Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dianella

Hunter Moon 2004

As the winter encroaches, the time comes to embark on the last Great Hunts of the year. The deer are fattened, the fields have been reaped, and the light of the full moon illuminates the wild creatures that have come out to glean. This scent is redolent of night skies, falling leaves, and the high-pitched tension and release associated with the Hunt. A blend of traditional lunar oils touched with dry leaves, autumn bonfires, warm mulled wine, feral, animalistic notes and the chill of approaching winter.

Am I the first to review this one? Yay! I just got the scent this afternoon and put it on as soon as I got it. I have to say, I really like this scent. It truly captures the season accurately. If I had worn this scent last night it would have been too perfect!

In the bottle: Smells like grapes. Is that the wine? I'm feeling kind of hesitant about this!

Wet: Smells vaguely floral, it's so well blended I couldn't tell you what flowers. Very soft, it's not an obvious floral. I think there's musk in there, but it's hard to tell. Musk usually appears on me a little later.

Initial dry: There's a sort of freshness about this scent, the chill of appraoching autumn. It's really gorgeous. In addition, I'm getting hints of spice and woodsmoke. The smoke is there, but really close to the skin, it's just fantastic.

Dry: THe wine is coming out more, sort of displacing the initial florals, the scent is darker, if you will. Almost like the sun was setting during the initial part of the scent and now it's set. THe fires are lit and wine is being drunk around the fire. Every now and then there's a gust of cool autumn wind.

This scent is absolutely fantastic. I'm in love! It's so perfect for right now. :P

at first: wow. wine, flowers, and maybe some apple. wonderful.

on: very fruity. reminds me of samhain, but only the fruit from it. very fun.

4 hours later: still mostly fruity, but with a bit of floral thrown in. still nice.

6 hours later: lighter, but still nice. it's much spicier now, and a bit sweeter.

overall: i'm not sure about this one. it isn't my favorite fall oil or my favorite lunar blend. it's nice, though. i may end up using it in a salt scrub or in my oil burner instead of as a perfume.

Hunter Moon is by far my favorite of the lunacy blends. It's gorgeous and dark and reminds me a bit of a slightly spiced wine. It's pretty much how I had hoped Lady Macbeth would be, darker and less fruity. Love it, love it, love it!

In the Bottle: Hunter Moon smells like thick wine, eucalyptus maybe, and the background note of smoke.

On Me: The leaves, fire, and animalistic smells come out strong when I first put Hunter Moon on. I was a little worried about the animal smells, but it really smells nice all together like this. The wine pulls it all together and just makes this one delicious smell.

After a while, the wine smell dies down, and there's almost a tabacco scent to it. This is really nice. Once again the Moon scents are my favorites!

Sadly, Hunter Moon and I have had to part ways. I smelled like I had been walking through fires, literally. It was all bon fire and all smoke for about an hour! Which, wouldn't be too bad, except bon fire isn't really something I want to smell like a lot, even if I do like the smell other times (like when I'm actually at one). After an hour or so it calmed down to this nice slightly floral woodsy, slightly incensey slightly smokey smell. It was absolutely gorgeous! And an hour or two after that, POOF! it was gone! It makes me sad, because I did like it a lot more then Harvest Moon and even more than Blue Moon, but I just can't wait that hour for it to get to what I really love about it, so it had to get shipped off. :P

Wet

Lovely, wow. I get a strong but nice citrus scent that must be grapes and a spicy floral that is just pure gorgeousness. It reminded me a little of "Hamadryad" or even "The Caterpillar" because of a perceived bright greenish note but it's more fruity and more floral than those.

5 minutes

Wine and nice tobacco with a smokey note in the background

the brightness of the citrus is gone now and replaced by more muted notes.

15 minutes

Alot more of a eucalyptus scent has come out now with the tabaco and the greenish spicy floral in the background.

30 minutes

This smells similar to "Samhain" now but a touch sweeter because of the sweet tobaco smell. It's nice.

Edited to add: Well I spoke to soon, it changed once again to more of the original scent but not as "wow'. It's now brighter and more floral with wine and a little more better with a slight eucalyptus smell.

