Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
shriekingviolet

Coffee Bean

*decides to throw out her usual review format for single notes*

Yes that's definitely coffee. The rich, earthy, bitter smell of quality coffee beans.

I could seriously use this in a burner on an early morning and not be able to tell the difference between this and the smell of a real pot brewing. Excellent copy of a familiar scent. Strong and longlasting too!

Oh, my god, yes! This is coffee, all right. Bitter, with just a hint of sweetness - like really good, really expensive coffee that's just been ground on the espresso setting.

Wow! I don't actually want to go around smelling like a coffee bean, but ... well, I may need to reconsider that statement. Really, really good; I want to lick myself just being in the same room with this.

In the vial, this smells indeed just like coffee, a mild or medium blend, not a dark roast. Stunning.

On my skin, interestingly enough, it starts off smelling like... bread fresh out of the oven. A soft, buttery, totally delectable scent :P

The buttery note intensifies for the next 10 minutes. I almost smell like a croissant dipped in cafe creme! :D

However, this "breakfast" stage does not last. The buttery note disappears, leaving a straightforward coffee smell on my skin that wafts and lingers for quite a while.

A very appetizing single note that I must use in my aromatherapy diffuser in the morning when I don't feel like dragging myself out of bed! :D

I have no idea how Beth is able to perfectly capture these scents in to single notes. Every one that I have been lucky enough to try has been like sniffing the real thing. This one is no different....it's like opening up a fresh new bag of premium coffee beans on a beautiful weekend morning.

I think I will use this imp to make coffee bean candles. Yummy :P

Bottle (Imp): Smells like coffee. (Duh <g>)

Just On: This doesn't smell like brewed coffee, it smells like the actual beans. It's not ground beans either. It really smells like coffee beans.

An hour or two later: Coffee, but certainly not sweet coffee.

Around 6 hours: It smells like brewes coffee as it's just starting to get a bit stale

12 hours: Stale coffee. The kind that a spoon will stand striaght up in. Not necessarily a bad thing in my book.

Overall: It smells like coffee all the way through, and even goes through stages as coffee would. Again I am amazed at how Beth captures things so freaking amazingly.

After reading other reviews: I concur. <g>

Smells exactly like strong, black coffee - nothing more, nothing less. I was fascinated with it in terms of artistry and quality (both amazing), but really, I didn't have any desire to smell like a strong, black coffee bean. I prefer to go for Miskatonic University, which has certainly proven that coffee notes in scents can be the best things ever.

Coffee Bean doesn't smell anywhere near as sweet and delicious as Miskatonic University. MU was Starbucks (with all the extra shots of caramel and good stuff to mask the smell of straight up coffee)... Coffee Bean singlenote is my mother making a pot of coffee in the morning. Black and bitter. Very interesting with how accurate it is, but I don't see myself ever wearing this. I don't really like the smell or taste of coffee... and it makes my boy sick. I could see this more as a room scent, but I don't want my house to smell like coffee either :P.

Well, since I am about to part with all of my much sought after and hard won Single Notes from BPAL, I thought that before they go, I would do some reviews.

Imp: Decanted, won in Ebay auction.

I am an anomaly in that I have NEVER drank a cup of coffee in my 46 years on the planet! I don't even like the smell of coffee...in fact, sometimes it makes me want to gag. And don't even get me started on coffee breath! God, I have worked in offices where people have breathed down my nostrils with that acrid smell!

But this Coffee Bean SN is surprisingly quite nice! I have sniffed it more than once and while, yes, it is coffee, it is pure and earthy and quite enjoyable!

119595505.jpg

BPAL blends which include Coffee Bean single note as one of it's ingredients:

Mata Hari, Miskatonic University.

In the bottle

Just like opening a fresh container of coffee.

On

It's coffee lol. It's also got a teeny weeny bit of sweetness at the very end of the sniff.

