Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

Bordello

In the imp: juicy sweet plums. This is Midwinter’s Eve’s sexier, darker, grown up sister-now I see the comparisons with MWE.

Wet on skin: now I get the wine! It’s like plums soaked in wine, it’s gorgeous.

Dry: ooh, I like this a lot more than I expected I would. Sweet, juicy plum with deep, rich wine. I think I get a hint of amaretto, maybe just an undertone of currant, but the dominant notes are plum and wine. This is really nice, a very authentic smelling fruit scent, sweet yet deliciously sexy. I want to drink this up!

After a while: this stays the same, not morphing too much, still retaining it’s rich plum and wine scent, I think it sweetens a bit though, and the throw is impressive-I’m getting wafts of plums in wine all around…the scent is very clear, almost fluid, it’s a clear magenta red colour. Very juicy and full bodied.

The scent stays constant for a long time-sugar plums soaked in red wine. I’m tempted to actually make that as a recipe.

Verdict: I wasn’t sure whether I would like this since the really fruity, berry and sugar plum scents are hit and miss on me. However, this took me by surprise and wowed me. Think Midwinter’s Eve’s sweet sugar plum stripped of her innocence, grown up, naughtier and sexier, dressed in a magenta corset and sipping on red wine with a mischievous grin. That’s Bordello. It’s sugared plum soaked in rich wine with hints of currant. This scent is deep, full, sweet, fruity and juicy without smelling artificial. I want to drink this stuff. I’m not sure if I need a bottle but I’m definitely keeping the imp and using it up, because I’m very fond of this scent and can see why it’s popular-and now I’ve fallen for it.

I avoided this one for a long time because of the amaretto element -- I can't stand almond/amaretto. Actual almonds to eat, no problem. Almond scent/extract/liqueur -- eeew. But I kept seeing people recommend it as a fruity scent, without ever mentioning the almond, so eventually I thought it might be worth trying.

And sure enough, very little trace of almond/amaretto. Mainly it's just really sweet and fruity, but not in a candy-sweet way -- more in a boozy, decadent way. Definitely does a good job of conjuring up its description. It's an uber-girly scent, but not in an innocent, teenager-ish sort of way. Too sweet for me to want to wear on any kind of regular basis, but I'm tempted to keep it around for occasions when I want to be all tarty and high femme.

Grade: B

In the bottle: Violently sweet plum with some boozy notes.

Wet: Plum and booze notes, with something slightly tart that must be the blackcurrant.

Drydown: Yuck, plum and amaretto - which smells more like chocolate somehow - don't get along at all, they smell acidic and fake. Besides, the plum has this "juicy" aquatic note that doesn't agree with my nose. I think that the booze has become a shrill, aggressive acidy note too.

Overall: It's hypersweet, very heavy, with a chocolatey tang and at the same time, acidic. No, I don't think it works out well on me at all, actually it's nausea inducing in large quantities because of the sweetness. Bleah.

I'm half-certain that Bordello's got some sort of a leather note in it -- couch leather, to be precise. I'd describe it as (too) sweet plum juice doing the tango with a creamy, thick, almost chocolate-y amaretto. The wine smoothes the scent out and brings it a little closer to sophisticated territory, and the whole of it is spilled over a base of leather.

To the average Joe, I imagine it smells way, way too much like a berry juice stain on a leather couch.

Bordello

3/13/06

2:20pm

Wet: Pleasantly sweet, fruity/foody. Really a lot like candy.

Drydown: A bit soapy, but not too much. Still fruity. Reminds me of something but I’m not sure what (in a good way).

Verdict? I'm not sure that I like this one, my first BPAL ever. Mostly it bothers me that I can’t smell it without sniffing my wrist up close, but I figure that has a lot to do with the fact that I came home to my BPAL package and, squeeing all the while, ran upstairs to shower off the perfume I was already wearing to try a BPAL. I don’t have any moisturizer that isn’t scented, so my skin may just have absorbed all the oil, hence the lack of throw.

GONE by 4pm

Bordello

Bordello is really the curse of the plastic berries on my skin. I liked the concept of amaretto perfume but I only get bubble gum sweetness, extremely plastic and sort of "flat", not a full bodied scent as one might expect from the boozy description. I guess it's just as well, I didn't like the name anyway...

Does anyone remember Debbie Gibson's late 80's perfume 'Electric Youth'?

On me, Bordello smells JUST LIKE IT - and I'm in love.

