Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Spooky

A maddeningly festive blend of warm, buttery rum, cocoa, coconut, vanilla and a jolt of peppermint. It’s a sweet, decadent, slightly silly scent, reminiscent of rum-laced holiday cookies.

I tracked down a bottle of Spooky after making macaroons - I was hoping for something creamy and coconutty. Actually, this smells like Elegba, which is a mixture of coconut and sugary rum, and tobacco, without the tobacco note. It's got the standard BPAL rum note with a swirl of coconut (although I wish there was more of it, being the coconut fan I am) and a little drizzle of peppermint. The peppermint is not strong at all, in fact I would like it to be stronger since it's so weak here. Personally, I don't think I'm such a huge fan of the rum note but I like the scent as a whole. It smells like something you'd find in a coffee shop, either on the cookie rack or near the flavored syrups. Yum.

Spooky 2005 smells a bit.. off.

I like the coconutty note to it, but the rum just makes it smell.. moldy in a way. :(

I've been going through my collection and culling those that don't pass the "love it" test. Today I tried Spooky again, and it's a love. I have the original (or possibly '05) version in a cobalt blue bottle. I get no rum or coconut, this is all chocolate mint on my skin. It's a very different mint than "lick it" (which is pure peppermint) but this is highly reminiscent of Thin Mint cookies. No plastic, but over time it does get a bit of a crumbly, soft feeling to it which I adore. Keeper! :wub2:

Ressurected, 09

Wet: Artificial mint.... The combination of mint and what I can only assume is the rum makes this smell like bad mint syrup toppings for ice cream. And now it's plastic. The rum notes tend to hate me, and alas, this is no exception.

My review of this HAD to have been eaten by forum goblins because this is absolutely one of my very favorite scents. I have two of the original cobalt bottles plus a backup from Etsy that claims it's a vintage 2005 version. I love every single note and the second I tested this from a decant, I bought bottles and backups. I almost never buy backups! That's how dang good this is. It smells rummy, buttery, and coconutty in the bottle and that's mostly what I get on my skin. A hint of cocoa perhaps, that is fleeting at best. The vanilla is a very subtle player.

Minty rum blasts start us off and slowly the coconut peeks out. Mint tends to burn off quickly on my skin and it does so here. The boozy rum also disappears, mostly, leaving me with a gorgeous coconut cloud of scent wafting around me. It's not a suntan lotion coconut, but a more meaty coconut, as if someone scooped out the flesh, sliced open a vanilla pod, crushed mint leaves over it, added a dash of rum, and put just a few cocoa beans with it. I get the sense of the other notes, but coconut is front and center. The throw is moderate. It can be smelled from a decent distance but is faint, not knock your socks off, nose-hair searing. Just a nice haze of coconut.

2009 version.

In the bottle: The peppermint, buttery rum, coconut, and cocoa stand out the most to my nose. It's like a coconut-y chocolate mint cane.

Wet: At first, it's still like a peppermint candy cane followed by the butter rum. Then the coconut and cocoa emerge and make it more into a chocolate mint scent. The cocoa note is not overpowering. It's reminiscent of an after dinner mint.

Dry: It stays like that for a long time, but after it has been dry for a while, it ends up being a predominantly coconut-y butter rum with some cocoa thrown in.

Verdict: Sometimes butter rum can stomp all over the other notes on me, but I really enjoyed the chocolate mint that I got from it during the wet phase. Thanks to my wonderful Witch for bestowing Spooky upon me! :)

Edited by dementia_divine

2009 Version! This one is such a weirdly summery scent??? It’s so SO coconutty that it weirdly reminds me of… pina coladas? I love the lab’s mint note, and I do get a lot of it thankfully. I get weirdly intermittent whiffs of cocoa and rum, then the coconut comes back and whacks me flat on my back, then the mint reappears, then the rum, then the cocoa! It really flits between scents, and it’s a very warm n snuggly scent on me. I’m super happy I snagged this!!