Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Antique Lace

Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes.

I think I can detect the linen scent pretty easily, definitely "perfumey". Soft, but perfume-sharp. Continues getting softer and softer as it dries, though. Makes me think of cotton fluff. Does seem to smell.. Antique. Attractive, but sort of dated. And.. it is sort of lacey. Wouldn't really mind it as an everyday scent, but it doesnt scream to be worn on me either.

I got this as a frimp, and honestly expected to hate it. I'm not into florals much, and stale linen and old perfume didn't exactly sound appealing! I try everything once though, so I gave it a shot.

Instant love. It's soft, creamy, floral but in the best possible way. It can be comforting, sexy and everything inbetween. Throw is moderate and wear length is incredible - I've applied in the morning and woken up the next day and can still smell it faintly - which makes it perfect for everyday wear. This is a floral for people who hate florals!

I'm so glad I was frimped this; I'd never have tried it otherwise and I now have a bottle. :wub2:

Antique Lace has amazing throw - my skin amps this scent like nobody's business. I can smell the vanilla, but there's also something really sharp in there, which I suppose is the linen. I've gotten compliments before when I've worn this exercising, the trainer said I smelled like cookies. But I don't think it smells like cookies at all. Cookies aren't supposed to have linen in them. This scent just goes to show that you can love two separate notes but the combination is bleh. I love the smell of fresh linen and I love vanilla, but combined I really don't like it at all. It's a beautiful scent nevertheless, but I really can't stand it on myself.

Edited by AmandaKay

My sister-in-law used to wear a perfume that smelled exactly like this. I was young when I noticed it first, and didn't talk to her often once I got older, so I never asked what it was. For years I searched for something that smelled like it, to no avail. No vanilla perfume was what I was going for. I had given it up as a lost cause, when along came Antique Lace! I put it on today and it immediately hit me--this was it! The scent I had quested for, the scent I loved so much for so many years. Warm, sweet vanilla musk, with a very light touch of linen and flowers. :wub2: 5ml now, please.

In the vial, it was almost overpowering vanilla, though I could almost smell a linen behind it.

Wet on my skin, the vanilla scent remained very strong, overpowering anything else.

Dry on skin after a few hours, it developed a kind of powdery scent in addition to the vanilla.

Overall, I like it and will wear it frequently, but I was hoping for something just a tad more floral.

In the Imp: Florally vanilla. The lab gave this to me as a frimp; from the description I thought it would evoke mustiness rather than femininity, but it's fairly creamy in truth. Almost reminds me of white musk.

Wet: This did get sharper, but not by much. The fresh linen scent is present and sadly it reminds me a bit of detergent. It does possess something of a chemical feel, but it’s not entirely unpleasant. Just a “clean” smell. It's like someone accidentally spilled vanilla perfume on a piece of clothing and tried to wash it out, but the scent still lingers (now mixed with ozone-y washing soap).

Dry: Still reminds me of vanilla laundry cleaner. I feel bad because I’m sure there are plenty of notes in here, but for me it’s just coming across as a homey, soft sheets smell. I don’t dislike it, but it’s not something I’m going crazy about either.

Verdict: Not my thing but it’s a calming, enjoyable scent. Would be nice for people looking for a sleep scent or something relaxing.

-------

*2014 edit*

Well my friends, 5 years after first trying Antique Lace, a very kind forumite (Wren12 heeeeyo) generously frimped me this in a swap. Now, I hadn't thought about AL for nice long while because of the preconceptions I held above. But I figured what the hey, it's a much-beloved scent and it wouldn't kill me to try it again after all this time.

Bad. Choice.

My reaction can essentially be summed up as this:

Shiny-Tear-Drops-In-Anime-Reaction-Gif.gif

GOOD GOD IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

What was I thinking!? I had all the opportunities in the world and I didn't get more? WHY, NAIVE YOUNG BPAL SELF? WHY.

Seriously though, I don't know if it's just aged amazingly, if my skin chemistry has changed so it doesn't smell as strongly of chemicals/florals now, or if it's just that my tastes have matured. But uuugh, what a loss. It's the perfect, airy, "don't have a care in the world" vanilla. If I had to compare it to something now that I'm a rugged veteran of BPAL, I'd say it's in the same vein as Loosening of the Obi - another beautiful, dainty and breezy vanilla, but without the maturity of the rice wine and musk.

