Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ella LaRose

If your top 5 scents are... Then try these!

I posted here once before, but my collection has grown a lot since then and I have some new favourites :)

Sarah the Mother Bear

Paladin

Coyote

The Bear Prince

Bewitched

I seem to like skin musk, vanilla, leather and berries, but welcome any recommendations!

If you like leather + vanilla, you should try Bow and Crown of Conquest. It's a snuggly vanilla-leather with a bit of carnation/sage.

@Aviatrix: Fresh and Blooming as a Rose sounds lovely! Just looked at the notes and they sound lovely. I do really like soft rose scents, so if that turns up in this year's Yule's I'll definitely pick it up! I hadn't even considered Jareth at all, I assumed it would be too masculine for me (but I thought that about Paladin too before I fell in love with it), so I'll go check out reviews. Thanks for the recommendations!

@Elspethdixon: I'm not a massive fan of carnation but do like sage - maybe the vanilla and leather will win me over, I'll definitely pick up an imp of that, thank you :)

So my top 5 keeps getting switched around but the ones I am wearing constantly as of late are:

*These three dry down on me very similarly. Something in these seems to be drawing me in and I am wondering if it's red musk? I know its not listed in morocco or bright red dildo but Morocco has a musk note in it and several reviews for bright red dildo seem to say they smell red musk? I just cannot place why these 3 smell SO GOOD AND SO SIMILAR on me in the end!*

Bright Red Dildo

The Instructional Manual

Morocco

-- The other two I can't stop wearing:

Crowley

Mutant Hot Rodders from Hell High

Edited by PersimmonSeeds

So my top 5 keeps getting switched around but the ones I am wearing constantly as of late are:

*These three dry down on me very similarly. Something in these seems to be drawing me in and I am wondering if it's red musk? I know its not listed in morocco or bright red dildo but Morocco has a musk note in it and several reviews for bright red dildo seem to say they smell red musk? I just cannot place why these 3 smell SO GOOD AND SO SIMILAR on me in the end!*

Bright Red Dildo

The Instructional Manual

Morocco

-- The other two I can't stop wearing:

Crowley

Mutant Hot Rodders from Hell High

Whoah! That's a lot of red and heat on the list! haha

I won't be very helpful for the majority of these scents as I hate red musk and a lot of spices- but i do LOVE The Instruction Manual! If you're into red-musk and fruits, you could give The Commentary a try (also has clove and vetiver). I would also imagine that given you mention Morocco as a favourite which carries carnation, you might be interested in Hod v2 which is more creamy and musky rather than spicy. The White Witch might also be of interest if you can cope with rose- (pomegranate, honey and red musk- with rose). I don't have a lot of experience with leather as I only like the note in less than a handful of scents.. but from what I've ready- have you tried VILF ? It mentions leather, honey, sandalwood, smoky vanilla and spices though quite gingery in reviews.

Is the red musk what makes everything smell so similar for you in regards to those three scents? I actually can't stand red musk but The Instruction Manual was all Strawberry Sufganiyot and cherry blossom on me, haha! I'm sorry I wasn't of more help T_T

Persimmon - have you tried The Bow & Crown of Conquest? It reminds me of Morocco w/ leather. It might lean a little masculine for some, b/I love wearing it. I'd also recommend checking out Kabuki if you like licorice at all. It's red musk, cherry, and anise and it smells very red and sticky to me in the same way as the Instructional Manual.

Ive posted here once before, but my tastes have grown and I have tried so many new things! Hope that its okay to post here again.

Top 5 as of now:

1. Black Moths
2. Tombeur

3. The Black Rider

4. Western Diamondback

5. Wulfric/Mme Moriarty.

I couldnt decide on the last one, its a solid tie. I really like leather, patchouli, red musk, amber, and spices in my perfume. Not a fan of clean, floral scents and aquatic turns to sour milk or plastic on my skin. GC or LE, I like em all.

Those are awesome suggestions!! Thanks Celestia and vetch, I will definitely hunt down some imps and decants of those!

You suggested some awesome stuff Celestia, so don't worry! I absolutely must have VILF.

I'm not sure if it's the red musk but I have been drawn to it because I truly think that's what is smelling so good on me. It's the only thing in the perfume I can't place, so it has to be the musk!

I have yet to try The Bow & Crown of Conquest, but now I HAVE to.

JoyLeaf - Have you given Crowley a try yet? Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

The musk, leather, and patchouli really are beautiful in it!

Persimmon- I havent, but its been on my short list for a while. The lilac cologne gives me pause as does the lemon rind. Ill give it a try soon!

Joyleaf - I 'd actually recommend Bow and Crown of Conquest to you as well. I really liked my Wulric decant, but couldn't justify buying it b/c it was too similar to my beloved B&CC.

