Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

RobberBaroness - For Snake Oil - any of the Carnival Diabolique snake scents that appeal to you would be worth a try, or Vixen, which is GC. For Baobhan Sith, try Kumiho, Aizen Myu, or Ladon (for the apple blossom). If you are feeling adventurous Cherrophobia from the Yules is a happy, creamy, sweet citrus, or perhaps Pere Noel.

Lillice - For Outlaw, Doc Constantine's Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener! Also, Tombstone. For Dee, Jolabokaflod from the Trading Post is really nice and cozy, and made me think of Dee, b/ I haven't done a side by side comparison. Djinn reminds me of Smokestack. Prurience is another nice vetiver, but can lean masculine. I wear it though! :)

I haven't smelled Unicorn and Ram, but I know Marquis de Carrabas also has a "wool" note, and smells lovely before I put it on MY skin, which apparently hates wool. :(

Whew! :eek: That's a lot or recs! Hope it helps. Do let me know if I'm way off base on these. :smilenod:

Thanks! Coral Snake especially looks amazing.

My five favorites, in no particular order, are probably

Snake Oil

Baobhan Sith

Alice

Dorian

Fluers du Mal

What should I try next?

well who is this beautiful lady???

You've heard my recs before but here's a few thoughts.

Sed non Satiata: A pounding heartbeat coalesced into scent: demonic passion and brutal sexuality manifested through myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk. This is very similar to Snake Oil on me, with more tuberose and a hint of cognac, and lots of honey. I wear this one to work a lot in the bakery because it overpowers the gross notes but doesn't clash with the food notes. It's not "me", yet I'm addicted to its sexy honey smells.

Euphrosyne: Gardenia, tea rose, vanilla and jasmine. I meant to ask if you had this one already because i got a second frimp of it and was going to send it to you if you didn't have it, but I don't currently have anything else I'm sending you so I'm not sure when. This is very flowery but also very laced with vanilla. Something about it reminds me of lemon cupcakes, and I have absolutely no idea why, but I think you'd like it if you haven't tried it yet.

Tweedledee: Kumquat, white pepper, white tea and orange blossom. I don't have this anymore, but it was a crisp orange blossom. I really liked it.

You might also like Fae, which was way too sweet/edible for my tastes but still a sparkly faery scent (I'd have liked it if the oakmoss was stronger, but alas), Dragon's Milk if you're willing to risk the dragonsblood (I think this scent is absolutely gorgeous and super, super edible but in a fairy food kind of way; i also think clove might be what note you were objecting to before, so you might want to give dragonsblood another shot?), La Belle Au Bois Dormant (i don't think i like plumeria but the rest of this was lovely), Titania (ethereal fruits!), and if you're willing to spend the money, I think you'd love Lady Una.

Terribly hard to narrow down to five, but let's go with, in no particular order:

Pinched With Four Aces

Orpheus (the DC'd Salon, not the unicorn)

Oak King v4

The Bride

Unicorn & Ram

...man I wish I had more GC favourites. XD (In the GC, Golden Priapus and The Old Goblin lead the field.)

Oh! Oh! Do mine, please!

1. Obatala

2. Hell's Belle

3. Blueberry Picking

4. Poisoned Apple

5. Avunculus

The only one of your five I've tried was Obatala, but I thought it was really similar to Black Pearl (Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk) and I really loved both of them! Black Pearl had less of a milky feel to me and more of a dark mysterious undertone...

If anyone has recommendations similar to these I'd be over the moooon :)

1. The Waltz (Champagne Musk, Ambergris, White Rose, Rosewood, Vanilla Amber)

2. This Wan White Humming Hive (White Patchouli Leaf, Beeswax, Ambergris, Pale Incense)

3. Port-Au-Prince (Buttered Rum, Almond, Bay, Clove, Sassafras)

4. Vasilissa (Creamy skin musk, pink musk, sandalwood, white amber, myrrh, star jasmine.)

Oh! Oh! Do mine, please!

1. Obatala

2. Hell's Belle

3. Blueberry Picking

4. Poisoned Apple

5. Avunculus

If you like both Obatala and Avunculus, you'll probably like Lovers and a Fan from the 2015 Lupers ("White coconut, thick wildflower honey, and threads of saffron"). It's a hard-to-find LE like most Luper stand-outs, but it's a lovely fresh honeyed coconut with a tiny hint of saffron.

I second Black Pearl, which is a more ethereal scent-sibling to Obatala, and you may also want to check out Hidden Pearl from last year's Lupers, which is basically Black Pearl with the addition of a bit of pear stem (slightly less sweet than Black Pearl and with hints of fresh pear note in the early stages).

I'm well into my second bottle of Black Pearl and nearly ready for another bottle of Obatala because I wear them both so much in the summer.

