Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Invidiana

Traipsing through the Crop Circles

TRAIPSING THROUGH THE CROP CIRCLES
Mystery doodle
Vast: in corn, maize, or barley
Aliens or what?

Alien navigational landmarks? Extraterrestrial communications? Plasma vortices? Manifestations of the mystic power of ley lines?

Miles and miles of flattened wheat, barley, and maize.

I was really hoping for the bready and slightly sweet type of grains that are warm and foody and comforting, but my skin had a mind of its own with these because they came out pretty grassy on me. As it dries down it does warm up and a bit of that bready quality does emerge, but not enough to overtake the dominant smell of crushed plants. I'm guessing it really isn't the grains themselves that are at play here as much as the actual plants that produce them. However, if you like the scent of open fields and plains on a warm spring day and aren't so much into the foody type of grains, give this a try, because it is a very accurate rendition of that. Edited by Shollin

I can review this one in two words: Singing Moon. Seriously, this smells identical to me. I'm gonna have to test them side-by-side just to see if I can pick out any difference at all.

This scent is incredible! In the imp it's EXACTLY like fresh shucked corn-- the corn meat it there, the green husk, it's seriously spot on.

On my bf this becomes sweet corn, almost candied, but still a hint of the husk and dirt.

On me I somehow amp this to beautiful floral, musky, corn. I dunno where the flowers and musk come from but it's warm, comfy and unique with decent throw.

This will probably become a bottle purchase :D

I was really really hoping for a warm, golden scent like my beloved Scarecrow, but less hay. This however, is very very green. It smells EXACTLY like sweet corn, freshly picked, with green husks. I'm blown away that this scent is captured in a bottle, its completely amazing. Its very fresh, and very very green, with just a bit of sweet corn in the background.

Wow, this one is dead on. It smells just like I'm standing in a cornfield in the middle of August. Amazing likeness to it's name, but not really a scent I would wear with any regularity.

I was hoping this would be just like my beloved, stupidly-sold bottle of Singing Moon - and it is! It's maybe a teensy bit darker and more woody than that gem, but it's mostly honeyed grains. The boy picks out a cinnamon-y note. It's golden and grain-y and sweet, and just perfect as a perfumed interpretation of sun-warmed crushed corn, wheat and barley. Yum. Need a bottle.

Edit: Have a bottle now, loving it even more; it's like liquid late-summer sunlight. This is my favorite so far this year from the Lab - evocative and unusual. I wish it lasted a bit longer, but hey, I have a bottle. You should too.

Edited by LadyMedb

Pretty sure this is going to be a bottle purchase. I try to limit those to keep my collection manageable, but this is one that I can't stop sniffing. It was a major suprise for me, being a foodie/fruity/sweet scent person.

There is something sweet here. Sweet and fresh but not like Febreeze or Sky City Before.. Not what I was expecting. I thought there would be more of a corn smell but i don't really get that. I was also thinking it might be like Scarecrow, which I like but wouldn't wear. It's not like that at all to me.

I wish I could offer a better review but i can't place the notes. Even reading the other reviews doesn't jog anything for me.

My general reco would be if you like sweet smelling scents, give this a try and you might be as suprised as I was.

See those dried wheat, barley, and maize fields? That's what you get. I've walked through fields like this, and the notes are spot-on. Nice, but very, very dry in feeling.

ETA: Quick re-testing. Maybe a little fresher, greener, and sweeter, now that the oil has a little time on it. I like this, but not sure when or if I would wear it.

Edited by thekittenkat

Wow this scent was so dead on... its crazy. Wet it smells like standing in the middle of a corn field in summer. After a few mins that "dirt "smell totally backs off and I am left with sweet green grass. Not foody or candy sweet, but just lush, earthy grass. Its really quite nice. After a few hours I can smell honey? maybe hay? not sure, but I love this scent. Just sniffing it out of the imp I wasn't too impressed, but I think I am going to get a bottle of this one.

OH! and I just happened to have corn on the cob for dinner tonight. As I was shucking the corn, I sniffed my wrist and the scent was uncanny how much they were alike!

In the decant: Ooh, this is promising—grains and yellowed grass in the sun.

Wet: This smells like camping (without the mud and bugspray)!

Drydown: Happy days in high summer, when it hasn’t rained for a while and the grass is brittle.