You might also try Joyful Romp - Plum blossoms and white sandalwood with indigo, tuberose, plum musk, and a drop of vetiver

Or

The White Witch - Love pain-ecstatic, cruel-sweet: gold-flecked honey amber pulsating with red musk, patchouli coeur, bourbon vanilla, inky vetiver, pomegranate rind, myrrh, blackened violet leaf, and blood red rose petals.

Also - I just got the Portrait of a Young Woman With a Unicorn hair gloss and I think it's just beautiful. Dark and rich with lots of amber, spice, and deep musk on me. Much heavier than I expected, but that's just fine. A lot of your faves are along the lines of what I like, and this one might be in your wheel house.

P.S. Satan Starting From the Touch of Ithuriel's Spear is also lovely. :-)

Edited by VetchVesper

VetchVesper- I have tried Bow and Crown and I adore it. Its on my big bottle list for certain. The White Witch sounds absolutely perfect and now I must hunt for it. Thanks for the recs! I love hearing about scents I havent come across yet.

I'm just freshly back to the BPAL fold and now actually have a decent income (money?! what's this!) and want to try some new things. Problem...my #1 is long gone and hard to find. But here are my top at the moment. At least most are GC?

1) The Girl <3

2) Morocco

3) Dorian

4) 51

5) Archangel Winter/Torture Queen toss-up

I would bathe in The Girl if possible, so some of those notes would be awesome in another oil perhaps? I've been scouring but not found much luck. I think I tend towards ozone but more in a 'crystalline' sense? I like white and green musks (usure on reds?) and white florals.

But! I want to try some new things since it's been so long and my skin chemistry and nose aren't the same as they were 5 years ago. Thanks! <3

Edited by writergal969

I'm just freshly back to the BPAL fold and now actually have a decent income (money?! what's this!) and want to try some new things. Problem...my #1 is long gone and hard to find. But here are my top at the moment. At least most are GC?

1) The Girl <3

2) Morocco

3) Dorian

4) 51

I would bathe in The Girl if possible, so some of those notes would be awesome in another oil perhaps? I've been scouring but not found much luck. I think I tend towards ozone but more in a 'crystalline' sense? I like white and green musks (usure on reds?) and white florals.

But! I want to try some new things since it's been so long and my skin chemistry and nose aren't the same as they were 5 years ago. Thanks! <3

The Girl is my favorite as well. :) The closest I've ever found is general catalog, but not impable - Lady Death: Savage.

You might also like (GC): Elf, Mage, Lyonesse, White Rabbit, the current Bestiare unicorn, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Le Serpent Qui Danse

Past LE/DC: Winter-time, Nuclear Winter, Ava, Fairy Market

I posted here once before, but my collection has grown a lot since then and I have some new favourites :)

Sarah the Mother Bear

Paladin

Coyote

The Bear Prince

Bewitched

I seem to like skin musk, vanilla, leather and berries, but welcome any recommendations!

Maybe elf for the berries and herbs. Tombstone might be great for the desert-ness.

P.S. Everyone was spot on for me, I love baobhan site and will one day get a bottle when I have the moneys as I drench in the imps.

Sarah the Mother Bear

Paladin

Coyote

The Bear Prince

Bewitched

Maybe elf for the berries and herbs. Tombstone might be great for the desert-ness.

P.S. Everyone was spot on for me, I love baobhan site and will one day get a bottle when I have the moneys as I drench in the imps.

Neutral

Good

Wanda!!!!!!!!!!

Dana O'Shee

Firebird (still available on the CBLDF website, soooo desert-like)

Kathmandu

Somacat - have you tried Druid yet? People's reviews seem to vary a lot, but on me, its all sweet berries. Baneberry is a great green/ berry scent. Also, the CP scent Firethorn Berry Tea might be worth looking into.

1) The Girl <3

2) Morocco

3) Dorian

4) 51

The Girl is my favorite as well. :) The closest I've ever found is general catalog, but not impable - Lady Death: Savage.

You might also like (GC): Elf, Mage, Lyonesse, White Rabbit, the current Bestiare unicorn, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Le Serpent Qui Danse

Past LE/DC: Winter-time, Nuclear Winter, Ava, Fairy Market

Thanks for the rec! I bought Lady Death: Savage and it just arrived and it's lovely!

ava

lucille

the girl

black lace

aradia

.... these are my current go tos, sadly they all retired. i have others i like a lot... none too similar to these. haloes i wear and it reminds of aradia... others... uh ... please suggest??

ava

lucille

the girl

black lace

aradia

.... these are my current go tos, sadly they all retired. i have others i like a lot... none too similar to these. haloes i wear and it reminds of aradia... others... uh ... please suggest??

These scents share similarities with others but also hold their own, which explains why a lot of them still come with a high price tag in the aftermarket.

You already own Feed me Fill me with Pleasure, Banshee Beat, So Below, Romanti Goth, and Butterflies Flowers and Jewels Attending which share similarities with this top 5 list- so my suggestions are are little different.

