Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

RIVET.GOTH
Black leather, tobacco absolute, rust, gritty musk, and machine oil.

In the imp: Leather and machine oil.
Fresh on the skin: A motorcycle repair shop. Lots of beat up black leather and mechanical parts covered in oil and rust. I am not a fan of this. I only put on a tiny dab, but it's still too strong for me. Ew. I think I need to wash this off.
5 minutes in: Tried to wash it off, no dice. Mostly bitter leather now. I seriously hate smelling like this.
15 minutes in: This has faded a lot, thank goodness. A relatively reasonable leather scent. Masculine.
1 hour in: Yup. Leather. More on the bitter side. Persistent.
2 hours in: Still leather. Fading yet more, yay. Still has quite a bit of throw, though.
3 hours in: Still leather, still fading.
4 hours in: Almost gone.
5 hours in: Gone, I believe. I have a feeling it would have stuck around much longer if I hadn't attempted to wash it off.

Verdict: Not for me. Maybe on a guy, but it would have to be the right sort of guy.

One word: Leather.

Thanks to GypsyRoseRed and her Bat's Day sniffing circle I was able to experience Rivet.Goth. Sadly, this is probably one of my least favorite BPAL oils ever. As someone else commented, it smelled like... fertilizer! Or moldy leather? I had to wash it off immediately. It does smell like the inside of a garage, but not in a good way to me. But at least I got to try it!

Wet, this is raw leather with metal and engine grease. It kind of reminds me a bit of Mutant Hot Rodders, but not as metally butch. Not very promising so far.

Dry, I get no metal anymore, just a warm, worn in comforting leather of the biker type. Not a biker with his gut hanging over his jeans and an unkempt beard, but a tanned, lean, muscular one with chaps and black boots. Perhaps there is a bit of oil on his arms, from working on his bike on a hot summer day. I'd probably molest the guy who wore this, but it really is a bit too masculine for me to wear. I love how it just seems so warm and evocative. I'll definitely keep the imp, but not for me. :twisted:

in the imp: smells like my leather jacket and pool water... that is to say, worn black leather, tobacco, and chlorine. weird.

wet on my skin: leather and tobacco immediately, which is awesome... and the oil, which isn't. it smells like pool water on me. i'm afraid this will immediately amp to either bleach or gasoline, like Robotic Scarab did.

30 minute drydown: still leather and chlorine.... and i had high hopes for this one.

2 hour drydown: no longer chlorine, but it's just your run of the mill high end men's cologne now. smells very nice, but not very distinctive.

Agreed that this is the same leather note in Dead Man's Hand. Although it actually makes me think more of Quincy Morris. In any case, I get LEATHER, and a hint of machine oil and a teensy bit of musk. Very manly.

I amp up leather to high heaven, but I find this less scary than say.. the leather in DeSade.

wow. leather! strong leather! but a good worn leather (not old nasty couch like Red Rider)

then I get machine oil and the tobacco for an almost sweet blend that is gritty, but also bright with a high/sharp scent in there. it matches the name Rivet.Goth perfectly.

I wouldn't say this is a pretty or nice scent, but there's something about it I definitely like. It seems dark and dirty and makes me want to slather it on and do dirty things :twisted:

a few hours later the leather has taken over again and is wearing more like old couch leather that's a bit oily :( That's a shame. If it stayed with the initial leather and the machine oil/tobacco absolute I would have bought a bottle, but this is just not a good morph on me

8 hours later just the leather - it's strong and has lasted all day. so strong the little dab on my wrist is all I've been able to smell all day. it's mellowed out to a nice leather, but with the rarity of this scent I will save my $ for something I like better

Edited by Roogna

This is mostly leather and metal on me. The metal hits me first, then the leather starts to assert itself, with maybe a bit of earthy tobacco. It's a soft and clean metallic scent. I'm reminded of the smell of water coming out of the hose in the summer. I'm not sure why it reminds me of that, it must be the rust.

This is a really interesting scent. And by interesting I mean it's pretty evocative and true to its description, just not for me.

