Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

Vthesiren - Ooo, you might try Tag Upon Avon. Someone recommended it to me b/c I normally don't like tobacco, but I love Perversion. It is indeed the same note w/a gentle foodie quality that I'm guessing you'd like b/c of your Cockaigne love. It does have a hint of anise not mentioned in the notes though, so I don't know if that's a plus or aminus for you. :)

Edited by VetchVesper

This is me shopping for a friend's birthday! She doesn't like many scents that aren't foodie, but I think she'd branch out a little bit in some cases. I got her three scents and a bunch of imps for Christmas and she now wears perfume every day and gets mad if she forgot to put some on, and is interested in more stuff from BPAL.

The scents she likes are:

Frumious Bandersnatch (discontinued, but she had tried it years ago when she was living with me): Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

Rose Red: The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

Miskatonic University: The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

El Dia de Los Reyes: Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar.

Raspberry Sufganiyot: Sugar-sprinkled sufganiyot filled with sweet raspberry jelly.

Strawberry Moon: Wild strawberries, strawberry flower, vanilla-infused sugar, early summer grasses, and milky dandelion sap.

I gave her imps of Bordello and Bathsheba so that might cover the plum category. I also already gave her an imp of Eat Me. But I'd love recommendations from anyone who has more similar taste to hers than I do.

This is me shopping for a friend's birthday! She doesn't like many scents that aren't foodie, but I think she'd branch out a little bit in some cases. I got her three scents and a bunch of imps for Christmas and she now wears perfume every day and gets mad if she forgot to put some on, and is interested in more stuff from BPAL.

The scents she likes are:

Frumious Bandersnatch (discontinued, but she had tried it years ago when she was living with me): Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

Rose Red: The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut.

Miskatonic University: The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

El Dia de Los Reyes: Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar.

Raspberry Sufganiyot: Sugar-sprinkled sufganiyot filled with sweet raspberry jelly.

Strawberry Moon: Wild strawberries, strawberry flower, vanilla-infused sugar, early summer grasses, and milky dandelion sap.

I gave her imps of Bordello and Bathsheba so that might cover the plum category. I also already gave her an imp of Eat Me. But I'd love recommendations from anyone who has more similar taste to hers than I do.

I am not helpful with the fruity ones, really, but Rose...

She should try (from the GC) The Rose for another straight up rose that is GC instead of LE. Whip (rose and leather) Harlot (rose and cinnamon) Maiden (tea, carnation, rose) Spellbound (rose, amber, musk) Phantom (Myrrh, musk, rose, ylang ylang) to name a few.

And for Chocolate (if she likes El Dia) she might also try Gelt while Yules are still live (amber and chocolate) or Bliss (pure chocolate) or Candy Butcher (oh so good chocolate and something intangible that makes it amazing).

Unfortunately there really aren't any other GC coffee scents besides Misk U. There were are a few amazing LE ones if she's willing to hunt them down (Morning in New Orleans, Guatemalan Coffee SN, The Worst Pillow) or there's A Dusky Shroud which is a coffee scent available from the Post right now (mine hasn't arrived yet, so I couldn't tell you if it's good!)

I would also just mention that A Shadow in the Elevator, which I believe has not sold out yet, is one of the most amazing plum scents I have ever smelled.

I'm interested to play this game! Help me down the rabbit hole please :D my top 5 so far are:

Cake Smash (This is the first scent that is not completely foody or completely floral that I love to death!)

Marie (This is a bit overwhelming for me, but I think I'm slathering too much - plus it's lovely layered with a vanilla)

Kurukulla

Hellcat

White Chocolate Mango Buttercream (I know others say this goes sharp on them, but this is a pretty soft fruity scent on me - I don't like scents that are super overwhelmingly fruity.)

I also have samples/decants of O, Dorian, Des Vos Unicorn, and some Snake Oil from 2011 coming my way that I think I'll like as well...any other recs? LE or GC, I'm willing to go on a hunt!

I'm interested to play this game! Help me down the rabbit hole please :D my top 5 so far are:

Cake Smash (This is the first scent that is not completely foody or completely floral that I love to death!)

