Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

- Robert Frost

Snowflakes and hemlock leaves with snowdrop, iris, and Peruvian lily.

This is the familiar BPAL snow note, with a smooth almost eucalyptus like, smooth green to it. The lily is not terribly strong, and there's almost a vanilla sweetness underlying the scent. Drydown turns less minty and more a close, whisper of a scent. Pleasant.

I love this so much, it is very much like Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, love this. It's so fresh and bracing. Could be for any sex, it's heady and airy at the same time.

Edit * after having a Cloister vs. Dust Smackdown, Cloister is much plainer and clearly mintier than this, I smell the flowers in here. I love this one, the snow note is just heaven for me.

Edited by stellamaris

This sure is a morpher, but a really pretty one. At first it's bracing, cold and somewhat piney from the hemlock, though I can't really tell it apart from other snowy BPALs with some sort of evergreen. However, the drydown really sets it apart. The snow and hemlock are still there and provide that element of cold, but the orris emerges and makes it unlike any other snowy blend I've tried before--a soft and "downy" snow scent very appropriate considering the theme. It's very unique even comforting in an odd way. Another one earmarked for a bottle.

In the bottle the scent has a very cool, crisp, bracing freshness to it. On the skin, it takes on a more green and soapy smell, but that mellows very quickly into a softer green floral scent.

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I tend to try any BPAL snow scent if there are no obvious death notes in the list.

In the Vial: Chilly florals - the iris and lily are front and center.

Wet: On me the hemlock seems to be acting musky, grounding the florals in the first sniffs.

Drydown: Whatever chill there was in the scent seems to be swallowed up by the florals. The hemlock continues to imitate musk, but it's keeping the flowers from going too green or soapy on me.

Verdict: A low-key floral musk. Pretty. We'll see if the decant empties fast enough to require a bottle.

This starts out with the labs snow/slush note. It's a little sweeter than other snow/slush blends, and it's gentle & pretty. As it warms up, it stays slushy but the florals come out more and it gets really sweet (as far as minty slush scents go). It doesn't last too long, but it's very pretty while it's there.

I have a decant of this that I bought here on the forums.

In the decant and for the first while on, it smells soapy to me. Nice soapy, but soap nonetheless.

After about 10 minutes on, though, the character suddenly changes and something bright and sweet and cool comes to the top. I can feel the cool in my nose, but it doesn't smell minty or eucalyptus-y. Just feels like it. Before looking at the notes, I didn't associate it with any florals. It's smooth and sweet, but not candy-sweet, more like honeysuckle. The hemlock is wonderful in this; it's not giving its own scent as much as it is rounding and lending something very fresh here... like the smell of a green twig just snapped.

This just keeps getting lovelier by the minute and I really like it. It makes me think more of snow at night than during the day. I can imagine wearing this for work (I'm a massage therapist) as it is soft and light. I can also see wearing it on a fun, light-hearted date (as opposed to a sexy, seductive date ;)). I reaaally want to slather this on and go ice skating or go to some winter markets. :D

I will probably be getting a bottle; will decide how many after I've worn it a couple more times.

Edited by Alia Kaitan

Dust of Snow is really light on me and only lasts about an hour on my skin, which surprised me with all of the strong floral notes. This mostly smells like bpal's snow note (slushy, sweet, cool, almost minty, a hint of pine) with a hint of lightly soapy lily and greenery. There's a bit of perfumey sharpness from the iris as it dries down. It's like clean floral perfume and snow note, but a little too perfumey and clean for me.

In The Bottle/Imp: Very floral, with snow. no hemlock.

Wet: one and/or all of the florals in this doesn't like me. beyond that I'm getting a touch of snow too, but that is definitely a secondary to all the stale florals.

Drydown: Mostly florals. Not really doing it for me.

Changes as Time Elapses: Ug, icky dried florals. I think it's the iris that's making this go all wonky on me; it wouldn't be the first blend that note has ruined on my skin :(

Rating: 1/5

Similar to: Snow Maiden, Cloth of Gold, Klara, Vampire Tarot: The Preistess

Almost overwhelming on the snow/slush note at first but, like others have said, this one is a morpher. Snow was soon enhanced by the hemlock and then the flowers were uncovered. The floral note is icy, as if the blossoms were rimmed in frost.