It's my teen years all over again! :P

~Renae

Imp: Highly sweet, almost candy-like, fruit. A hint of grapey, boozy wine.

Wet: Very sweet, fruity, a little boozy.

Dry: This, honestly, is odd. Makes me think my nose is broke. I'm finding that the staying power is quite good--I put it on at 7:30am and now, at nearly 3, it's still hanging around, though softer.

I think it smells less sweet and boozy than it did wet, but that it's still all plum and predominantly black currant. I definitely pick up fruit, and perhaps, the occasional breath of dark wine. No almond-y notes of amaretto, just a vague deepness to the scent. I'm in total love with it. :P

BUT! My coworker says I smell like the special holy-day incense they burn at her church. She loves the scent, but that's what it reminds her of. I'm wondering if there is some sort of tea or musk note buried in this? Those often turn a bit smoky on me...

Verdict? I'm keeping the imp, and I'll see how fast I go through it before I buy in mass quantity.

I expected this to be very rich but the burgundy wine gives it an elegant dry note, which combats the sweetness of the plum amaretto pefectly.

This is pretty damn amazing on my skin, to be honest. :P It's sweet, feminine, almost playful with the blend of elegant dryness and bright, girly plum.

I need a bottle of this, pronto.

Wet, it's a big purple television BERRY bursting wetly on the screen. It reminds me of these make-your-own makeup/cosmetics things they used to sell in toy stores when I was little in the late seventies or early eighties -- definitely brings back fond memories for me.

It starts out pretty heavy, but becomes a nice fizzy fruity dark purple scent . . . I love the little whiffs of amaretto that tease me after it's been on awhile. It has a deep enough pitch that it doesn't give me a headache the way some scents do. For all of its initial robustness, it gentles or absorbs fairly quickly.

I'm not sure it goes with my personality, but I do enjoy wearing it to step into a state of decadent whoriness and am considering a 5 ml.

I originally got this is as freebie imp when I bought a vial of Alice. I looked at the name and was sure that it would smell of some awful incense or some terribly heavy floral. It doesn't.

IT SMELLS LIKE CANDY

I can't emphasize its confectionary scent enough. It distracted coworkers that were wandering in and out of my personal space. I had a hard time keeping random folks from smelling me. I imagine this would be a good thing at a party or some such but totally inappropriate for the work environment.

As for its ingredients, the amaretto is what I notice the most about it. And the bizarre reactions of people who are in range.

In the vial: Wow thats some strong plum.

Wet: Yum....plum and amaretto. Reminds me of juicy, fruity candy.

Dry: If the description didnt mention that this contained wine, I would never know. This oil is all about the plum and amaretto on me.

30 mins later: Im loving this. Who knew fruity candy could be so sensual?

Hour later: Sadly, this has faded almost completely. And when I applied I had put quite a bit on. Too bad because I loved this. May have to make a perfume spray out of this, hopefully it would last longer that way.

Closing thoughts: I liked this very much, but couldnt see myself buying a 5 ML of this unless I can find a way to make this scent last longer. Although, on a whim I layered some of this with O. It turned out amazing! Together they are the height of sexual pleasure. Hmm...maybe I will buy a 5 ML after all, if not only for layering.

In the bottle: Very sweet and bubbly. The plum just jumps right out.

On: Drydown reminded me of being young (strange because of the name) -- candy and scratch & sniff stickers.

2 hours: Pure fruit with a hint of wine. It's a very close scent. It doesn't fade so much as melt into your skin. There is something very 'pink' about this scent. I can't stop imagining that color.

Verdict: I really like this one and couldn't stop smelling my wrists all day. Great for summer...def. investing in a bigger bottle.

This is, for me, nothing but complete and utter watermelon Kool Aid.

And I love that. It's not at all like I thought it would be from the description. It'll be a fun, summer scent for me. Makes me feel about 8 again. :P

Mmm. This is simply a deep, rich plum with a drop of wine. I don't smell the amaretto at all. The plum is much less sweet and more wearable for me than Midwinter's Eve, which was too Kool-Aid for my tastes.

This is a possible future bottle purchase. :P

In the bottle: Fruity! I can smell the plum. Just what I wanted today.

On: Ooh, the fruit is great, and the amaretto adds a little spiciness to it that is exactly what it needed.

Dry: Not morphing, staying pretty much the same. I really, really like this!

Throw: Medium to not much, but as I generally wear things for *me*, it doesn't matter.

Big bottle going on order.