Marie (This is a bit overwhelming for me, but I think I'm slathering too much - plus it's lovely layered with a vanilla)

Kurukulla

Hellcat

White Chocolate Mango Buttercream (I know others say this goes sharp on them, but this is a pretty soft fruity scent on me - I don't like scents that are super overwhelmingly fruity.)

I also have samples/decants of O, Dorian, Des Vos Unicorn, and some Snake Oil from 2011 coming my way that I think I'll like as well...any other recs? LE or GC, I'm willing to go on a hunt!

It looks like you like both sweet/vanilla-y foodies and florals (or at least roses). De Vos's Unicorn is a good sugared/creamy floral that I definitely recommend (I think it might be my fave of the unicorns). Others you might want to try:

Allegory of Chastity - another of the recently discontinued Unicorns. This one's a rose/vanilla cream/jasmine combo. A lot of people find it very similar to De Vos (which is apricot, rose, lavender, white musk, and marshmallow), but on me it was a strongly floral sweet rose that was completely different from De Vos's ethereal fruity-floral-pastel-marshmallow scent. It's the only jasmine that's never gone bad on me.
Eat Me - (GC) vanilla cake and black current. If you like Cake Smash, it may be worth a try.
Bastet - (GC) amber, "Egyptian musk," saffron, cardamon, myrrh, almond, and lotus. Hellcat is basically pure almond extract on me - Bastet is a slightly more complex scent while still having a predominant almond note.
Eden - (GC) Fig, almond, coconut, and sandalwood. Another almond-heavy scent that's nearly as sweet as Hellcat.
Poor Monkey - Currently-available Yule LE. If Kurukulla is more lotus than rose on you, you may like this one - it's a creamy fig/vanilla/lotus/ylang ylang combo with a strong lotus note, like crisp, juicy fruit.
The Bear Prince - another current Yule. I've never tried this one, but it's apparently a soft rose with a sweet snow note and fuzzy musk and a lot of people really love it.

Kurukulla

Hellcat

It looks like you like both sweet/vanilla-y foodies and florals (or at least roses). De Vos's Unicorn is a good sugared/creamy floral that I definitely recommend (I think it might be my fave of the unicorns). Others you might want to try: [/size]

Allegory of Chastity - another of the recently discontinued Unicorns. This one's a rose/vanilla cream/jasmine combo. A lot of people find it very similar to De Vos (which is apricot, rose, lavender, white musk, and marshmallow), but on me it was a strongly floral sweet rose that was completely different from De Vos's ethereal fruity-floral-pastel-marshmallow scent. It's the only jasmine that's never gone bad on me.

Eat Me - (GC) vanilla cake and black current. If you like Cake Smash, it may be worth a try.

Bastet - (GC) amber, "Egyptian musk," saffron, cardamon, myrrh, almond, and lotus. Hellcat is basically pure almond extract on me - Bastet is a slightly more complex scent while still having a predominant almond note.

Eden - (GC) Fig, almond, coconut, and sandalwood. Another almond-heavy scent that's nearly as sweet as Hellcat.

Poor Monkey - Currently-available Yule LE. If Kurukulla is more lotus than rose on you, you may like this one - it's a creamy fig/vanilla/lotus/ylang ylang combo with a strong lotus note, like crisp, juicy fruit.

The Bear Prince - another current Yule. I've never tried this one, but it's apparently a soft rose with a sweet snow note and fuzzy musk and a lot of people really love it.

Thanks for the great reply! I've been eyeing Eat Me for a while actually, but never knew what currant was supposed to smell like. Maybe I'll try to snag that and a couple others you mentioned!

printf-username - you might also try GC scents of Blood Lotus and Blood Rose. They are both sweet, bright florals. Also, perhaps Fourette's Purple Snails, last year's luper, or Le Befana since you like Marie and it's half violet. You might also like Hope and Faith. They are both sugared florals and when mixed make a softer sweeter sort of Marie scent.