Later: This really reminds me of Girl Scout Camp and goofing off in the outfield during the baseball unit in fifth grade. It smells exactly like the description. It’s not something for everyday wear, but I can certainly see it working wonderfully during certain summer days.

In the bottle, this smells a lot like Planting Moon with less vegetables (damp potting soil and green, garden things).

On my skin, I get that lovely, realistic, comforting (for me) dirt note and something that really does smell like sweet corn, with a hint of grassy greenery. As it dries down, it's much lighter on the dirt note and mostly a mix of sweet, unique, outdoorsy goodness. It smells wonderfully summery and comforting to me.

ETA: Most of the black helicopters blends haven't aged well at all. This is super soapy on me, just like a bar of creamy white soap with a hint of dirt. I don't know why it has gone so soapy :/

Edited by Little Bird

Not very green at all on me, but more of the fields you get with Scarecrow. The dirt note is also of the dry varietyand is mercifully short-lived on me. Glad I stuck with a decant! I was hoping for something more along the lines of Gunpowder grainy.

This is the Helicopter I was most excited to try.

In the imp - I'm getting seeds and grains similar to Season of the Emergence, with a side of.. dandelion?

Wet - I amp all things lemon-esque, and I'm getting some unexpected lemon here, that phase fades quickly and I start getting sweet florals with a soil feeling in the background

Dry - this has totally turned into dirt, particularly Graveyard Dirt, for me with mild florals in the background.

Summary - I was hoping for more corn. I think I'll test again in a week or two. Maybe my nose is just off right now.

Growing up on a farm with ACRES of corn, this is exactly what it smells like. It reminded me so much of home! Not sure if I'd wear this regularly but still really nice.

On the initial application I got a lot of dirt. I was kind of afraid that would be it for this blend.

After about 10 minutes of letting it sit, I get green husk of a corn field. Nommy! Oh, there is a little white corn in there.

Now about 20 minutes later I am left with a pretty sunny cornfield and some dirt. I like this!

Pleasantly surprised!

I get fresh, young corn with the green leaves and dirt out of this, and something almst creamy... It doesn't smell very dry on me, nor too green... I don't wear grass (or green notes in general) well, and if there's any in here, it is light on my skin and doesn't stand out at all. So far I really like it.

Drying down, I get a hint of cinnamon... Hm... this smells hotter and drier now. I hope it doesn't take over completely. I liked what I got out of the wet stage...

A bit later... the fresh corn note is still there, as is the dirt, which is lovely in this combination... the hint of cinnamon is gone, or maybe I just don't register it anymore...

So far, I think this might replace Deep in Earth as my favourite green-dirt scent.

It starts out as a really nice, mild, dry corn scent. After a few minutes, and for hours after, though...I swear to heaven, I get fresh, hot cornbread with a touch of butter and honey from this.

I may need multiple bottles. It's divine.

This smells just like a wide, open field with the fresh morning dew still present ... absolutely beautiful! :wub: I think this is going to become one of my favorite BPAL blends, so I'm going to need at least one bottle for now. :)

Edited by musichappens

Totally unlike what I expected. Wet, sweet, dark soil and an aquatic note. Very outdoorsy, reminds me of the Nile-themed soil-based aquatics strongly.

On my skin, it's instantly much sweeter and rounder with some creamy, nutty grain notes emerging. Still, the dark wet soil note is strongly in command, with only a bit of the almost honeyed grain notes (reminiscent of Dana O'Shee) peaking through. The grains are almost foody, but not quite - I get a note that somewhere between vanilla and tonka but doesn't seem to be either that's giving me the sweet creaminess.

Due to spillage, I slathered quite a bit accidentally, but this still seems to be drying quite slowly. As it does, the sweetness amps, the grains amp,and the soil fades, but the inexplicable aquatic note remains. Maybe it's recently rained heavily on these crop circles? There's a definite freshwater feel that rain could explain. More and more of a honeyed aspect to the grains, so now these are not like any grain notes I've smelled before; this is a unique grain-based scent in many ways.