It's like the sweet and fluffy dreams of innocent youth. Curse you Antique Lace, curse you Wren (but not really because this was so thoughtful) and most of all, curse me for not gathering more when I had the chance... (/silent tears)

Edited by Balame

I was after a scent similar to Lush's Silky Underwear. In the bottle I can smell a slight creamy powder which I really really like. I just pray the aged florals don't turn to soap. When wet it smells gorgeous, slightly vanillary cream. Some of the 'perfumes' are coming out, I really like it so far. I've just twigged what it smells like! Febreze Mist and Refresh in Cotton Fresh - oddly enough I adore that smell. I assume the creamy vanilla is the scent of the linen. It's getting sharper as it dries down but the creaminess is still there. I'm falling more and more in love as it dries :wub: It's a bit sharper when dry but still gorgeous. I love it and want a bottle!

Verdict: soft vanilla cream with a slight sharpness to it. Beautiful. Will order a bottle.

I have been waiting to try this for ages, and just got it today. However, I don't love it as much as I wanted to. The vanilla is nice, but just nice. It's going a little plastic-y on my skin, unfortunately. Maybe a second try will improve it. Otherwise I still need to find my perfect BPAL vanilla.

ETA: On second application, this is gorgeous. Just absolutely lovely. Perfect vanilla goodness. It makes me feel sweet and girly, and a bit old-fashioned. It's got great throw and lasts a long time. I think I just needed to wear it alone instead of with 4 other tester scents on my arms! A definite winner! :wub2:

Edited by phantomphoenix3

Mmmm Antique Lace. At first, I got this weird red licorice note from it and I was concerned. Never fear, it dried into warm creamy vanilla with light floral-y bits. It is just snuggly and delightful.

I walked into an old musty house (that my family is cleaning out) after I put on Antique Lace and my aunt and uncle said "Omg what was that!? You smell good, come back here." It can cut through must, what more could you ask of it!!?

You can put it on at night or to sleep, but it won't put you to sleep if you don't want it to.

Strong and creamy vanilla with a good dose of floral added to it. Fantastic throw! This was a long shot scent for me, though I tend to really like vanilla lately, having it as the main component is a bit much on me.

Got a 5ml for my mum and she was ecstatic, and now me and my dad can't stop sniffing her arm ;)

In the the bottle, it smells like creamy vanilla but very light and clean, on her, it went on much the same, but after drydown - wow! A perfect blend of clean (not cloyingly sweet, as is often the case) vanilla, very light florals and clean but aged linen. A wonderful, feminine scent, very timeless.

I can't believe I forgot to review Antique Lace, it was my first love and I still adore it. It's a very unusual but gorgeous dusty vanilla. I feel sexy and I don't know....sophisticated when I wear it. And another good thing, this one doesn't need to be slathered, just a few drops and it will last all day :yum:

I got this as a part of a swap that happened before the announcement, and it just got here today. In the imp, I get a really light, delicate vanilla, with an undertone of musk. On my skin, this is really reminiscent of The Girl, without the crystalline florals; a light, delicate vanilla. And, on me, very, very faint.

I don't think this is anything I'm going to need a bottle of, cause I've already got a 5mL of The Girl, and there's probably someone who'd appreciate the imp more than me. For those of you who are sad about this being unavailable for now or potentially DC'd, I'd seriously suggest trying The Girl, so long as you don't mind florals.

i knew going into this that this wasn't going to be a blend that wasn't going to be very high on my list.

this one though...didn't even make it to skin testing, which is bizarre with me- there's only been three or four scents like that for me.

in the imp it's a slam of vanilla- like cheap imitation cooking vanilla. underneath that there's something that reminded me a lot of dirty laundry or the bottom of a mesh laundry cube.

honestly it just reminded me too much of dorms near the end of semester when people run out of laundry time so they just douse their laundry piles with stuff to freshen up their rooms a bit.

A_FREAKING_MAZING!!!!!!!! So soft, so vanilla, so slightly floral. When dry the vanilla comes out more for me (I amp vanilla though) with only a slight detergent clean smell. I wish this would come back......

Got a decant of this frimped to me. OMG SO BEAUTIFUL! it is a clean, soft, powdery, sweet vanilla. I want to smell like this forever. Why can't I buy a bottle right now?!? :thud:

Imp - The linen note comes through strongest, which I wasn't expecting. It's very feminine, quite sweet, but in a very soft way. There's a faint floral note, but mostly this reminds me of fresh sheets straight from the wash.

