Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

A very sweet, juicy scent reminiscent of strawberry and plum on me. I can detect a little something wine-y, but nothing obvious. Very nice if you like sweet scents (like me!).

At first I get a definite overtone of plum and wine. After the initial drydown, a delicious black currant comes out mingled with the boozy cherry scent of amaretto. Sweet fruity blend without making it *obvious* that it's sweet and fruity. Insanely sensual but fun and light-hearted... a definite partier and knows how to have a good time. Putting this one up on the bottle wishlist for sure!

I loved the description, in the vial it smelled pretty nice as well. Very sweet, slightly floral.

On my skin? Awful. Simply awful. Sickenenly sweet but yet sour too, like car deoderizer. Not good with my chemistry, not good at all. I couldn't even wait until I got to the bottom notes -this one had to be washed off within an hour. Bummer.

In the bottle: Sweet, juicy ripeness! It's almost intoxicating. The plum and the amaretto are there and they're pleased to be there.

Wet on skin: I've never smelt anything half so amazing as I do when I have wet Bordello oil on my skin. It's plum, and sex, and good things.

Dry: Spicier, I can smell the wine, and the currant now, but the plum and amaretto are still holding up the sky in the background.

It's fabulous. I love it. It smells like everything I thought it would and more. I'm in love.

I'm not sure if I like this or not. Bordello is really sweet and juicy and a bit boozy as well. At the same time I like and dislike it, I'm not quite sure if this is too sweet for me. Bordello is sexy scent, but I have to try it again for few times before I know for certain if it is for me.

edit:

after a while I really disliked the scent of bordello and I washed it out, it was way too fusty and strong on my skin and gave me a headache :P

Edited by Unillusia

In the imp: ...uh... I think my nose is broken because I swear I smell chocolate. Weirdness in the extreme.

Wet: This reminds me of Montressor's younger, better behaved, sister. It's got the same fruity smell as Montressor and Urd to me, but softer and backed by something soothing.

Dry: Mmm... this gets softer and sweeter as it dries. A wonderful creaminess pops up and I'm adoring it.

I didnt' expect to like this one because I didn't like Montressor, and Urd, while pleasant wasn't my thing, so I'd sworn off berries. This, however, has restored my faith in fruit. Lovely.

I really couldnt tell what I was sniffing in the bottle. Honest...

This is only my second review so please bear with me.

In the bottle I smelled a bit of berry, but mostly floral with just the slightest touch of amoretto.

After it dried down on my skin I swear I smelled PLay-dough!! eww...I didnt like this on me. I'm really sad :P

This is my number one favorite, hands down. It just WORKS for me. This is also the first time I haven't been able to separate the notes despite infinite attemps at critical sniffing. :P

It's a deep, smooth purple-burgandy scent. Rich, fruity, sweet, decadent, luxurious. That's all I can say to describe it!

I have found that it's far to rich to wear during the day- it's a going out scent. It's for nights when I curl my hair, put on a pretty dress, lace myself into a corset, and slip on a pair of heels.

The other day I dumped half an imp in the bath, and when I got around to blowdrying my hair- woah! Amazing. I felt sultry for the rest of the night.

I think I'm doomed when it comes to berry scents. Aside from Baneberry which works, most just turn to sticky sweet jolly rancher candy on me, and this is no exception.

The bottle smelled so heady and luxurious with wine, but once on my skin the currant and plum completely took over, rendering it sticky sweet and headache-inducing. I was so disappointed!

ETA: Re-reviewed this one. It seems to work well with my chemistry today!

In vial: pure amaretto. This is very boozy.

wet: amaretto and currents. I think I like this.

Dry: I'm liking this more and more. The booze stays, with tons of amaretto and current. It's sweet, but not sickly. It's grown on me!

Edited by phedre

bordello is all berries and cherries!

scent did not change much be it in the imp or applied on me: a yummy cherry fragrance, but not being too sickeningly sweet. easily one of my favorites.

I LOVE when you randomly grab an imp laying around, put some on for the heck of it having no idea what it's going to be like, and fall head over heels.

Bordello is fabulous- bawdy is just the word. Lusty and sexy and fun all at the same time. It's the madam at the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas giving you a wink and calling you darlin' as she invites you in for a little fun.

In the vial: plummy with a hint of red wine.

Wet on skin: very sweet grapes and cherries.

Dry: Oh, dear. This blend is very sweet, yet there is something sour trying to come through, too. I wore this scent for only about twenty minutes before I had to wash it off. :P

Sweet, sweet purple candy. Like the kind of candy that isn't really assigned to a fruit, but is called something like "punch" or "tropical berry." I know I've smelled this before, but I don't know where.

I get none of the amaretto or wine out of Bordello, just candy. Sort of disappointing for me, but I'm glad we all have such different taste!

Edit: whoops, "glad" was missing.

Edited by dorothy humbird

This is a very fun scent. It's shamelessly bright purple and uncomplicated. I can detect the plum, amaretto, and wine very clearly. While it's not something I need a bottle of, I will hold into my imp. It's raucous, that's the word!

