Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

Now is anyone on this thread going to wear a Harry Potter appropriate scent to go see The Half Blood Prince next week? I know that I will be wearing my wizard hat and some Hellcat ( which to me resembles Butterbeer). Just curious :D

Now is anyone on this thread going to wear a Harry Potter appropriate scent to go see The Half Blood Prince next week? I know that I will be wearing my wizard hat and some Hellcat ( which to me resembles Butterbeer). Just curious :D

On Thursday I'm going to the premiere of The Half Blood Prince here in Perth, and I will be upholding my tradition of wearing Trick or Treat to Harry Potter movies. To me, Trick or Treat is how I imagine the Great Hall of Hogwarts would smell during Halloween celebrations.

Great, now I'm stressing about this. Not only do I have to choose a good wizarding scent, it ought to suit HBP in particular... :thud:

I feel like the Mirror of Erised would have amber and slush in it. I'm not sure why.

P.S. The Sorcerer's Stone is on television right now and though I didn't mean to start watching it, apparently I am. And thinking about all the scentscapes of the Harry Potter world while I'm at it....

I'm also cosplaying at Azkatraz, as Rowena Ravenclaw. I've tossed around a few different ideas for a BPAL scent to match her, but I haven't settled on anything yet.

The Raven, naturally!

I always wear Snake Oil to openings. It IS my signature and I fancy being from Slythern House... :twisted: (though any snakes would do).

Other scents that evoke HP world:

Bewitched

Hellcat

the Unicorn

Ouija (so wispy and etherial!)

Zombi (for the infiri!)

I think Malfory would smell like Severin...just...REALLY!

Dragon's (blood) anything

I'm also cosplaying at Azkatraz, as Rowena Ravenclaw. I've tossed around a few different ideas for a BPAL scent to match her, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I'm thinking something scholarly and dignified, but still very feminine. Any ideas? I know we talked about Dee as a good scent for Ravenclaw house (and it really is), but it's kind of masculine for the character I have in mind.

I'll put on my thinking cap about Bathsheba Babbling, an Alecto scent without vetiver and Jupita's suggestions!

The Raven, lol.

Dee is very nice, but I agree it's too masculine. I would say Clio (I love it, I wish I could have gotten a bottle before it was discontinued!) would be a feminine example of the best qualities of Dee.

Aeval, perhaps? I imagine her smelling fresh and clean and feminine (in addition to parchment. lol), some one who takes walked through the fields to clear her head after study, carrying the scent of local flora on the hem of her gown. Too bad there isn't a Welsh scent. :D

Bringing Bathsheba & Yggdrasil for Bathsheba

Bringing The Coiled Serpent and Bloodlust for Alecto. Nemesis would be perfect, but I don't seem to have it. ANd gods know I can't wear Alecto without choking y'all - I do bad things to vetiver.

(plus a bunch of the snake pit, snake oil, black phoenix, fenris wolf, the lion, sin, a couple of dragons, and who knows what else. also bringing big bag of imps that don't work on me, sharing the love.)

For the visoning of HBP, I'll probably go wearing Belladonna, since it's a known ingridient for potionmaking and because in one of my favourite fanfictions, it was the password to Severus's private quarters...)

+ it's one of those scents I can wear dispite the HOT weather...

Edited by Jupita

I wonder if Beth took any inspiration from the Harry Potter books...there are so many you have all mentioned that are just perfect!

But unless I've missed it, I still don't have scent for Mrs. Norris... :lol:

I wonder if Beth took any inspiration from the Harry Potter books...there are so many you have all mentioned that are just perfect!

But unless I've missed it, I still don't have scent for Mrs. Norris... :lol:

Mrs Norris should, I think, be Humbug (Vanilla licorice)

That's the only Mrs. Norris suggestion I've seen. I think it's really good, but it would be nice if we could figure out a GC suggestion. Mrs. Norris is hard-- the cat scents people have suggested for Crookshanks, for example, just don't seem to suit her.

As for Beth taking inspiration from HP... I think I remember seeing something somewhere (could have been on the forums, but BPAL has accounts on MySpace and LJ and blahblahblah, and I could have read a link leading off in god knows what direction) that made me go "Oh, sounds like Beth reads Harry Potter!" I mean, I wouldn't guess she explicitly draws ideas from it, but some books do have the ability to touch you with their sense of aesthetics whether you mean for them to or not. I know I find myself working on a drawing or something and later realizing, "Wait, this looks kinda like it could be from [insert book/film here]."