This smells industrial and.....dirty on me. Bpal's leather note is pretty touch-and-go for me, and to be honest fails more often than it works. Even Quincey Morris turned on me last time I wore it, I'm sad to say.

I don't know....I just didn't like this. Kind of a grimy car mechanic smell which I like the idea of, and I like Mechanical Phoenix, so I feel like I should like this. But maybe I should be grateful since it's apparently hard to come by. Not for me!

In bottle: Strong thick black leather, modified by the machine oil, rust, and tobacco. The musk is very smooth. It fits its concept beautifully. It’s thick biker leather and hot machines. It’s a touch sweeter and less oily smelling than Mutant Hot Rodders and Mechanical Phoenix, while being an even stronger, tougher, leather scent. Wet: The leather softens on my skin, allowing all the nuances of the machine scents to come out. The rust is fascinating and a little alarming. I don’t recognize this musk. Gritty is a good description, actually, but it is not too strong for my skin, which amps most musk and it blends beautifully with the leather and tobacco particularly. I think there would be no point in wearing this if you don’t like leather, but it is an excellent addition to the leather scents in the collection. Dry: The oil really comes out and the leather goes subtly smoky. It’s attractive, comforting, and a little harsh and dirty all at once. It softens to something understated and masculine on me, but the person who swapped me had it amp like whoa, so how this will likely work on you is best judged from how your skin handles leather.

Origin:

5mL from Alicia_Stardust :heart:

Preconceived notions:

I'm completely fascinated by the idea of this one. I love masculine and gender neutral scents. And I'm very attracted to dirty, dark scents. I'm not the kind of girl who does feminine, delicate scents (or at least not 98% of the time), so something like Rivet.Goth is screaming my name. I'm especially intrigued by the idea of rust and oil in a perfume. I can't say that I've ever tried a scent with either of those notes before, but they sound potentially awesome.

But the thing is...leather is hit or miss with me. Sometimes it turns my stomach, sometimes it doesn't. It really seems to depend on the type of leather scent (worn-in, soft leather scents are generally okay, but "new" leather often makes me queasy). I have been doing well with the Lab's leather scents lately, though, so I'm hopeful that Rivet.Goth won't break the pattern.

First sniff:

Honestly, this smells exactly like you would think from the notes.

In the bottle, Rivet.Goth is leather (soft and black), a touch of tobacco and oil. This is the kind of scent that's either going to intrigue you or repulse you, without much in between, I think. I'm in the intrigued camp, personally.

Wet on skin:

If you took a hot mechanic, who's been working on cars all day long except for a couple of quick cigarettes, took away the BO, and put him in a leather jacket, you'd have Rivet.Goth.

The Lab does atmospheric scents very well, and this is no exception. If a scent can paint a picture, this one's painting it in hyperrealistic style. Even if you don't want to smell like Rivet.Goth (or even enjoy the scent in the bottle), you have to appreciate the uncanny realism of the scent.

Dry down:

Sexy. And I mean sexy in a down and dirty way. This smells like a hot, grimy, sweaty guy (minus the BO) in the best possible way.

Rivet.Goth settles down quite a bit as it dries and the end result is a fairly soft scent that sort of melds with my skin rather than wafting around me. I like it that way, though. I get soft black leather (not old and cracked, but broken in...it reminds me a bit of what I remember Dead Man's Hand smelling like, but where DMH smelled brown, Rivet.Goth smells black), musk and oil with just the tiniest touch of tobacco.

The bottom line:

I really like this. I've never come across another scent quite like it, which I'm sure is because of the oil. It adds a griminess to the scent (in a good way) and makes it more than "just another leather scent." I love atmospheric scents and this one's another winner to add to my collection, although I find it more everyday wear-appropriate than several of the others I own.

Imp: Root beer and tobacco?

Wet: Root beer, thick, dirty machine grease, and like Penance wrote, soft black leather.

Dry: The leather-dirty grease-leather thing is still going strong, and the root beer morphed into Tiger Balm then tobacco.