I wish I could've captured the first 2 minutes and frozen it because it would've been right up there with the great BPAL scents but alas my skin turned it into something that is good but not great.

Edited by UltraViolet

I really really wanted to like this, and it wasn't that it wasn't lovely, it's simply not me... mulled wine in the bottle a note I adore, and there's a smoky crispness to this that's lovely. The musk is indeed very faint but I'm finding it bothers me. I keep sniffing my wrist like it's pretty, but very not me. Everything blends well but there's a little too much wildness in this for it to suit me. The smokiness turns sweet after a bit, to the point that my chemistry makes it a little sickening. Off to swaps! :P

I got my bottle on Saturday, but I've been sick, and I couldn't smell anything. Yesterday I gave in and put some on, but be warned, my review could be waaaaaaaaay off since my nose still isn't working at full capacity. :P

in the bottle: Nyquil? Granted, everything smells like Nyquil to me, but I'm smelling something grape-y.

wet: yup, I smell berries, kinda like Blue Moon. But the berries calm down and I smell flowers. Flowers usually don't work well on me, but these flowers are heavy without being strong. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but these feel thick, and "dark" without being overpowering. Mmmm...

drying/dry: I smell musk or patchouli. Something earthy and grounding. Maybe a little wine too (maybe those are the grapes I smell). And pine? Something in here is kinda piney.

My oh my, I LOVE this scent. It's my favorite lunacy blend. I hope that once my cold goes away and my nose can actually smell what's around that I'll love this blend just as much!

:D

I got my Hunter Moon order today - it is really not what I expected - in fact, I like it even more than I expected. I was all sad that I had auctioned off my second Mabon but this is like a slightly winter-ier, darker version of Mabon. Sort of like when a commercial perfume does a light or spring version of something, Hunter Moon is a winter version of Mabon. they smell a lot alike, but I detect maybe some licorice and smoke notes in hunter moon, and a bit less of the apple-y sweetness of Mabon.

It is an absolutely perfect late autumn scent. Much as I love blue and red moon, I wouldn't wear them in the winter - I'd go for the dark spiciness of hunter moon. Yum. Love it!

First Impression: That juicy wine-tanginess from Red Moon at first sniff.

Second Impression: It reminds me of Red Moon in the bottle and when wet. Once it dries, Hunter Moon is dark and sinister, even. I'm getting dark wine, smoke, leaves and musk, dark musk most of all.

Final Analysis: I definitely smells like fall, much more so than Samhain did. I don't love it like I love Red and Harvest and though it is perfect for this time of year, I'm not sure if I want to keep it.

Hunter Moon

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): This smells like Triple Goddess, the Pagan Bookstore in Okemos, MI. I love the smell of that store, and the fact that anything purchased there retains that scent for a time.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): Something deep is coming to the surface. It adds a nice backdrop to this very-earthy scent.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This mellows very nicely, though the strength weakens – and I did slather it on. :P It is a very pleasant scent that brightens my mood considerably. Quite Yummy. Very earthy, woodsy, warm and grounding.

I am catching the hint of something medicinal – especially if I sniff my wrist. But, it is an herbal medicinal and it adds a very nice balance to the blend. After a while, the medicinal hint fades and I can detect berries, which is probably the wine – very nice.

Not as strong in its lasting ability as the other Limited Editions I have tried, but still present as I leave for home – very nice. Also, this has certainly had a run for its money, keeping me focused during a rather hectic day. I love autumn, so it would only make sense that autumn scents have a way of keeping me grounded – I haven’t disagreed with one yet *knocks on wood*.

Three for three when it comes to unsmelled 5ml purchases. :D

Generally anything with an alcohol note goes extreme on me. If wine is in a blend, all I can smell is wine, in the case of Mabon, I got this weird apple beer smell. Hunter Moon is the first scent with wine as a note that I've been able to wear, and I adore it. Where Samhain smells like mulled cider and crisp brown, red and orange leaves in the late afternoon, Hunter Moon smells like mulled wine and a blazing bonfire on a chill night. Crap, she did it again. Now I have to stop myself before I start waxing poetic.

Hunter Moon = yummy, sexy, dark night smell. Perfect for autumn. It's already winter here, but that's not going to keep me from enjoying it.