Bordello: In the imp I can smell the plum, definitely. On, it's fruity at first, then the amaretto starts to come through. I wore this one all day, and it held on for most of it – I reapplied only a tiny bit at around 4 pm after putting it on at 8:30 or so. I couldn't smell it most of the day, only whiffs, but a co-worker said she could smell it from 2 feet away at one point (after she'd sniffed my wrist) so it must have some throw (I was wearing it swiped lightly on both wrists only). It seemed to go soapy at one point on my right arm but not the left, strangely, but then came back. Everyone I had smell it liked it. I think I like it a bit better in the imp than on my skin, though. Maybe I'll try it in a locket? It definitely has a fruity, wine, “old fashioned” sort of scent to it. I like this one quite a bit. I'll probably use up the imp then consider a bottle.

Edit 2-21-07 - I ended up wearing Bordello so often that I bought a bottle here in the swap forum. I love it more every time I wear it. Today, I don't know what I did differently (slathered a bit, maybe time of month differences, who knows), but it smelled the best ever! I kept getting wafts of it all day and thinking "DAMN I smell so GOOD!" It went a little incensey, and was nice and deep and decadently plum without being a foody sort of fruit at all. Absolutely intoxicating. It's definitely an old-fashioned dark-red-velvet scent to me, and I love it! My co-worker is totally in love with it too, and I'm getting her a bottle in my next order. It's currently my favorite BPAL of the 55 or so I've tried so far.

Edited by AmyAngel

Fruity scents are generally pretty bad on me, sharp and migraine-inducingly bad. I tried Bordello simply because the name is so fantastic. "Why yes, I do smell like a Bordello!" On, it is sweet but not cloying, tart but not acidic. It's not boozy but candy sweet on me. It reminds me of a perfume I wore when I was a kid (Electric Youth embarrassingly enough :P ) but it has grown up and acquired an adult sensuality that is really very lovely. I think I love this enough to get a bottle!

Bottle: plummy plum plum plumminess

Skin: plum. a pretty, fruity happy plum, not prunelike like I feared.

Drying: :P plum. still plum. where's the good stuff? i can sense it just under the surface.......

Dry: dang! dry plum! it's so pretty, but I can't wear this.

edited to add: I kept my imp because it was a nice scent.

I tried it today as a room scent. It's gorgeous and comforting and fruity without being cloying. If this doens't work on your skin either, try it as a room scent!

Edited by nikkoblue

This was frimped to me a couple of orders ago by the lab, much to my great delight since I'd been interested in it. The very first time I wore it, I knew it was going immediately to the bottle list, and so it has since. A bottle is expected in my next order. This blend is everything I'm currently digging in a scent right now. It's fruity and sweet with that fabulous juicy plum, a little bit foody and buttery due to the amaretto, and very sexy and opulent in general. It certainly lives up to it's name, but in a good way.

Blends like this are my pick for nights out, special evenings at home with my fiance, or perhaps those days when I just want to glam it up, because sometimes I do... red lips, curled hair, heels and all. Bordello is great for that, especially if you are like me and find that many of the spicier blends that are typically thought of as "sexy" aren't really you. It also makes a rather nice holiday or cold weather scent, due to the warmth of it overall. Very nice.... very glamourous... very festive. Easily one of my new favorites.

In the bottle: Ripe syrupy fruit with a touch of booze. Complex, with different types of fruit notes stepping forward and then retreating.

On my skin: This makes me feel sick, but (oddly) in a good way. Like the essence of debauchery. Fully realized and syruped (but not fake) fruits, and then alcohol and ... sleaze. I feel woozy smelling this. Like I'm at some crazy party and the music is pounding and I'm having a good time but I have a slight headache.

I don't think I'll be getting a bottle of this, but I think I'll be ordering imps semi-regularly. It's a confusing scent. Certainly fruity and a little sour as others describe it.

I've tried this a zillion times over the years and never quite clicked with it. It has things I should love: plum, wine and black currant; and one that I should hate: amaretto.

But it's really just a light, fizzy berry scent to me. A little like Jester. While I love purply fruits, they seem to need a little something extra to anchor them, or they just float away after a few minutes.

Bordello is one of those floaty scents on me -- a little too light and insubstantial. It needs something like a musk or other amplifying agent to make it do anything, and it's not the kind of thing I'd wear in a locket either. If it was a hand lotion or shampoo we'd be in business but it's just not bawdy enough for me! :P

I loved this in the bottle. Sweet, juicy, yummy cherries and berries with just a hint of strong red wine. Wonderful scent.

On, well... no, waaaaaay too strong. Overpoweringly sweet. My skin just amps anything 'sweet', and this became in-your-face. Almost candied fruit sweet.

I love it, I just can't wear it. :P

Bordello, Bordello, how I love thee -- so far! The true test of a sweet fragrance for me is, of course, seeing how it stacks up after a full day's wear. I loved Shub right away, for example, but after about 6 hours, it made me feel ill, it was too sweet! I've had Bordello on for several hours now, and when it first went on, it was in-your-face sweet. Yummy plum and cherry -- which I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle, but I love it! It's faded, after a bit of time, to something sultry and warm and close to the skin. I love fruit smells for spring and summer, so I'll be using up my imp, and considering a bottle!

This scent was very overpowering on me. It ended up being sugary and sweet and syrupy. After an hour, I had to wash it off. I liked the way it smelled in the imp, just not on. One thing I can say for it is that it sticks around and casts a large aura. even though I've washed it off, I can still smell it faintly on me. This will go to the swap pile.