Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Winter_Wanderer

The Appalling Abattoir

This is such a fun concept of a scent! I thought I'd be non plussed by this one, but in fact, it smells really nice! I do get the rough hewn stone floor- it's very atmospheric- it really does feel like the scent of a stone castle, but with life in it, like things have been happening recently in this castle... I must say, apart from that, the scent itself is almost floral in a pleasant way, which is weird because I seriously have no idea what produces this stone like scent (with flecks of gore) but I would have imagined something far less pleasant! I can however recognise a bit of the blood note, along with something a little weedy, like acrid dandelion stems or something, but drying down to a wet bloodied stone smell that strangely, reminds me of one of those memory flashes were you're not sure if it was a dream or if it really happened...

Verdict: I'm not sure I'd buy a bottle, because I don't exactly want to smell like this all the time, but it certainly is evocative, and a good one to wear when you're reading any sexy highlander in his castle type of story (think, Karen Marie Moning and her Highlander series). :wub2:

In bottle: Soft and subtle, mostly dragon’s blood with some stone, musk, and spice. Look, I know the last two aren’t listed, but I could swear to musk and I’m strongly suspecting cassia or maybe cinnamon. Wet: Surprisingly juicy and sweet. Dragon blood dominate, with that touch of musk and spice fading into it though still clearly present.. It could be I was breaking down the gore accord when it was in the bottle, but it blends smoother on my skin. The gore accord works beautifully with the subtle touch of stone. As it warms the musk and probably cassia come out stronger again. The balance is different, but still interesting. I really amp musk, and this may be a touch too much with my personal chemistry. Dry: Mostly musk with a touch of dragon’s blood. It’s not bad even with my wonky skin chemistry.

Licorice and black musk, and a touch of spice. There's perhaps some dragon's blood in it.

In general it smells like armored musky man. This smells more medieval than anything else. You know, like the kind of guy that has just battled 75+ other guys in an armored suit, and then he takes off his armor and you can just SMELL him from like a mile away. And it smells like musk, blood, and scorched earth.

This didn't smell like much of anything on me. It was vaguely aquatic, sort of like a very diluted version of The Deep Ones, but it faded really quickly. I didn't get any of the other notes. Such a bummer. :/

I was excited by the mentions of black licorice and spices, but this isn't really dark or spicy on me. I get the same cologney, slightly soapy ozone scent that I get from bpal's other 'stone' notes. Smells masculine and clean with a bit of that ozone and metallic feel.

Let me start by saying, I had secretly wished this was going to be foodie and fun (like Zombie Apocalypse).

Then the reports were coming in of licorice, spices, dragon's blood, musk -- and orgy of my death notes-- my heart sank. :thud:

Then today the bottle turns up (sadly well past Halloween) and it doesn't smell like what I had been dreading, what I had come to expect. I get no licorice, spice, or musk.

This is gentleman's cologne in the bottle and wet on the skin.

As it dries, the sent becomes so familiar ....then I realize this is that rain/stone/dust atmospheric-ness that I get from Visiting the Temple of Auspicious Fortune Alone on the Winter Solstice. They could be brothers! What a nice non-licorice suprise.

As it dries down, I think I might be falling. The dust/stone gets closer and dragon blood comes slinking in like a red mist.

Actually, surprisingly pleasant and amusing to tell people you are wearing some Abbatoir perfume ;)

Sharp aggressive woods and metal, or at least that's what it smells like to me. Fitting for the description, but definitely not something I want to smell like, or smell on anyone else. It's really kind of unsettling, actually.

In the decant: Dried blood and stone, yet at the same time strangely aquatic.

Wet: The notes are melding together--interesting.

The dry-down; Water, blood, and stone, but very much evocative of the description.

gore-shock. it took me a minute to realize what this reminds me of. this is gore-shock minus the heavier 'gore' notes.

i actually really like this one, much more than i thought i would. eta: sigh. and then it morphs.

in the imp-darker than i thought it would be, and darker than i remember stone notes being.

wet-smoky, with the stone accord and a little bit of blood. something is reading as leather as well. this is masculine without being overpowering with my chem.

dry-the stone pulls forward and starts to read as florals...and then there's an aquatic note. which rarely works well on my skin and gives me headaches.

I keep sniffing at it like I'm hoping it'll pull back towards the wet stage. normally i would give a blend like this another skin test but i do so badly with the lab's water note that i don't dare.

ITI: I get spicy men's cologne from this - like heavy on the nutmeg with a pinch of smoky vetiver and perhaps a touch of verbena. I realize that none of these notes reflect the scent notes, but it's heavily men's cologne for me.

Wet: Still much the same, but I just realized this also smells a great deal like one of Aveda's fire perfume oils. I guess the blood is dragon's blood resin, but it's heavily spiced and I really done't get gore or stone from the notes.

Dry: Still exotically spicy with a heavy "fire" tone to it. I would love to smell this on my husband, but it would easily be wearable for a date-night.

In the imp: blood and honey, and a little smoke or musk. None of the aquatic that others are mentioning, oddly.

Wet: ... very warm and ambery, with a hint of musty decay.

Dry: mmm, yes, flaky metallic blood. Amber. Sunbeams on stone. Pleasantly tangy and musky, and I see what others mean about a stiff-bristled wooden brush being used for the cleaning. Keeper!

eta ... and apparently chocolate pastries, when it's dry, a friend pointed out. I don't understand, but TASTY. :D

Edited by kaberett

I have no idea what's in this, but it's incredible. I can't tell you what's in it, and a lot of the notes others are mentioning aren't showing up on me at all. So prepare yourself for the most helpful review EVER.

It is a bit spicy - it's androgynous but maybe a bit masculine leaning? There's something in here that is doing a very perfume-y thing keeping it from being all masculine though.

This is going to drive me nuts because I KNOW this smell - or part of it - from another blend and could try to work out ingredients that way. But I can't think of what that other blend is.

It's warm when I stop sniffing from right against my arm and sit back a bit. Not warm in a Sunbird way, but warm in a...darn tried to trick myself into remembering that other blend's name.

Oh. It's Luperci. Something in AA is warm and cuddly like Luperci (2007 specifically). AA, however, is softer and Luperci starts very sharp. That's what this is reminding me of! No wonder I love it so much. If it's not the same ingredient, it's a cousin.

It's different enough that I will definitely hunt more down, money and less pressing blends permitting. It's similar enough that I can grab either one and have a lovely, comforting blend to wear. Win win win.