At first it's sharp and fairly sour, though I can't pick out what's causing it - maybe the wine or sour apples. Once it dries down, it's very earthy, capturing perfectly the scent of fallen leaves with their musty, slightly moldy smell. I get just a hint of spicy mulled wine after an hour.

This fades unusually fast fast on me, and I'm speaking as someone on whom most BPAL oils don't last long. It's nearly all gone within two hours. I kind of like it and it does smell like fall, but it doesn't really seem like it's right for wearing. I'll probably keep it around for ritual purposes.

Hunter's Moon

Initial Impression

Wow...this is a lot fruitier smelling than I expected. Instead of a mulled cabernet, this is more of a mulled pinot noir....fruity and deep. Almost purple smelling. But there's a leafy smell behind it, so...

Wearing It

I'm not sure how well this agrees with me yet. The first few times I've tried it, it goes really, really fruity on my skin. Over a couple of minutes, it tends to deepen a bit and get a lot more leafy/musky/animalistic. And I really mean that. If there's ambergris or civet or some other form of musk I'm not used to in here, it really comes out strong. Smells very feral. And while I like the leafy feral part, it may be a bit strong for my tastes and the fruitiness doesn't seem to fade very much.

On my boyfriend this started out even fruitier than on me, and dried out over the next hour to something quite a bit awful. Smelled a great deal like grape nerds, rotting maple leaves, and a wet dog. Which is unfortunate, but quite clearly his skin chemistry making the scent go awry. So obviously he won't be wearing it. It smells *so* much better in the bottle than on him...

On me, I'm still undecided. I love the notes, but they are a bit strong on me. And this, unlike a few other blends, is not instant love. I'll probably try applying this lightly the next couple of times and seeing whether that helps at all.

In bottle: There's something extremely animalistic and wild about this. It feels very unrestrained. There's grapes/wine and smoky leaves, and then the ferocious something underneath, lurking in the bushes and waiting to burst out.

On me: It seems a bit sour on me. The grape - definitely more of a wine now - is very strong on me. The animalistic note - civet? - isn't as intense as in the bottle, but it's definitely still there. The smoke's starting to come up, and with it an odd mental image is forming. I see a drunken redneck of a man skinning a rabbit by a campfire, with a rifle leaning against his leg. Eeew. I don't want to think about these sorts of things when I'm wearing perfume. Off this one goes.

What a lovely, comforting scent. My Hunter Moon arrived today and I just HAD to wear it. It goes on a bit sharp and fruity, but changes almost at the moment of hitting my skin. It evolves into a smokey, incensey floral that fills me with comforting thoughts of warm fires, soft blankets, and a good book while the wind outside is howling amongst a moody drizzle. I am SO glad that I bought Hunter Moon. It's too lovely to think of having missed it. I love the lunar oils!

Hunter Moon arrived today and I had to try it immediately like everyone else. :P

In the bottle and when I first put it on, it's a sharp, fruity scent.

After awhile the fruitiness begins to mellow out into a dark, musk & smokey wine scent. There's definitely something wild and feral to it though. Makes me think of a big cat racing through a forest in India near a shrine where people have wine offerings to a god or goddess.

I definitely liked this one more than Harvest Moon, and it actually reminds me a little of (Old) Madrid with the sharp fruit beginnings. Which is a very good thing, because Madrid I absolutely love and I really like this one as well.

Hunter's Moon is the first lunar oil that I've tried. In the bottle all I could think of is ...food. Not any specific food, either- oddly enough, it brought back memories of the venison dinners my aunt used to host after my uncle and dad had been out hunting. As I never ate the venison, this was not an auspicious beginning for Hunter's Moon- but I dabbed it on anyway.

At first: Better on than it was in the bottle- I got more of the fruity, wine scent that others had reported. A lingering animal scent stayed, though, and was really hard to place. It wasn't musky, and it wasn't bloody, although that was the word that came to mind most.

Drydown: The fruity smell began to disappear, leaving more of an herbal/animalistic scent. Food associations are coming back again, and while it's not unpleasant, I don't like smelling like food.

