Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
othelloperrello

The Witch's Repast

Kvass, honey-drizzled bread, roasted meat, and wine.

In the imp, I'm getting the honey-drizzled bread and wine, and a bit of smoke. On my skin, honey bread and wine. Hmmm.

This smells like bread with honey, and a little bit of fruity wine. It reminds me of Thanksgiving stuffing. Can't say I smell anything that smells like meat, though.

Normally I would say something like, "Oh, this is a nice scent but more of a room scent than a perfume." However... I've worn this three times since I got the imp, and I've enjoyed it every time. It's very comforting and lovely.

Imp: Butter. Which is a bad sign for me -- almost everything I get that butter-blast from turns quickly to plastic. Damn it, I had high hopes for this one...

Wet: It goes on with a butter-cake blast, then it morphs into the sweet, tangy scent of sparkling honey mead. That alternates with the cake smell for a bit, with a hint of oatiness, or maybe rye bread, underneath.

Dry: Nope, the butter wins. Plastic, plastic, plastic. The honey mead was nice while it lasted.

In the bottle I get honeyed bread. When wet I get a definite yeasty bread note and a "greenness". As it warms, the green feel fades and I get some grape-y sweetness that I associate with 90% of the lab's wine notes adding to the mix. Possibly a bit of smoky meat? It's certainly an interesting scent and it smells pretty good warmed! I doubt I'd wear it often, or possibly at all, but it's definitely a very cool blend.

On the skin: honey, sweet bread, and .... wine I think? I can mostly smell honey sweet bread though. After a bit the wine note starts to bloom. It is kinda sour though and doesn't smell good on me.

OK so Kvass? Sounds strange making a mixed drink using rye bread, but hey. This smells great. I guess I need to keep in mind that some form of coarse grain or gruel was traditionally used in lots of alcoholic drinks...

Wet: the honey drizzled bread and berries pop out with a dark syrupy wine hanging around the background. The roasted meats note freaked me out when I 1st read about this one..and made me curious. Now that I have this on, I notice it shows up as a golden roasted smoky smell, not like Drink Me, where you can smell beef right off.

Drydown: smells like a mulled wine, as the honey burns off. The roasted meats note is fortunately still not freaking me out...really interesting scent. Golden, brown, dark red, glistening, and sweet. But, this will have to be a special occasion scent, instead of an everyday.

Edited by SophieCedar

In the imp: Vomit. I think it's the kvass that does it - the fermented scent makes the food notes smell partly digested.

Dry: Much more pleasant. The honey, bread and meat notes now smell delicious. However, the kvass is still in the foreground, giving everything a boozey funk. I didn't notice any wine, but wine is never very prominent on me.

I probably won't use this again, but this would be great for someone who likes boozey blends.

:::The Witch’s Repast:::

All things experimented with that owe their origins to the Lab’s Märchen category will prove to yield uncannily delirious mood. The formulas from Vasilissa The Beautiful are especially, wonderfully weird. There was some trepidation upon reading the notes for The Witch’s Repast; Kvass, Wine, and Roast Meat? BPAL has been known to seduce an unsuspecting nose more times than not. Now is not the time for timidity.

From the Imp: Um, Buttered Toast and Cherry Robitussin? Seriously? Yes, seriously.

BPAL is never to be taken lightly, even when arriving at the conclusion that a particular scent is disagreeable to one’s personal preferences or sensibilities. This is a very distinctive and unmistakable impression at this phase.

This summons childhood memories of being sick... The Buttered Toast was a comfort food while the Cherry Robitussin was a clear indicator of being in deep shit, health-wise.

This is not a hint that The Witch’s Repast is at all unpleasant. On the contrary, there remains many a deep-rooted fondness for those quiet days hidden away from the torments of public school, being doted upon, and curled up with a good book. The Witch’s Repast has turned out to be unpredictably nostalgic right from the uncapping.

The title might have great powers of suggestion. Aside from a good book, there are also memories of shivering beneath blankets, being the sole possessor of a roll of toilet paper, and peeking out as one of those 80’s goodies (Never Ending Story, The Princess Bride, Legend) flickered on the screen.

On the Skin: This COMPLETELY morphs almost instantaneously. Honey is, by far, the most dominant note that jets from the inner wrists... Irrefutable, light, golden Honey! There is a strong, almost instinctive impulse to give it a taste (not recommended)…

There is also a pale, almost translucent floral that compliments the honey wonderfully. The effect is silkient and powdery. There is the faintest trace of the Butter, but no more significant than the 17th day of being a 3rd grader.