Quite lovely. I'm glad a I have a bottle.

This reminds me really strongly of the bath oil from the L'Inverno set from BPTP a few years back... In a good way.

It starts out all lilies and hemlock on me, then it turns very sweet. My nose is telling me tonka though it's not in the notes. There's a definite cold note here but I'm not recognizing it as mint thankfully... Just smells... Chilly.

Really quite pretty.

This starts out smelling like The First Soft Snow and ends up close to Ice Queen. A chilly and slightly fruity scent. Like sniffing a blossoming fruit tree laden with icicles.

Wet, the lab's snow note and a touch of pretty, light pleasant florals poking through. Wet, less floral, and a kind of green freshness along with the snow. Very pretty, and I may seek out more here depending on the rest of the wear.

The snow note dominates right out of the vial, and it is blended with a citrusy note, kind of like lemon. Wet, the fresh lilies bloom. I have never been a fan of the snow note so this is an obvious pass for me, however, I will admit that the lily gives this an interesting twist.

My imp is a decant from the lovely PhantasmMystera.

In the imp: This is pretty, and very different, hard to describe. There's a camphoraceous note - probably pine. The scent is somewhat spicy, but not a foody kind of spice, more like an incense. And something here reminds me of citrus, tangerine especially. I don't know where those scents are coming from! Maybe it's just my nose. Or maybe they are part of the snow accord.

On me, wet: The pine note is stronger, sharper, and dominates everything at first. I can easily picture a snowy forest.

After 10 minutes: Still mostly all pine when sniffed up close. But in the throw there is the spice and tangerine, along with some rather soapy florals. I can't ID any specific flower (I'm not that familiar with the ones in this blend); nor does this come across as a floral-type perfume. It's really rather unisex.

After 20 minutes: Pretty much the same. The pine seems to contiinue getting stronger (or the other notes weaker.)

After 30 minutes: Pine with a little spiciness. And now, there's a wisp of leafy green that must be the hemlock.

After 1 hour: Pine is still the main note, but it's now a gentle one, having lost the sharpness. The florals are catching up, and the hemlock remains a subtle green presence. The overall fragrance has gone a bit plastic.

After 2 hours: The pine is mostly gone now - in fact, so is the entire scent. All that remains is a faint plastic-y note that smells more soapy than flora.

Verdict: Nice, but too much pine to really be my thing.

My rating: 3 stars

On the skin: Very green with some lily and a cold feeling.

That is pretty much all I get. Nice, but not for me.

wet: Icy lily.

As it dries the snowdrop, iris, and other florals come out with just a hint of snow.

This is lovely..but not for me.

Edited by Dark Alice

In the decant: The Lab's famous icy snow note, with a hint of something green.

Wet: The green note is now sharp and bitter, and it's probably from the iris or the lily or both. :( But the hemlock could be the major culprit.

The dry-down: That green note is slowly calming down. I should really know better than to try even a tester of scents with iris and lily, but I keep hoping that they won't turn sharp on my acidic skin. :( This may have to go in a scent locket. Perhaps some aging will help.

Snowy lily and hints of iris. It reminds me to Cloister in Graveyard in the Snow actually. My skin eats this up though, sadly.

It's a very pretty, haunting, silent scent though.

The snowdrop, iris, and lily are all true to form when I sniff this in the bottle. Can't detect hemlock, not even when I put it on.

What a brilliant combination. I wouldn't ever have thought to combine these florals.

ITB: It's a little soapy, but the snow note is interesting as it is a bit sweet. There is also a lemon tinge to the green hemlock that makes me want to sniff more.

Wet: It does remind me of freshly fallen snow as the herbiness from the hemlock still speaks of life under the cold. As it begins to dry, the iris and lily emerge, adding an interesting floral, but it also takes the scent into a slightly more artificial range.

Dry: The scent is clean and fresh from the snow note with tones of hemlock and lily...and a little vanilla. The scent fades considerably after a few hours and ends up staying very close to the skin.

Edited by mymymai