I can't with this little goth dude. It makes my head hurt...I don't think leather is my friend. :huh?:

This was an unexpected winner for me. I feared it would end up uber-manly De Sade or Iago style with the leather, but it's very wearable and unisex rather than masculine. I've now come to the ocnclusion that my skin must play up any sweetness in the tobacco note because under the smooth leather I get something sensually smoky, musky (that would definitely be the "gritty musk" which thankfully isn't so gritty on me) and a bit sweet. There's no rust or machine oil to speak of at least on my skin. I may be conjuring things up here but I swear there's a tinge of something cherryish, almost like wearing a black leather jacket with cherry Chapstick. Whatever it is it's undeniably sexy and definitely something to wear when you're going out and want to feel like you're on the prowl.

I’m so excited to have snagged this one! I fell in love with a tester and finally got my grubby hands on a bottle.

Sniff: Exactly as advertised! Black leather, slightly sweet and smoky tobacco, the chemical high of machine oil, a metallic tang of rust, and gritty gruff musk.

Wet: Ah, more of the same. I adore leather notes and this is my favorite so far. It’s not as raw as Rogue or DeSade, and lacks the woodsy undertones of Olisbos, Spanked, The Traveller. I find it stronger than leather blends which are cut with lighter ingredients (such as Perversion, Dee, the Riders, Whip). And while manly, this doesn’t have the sophistication of Robotic Scarab or Quincey Morris, which I consider to be “gentlemanly” leather.

So, what is this exactly? To me, it’s the leather jacket of a smoker who’s been working with cars all day. And it really turns me on.

Dry: Several hours and still going. The throw is pretty strong. The high pitched chemical and rust notes have died down and now it’s pure dark musky leather with just a hint of oil. I imagine this is what Constantine from Hellblazer smells like, after a walk through the slums of London. I love how evocative this is and will definitely be hoarding my bottle and looking for more!

In the bottle: It smells EXACTLY like the leather store in the mall. Or a brand-new leather jacket before it picks any other smells. A hint of metal and oil too.

Immediately after application: Very... SHARP. From farther away, I get the leathery whiffs but closer up it's all machine oil.

Warming up: Definitely just machine oil and rust. Where'd my leather go?

Fading: Aha, a little patience and the leather is back. Pure black leather motorcycle jacket with a hint of the tobacco and musk. So good.

Faded: Oh man, I LOVE the fade on this once the machine oil/rust have calmed down.

Overall: This is certainly one of the more interesting scents I've tested. I actually quite liked the in-bottle leather-jacket smell but on me it turned to machine oil and rust at first. Luckily the black leather jacket came roaring back and transported me to my high school days of dating my husband and stealing his motorcycle jacket, sneaking smokes in the woods, and furtive makeout sessions. I even wore that jacket over my prom dress. Yeah, I was kinda badass :3 It could be described as a masculine smell but I think KNOW I can pull it off. I'm still badass >]

In the Imp (ITI): i get a chemically smell, like machine oil, something slightly metallic and rust on top of a stiff black leather background. It’s rather masculine.

Wet: Machine oil with some sweetness from the opium tar and hints of tobacco. The leather starts to come through as it dries, and it’ s more of a well-worn and oiled leather smell.

Dry:After about 6 hours, I get machine oil, leather, and a hint of rust. It smells like my father’s vintage Mercedes.

I am obsessed

I'm going to have to search for more like this one.

In the bottle I didn't understand it and it shocked me, I thought it was horrible to be honest, but after looking it up and realizing what I was smelling, it's amazing.

It's very sharp and a bit chlorine-like before I put it on, sharp on the skin at first too, but it mellows into buttery old leather, motorcycles and sultry tobacco. The machine oil is so beautiful.

It's like walking alone at night in a rough area, it's just rained, you've got a blade in your pocket and no fear in your heart.

Tough, gives-no-fucks gritty. Masculine in the best way. I should say that I usually prefer scents geared towards men so perhaps I'm biased. But this is pretty unisex in my opinion.