Tau - I'm sorry, I haven't tried any of your LE's. :( Have you tried Water Ghost though? It has a cool freshness mixed with more masculine woody notes that reminded me of The Old Goblin. Unfortunately, neither worked well for me, but perhaps WG would perform well for you.

WTFRandom - for Obatala, you might also try The Sea Foams Milk, it's got a similar cool, clean, and refreshing vibe. Giljaguar was a Yule scent from 2015 with a beautiful, slightly foodie, creamy coconut. You can probably still find some of it on the forum.

Zealotry - For Port Au Prince, you might try Voodoo or Neverwhere's Marquis de Carabas. If you like foodie almond and cinnamon, Inferno is yummy. Hecate and Black Phoenix are also rich and almond heavy.

Terribly hard to narrow down to five, but let's go with, in no particular order:

Pinched With Four Aces

Orpheus (the DC'd Salon, not the unicorn)

Oak King v4

The Bride

Unicorn & Ram

...man I wish I had more GC favourites. XD (In the GC, Golden Priapus and The Old Goblin lead the field.)

Mrs. Dunbar smelled a bit similar to The Bride to me.

Speak! Speak! from last year's Weenies also had a similar fuzzy brown note like Unicorn & Ram. Étude de Déshabillé (the recent Luper; black amber, 7-year aged patchouli, cashmeran, and tobacco leaf) might be up your alley if you haven't tried it out already. It smelled quite warm and almost woody to me in person.

I'm totally shocked none of my favorites appeared here yet

1: Nyx (my very most favorite love)

tied for 2-5: Kitsune-tsuki, Fae, Viola, Florence

It's so hard for me to predict what things I'm going to like, I'm never sure how to parse descriptions and individual notes. Can't wait to try some new stuff.

I'm totally shocked none of my favorites appeared here yet

1: Nyx (my very most favorite love)

tied for 2-5: Kitsune-tsuki, Fae, Viola, Florence

It's so hard for me to predict what things I'm going to like, I'm never sure how to parse descriptions and individual notes. Can't wait to try some new stuff.

New Orleans and Obsidian Widow have Nyx's jasmine note, I believe. For florals along the lines of Kitsune and Fae, you might also try Titania, Elf, and Endymion, Aeval, and La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente. These are all GC's.

I'm also a fan of Kitsune-tsuki and am hoping Qui Aime Bien Chatie Bien will have a similar bright floral quality, but I haven't tried it yet. :) It's - Daffodil petals and lavender tulips, blonde woods, freesia, and a touch of pale honey.

Eshe, A Vision of Life in Death has both jasmine and orchid and is a beautiful, heavy, exotic floral. Lady Lucille Sharpe is also exquisite if you can find it.

Edited by VetchVesper

Ok, time to give this a try! In no particular order, my top 5 are:

Glaucous Snow

Muse

The Bear Prince

Ivanushka

Blauer Mond

Any suggestions?

Let's try this ;)

In no particular order:

Edith Cushing

Teatime in Roswell

Moment in Time

Atlas

A Thousand Thoughts, Hopes and Joys

Honorable mentions: Alice and Liz

Ahh it's been forever since I've done one of these!

Ok here I go again:

1) The Girl

2) Parsifal

3) Pediophobia

4) The Waltz

5) Morocco

Thanks!

My recommendations include The First of Three Spirits, Bast, Under the Harvest Moon, and A Lady Tall and White and Mrs. Dunbar. They all have cold, crystalline vanillic and light floral elements in each- to varying degree. These might appease your love for both Pediophobia and The Girl, given the other scents you've listed also contain similar elements within ;D

The sparkly champagne note in The Waltz, coupled by the lace aspects from Pediophobia make me think that Champagne Lace and Ava would be of interest.

OLLA's Eve contains rose- and although it's not the same rose in The Waltz, you have listed Morocco- and to me, it's a pretty clear recommendation to make, haha.

Let's try this ;)

In no particular order:
Edith Cushing
Teatime in Roswell
Moment in Time
Atlas
A Thousand Thoughts, Hopes and Joys

Honorable mentions: Alice and Liz

Mrs. Dunbar is my first immediate recommendations made by the observation that both Edith Cushing and Teatime in Roswell have a somewhat foodie/bake-y quality to them- and that your last listed favourite contains vanillic freesia. If you liked the Earl Grey tea from Teatime in Roswell, you might also like A Little More Tea. I've noticed you listed two scents with carnation in them- I might suggest High-Strung Daisies and both Pink Moon 2005 and 2017 for the sugary pink elements and Hod (original and resurrected) for the spiciness. Actually, Hod is almost like a foodie-ish spicy mix between Morocco with a bigger helping of amber and carnation mixed in- and almost as though someone threw butter rum cookie into it. Given you are not adverse to cookie/bakery/cakey like scents and that the majority of notes listed in the scents you like bare some sort of similarity to each other- it's most definitely something you'd probably want to try at least once anyway. Given that you have mentioned A Moment in Time, I assume you like lighter sweet creamy and vanillic lavender so I would give The Serpentine, Under the Harvest Moon, and TKO a shot. You might like to gamble De Vos' Unicorn or Pip for its ambery floral mallow note - but the former also contains rose - a note not listed anywhere on your list.. so take with caution! If you do end up liking Pip's amber note, you might also like Haloes- it shares comparisons to Atlas in quite a number of mentions in reviews due to its oak note.