PrinceofCats and LizzieLuck - Actually, there is another GC with coffee AND rose! :) Matahari. It's not my favorite, but it is unique and you can smell both notes. Might be worth a try.

In no particular order, my Top Five Scents are:

1) Brisingamen

2) Morocco

3) Edith Cushing

4) Pediophobia

5) Blossoming Vulva (because I had a hard time picking a #5, and this is the one that got me into BPAL)

For what it's worth, I also really like Snake Oil (who doesn't?!?) and the four Snake Oil-based scents I've tried -- Womb Furie, Boomslang, Saw-Scaled Viper, and Temple Viper. My death note is rose! And while I really like most of the lab's amber, I've recently discovered that Jacob's Ladder and I absolutely do NOT get along.

Wise forces of the BPAL forums, I unleash you!

1) Brisingamen

2) Morocco

3) Edith Cushing

4) Pediophobia

5) Blossoming Vulva (because I had a hard time picking a #5, and this is the one that got me into BPAL)

For what it's worth, I also really like Snake Oil (who doesn't?!?) and the four Snake Oil-based scents I've tried -- Womb Furie, Boomslang, Saw-Scaled Viper, and Temple Viper. My death note is rose! And while I really like most of the lab's amber, I've recently discovered that Jacob's Ladder and I absolutely do NOT get along.

I, too, enjoy the lab's amber note. Have you tried Oblivion? Same base note as Morocco, but with a very different set of top notes.

1) Brisingamen

2) Morocco

3) Edith Cushing

4) Pediophobia

I, too, enjoy the lab's amber note. Have you tried Oblivion? Same base note as Morocco, but with a very different set of top notes.

I have not! It's good to know it's the same one as Morocco, though, because Morocco is lovely on me. Jacob's Ladder has left me a bit wary of picking up anything with amber in it now because that one went STRAIGHT to fancy baby powder on me -- and then proceeded to have an exceedingly long wear time, probably out of spite.

printf-username - you might also try GC scents of Blood Lotus and Blood Rose. They are both sweet, bright florals. Also, perhaps Fourette's Purple Snails, last year's luper, or Le Befana since you like Marie and it's half violet. You might also like Hope and Faith. They are both sugared florals and when mixed make a softer sweeter sort of Marie scent.

PrinceofCats and LizzieLuck - Actually, there is another GC with coffee AND rose! :) Matahari. It's not my favorite, but it is unique and you can smell both notes. Might be worth a try.

Oh NO. Hope and Faith sound soooo dang good. How did I miss those?? Pardon me as I violently add them to my cart.

My top 5 scents are:

1. Dorian

2. Perversion

3. The Waltz

4. Krampus

5. A Phantasmagoria: Conjuring An Armed Skeleton

What would you all recommend? Thanks in advance!

I f

My top 5 scents are:

1. Dorian

2. Perversion

3. The Waltz

4. Krampus

I find Wilde to be like Dorian's older, more sophisticated, more complex brother.

I f

My top 5 scents are:

1. Dorian

2. Perversion

3. The Waltz

4. Krampus

I find Wilde to be like Dorian's older, more sophisticated, more complex brother.

See, I never got on with Wilde! It also struck me as more masculine whereas Dorian is slightly more feminine. I did try that one a while back but I was underwhelmed.

RoseMartyr - have you tried Tag Upon Avon or Hellfire (GC)? Jolabokaflod is also really nice cozy leather with some smoke, if you like chocolate. It's not a foody chocolate, more like dry cocao powder. TUA reminds me of a nice, family friendly Perversion, (hah) with a similar tobacco note and cookie bits instead of booze, and Hellfire is another beautiful unisex, leather and tobacco combo.

Also, if you like that champagne note, the Magi is lovely, and Bon Vivant smells like pure champagne on me - like a spilled a bottle on myself. O_O The strawberry isn't super sugary sweet.

RoseMartyr - have you tried Tag Upon Avon or Hellfire (GC)? Jolabokaflod is also really nice cozy leather with some smoke, if you like chocolate. It's not a foody chocolate, more like dry cocao powder. TUA reminds me of a nice, family friendly Perversion, (hah) with a similar tobacco note and cookie bits instead of booze, and Hellfire is another beautiful unisex, leather and tobacco combo.