The only cons that I found was that I should use it sparingly, a little goes a long way for me and it was very hard to wash off. But a true 10/10 for me, I can't wait to find more with a similar vibe.

I love tobacco and musk, but some of these other notes are pretty iffy for me. Leather can be OK. But rust could be metal, and that never works for me...

Wet: At first it's all chemically leather. Then it quickly morphs into cologne. Then the machine oils amps up and it smells like my grandpa similarly to how Streets does. It's turned into quite a pleasant smell, but SUPER masculine to me. I am liking it more and more as it dries, but having a hard time imagining wearing it.

Dry: Dries down to a very serious leather scent. Like, for serious leather lovers. Which I really am not. So while I can appreciate this, it will be rehomed to someone who will love it for the leather glory it is.

I'm actually grieving more than a bit that this didn't work. It's everything I wanted; the motor oil, rust, and musk are perfect and exactly my style, but that leather. Oof. It just punches me right in the face and stomps all over the industrial beauty of the other notes (the tobacco really had no chance). I usually have no problems carrying the lab's black leather note. All their leather notes get along with me. But this just came across as unrelenting "new car smell" (that chemical, artificial sour blast) and gave me an instant headache... and on top of that was nigh on impossible to wash off. The bottle I had was 9 years old, so maybe that leather note just doesn't age well, or maybe it's the rust that's causing it.

Time to rehome it, then cry about it.

Edited by supreme_c0rt

bought direct from the lab’s Etsy shop ^___^  (also, sorry for the size of the text 🥺 idk how to fix it) 

Wet: heavily mildewed, heavy black leather jacket.  

Drydown:  serious/scary/sexy dom dressed entirely in heavy oiled-up black leather (maybe masked as well), standing in a dark streetlight-lit warehouse club in Berlin + …..a hint of chlorine (noooo).

After a bit:  similar, but the leather starts to smell more chewy.  More like the softer nubby unfinished other side, vs the slick side.  It’s wearing more “gently”/lived in, but no less intimidating.  Not your average “black leather jacket” note, this smells very real, like someone is standing next to me.  Chlorine is still present wafting a bit in the background. 

A little bit later lol:  I think the industrial notes are starting to emerge.  Maybe hints of motor oil.  It’s doing a slight call back to the mildew phase as it transitions.  

Five mins later haha:  chlorine aspect is pretty much gone.  Motor oil subtly present and blendy with the chewy/worn but oiled heavy black leather.  I think I smell something unsettling in the background, which might be the rust.  It’s not strong and is barely noticeable in fact, but it makes my brain think “I’m crouching in a warehouse in the dark in a sisters of mercy music video surrounded by things I could unexpectedly hurt myself on, but that’s part of the fun.”  

Overall - I’m so glad I tried this.  It’s super evocative and nostalgic, and smells like post-apocalyptic romance and intrigue.  Literally the smell of lurking in the dark next to someone who is wearing lots of intimidating but sexy oiled black leather in a moody industrial atmosphere.  

Am I with a gang of post-apocalyptic rapscallions (one of whom I’m secretly desperately in love with), hiding from some evil government forces in a dilapidated city building at night? 

Am I about to get my a$$ beat by a very exclusive, very bohemian dom from a poppy z brite novel, who wears surreal imported German leather costumes and only operates out of abandoned warehouses at night?  

Am I awkwardly standing alone at a pop-up illegal industrial night party in some moldy abandoned warehouse somewhere, feeling kind of lonely, but then turn to my right and the boy who will be the future love of my life just so happens to be standing there too, and we shyly lock eyes as the moonlight gently illuminates the tips of his beautiful dark hair and black leather jacket? 

I don’t know, but I’m glad I can open this bottle any time for a little escape 😛

Edited by Viiinylflowers

This is a well-worn pair of studded leather motorcycle gloves in a bottle. The strongest note is the leather, but the metal is probably the second most prominent. I think I get a hint of machine oil, but it's really just working to support the metallic note to me. I don't really smell the tobacco, which is a bit of a shame, but the leather is good enough to make up for its absence.