45 minutes later, this is finally mostly dry, but it hasn't changed much after the first 15 minutes on my skin. Despite the slathering, it's a mild scent, and it still feels very outdoorsy with the soil and rain notes, while the honeyed grains add a sort of harvest feel, almost autumnal - this could almost be a Harvest Moon scent, and I think the grain notes here are most similar to the grain notes in those lunacies. If I sniff carefully I can pick out the barley and maize (the latter reminding me a tad of Feeding the Dead), but I can't pick out the wheat.

So, in the end, it's a well-balanced blend of wet black soil and sweet, honeyed, creamy-nutty grains that verge on foody but don't quite become so. It is a subtle scent, and doesn't have a lot of throw, but it holds very well on my skin, or at least it does if you slather it as I did. Definitely worth trying if you like soil notes, clean aquatics (not a hint of soapiness), and grain notes. Very evocative. By far the most unique and interesting of the Black Helicopter line, but not something that I'd wear.

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles - When I first apply, all I smell is a sharp, strong, wet dirt note and the scent of dry hay. As it warms up on my skin, the dirt note recedes, and I can smell a lot more of the fresh green, corn-husk type notes. It's not something I'd wear for perfume, but it's spot-on and really interesting. About 45-60 minutes after I apply, it smells awesome: it smells like sweet corn and myrrh, but there's virtually no throw. Still, up close, my skin smells fabulous.

Honestly, this is what I'd hoped Envy would smell like. This is straight-up green fields. I'm not sure if I want to wear my imp or just keep it around so I can have that delightful outside smell anytime I want.

the dirt note is a little heavy for me..:(

ADDED May 15:

Holy crap! this oil is a huge morpher. after an hour or so on my skin it turned into a gorgeous delicate herbal green corn scent. I LOVE it.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this blend, but on application, it is freshly-cut grass, starting to dry under the hot sun. This is super-crushed greens, very grassy, to my nose, but it's been a while since I've been close enough to an honest-to-goodness cornfield.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/hippyjump50/crop-circles-advertising-101.jpg

Wheat, Maize, and Barley; the trifecta of a good, nutritious breakfast!

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles exhumed a memory of a group of locals who had this psychadelically inspired idea to tether up some 2X4's and set about flattening a swath of tall grasses in a vacant lot that would imply that visiting extraterrestrials had senses of humor similar to that of dirty-minded eighth-graders...Town officials responded with vigorous mowing and looks of consternation.

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles seemed delish via the Lab's description ( as did the vast majority of formulas from the Black Helicopter Series), so a 5 mL bottle was adopted at this past Bat's Day Black Market.

From the Bottle: Ooooh! What a great, prickly, bristling, brown fragrance! Corn-Silk, Toast, and Barley-Malt! This could be on the inside of a World-class microbrewery, Though twenty times as delicious!Imagine grilled corn and the best cracker you've ever tasted combined and carbonated, and you sort of get the beginnings of a synthenesia cross reference.

While this makes a briliantly perfect summation of Crop Circles, this would also exemplify the same general theme of fragrances like Hay Moon, Scarecrow, John Barleycorn, etc.

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles could easily embody the entity of Worship that reigns over the Harvest.

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles is a menacing, furious scent at this phase... But in a good way!

Imagine a newly discovered hornet that is actually... Mammalian.

There is also something almost violently, rapaciously healthy about this fragrance.This is very earthy and organic... Imagine moist earth, moss, compost, mulch, and ash.

On the Skin: Something raw and sweet joins the foray... Is this Honey? Perhaps a smidgen of carmelized Poppy? Singed Black Walnut?

The Sweetness and Earthiness combine here in this stage and create something that could easily fit in with "Deep in the Earth" and "Zombi" and their ilk.Something in this is also mildly suggestive of Molasses or, maybe Sasafrass...

The longer that Traipsing Through the Crop Circles sits on the skin, the more convincing it is of there being Poppy in here somewhere.

This is a delirious, gifted fragrance.

It evokes both wonderment and malicious mischief at every stage.

Two 10 mL bottles of this would still have fallen well short of an adequate supply...

The WIFE: (blinks in surprise) "I don't know, but, honestly? It reminds me of... Frogs."

There is an attempt to clarify;"Do you mean dank or swampy?"

Comes the reply as I am stared through, eerily, "Frogs".

Traipsing Through the Crop Circles is magnificent on all levels.

Passably unisex, but much more befitting His body chemistry.

5.5 out of 5!