The Girl- The First of the Three Spirits (some get more vanilla so ymmv)

Black Lace- Osiris v4

Lucille Sharpe- Clytemnestra v4

Ava- Muse of Fire (It's a brighter, more explosive red/yellow/orange version of BFJA, which as you may know has drawn many similarities with Ava)

Aradia - I know you don't really favor GCs unless they're long DCed and super rare, but you might appreciate Antikythera Mechanism. Maybe layer it with Banshee Beat? haha

ava

lucille

the girl

black lace

aradia

~~~~~~~~

These scents share similarities with others but also hold their own, which explains why a lot of them still come with a high price tag in the aftermarket.

You already own Feed me Fill me with Pleasure, Banshee Beat, So Below, Romanti Goth, and Butterflies Flowers and Jewels Attending which share similarities with this top 5 list- so my suggestions are are little different.

Black Lace- Osiris v4

Ava- Muse of Fire (It's a brighter, more explosive red/yellow/orange version of BFJA, which as you may know has drawn many similarities with Ava)

Aradia - I know you don't really favor GCs unless they're long DCed and super rare, but you might appreciate Antikythera Mechanism. Maybe layer it with Banshee Beat? haha

I definitely agree on all accounts. Lol my palate is relatively narrow. Despite being different genres, these 5 overlap in one way or another... As they are the go to 5 in current rotation, it prob has to do lots w the climate and flux of life.

The selection recommended I will surely explore, though the photos might be more rare than what I currently DISO <3

On the gc..l antiKyM wears very wonky on me. I've tried both perfume and hair gloss, something about it is too warm and cloying. Muse of fire, I shall pull the imp. I must have it. As for banshee, it's really aged lovely... I just find myself not reaching for it as much as I should. Thank u Celestia xxoo

P.s. Cascading blossoms is showing very beautiful at moment. As are volcano in spring time & blossoming vulva. Great light scents from this year's Lupercalia.

joyleaf_ have you looked into lamia, death adder and perhaps shadows and reflection decants? I know in lamia the floral and in death the coconut might turn you away... Given your list, I'd say these 3 would be off the beaten path and perhaps loved.

Black Lace- Osiris v4

I definitely agree on all accounts. Lol my palate is relatively narrow. Despite being different genres, these 5 overlap in one way or another... As they are the go to 5 in current rotation, it prob has to do lots w the climate and flux of life.

The selection recommended I will surely explore, though the photos might be more rare than what I currently DISO <3

On the gc..l antiKyM wears very wonky on me. I've tried both perfume and hair gloss, something about it is too warm and cloying. Muse of fire, I shall pull the imp. I must have it. As for banshee, it's really aged lovely... I just find myself not reaching for it as much as I should. Thank u Celestia xxoo

P.s. Cascading blossoms is showing very beautiful at moment. As are volcano in spring time & blossoming vulva. Great light scents from this year's Lupercalia.

Oh! On the contrary! I think they are quite diverse for a palate ;P Blacks, blues, purples- and airy whites with vanilla that is never in the foreground- though your wishlist also contains a lot of my favourites (pinks and golds). In fact I think they're all over the place! The only thing in common is they are all quite rare- haha! . Protos can be quite rare, which is why I've suggested them to you :) What you currently DISO are also quite rare- I think they are both on par to your price range of "tastes".

I'd also suggest you give Antikythera Mechanism another shot given that other scents have gone wonky on you when fresh, but are ones you love now after even only a few months of "sleep" and aging (such as volcano in springtime and blossoming vulva which you did not like while they were in heavy sale rotation. Hopefully you didn't sell all by now!). Cascading Blossoms I remember bringing up when it wasn't so popular, I think at the time you mentioned not liking white florals so much- but it's just another example of how wonky scents are on you and to give the GCs another shot :)

Those are awesome suggestions!! Thanks Celestia and vetch, I will definitely hunt down some imps and decants of those!

You suggested some awesome stuff Celestia, so don't worry! I absolutely must have VILF.

I'm not sure if it's the red musk but I have been drawn to it because I truly think that's what is smelling so good on me. It's the only thing in the perfume I can't place, so it has to be the musk!

I have yet to try The Bow & Crown of Conquest, but now I HAVE to.

JoyLeaf - Have you given Crowley a try yet? Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

The musk, leather, and patchouli really are beautiful in it!

Eeee let me know how it goes! ;D Almost everything you mentioned in your list contains red musk, so I thought maybe that might be it haha

SmilesSunshine - have you tried Witch Rinding a Dragon? - Blackened tonka, patchouli, dragon's blood resin, and scorched oak. I have not smelled Aradia, but they have similar notes. Someone also compared Aradia to Depart Por Le Sabbat, which I love.

Antikythera didn't work on me either, though I would have thought it would be a winner. I think it was the tobacco/vanilla combo I found cloying. Prosperous Flowers of The Elegant 12 Seasons might interest you as well, though I don't know if it could replace anything.

Cascading Blossoms is beautiful.