After several hours: The animal scent I can't place is the main scent left. As it's the part I liked the least, I'll be swapping this bottle.

wow. WOW. this was a forum imp purchase, decanted by t3h w(_)nn3rf(_)1 fairywingmaker.

i open it and sniff the wand and WOOOOOO... eyes get big, nose gets happy... smells like spiced purple, wonderfully fruity and deep. what a ROUND scent!

swiping it on and it's all purple; some kind of deeply sweet fruit, plum or grape. the description says wine - if so it's not a dry wine, little to no bite, but a rich sweet full tasting wine. the spices are wonderful, mulled and not incensy. i think "yes yes yes, mmmm," and decide to carry the imp in to work to see if it needs boosting during the day, i want this one strong and continual.

once dry the fruityness fades back a bit and the spice lingers. i sniff myself all day long, and it wafts from elbows and wrists when i have to run around a bit and i warm up. it's a purple spice, and doesn't need reapplication until the afternoon, and i do so gleefully and liberally.

i never get a smoke or musky/animal scent, i think, it remains a deeply spiced sweet scent. the mate says later on that it's almost like a holiday candle, but looks puzzled - i know what he means, it's not cinnamon and not "generic xmas spice" but there's something reminiscent. the fall season is captured wonderfully, and this will be a perfect fall/winter scent - warm and rich and comforting.

and me with the "i don't like sweet things, or fruits" preconception. doh! i think i like wine, a LOT.

i am now officially on the hunt for a full bottle of this one!

I was so eager for Hunter Moon. Most of the notes in the description LOVE my chemistry--wine, autumn leaves, ivy, all of them are consistent successes in other imps past. I was so confident I'd like it, I put off sampling it until I tried all my imps. Today was the day.

To my dismay, Hunter Moon smelled like....nothing on me. Absolutely nothing! Smelled intriguing in the bottle, but it had absolutely NO scent when on my skin, even when wet. After wearingit an hour, if I put my nose to my wrist, I could barely smell a sickly, faint sweet scent similar to how Mabon smells on me after a whole day of wear.

So Hunter Moon is a no go for me. Off to swaps. Much sadness. :P

:P to Minilux for decanting me some of this beautiful oil!

Wow Hunter moon, Slightly spicy A darker Mabon. Is there eucalyptus in this? It smells like something even minty maybe, but still with a heavy spiced fruit in the lead. I like this much better than Mabon though, as it seems to have more staying power, I'm guessing this is the added musk (I really like dark musks) Theres definatly that Luna flavor in it, I really am enjoying this. It doesnt Beat red moon but it is a keeper!

Mmmm, I love pkwench for surprising me with an imp of Hunter Moon, and now I'm kicking myself for not having ordered it.

In the vial, all I smell is the wine.

On me, it's all deep and dark wine and spice with a hint of smoke and leaves. It's similar to the dry-downs of Kali and Dia De Los Muertos on me, but with a heavier kick of wine.

I really like this, but I smell like I've been out boozing, so I can't wear it to work or out in public. :P

For me, the jury is still out on Hunter Moon. I absolutely looooove it in the bottle - so many vivid autumn scents seem to be blended in harmony, the spice, the smoke, crunchy leaves, a deep overripe fruit or wine note. But once it's on my skin, it becomes screaming black pepper with smoky undertones. I want to try it on the DH - it will be his first BPAL if he will submit - and as a home scent before I give up on it, but I don't want to hoard it too long if there are people out there pining for more. We'll see what happens.

Figured I should review this one before I forget, now that I've sold it. Going on, I got the semi-tart berry smell I also found in Tintagel. I guess that would be the wine. Unlike Tintagel, Hunter Moon's wine scent didn't fade away. It stayed on and settled itself roundly on my skin, backed my some notes that sort of made the berriness fuller but which I couldn't identify. They didn't smell much like musk or smoke to me.

Not bad over all, but it didn't do much for me.

i was super excited to try this, because wine components looooove my skin.

in the bottle, it smells like another oil i can't think of right now. sharp, pungent dead leaves. i put it on my skin and that's about all i can smell. i don't get the wine, i just get very, very, very dead leaves.

i traded samhain for queen of spades, then traded qos for this. i really should've just stuck with samhain. :P

PS. i smell like i got jumped by the holiday section at michael's craft store.

Edited by diabolique