Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This is lovely and simple, fern and a light minty-slush scent. The only scent with fern I've tried before is Pontarlier and this is similar, but less potent. This is a lovely scent and softer than most of the evergreen-snow Yule scents.

This definitely has a zing to it, not sharp and off-putting, just invigorating. It makes me think of the first breath of frosty air on a winter morning, like breathing in a jolt of energy. There is a slight hint of green to account for the "fern" aspect though it's not a very prominent green; I get mostly the icy notes, especially peppermint. There must also be a tiny bit of cool vanilla somewhere in the background as well to keep ti from getting too bracing. I highly recommend this one when you have problems waking up!

This one does smell like ice and ferns! It's green, zingy and with a touch of mint. On me, it goes slightly masculine.

Fresh, green, cold.

In the imp: minty and 'green', as others have said

Wet on skin: the 'green' is more of a fresh grass than, say, an evergreen. it's a nice variation on the green+mint winter theme.

Dry down: i get what zankoku was saying about it going a bit "masculine". To my nose, this is the male counterpart to B340. both contain that cool, light mint, but whereas that one had a touch of perfumed violets to back up the mint, this has a fern/moss green to hold it.

In all: one of the more "perfume-y" BPAL scents I've tried. Light throw, gender neutral, and a lovely scent to encapsulate this chilly time of year. If a full size bottle was ever released, I don't think I'd get it, but I shall love this imp for all it's worth.

;)

ETA: it's later and the scent has morphed some, become more musky and sexy on my skin. it's now somewhere between a white musk, a pale mint and a dark vanilla. If this keeps up, I may indeed beg Beth et al to make a full bottle version!

:wub:

Edited by VioletChaos

Fern Frost goes soapy on me, which makes me wonder if there's ozone in this somewhere. I get a hint of grassy greenery at first, but the drydown is just minty and sharply soapy. After fifteen minutes, I'm left with a light touch of sweet mint and a hint of that clean soapiness. I didn't have much of this to test, but this fades super-fast on me.

In the imp: Mint, ozone, snow, ice, ferns.

Wet: Very minty!

The dry-down: The mint notes fades and then blends into all the others. This is different to the other snow, ice, and ozone blends from the Lab and the Post in that it drys down into a light and gentle scent. There may be a touch of white sugar or vanilla, too, to give this a delicate sweetness, but so very light that you will hardly know that it is there. If this were to be made in 5 ml bottles, I would buy two, right away. :wub2: It's my fave of all six of these imps.

Love this. It's familiar--or, it has familiar components--but I can't quite figure it out. It's like the product of Tokyo Stomp + Nuclear Winter and maybe + Snowblind - the buttery bit of Snowblind. Oh! And + Lick It. Fern Frost and Lick It have a similar peppermint note. I guess I'd reduce my equation to Lick It + Nuclear Winter (or maybe Frost Moon). Anyway, it's minty and cold and fabulous. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bottle if it were available.

Fern Frost

In the imp: mint and eucalyptus. It reminds me a bit of Frost Moon mixed with the original Cold Moon.

Wet on skin: lots of eucalyptus here. This smells fresh and nose-clearing.

Dry on skin: this is similar to the original Cold Moon, and also Frost Moon. It has the same fern note as CM05, but instead of the slightly cucumbery ice note there’s a mix of chilly, bracing peppermint and eucalyptus. There’s an almost menthol feel, but it’s not that medicinal, it just evokes chilly air very well. It has the effect of chilling my nose but also clearing it. There’s a hint of sweetness and maybe some citrus (maybe white grapefruit?) and a tiny bit of frozen ozone/air. It’s a lot more straightforwardly cold than the usual ice/snow scent with that strong eucalyptus scent, but the fern note grounds it.

After a while: whoa, this is gorgeous. Once the eucalyptus burns off, I’m left with the most beautiful frozen vanilla cream scent. It’s almost like vanilla ice cream with a scoop of mint sorbet. There’s the gorgeous creamy scent of the vanilla with a fresh, watery mint note on top. The vanilla also has musky tones to it that make it even more alluring. And it smells very much like Anti Saloon League, except with mint instead of sarsaparilla. Something about it also reminds me of Sugar Plum Fairy-maybe the vanilla sugar?

Verdict: why oh why is this only available in imps? This is possibly the best snow/ice scent I’ve tried in a long time. At first it was all mint and eucalyptus with citrus and I was thinking it would burn off fast and maybe would be more of a Panacea type scent for cooling you down on a hot day rather than a perfume…but then the icy notes melted away to reveal the most magnificent vanilla musk underneath! Like a mix of vanilla ice cream, warm musk and a shot of crème de menthe, maybe even hints of white amber, it’s a scent that’s comforting, sophisticated and magical all at once. I can’t really smell fern here other than a hint of fuzzy greenery that seems to be part of the musk. It’s so beautiful and I really wish I could get more! This is perfect for summer too but because of its rarity I’ll need to save it for a very special occasion.

Is it a keeper? I need more! I’ll have to see if I can swap for more imps of this or hope that one day it returns in full bottles… :wub2:

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Icy, slushy, minty ferns. It has a sweetness to it, almost a vanilla sweetness like the Lick It Series. It's cooling and refreshing and will be a perfect scent for the summer. Absolute love! :wub2:

In the bottle - Ooooh minty, this smells just like toothpaste :lol:

Wet on me - Still minty, but with a slightly earthy undertone

Dry on me - A clean, green scent with touches of musk

Overall - The mint is a little alarming at first, but it settles into a nice, dry, green scent

Fresh pin and slushy/icy mint. It sweetens up a bit on drydown, but stays pretty much as it started out - icy pine.

This reminds me a lot of Skadi and other pine/ice-like blends.