As for finding connections between BPAL scents and Harry Potter, I figure we're just seeing what we want to see. There's a lot of words and ingredients that crop up that could be from the Potterverse, but that's just because Rowling took a lot from traditional mythology, something Beth also happens to draw on.

I'm also cosplaying at Azkatraz, as Rowena Ravenclaw. I've tossed around a few different ideas for a BPAL scent to match her, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I'm thinking something scholarly and dignified, but still very feminine. Any ideas? I know we talked about Dee as a good scent for Ravenclaw house (and it really is), but it's kind of masculine for the character I have in mind.

I'll put on my thinking cap about Bathsheba Babbling, an Alecto scent without vetiver and Jupita's suggestions!

The Raven, lol.

Dee is very nice, but I agree it's too masculine. I would say Clio (I love it, I wish I could have gotten a bottle before it was discontinued!) would be a feminine example of the best qualities of Dee.

Aeval, perhaps? I imagine her smelling fresh and clean and feminine (in addition to parchment. lol), some one who takes walked through the fields to clear her head after study, carrying the scent of local flora on the hem of her gown. Too bad there isn't a Welsh scent. :D

I wish there were Welsh scents! As it is, I think "Ars Draconis" is about as close as we come. (You know... dragons.)

Okay, okay, I admit that you've all convinced me to give The Raven a second sniff! I tried it some months ago and was sort of meh about it (all other violet scents suffer for not being Violet Ray, according to my nose :lol:), but I can see the connection and I'll give it another test run today. And I really, REALLY like the idea of Aeval and the fresh, outdoors scents, because I can really see that. Now I'm thinking about Phantom Queen and The Host of the Air for Rowena; they're Irish scents, but they totally capture that clean, feminine, meadow-fresh feel.

EDIT: Okay, no, I still don't care for The Raven, and it still doesn't smell like Rowena to me. Phantom Queen, Aeval and Host of the Air are coming instead.

Bringing Bathsheba & Yggdrasil for Bathsheba

Bringing The Coiled Serpent and Bloodlust for Alecto. Nemesis would be perfect, but I don't seem to have it. ANd gods know I can't wear Alecto without choking y'all - I do bad things to vetiver.

Bathsheba, duh! How did I not think of that? (Answer: because I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off, wondering how I'm going to be ready in time for my flight on Thursday.) But yes, that's a great fit. And as to your question about the other profs, I was wondering if Sinistra, Astronomy professor that she is, wears either Eclipse or Umbra.

I was actually going to suggest Bloodlust for an alternative to Alecto, too... but then I remembered that Bloodlust also has vetiver. (Note: in BPAL-dom, vetiver=evil, which... I often agree with, actually.) Is that a vetiver that you can wear? I know it's not the funky vetiver that I don't like, because it comes out more cinnamon on me, but I know that you were trying to avoid it.

Unfortunately, I don't have Nemesis either, or I'd bring it for you.

Edited by Bluestocking

That's the only Mrs. Norris suggestion I've seen. I think it's really good, but it would be nice if we could figure out a GC suggestion. Mrs. Norris is hard-- the cat scents people have suggested for Crookshanks, for example, just don't seem to suit her.

Mrs. Norris strikes me as sort of chthonic. Maybe:

Crossroads A chill twilit garden of blooms over dry earth and mosses, heavily laden with incense and offertory herbs.

I think the dirt element adds a lot to this one. Sort of the scent of a cat that has been slinking around spying and had to run through bushes and herb gardens to get her quarry.

The Witch's Garden Morning glory vines twisting around a patch of rampion, carrot, and parsley, with monkshood, hemlock, elfwort, sage, wormwood, and mandrake.

Sort of the same concept as above but without the dirt.

Seance rosewood, crushed rose leaf and the slightest touch of warm hazel.

Not necessarily Mrs. Norris herself but the sense of being watched by her.

The Obsidian Widow Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

Dark, intriguing and full of feminity without necessarily representing human feminity. I think it's the scuttling description of the scent that inspires the connection.