Also, if you like that champagne note, the Magi is lovely, and Bon Vivant smells like pure champagne on me - like a spilled a bottle on myself. O_O The strawberry isn't super sugary sweet.

I've ordered a bottle of Jolabokaflod from BPTP so looks like I made the right choice! Not tried Tag Upon Avon so I'll have to hunt one down and I'm not tried Helfire but someone recently sent it to me as a frimp so hopefully it was meant to be. Not tried Magi either! Bon Vivant is really pretty but it was a little too light for me . . . and as you say - like a spillage! Thank you for the suggestions - I'm looking forward to trying these out.

I'll play...here are my current favorite GCs

Vice

Euphrosyne

Dragon's Bone

Tlazolteotl

Ranger

and for bonus, Melisande The Puppet Mistress, but I'm not sure it counts as it is Carnaval scent.

What else would you recommend I check out?

I love both Dragon's Bone and Melisande. <3. Try King Cobra from CD if you haven't already. It's a beautiful, incensey orris, plus it's got copal in it like in Tlazolteotl, which I also like.

I haven't tried Vice, but Bliss was good enough to get my non foodie self slathering like a fiend!

Also, you might be interested Signor Dildo? I actually haven't tried it, but it sounds like it might be up your alley. "A scent of pearls and ivory: orris, violet leaf, narcissus, and Madagascar vanilla."

In no particular order:

Outlaw

Dee

Smokestack

Tombeur

Unicorn & Ram

Honorable mention goes to Fighter, but I wear that mainly as a comfort scent and not so much as full on perfume.

RobberBaroness - For Snake Oil - any of the Carnival Diabolique snake scents that appeal to you would be worth a try, or Vixen, which is GC. For Baobhan Sith, try Kumiho, Aizen Myu, or Ladon (for the apple blossom). If you are feeling adventurous Cherrophobia from the Yules is a happy, creamy, sweet citrus, or perhaps Pere Noel.

Lillice - For Outlaw, Doc Constantine's Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener! Also, Tombstone. For Dee, Jolabokaflod from the Trading Post is really nice and cozy, and made me think of Dee, b/ I haven't done a side by side comparison. Djinn reminds me of Smokestack. Prurience is another nice vetiver, but can lean masculine. I wear it though! :)

I haven't smelled Unicorn and Ram, but I know Marquis de Carrabas also has a "wool" note, and smells lovely before I put it on MY skin, which apparently hates wool. :(

Whew! :eek: That's a lot or recs! Hope it helps. Do let me know if I'm way off base on these. :smilenod:

Thank you VetchVesper for your input.

I love Tombstone. It is nearly a cedar single note to my nose with a hint of vanilla and makes me feel like a fancy pencil. I have Stimulating Sassafras on my list to try but I am a bit scared that the butter note will turn rancid on me.

I nearly bought Jolabokaflod but then I saw that it also had a chocolate not which put me off.

I have an imp of Djinn but it must not have made an impression because I wore it once and forgot about it. I will go search my impbox and try it again.

It's funny, I never associated Smokestack with vetiver because I have vetiver EO here and I don't like it much so I stayed away from blends that have vetiver listed. I will have to look deeper into that.

Well somehow the Marquis de Carrabas must have escaped my radar because I have browsed the shop many times I can't remember him even though the notes sound right up my alley. Will see if I can find a decant.

In no particular order:

Outlaw

Dee

Smokestack

Tombeur

Unicorn & Ram

Honorable mention goes to Fighter, but I wear that mainly as a comfort scent and not so much as full on perfume.

I will be watching this closely, as Smokestack is one of my all-time favorites as well. Dark Chocolate, Blackened Tobacco, and Vetiver has been suggested to me in the past. Also Agnes Nutter, though it's unimpable. If it looks good to you and you'd be interested in going halves or a bottle, or a decant, please please let me know!