Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

The Confectionary

Sniffing this in the bottle, it's a jumble of sweet foodiness - cotton candy, cream, something slightly fruity and perhaps a touch of something chocolatey. But on my wrist, it morphs into a dark cotton candy with wafts of incense. I'm sure this is going to be a big hit in the Carnival if/when it's released!

Isn't it funny how not only our chemistry but also our noses are different? Myth and XOMom both sniffed this at Dirty South Will Call and got mostly "sugar" with notes of peach. I got, I swear, a peach cobbler version of Crumpet Rebellion - buttery, bubbling sweet pastry, fresh from the oven, with crystallized sugar baked into the crust. It was served with fluffy cotton candy and spun-sugar flowers.

It's not a replacement for Candy Butcher (for one thing, I got not cream or chocolate notes), but it will make foody lovers very, very happy.

bottle: whoa! fruity cotton candy marshmallow overload!

wet: this gets a creamy-ness once applied, it's still a slightly cherry-flavored-cotton-candy-covered-with-marshmallow scent but there's a vanilla frosting scent in the mix now too.

dry: not exactly like beaver moon 2007, but there is a similarity. there is a thick creaminess underlying the sugar notes and a teensy fruity something that makes this smell very pink.

Another CD prototype that we tried at the SEWC. To me, it was like walking into a bake shop or a candy store, where everything is being made fresh. Very yummy! This is bottle-worthy when the new Act of the CD goes live.

The Confectionary - This is the scent of all sorts of goodies all in one place: baked pastries, cakes, sweetbreads, and candies, fudges, swirly sugar concoctions -- all covered in a light dusting of powdered sugar. Sugar notes usually don't work on my skin, and this one quickly takes on a burnt sugar quality, although it's not heavy and makes the skin smell a bit like creme brulee on me. Those who love the sweet/foody/sugary type of blends are going to go crazy for this one when it's released. This is a really fun scent.

Oh man do I ever love foody scents. I was stoked when this turned up.

Bottle: Sugar, caramel, cotton candy, and did I mention SUGAR?

Wet: Still very straightforwardly sweet, but with a hint of buttery shortbread underneath. Nom nom nom.

Drydown: A fruit note came out to play. I agree with hkhm that it's definitely pink, but I can't pin it down further than that. Maybe a little more girly than I'd usually go for, but sweet and lovely nonetheless.

I got a testable sniffie of this, and it's very much like pixie stix or some other kind of citrusy powdered sugar candy. There's a slightly dusty quality to it. Not getting any of the really buttery/foody scent, just dusty powdery sugar with a fruity edge. The citrus backs off after a few minutes on my skin (but my skin seems to gobble up citrus like whoa), and it's more cherry/fruity/possibly peachy? Very interesting, and those who like sweet candy scents will love it!

This ends up being a tart, fruity (I'm betting Pomegranate) candy-like blend on me. Very much like Penemuel said, pixie-stix. Or like a Sour Puss, or Slurpee kind of drink. Kind of reminds me a bit of Candy Phoenix, but with more powdery sugar dusted on top.

In bottle/imp: Cake! Almond! Chocolate! Fruit! In that order.

Immediately on skin: This scent is hard to pin down. It’s cakey, but not heavy at all. It’s got a whispy, sugary feel to it overall with a cakey overtone and hints of chocolate and fruit. It almost has a powdery feel over the whole thing, but it smells juicy and wet, not dry. I think that may be the chocolate.

After a little while: This smells a lot like cotton candy now with a little bit of cake poking through and perhaps a little white chocolate. Oh, and there’s a very juicy candied fruit overtone to the entire blend.

Overall Impressions: Imagine a glass cake display. There’s spun cotton candy, vanilla cake, chocolate fudge, candied fruit, and white chocolate dipped bonbons under the glass, all dusted with powdered suger. Then you realize that the whole glass covering is actually crystal clear, lightly fruity hard candy. That’s what this blend smells like.

This smells like girly fruit punch and cotton candy. Fruity tartness and lots of sugar, a pink scent. :heart:

I'm also getting something dusty when it dry, unfortunately it fades a bit too quickly on me.

Light yellow oil, maybe - nearly dry sniffie, so hard to tell. Pretty much straight sweet, creamy, vanillic yellow cake with rich, more sugary than butter vanilla frosting - but this is surprisingly not too sweet or buttery, not cloying. I get a bit of fruit punch candy fruit like it's been sprinkled on top of the cake.

