Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
bluelena

Days and Nights in Vaults and Charnel Houses

Darkness had no effect upon my fancy, and a churchyard was to me merely the receptacle of bodies deprived of life, which, from being the seat of beauty and strength, had become food for the worm. Now I was led to examine the cause and progress of this decay and forced to spend days and nights in vaults and charnel-houses. My attention was fixed upon every object the most insupportable to the delicacy of the human feelings.

Days and nights in vaults and charnel houses: grave soil, necrophagous insect chitins, moss, mold, dried blood, rot, dirt-smeared wool, and sweat-drenched citrus lilac aftershave.

If there was a such thing as a clean dirt scent, this is it. I get a whole lot of graveyard dirt and some of the moss that is taken down a notch maybe by the citrus lilac aftershave. However, I can't pick out "citrus" or "lilac" separately. It reminds me a lot of a softer, gentler Worm Moon.

I agree with bluelena completely.

There's a very clean, dryer sheets type of element with the dirt in this scent. Which is also how I interpreted Worm Moon.

I think the lilac is coming across as lavender to my nose, it's just a faint hint in the background.

A clean, mossy dirt with lilac and possibly some citrus brightening the lilac up. I don't get drier sheets, exactly, but the floral is not too far from that kind of scent. This would be appropriate for early spring.

I won't be needing a bottle, since I have a favorite dirt scent already.

Edited by patina

I have to say, the art on this bottle is pretty amazing :)

Out of the bottle the first note I detect is BPALs famous dirt note (which I love so so much) :)

As it dries I'm getting a sharp mossy note along with a cool, clean note I can't quite put my finger on. I don't know if it's my imagination or if there might be eucalyptus in here but I swear my skin feels chilly after putting it on. :lol: This perfectly captures the image of freshly dug graves and the chilling wind blowing through long, dark catacombs. Beautiful! :wub2:

In bottle: This is so up my alley! The soil is rich and wet and dominent. The moss, mold, wool, and chitin give rich and complex support. The blood and aftershave are just present enough to give it an edge. Wet: Much as in the bottle, only the moss is stronger in the balance and the individual elements all pop more as the skin warms them. If anything, it’s even more interesting and beautiful on the skin. Dry: Less impressive, alas. It makes me think of niter and moss covered bones. Main survivors are moss, wool, and chitin, with the other notes fading into the background

This smells like you're in a dungeon with a dank earthy smell. There's water sliding dripping off the ancient stone, along with mold and rusting metal. This starts out really awful on me, but more smells earthy and plantlike after it dries a bit. Ultimately though, not for me.

Not as bad as I had expected. In the vial, it is mostly all dirt and aftershave. On me, I can pick up more of the moss blended in with the dirt. There is also a cool air drifting through the other notes. Very earthy and realistic but not my cup of tea.

Not as bad as I had expected. In the vial, it is mostly all dirt and aftershave. On me, I can pick up more of the moss blended in with the dirt. There is also a cool air drifting through the other notes. Very earthy and realistic but not my cup of tea.

In the bottle: Dirt and lilac.

Wet: Still a lilac-scent fresh turned soil.

The dry-down: As this dries, there's faint hints of moss, blood, and something sharpish that might be the citrus. It's not bad, but not really me. But it was for the bf, anyhow. :) The dirt note is still present, but the lilac scent, I suppose one could call it aftershave, is becoming a bit more obvious. The oil, btw, is dark, like dirt.

Wet: Dirt strong wet dirt

Dry: Clean fresh dirt with hints of cologne and headache inducing lilac? :blink: This is most definitely one of the oddest scents I have ever tried. :blink:

This is like dry dirt and a sort of cool, masculine, metallic cologne smell on my skin. I'm not really getting the lilac, though it is a bit citrussy. It's a little bit soapy in the drydown. I like dirt scents, but I have a ton of dirt blends that I like more than this one. Still, I'll probably keep my decant of this one.

On the skin: This one is really different. I get hints of dirt, but for the most part it is a very clean smell. Clean and dirty at the same time? Crazy!

Interesting scent, but it isn't for me.

In the bottle: Dirt and moss, two notes that I love when I find them in BPAL oils. <3

On my skin: Dirtied moss and a sweet hint of something (the lilac note maybe?). Considering that I love deep in the Earth and Nosferatu I think I will have a similar experience with this. After a couple of minutes I think I can also smell beetroot, which is just odd. XD

Drydown: The dirt is the last to fade away so it eventually settles down as lovely sweet moss, which is lovely. <333