This smells exactly like the current wine I get in Ohio. I can almost taste this scent when I sniff my wrist. Bordello is sweet and fruity but not over the top. It gets a little bite after a while and turns just a bit incensy. I haven't noticed any amaretto or plum at all.

I don't typically go for the fruity scents but I was interested in this because it seems to be a fave. Surprisingly lovely. Bordello is a very mature sweet berry scent on me. Yay!

Mmmm... this is divine!

In the bottle it is very fruity... with a nice spicy, liquor base.

It's been on me for a while now, and it's just such a smooth soft scent, like drinking sherry. I actually smell chocolate, weird since it's not in the description. I can see that it is a very 'burgandy' 'velvet' perfume, just like its name.

The fruit is kept in check with the velvety texture of the wine and amaretto.

Just... luscious.

:P

I loved the way this smelled in the imp. So fruity and sweet and flirty.

Sadly enough on me from initial application to dry down all I got was a fruity Kool-Aid like sweet tart like scent. It was very light and only lasted a few hours :P

Damn my body chemistry. I can tell by the imp on someone else it would be a great scent. I can imagine all the scents blending togther oooohhhhh.

Im keeping the imp to sniff and scent rooms. Yummy.

In the bottle:

Sickeningly sweet, like a child's berry bubblegum, with the plum strongly in the foreground and the currant only a half-step behind. The amaretto's virtually undetectable, the wine wet and sugary.

On myself:

Absolutely divine. The sickly-sweet note fades to something sweetly nutty, which I would assume is the amaretto coming into play although there's nothing I can distinguish as distinctly almond. The wine mellows and dries, lending a dark air to the playful fruitiness. This is a woman's scent, not a girl's, although there's nothing overtly sexual about it. It does indeed evoke mental images of a bordello, but to me it calls to mind the House in Brotherhood of the Wolf rather than anything from the Old West. Rich society, high class, and something vaguely French about it. The only discernable drawback is that it hangs close; there's no "throw" to it at all, which is something I prefer in a perfume. But all in all, I adore it. May need to get a second imp of this one.

I’m not sure about this at first. Sniffing the imp wand, I'm thinking "god... another bubblegum scent." Once it's on me, it's a wine and candy waft. Very sweet. Too much, I say. But it definitely has an interesting complex scent that I want to get to know better. Luckily, it gets better as it settles down. Now it smells like an amaretto and plum sake cocktail, with a side of one of those plum candies they give you at Korean restaurants. There is something about the smell of this that makes me think "sticky"--I think it's just so sweet it reminds me of some creamy melted candy. When I want to smell like an exotic sweet liquory candy (which isn't often I must admit), I"ll wear Bordello.

It may just be the perfect thing to wear when I'm going out to a swanky restaurant. It's not the kind of perfume that screws up your taste buds, like some others.

In the bottle: Fruity and bubble gummy. Not my style, but we'll see.

First on: The amaretto and the wine blend together with the current in the background. It's very subtle, and might be too sweet for me, but I like it so far. If the amaretto sweetness calms down a bit I might really like it.

Drydown: The wine and currant are definately the most prominant, but the amaretto is still very sweet. There's almost a hint of coconut to it as well.

Overall: I'll use the imp, but wouldn't get a full bottle.

Wet - gummi fruits. As it dries - helloooo booze. O that amaretto is delicious. It reminds me of this dessert, that is made with berries and is topped with sort of a crème custarard made with marsala wine. I could eat myself - no lie.

In the imp: Very fruity in an unidentifiable way. That must be the currant.

On my skin: Fruity with a funky undertone that goes away immediately. I think I'm smelling the amaretto beneath the fruitiness. It's an unusual scent.

Now I think maybe the wine is coming out. It smells 'dirty' in a way I can't really explain, and it's very, very sweet, but I like it. There's kind of a nuttiness behind it now.

This scent actually strikes me as kind of foreboding. This is more like a cathouse in a ghost town, with the velvet ripped and dusty and the snarls of pleasure ghostly echoes. I like it, but not enough to buy a big bottle. It's very interesting.

Origin: Imp pack.

In the bottle: Plum. Purple, plummy plum. Also something nutty, but it's an oddly light, bright nut.

On me: Sharp, red-purple plum. It's not particularly sexy; it's energizing. I don't get any nut.

On my good friend Abbey, who allowed me to foist it off on her: Nutty, plummy, rich, golden, warm and sexy- which suits her perfectly. I have given it to her so that she might torment people and amuse herself.