Wet - The linen note is still dominant. It smells a little but like fabric softrner, but I like the smell of fabric softener so that's okay! I don't really get any of the florals. It now smells faintly vanilla, in a slightly sugary way - vanilla ice-cream, rather than vanilla bean.

Dry - The 'clean sheets' part has faded, and been replaced by the slightly harsh floral smell of fabric softener.

I liked it at first, but not dry. It has very little throw, and I can only really smell it when I sniff my wrist. I'm a little sad, since in the imp and on wet it was so nice, but dry it really did smell like fabric softener on me. I'll try it again some time, and see if I get a better result on a different day. But I doubt this will be a bottle scent for me.

I like vanilla, I like florals, but I really, really do not like Antique Lace. This is the first scent I've tried that I really just actively hate. I'm glad that I got a frimp of this with just enough oil to test the scent; I would have been upset if I'd made a larger investment.

If Antique Lace smells on most people like it does in the bottle, then I can understand why everyone's so gaga about it. In the bottle it really is a lovely, creamy vanilla floral. On me, though, it smells like rubbing alcohol with potpourri in the background. It's just awful. Whatever that sharp note is, my skin amps it like there's no tomorrow and I smell like a combination of my grandmother's old fashioned perfume and a hospital. Yuck!

The alchohol-ish scent was so strong and overpowering that I eventually had to wash it off because it was giving me a headache. This one is definitely not a winner for me.

Imp: warm vanilla, faint musk, and...well, linen. This is amazing.

Wet: I just have a barely testable amount, but it smells exactly like it does in the imp, only much more enveloping, almost warming. These florals are definitely playing nice.

Drydown: the sweetness of the vanilla is mellowing out, leaving a slightly spicy yet clean scent. Why, oh why did I have to like this so much! ::cries::

Dry: Hey...wait...where'd it go? My skin! It ate it! :(

In the imp: You know, I hate this in the imp. It's too girly and floral for me. When I first sniffed it I didn't try it for a long time, but eventually decided to do so.

On me, wet: Vanilla! Where did this vanilla come from?! I had no idea it was there and vanilla is one of my favourite scents, so I waited on this to see what it did.

On me, dry: It dries down into a beautiful clean vanilla. I absolutely ADORE it on me, and I can't believe I almost passed it up! It's just amazing.

eh won this is an auction and can't say I'm impressed, esp given all the hype surrounding this scent. On me it smelled like dusty vanilla linens, generic vanilla linen. :(

I found an old, lab-fresh imp of this in my backpile of imps to test.

Imp: ...This smells like my best friend with her Armani perfume. I kind of don't care anymore if it sucks on my skin or not; the sheer nostalgia factor is tugging at my heart.

Wet: Sweet, gooey vanilla diffused by sophistication. I'm picturing the type of lady who has a high end outfit in white, with camera-perfect makeup in classy, almost au naturel colors.

Drydown: This is fading very, very rapidly. The cloying vanilla has been cut sharply. Sniffing close to the skin, this reminds me of Bath and Bodyworks soap. Also, it reminds me of pricey department stores.

Dry: Faint, ladylike vanilla.

My rating: 1/5 from a pure, 'for me' scent perspective; I'm just not a big vanilla person. 5/5 for scent memory.

A lovely fairy sent me a tester of this.

Antique Lace is everything I wanted Black Lace to be. Where BL was soft plastic, AL is a soft vanilla floral. Very calming, light, and sweet. However, after about 10 minutes of wear (granted, it was just a small spot) it has almost completely disappeared. Should it ever come back, I'll probably grab a bottle, but it's not something I feel the need to hunt down.

I smelled a sniffie of this and I really do like the light vanilla floral of this scent. Not much lasting power, though. Like a previous poster said, if this scent came back, I would grab a bottle..or two. It really does remind me of something from my childhood.

Sniffed: Thickly sweet and sugary.

On skin: My nose is beginning to recognize the linen note: it is clean, thick and stifling, and mostly stays in the background. Thick sugary sweetness is the prominent note complementing the linen, with a whiff of "conventional" floral perfumes peeking in. There's a touch of powdery dryness. Antique Lace is a straightforward blend: it's just thick, stifling sweetness without nuance or roundedness. Colour impression is light pink and ivory, with a heavy coating of grey dust, like the colour has been desaturated and "greyscaled".

Verdict: Mmmm, well, not my thing. I can see the appeal of Antique Lace: it is pure sugary sweetness and comforting coziness. Indeed pretty and calming, but too stifling, sugary and feminine for me.