Most strange is the Roast Meat. Inhaling deeply from the wrists reveals nothing of the characteristics one might expect. It’s the exhale that gets you. It is very subtle, but effectively startling; the olfactory equivalent of a double-take.

This has certainly proved to be an occasion where it really paid off to move beyond the initial uncertainties and experiment with one of the formulas that seemed as if it might not have worked at first. The morph made this completely worthwhile and it added new levels of respect and reverence for the multifaceted ingenuity that goes into formulating these experiences.

The Witch’s Repast fills the mind with golds and pinks. A man could wear this, but it might not be recommended outside of a Holiday setting.

The Witch’s Repast is quirky, quixotic, and great, great fun!

A 4 out of 5 and a Bravo to boot!

Delicious! Bread and wine. Warm and comforting :) Not something I'd reach for on a regular basis but really, really evocative and nice.

In the imp: Boozy. Bready too, but not so much honey-drizzled as toasted.

On skin, wet: Same as in the imp, more or less.

On skin, dry: Wine and sweetness--not distinctly honey, but that's probably what it is. No more bread or toastiness.

After an hour: It stays pretty much sweet wine. The toasted bread note never came back, which is actually disappointing, it was very interesting!

Another great frimp that I would not have picked out myself!

In the imp it was sweet and meaty... like the crusty bit on the outside of a slow roasted ham. Yum.

On my skin it was sweet, meaty, bready with some berries thrown in, so either it's berry kvass or berry wine. Either way, it's a really great scent. It didn't morph at all.

I'm not a foody scent kind of girl but this is good. Not sure how often I'll wear it but I definitely like it!

Wet, this is sweet, with a buttery topnote I recognize from Eat Me. As it dries down, it becomes more savory, the wine and meat smells coming out. For some reason, this reminds me most strongly of a Greek restaurant. Definitely interesting, but I'm not sure I want to go around smelling like dinner all day.

Sweet and bready, with lots of sweet grapey wine. Don't get much meat, but there is a touch of something earthy that could be it. Not really my thing, but very interesting one if you like foody and wine scents.

In the imp: Berries (that'll be the kvass, I take it)/wine with yeasty bread. Made me awfully peckish.

Wet: This really does smell just like crusty bread and fruity booze. Intensely foody.

Dry: A mix of berries, wine, and honey. Not bad, but I was hoping for more bread and meat in the dry stages.

In the imp: Exactly as described - the honey-bread stands out most, but it's all there. Yummy!

Wet on skin: Same as in the imp, except a little less honey bread & a little more roast meat. I want to eat my arm now...

Dry on skin: Pretty much exactly the same as both wet & in the imp. the honey-bread & meat notes are mostly equal now though.

After a few hours: This has barely changed at all the entire time! So crazy!

Verdict: This is a very, very, VERY cool scent! I don't know if I'll wear it much as a perfume (because... how often would I feel like smelling like a roast dinner) but it's a lot of fun to smell! It's discontinued & I only have an imp of it, so it's probably for the best that I prefer smelling this to smelling like this!

Yep, this is one of BPAL's tarty scents alright. Mostly getting the sweet bread! Which is... more like a pie but alright.

I wish I liked it but alas, tarty scents just don't seem to work on me. Fades real quick too! D'aw.

True to form, it smells like dinner baking. I get sweet raisin bread most of all, but there's also wine and a touch of something savory. It's like walking into someone's kitchen right after everything was pulled out of the oven. When it dries, the wine is much stronger and takes the center stage. I don't like smelling like a meal, so it's a pass, but am I impressed with the execution nonetheless.

Basically just a mead scent to me. Honey heavy and a bit yeasty.

The yeasty part kills it for me. Literal foodie scent.

In bottle: Sweet, deep, dark, almost resinous.

On me: That sure is berries! Sweet tart red berries, which my skin amps, so they take over the whole scent. Underneath is a promising dark smokey sweetness that help keeps the berries in check such that they're not too tart or overpowering, but this is still one-note.

On clothes, since skin isn't a fair test with my chemistry: This starts out significantly more balanced, a boozy, resinous, yeasty sweetness with a hint of berry. It reminds me of Gunpowder (Halloweenie 2008 Carrot peelings, hay, chaff, molasses, maple oats, red apples, stable wood, and musk.), another not-quite foodie scent, mostly because the yeast/bread doesn't feel as strictly gourmand as does something like chocolate or vanilla. But The Witch's Repast is much sweeter than Gunpowder. As this wears, the wine predominates, boozy and red, warm, still fairly sweet.

Verdict: Not for me, in either application. I would prefer this if it were less sweet or, weirdly enough, if I got the roasted meat--it needs something darker to tone down the wine and honeyed bread, to make it more witchy.

Edited by Juushika