Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

White sandalwood, white sage, East Indian patchouli, muguet, golden frankincense, and Balsam of Mecca.

Some of the notes in here can be a little iffy on me, but I'm hoping that the Mecca, Sandalwood and Patchouli can balance it out for me. Let's have a sniff! :D

In The Bottle: A bit of patchouli, but not the dirty variety we saw in Occupy Wall St.. There's a nice subtlety here. It's also got some sweet balance with the sandalwood, which is a similar type to the one found in Tombstone. Sweet and desert-y. so far so good.

Wet On Skin: Mmmm. This is warming up now, and becoming something rather personal, and sexy. Not overt sexy, like with Smut. That subtlety is continuing, holding the frankincense in check and making this rich and commanding- a scent to draw someone in- and keep them close ;)

Dry Down: This is total win. Soft enough for daytime, but personable enough for an evening affair, this is literally hitting all the right notes.

In All: Low to medium throw, Pteropus is a scent that crosses all gender boundaries. I predict this to be the sleeper hit of the bats- when the luster has faded from the others, this may very well prove to be the most sought-after of this year's Bat's Day scents.

Keeper! :heart:

This one is a very sophisticated and surprisingly sexy bat. There is a lot of white sandalwood in the wet stage, and I'm momentarily afraid that's all that will show up on me, but it becomes less prominent as the other notes emerge. Some sage makes itself known wet but quickly recedes. The balsam must be the main thing that sweetens it on the drydown, probably along with the frankincense as resins tend to sweeten on my skin, and the muguet adds a slightly sweet and almost creamy undertone. Meanwhile the underlying patchouli contributes a certain mystery and sensuality to the whole scent. It really is quite beautiful. Sometimes white sandalwood ends up overly dry on me, but here it's the furthest thing possible from that.

My fairy is the best! :D

In bottle: meh. Patchouli and incense, so I'm tempted to just pass. But no, I will give it a whirl.

Wet on skin: patchouli, balsam, sage, and frankincense. That patchouli is far too strong for my liking.

Dry: the patchuoli has eased up somewhat, letting the other notes shine once dry. I'm getting the sage, which I've recently found is one of my top notes--and the sage makes this a lot~ better on me. The frankincense comes second, and the rest bring up the rear--maybe the sandalwood a bit more ahead than the rest. Definitely not as scary dry, with the behaved patchouli and the lovely sage. Gender-neutral, subtle.

Verdict: I thought this would be an easy one to write-off, but I'm not so sure now. I'm still not holding out for it though--that patch will just develop with age!

I amp sandalwood like crazy, and if it's not a good sandalwood, that's a bad thing. This--this is some goood sandalwood. There are hints of patch and sage but mostly wood wood wood. :wub2:

I was very lucky to find a fabulous fairy and fairy broker!! :wub2:

I have given this a couple of tests so far as well as the sniff of bottle thing and unfortunately it does not work on me. Keeping in mind that I wear a lot of spicy heady floral scents, my final review:

Very woody/herbal smelling. The sage is giving it a medicinal vibe and the sandalwood is turning into wood shavings on me. Neither my husband nor I like this on me much. Too masculine. The lily of valley is not coming out at all and I guess I had hoped for a stronger floral and or softer woods.

After a decent dry down period it does seem incense-y but not a sweet or floral incense. Rather sage smudge stick clean herbal. Not my style at all

:(

Thank you so much to the angel who answered my ISO. My fairy sent a decant of this and I almost cried.

This is so heavenly, it's the same incense from The Night Raven, without the wet stone thing. So good, rich, lasting, but not overpowering. A perfect incense blend.

Thank you to my fairy :wub2:

In the decant, patch all over with a hint of what I think is the balsam. On me, it's the reverse, plus the sandalwood. A bit sharp to my nose, almost into wood shaving territory which rarely happens to me. OH UGH. It's turned into very strong industrial cleaner. Must wash off :(

I like this a lot at first, as it goes on mostly white sandalwood (creamy, lightly powdery dry wood smell) and a sweet, warm, resinous frankincense. But the drydown loses a lot of the sweet incense/resin feel and more of the dirty patchouli and herbal sage come in, turning the blend a bit sour on my skin. Sort of a desert-y dry woods and sour, dry herbs blend.

Herbal, aggressive, masculine and dark, in a sharp sort of way. Not for me, but I bet it would be great on a dangerous type of guy.

Heavy, aggressive dirty patchouli and sandalwood. It's an odd mix - the sandalwood gives it a clean edge, the patchouli smells dirty and kinda furry.

Masculine, heavy, aggressive.

Ooh, I like this. It took me a little while to warm up to it -- my test swab had a rather alarming Calamine-ish overtone to it, but that went away pretty quickly.

After drydown, the sage-sandalwood-muguet combination ends up reminding me of Virginia (in a very good way), with the addition of a quite reasonably moderate patchouli. By "moderate" I mean it isn't as dirty as Occupy Wall Street (dear Lord, that one was a dirty patchouli), but it isn't completely tame either; it's still got a little bit of a rooty bite to it. So, overall, a warm fuzzy resinous scent (I keep thinking there must be oudh here -- maybe that's the Balm of Gilead?), lifted and lightened by a gentle lily of the valley note and a clean, fresh sandalwood note. I think the trick here is whether sage plays nicely on your skin or not; if so, this is a very wearable blend.

In the decant: The sage is first off the mark, followed by the frank, and a light hint of the patch.

Wet: As I applied this to my wrist, the patch just exploded.

The dry-down: Well, if I had wanted a SN Patch, I would have looked for one. :| I'll just wear this in the scent locket.

Later: The SO detected some sandalwood, and I'm getting a hint of the balsam, but we both agreed that this is mostly patch.

Edited by thekittenkat

ooh! there is a smooth sandalwood base with a really nice patchouli and a touch of sweet frankincense. it is very well-blended and lovely- a more elegant patchouli blend than the dirtier varieties i've been wearing lately (like in occupy wall street). it's a little more "perfumey" than my typical choices but not in a bad way at all.

On me, this was all lily of the valley and sharp, herbal sage. I can pick out patch and sandalwood undertones but they ground the floral element rather than standing on their own.

Smelled stunning in the bottle, not so much on me.

Interesting! Much more herbal than I would have imagined. The sage is very prominent, with bone dry patchouli and sandalwood. Not really getting the resins. It's pleasant, but not really my type of scent.

On me, this is sandalwood dominant with a mellow herbalness to it. Nothing is overwhelmingly strong, but you can definitely pick out the sandalwood most in the first hour or so. Once it starts to fade off the frankincense really comes through and balances out the herbal tones once the sandalwood is gone.

I'm not really a fan of patchouli, but I'm pleasantly surprised by this! I'll be hunting down more in the future.

Immediate impressions are sandalwood, balsam, and earthy patchouli. There's a hint of greenery, too.

Whoa! Balsam-and-muguet explosion on my skin. I'm not really a fan of this stage. It kinda stinks, actually.

It doesn't seem to be settling on the drydown. :/ Nope, this is what Pteropus Leucopterus smells like on me. This might be more natural on a guy...

I recommend sandalwood lovers give this a shot, especially if you appreciate the masculine. With any luck your skin chemistry will be kinder than mine!