending anything at the moment!

For you I would say Schmendrick, Lawful, Wings of Azrael, Bewitched, and Lamia.

My top 5 are:

Tavern of Hell

R'Lyeh

Light of Men's Lives

No. 93 Engine

(aged) Defututa (less cinnamon-y, more tropical)

Edited by BoneBone24

My favorites, in order:

1. Banshee beat

3. Aged morocco

4. La lalugubre gondola

Ella, we like a lot in common, so I would suggest trying Womb Furie, which is one of my favorites, Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure, and Lust.

My top 5 are:

1. Womb Furie

2. Tombeur

3. Epomorphorus Monstrosus

4: Spellbound

5: Banshee Beat