Stronger, richer and foodier on my skin - the cake note is really pronounced, more than the frosting - and I get a definite hint of spice that is almost definitely clove, and possibly there's a little cinnamon or cassia here. This feels really 'warm', sort of comforting, like cake fresh out of the oven, and a bit of an autumnal vibe. More towards buttery (definite tonka here), and less towards the more delicate vanilla on my skin, sadly. That faint fruitiness I smelled initially is totally overwhelmed by CAKE at this point.

This is reminding me of CD023 quite a bit, so I'm pretty sure that was a proto for this scent. And now it's going fruity, further supporting that theory - I'm getting a berryish or stonefruit jam or jelly note of some sort - specific fruits that come to mind are raspberry, apricot and fig. There's a heavy warmth to the fruit which makes me most suspect the latter two. I also get a bit of a Candy Phoenix thing but lightly - I'm not getting all the intense sugar of other reviewers. The rich butter cake is still going strong, but smells drier - almost stale - and the creamy vanilla frosting is still sadly light.

This has turned incredibly fruity - the blend is all about the fruit now, with only a bit of slightly dry-stale yellow cake in the background. I've pinned down the fruits - I think - as a blend of apricot, fig, and possibly a little candied red cherry (think slushies, cherry flavoured blow pops, etc). The apricot mixed with the cherry and the hint of foody cake and spices reminds me of Banketstaaf- I'm pretty sure it's tee same apricot jam note - and the fig reminds me of the note from Carnal. I'd say the apricot is the strongest note at this point.

Unfortunately this is making my skin itch, and I don't get cinnamon red hots but I do get a lot of warmth so I'm still betting on cassia, even though it's not very distinct here. Very likely also a touch of clove, but mostly this is apricot jam, sweet fig and syrupy, candyish red cherry over a much lighter backdrop of foody, tonka-rich yellow cake with sugary vanilla icing. 90% super sweet fruit and 10% cake. Sure to be popular, but not working for me at all. Amps up to have decent throw and longevity.

Meh.

Edited by fairnymph

I agree with fairnymph.. I'm fairly certain that The Confectionary started out life as the CD023 prototype. However, where CD023 had a dusty sort of musk/amber/sandalwood kind of vibe, The Confectionary is more rich and syrupy - that 'dusty/dry' feel is not as obvious here.

I think this has some form of strawberry in it - if not, then a 'pink' fruit of some kind. There might be a very light touch of cherry, maaaaaybe raspberry, and maybe just a *teensy* touch of apricot. And cake. Strawberry cupcakes, almost, but it has a definite candy flavour that stops it being completely cakey. There's also a vanilla in here, but it's quite a dry vanilla.

To me, this has a similar feel to Midway - that cotton candy kind of sweetness - but where Midway had a chocolate-y undertone, The Confectionary has a pink fruity undertone. This is going to be loved by fans of blends like Candy Phoenix, Beaver Moon/Beaver'versary, Jailbait, Velvet Unicorn etc.

Berry white cake. It smells like a mixture of several different berries. Strawberry, raspberry, balckberries. Dusted with icing sugar. It kinda does have a Midway vibe. Kinda...and just like Midway it lasts all of 15 seconds on my skin.

Foodies are going to love this.

Vaporized sugar. The scent of walking into a sweets shop and taking a deep inhale.

I got mostly white sugar a la Velvet Unicorn/Sugar Skull [no burnt/caramelized tho]; it seems to be in the family with those scents. There could be some sweet fruity notes lurking about in here as well. It's not as fruity as VU though. If there is cake it's not buttery on me; it's more Angel's Food.

got a sniffie of this, and foody scents aren't really my thing, but this one isn't so bad in the grand scheme of foody scents ;)

at first, it smells like vanilla cake with a hint of...pineapple to me? i usually hate pineapple notes, but i kind of like this. there is something pretty about this scent, that slightly reminds me of bordello and i LOVE bordello. it's like a plum-strawberry when with vanilla when it settles down, and much less like pineapple now, hence the bordello comparison. uh oh, now i am kind of liking this a lot! though, i think i still like bordello better, this is really similar on my skin.

eta: about 10 minutes later, and i am still sniffing this a lot and liking it a lot. i like vanilla-foody sometimes, and not cakey-foody, which is why i think i like this. i am trying to figure out the differences between bordello, and am having trouble. bordello seems a bit more sophisticated and perfumy, and this is maybe a bit subtler. but still very pretty!

Edited by theseagrows

Creamy sugary florals. I really get a mishmash of notes - plum, strawberry, maybe cherry? There's a foodie-vanilla working as a base, but it doesn't code as cake to me. It's mainly a candy/fruity blend. Low throw and wearlength but given the age of this tiny sniffie, unsurprising.