30 minutes

It smells of coffee almost a bit woody but still nice and coffeeish. It lasts a more than average amount of time on my skin.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

foody

Summary

As it dries it smells more like an actual cup of coffee then like fresh ground coffee beans, which is what it does smell like when it's wet.

Purchase again?

No. I love coffee, just not on my skin. I'm am glad and thankful to purchase the single note though.

1-5 rating (5 being best) :P

Edited by UltraViolet

In imp: yep, coffee. But this is the smell of expensive beans, not ground Folgers.

On skin: still coffee, but there's an underlying sweetness. It's not just taking coffee grounds and rubbing on your skin, it's like the smell of a Starbucks fancy coffee drink as you're sipping it.

Coffee Bean SN is the perfect example of why these single notes are better than the real thing. It's a "normal" scent made ideal.

Single Note: Coffee Bean is a true-to-life coffee scent. It’s like sticking my nose in a pile of freshly roasted coffee beans – slightly bitter, yet invigorating. The scent is really strong on me and has throw that’s completely overwhelming. It works a lot better if I layer it with something like Bliss, Lump of Coal, or Misk U. The scent lasts about 2.5-3 hours on me, which is not too shabby for a BPAL scent on my dry skin. Coffee-scents have never been my favorite, but this one is genuine and I have to give it two thumbs up even if it’s not my particular taste in fragrance.

Can't test this on me because it's just a sniffy. What it smells like in the imp...wanna guess?....wait for it....coffee! High-end roast, too. :P I do wish I had more. Oh well.

EDIT: Now I have a testable sniffy.

Pure, dark rich coffee. Delicious! 5/5.

Edited by supremegoddessofall

A fresh pot of rich, good quality freshly ground coffee. As it should be.

In an incredibly serendipitous swap, I actually got two imps of this . . . for free. I'm still kind of boggly about it.

Anyway, nothing can be said that hasn't already been said. It's an amazingly wonderful fresh, expensive, high-end coffee smell and I am IN LOVE. Two imps will never be enough. *sigh*

I don't drink coffee. The aroma of coffee brewing in the house somewhere, makes me exceedingly hungry, instantly. This perfume oil made my stomach contract from hunger as soon as I sniffed it. When I tested it on, it was all I could do, to not go ravage the fridge. YES it's coffee. Expensive, high quality, slightly bitter, wake-me-up coffee. If I were to close my eyes and sniff this burning in an oil-burner I would be fooled probably.

I would love to test it on my guy, or layer it with something a bit sweet .

This is my first SN. If Coffee Bean SN is so gorgeous I can only imagine what the musk single notes would be.

Edited by ifinena

I think I'm not a coffee person, but then I smell this blend. It's like nothing else I've smelled (or seen...is that actual ground coffee fragments I'm seeing in the imp?). The other coffee scents (Misk U, etc.) are lovely, but they're more like sugary cappuchino. THIS is straight-up, freshly ground, black gold, essence of caffeine. Rich, with just a slightly bitter finish. Amazing! I can see why these SNs are so sought after!

in the vial: well, pep- that's coffee alright. yummy, delicious coffee. :P

wet on skin: no change (a bit of milk added, perhaps? :D )

dry down: yup. still coffee.

in all: a strong single note, i don't know if i'd use this one stright all that often, but i could certainly see layering it with other stuff, like Love's Philosophy or even Pinched With Four Aces. a nice addition.

:D

Wow.

I mean, seriously.

It's like I dumped coffee on my wrist. This bitter, black roasted expresso. And just sloshed it on. No hint of sweetness, just ground coffee beans. Just bitter, black, brewed coffee. There's almost a slight, very slight, smokyness to it.

This isn't the first SN from Beth that I've tried. But it's the first one that makes me go... WOW.

But as my husband says: "I like my sugar with coffee and cream." Not the other way around. :P

Beautiful, earthy, bitter coffee bean. Unrefined and just like sticking your nose to really good coffee beans. No cat shit required.