Edited by celestia

I haven't gotten to five yet but I'm having trouble finding ones I like :( The three for this list were free samples I liked much better than what I paid for lol

1. Grand Guignol

2. New Orleans

3. Whip

Hi Marianast! Welcome to the forum. :smile:

For New Orleans, try Nyx, Twilight, or Bayou. They are all lush florals with similar notes to NO. You might also try Shanghai, which has the lemon and honeysuckle combo, but is going to be a much lighter, fresher scent with the tea. Also, just fyi, lemon verbena doesn't always behave the same way as lemon, depending on your chemistry.

For Whip, ya gotta try Wanda. ;) It's a more complex Whip with less rose and a dark fruitiness from the wine. You might also try Highwayman, which is also lush florals over leather. Everything named so far is in the GC (general catalog)

If you want to get adventurous and join the Luper fun - L'Agonie has that yummy apricot like Grand Guignol mixed with blood orange. It's like a dark, evil, delicious fruit punch. Importune Me No More is a robust and elegant floral with lots of jasmine and rose bolstered by spicey/clovelike carnation. If you like leather, as I do, the Pleasures of the Imagination scents are just beautiful and the SN Riding Crop is fantastic for layering. There are still plenty of decants of Lupers floating around that people are looking to swap/sell, so you don't have to commit to the full bottle. BUT, if you DO buy a bottle, there's a good chance you can swap it with someone on the forum if it doesn't work out. Lots of information! Hope it helps. :smile:

Edited by VetchVesper

Ooo I'd appreciate some recs right now! My current top 5 in order:

Blood Countess

Lady Lucille Sharpe

Drink Me

O

Love and Sleep

I'm especially interested in recs for Blood Countess and Lucille, I need more femme-fatale type florals :vamp:

Thank you VetchVesper! I've had Obsidian Widow and Morgause on my to-try list for ages now, should definitely get round to purchasing some imps of those two. Wanda is one I have tried, unfortunately leather and I don't get along and the leather is strong in that one!

Wow, lots to research in that thread, don't know how I missed it! Thanks again!

I haven't had a chance to test TOO many, but my favorites as of this moment are-

Lampades

Laudanum

Doc Constantine's Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener

Morocco

Poisoned Apple

(Honorable Mentions of Eat Me, Mary Shelley and Seraphim XD )

Recommendations are always welcome, for I can feel my next itching at my mind already!

I haven't had a chance to test TOO many, but my favorites as of this moment are-

Lampades

Laudanum

Doc Constantine's Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener

Morocco

Poisoned Apple

(Honorable Mentions of Eat Me, Mary Shelley and Seraphim XD )

Recommendations are always welcome, for I can feel my next itching at my mind already!

It seems like you like sassafras! I'd definitely recommend trying Tombstone if you haven't already. You might also try Gnome, which is a little more of a masculine take on root beer to my nose. You might also like the recent Lilith, Outlaw of Slaugh, if you can find it.

For Morocco, you might like The Mouse's Long Sad Tale. It's another spicy, snuggly vanilla blend.

Verdandi is another nice apple scent, with some dark complexity to it.

And for Mary Shelley, you might like this years Luper, La Prostitution et la Folie Dominent le Monde. It's got the sweetest creamy thing that Sassafras Strengthener has, wth the cool anise thing from Mary Shelly, plus some jasmine.

Hope that helps!

Most of my stuff I have tried has been GC since I started with bpal over the summer

I haven't tried much but my top 5 so far are:

1. Zombi
  2. Mouse Circus
  3. Snake Oil
  4. Wanda
  5. Third Charm

Snake oil and 3rd charm belong in the same family to my nose. You might also like Vixen (GC), Mme. Moriarty, Crowley, Smut, or Womb Furie.

For Zombi, check out Penny Dreadful or Nosferatu (GC). They've both got the dirt thing going on, and since you like Wanda, you might like the wine in Nosferatu.

For Wanda, I'd check out Obsidian Widow and Whip. Also, if you want a similar feel but different notes, you might try Kali. All are GC.

Mouse Circus - gourmands aren't usually my thing, but I thought SN Popcorn Garland had a similar popcorn thing going on with sparkly pine tree, and I thought it was adorable. Also, I think some of the Midway scents have been compared to MC.

Edited by VetchVesper