Man, this thread is so much fun for geeking out.

Crossroads A chill twilit garden of blooms over dry earth and mosses, heavily laden with incense and offertory herbs.

I think the dirt element adds a lot to this one. Sort of the scent of a cat that has been slinking around spying and had to run through bushes and herb gardens to get her quarry.

The Witch's Garden Morning glory vines twisting around a patch of rampion, carrot, and parsley, with monkshood, hemlock, elfwort, sage, wormwood, and mandrake.

The Obsidian Widow Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

Dark, intriguing and full of feminity without necessarily representing human feminity. I think it's the scuttling description of the scent that inspires the connection.

Yes, yes it is.

Regarding the Beth being ispired by Harry Potter, I would guess it is probably just a love of similar mythology and herbalism etc. that J.K. Rowling also probably has. Rowling used a ton of mythology and real life historical figures to craft HP, which is pretty evident if you research into some of the terms and the characters that are taught to the students of Hogwarts. I think I remember finding out that Nicholas Flemmel was a real person but I cant remember how at the moment. I think Beth and co. are creative enough on their own, but you can be inspired by so many things in life its hard to tell. Perhaps one of the great mysteries is that we will never know.

Yes, yes it is.

Regarding the Beth being ispired by Harry Potter, I would guess it is probably just a love of similar mythology and herbalism etc. that J.K. Rowling also probably has. Rowling used a ton of mythology and real life historical figures to craft HP, which is pretty evident if you research into some of the terms and the characters that are taught to the students of Hogwarts. I think I remember finding out that Nicholas Flemmel was a real person but I cant remember how at the moment. I think Beth and co. are creative enough on their own, but you can be inspired by so many things in life its hard to tell. Perhaps one of the great mysteries is that we will never know.

Yes, Nicholas Flammel was a french alchemist.

His shop still exists in Paris, and is one of the oldest houses in town..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamel

These are all great! I don't know why I love her so much, but I read the first HP book with my students and they loved Mrs. Norris to!

Luna: anything moon, maiden, soft, or fae...Maiden, Eve, Ouija, any lunar (of course!), Alice, Fae...Antique Lace even, really. She is so soft, pale, and wistful...

Definitely something a little light and ethereal. A few recs:

The Lady on the Grey pearly sandalwood, white amber, tobacco flower, orris, castoreum bouquet, soft resins, and pale petals.

Very dry and pale. This is the one that immediately sprang to mind.

Lurid black currant, Bulgarian lavender and white musk with a dollop of thick resin and a voltaic charge of ozone notes.

I think of this as sort of a younger Luna scent. It's a bit more playful and light without losing that sort of intense gravity Luna has around her.

Black Opal Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire.

A pale, sort of creamy vanilla with a touch of mineral.

Hairy Toad LilySpotty, hairy, purple, sweet!

I think it has the same sort of whimsy Luna embodies--fun and spunky but with something a bit sinister.

Iambe Sudanese amber, patchouli, rose, gardenia, gladiola and white tea

Soft and pretty with a bright edge from the tea.

I wore Hand of Glory to the premiere in Halifax last night.. :wub2:

The beeswax and smoke make me think of studying the in Hogwarts library late at night, and of course Malfoy owns a Hand of Glory.

It doesn't hurt that it's one of my favorite scents.

Edited by revinn

Yes, yes it is.

Yes, Nicholas Flammel was a french alchemist.

His shop still exists in Paris, and is one of the oldest houses in town..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamel

Ah, thanks! I knew I had seen it somewhere. That is so cool that his shop still exists! My two friends just went to Paris, I should've had them take a picture or something for me.

Okay, after much consideration, it's down to either The Shivering Boy or Ichabod Crane for seeing the film tonight. Other serious considerations were Fearful Pleasure, The Apothecary, Dragon's Heart, and Boomslang, but I decided I should pick something that we've decided on here as Snape-centric. It is Half-Blood Prince, after all.

I think I'm going with The Shivering Boy.

... unless I change my mind. :blush:

Hand of Glory sounds like a good choice, Revinn! Unfortunately, I don't have it myself. I think beeswax is a great wizardy note, too (hence Ichabod Crane).

And The Lady on the Grey sounds wonderful for Luna. I could spend some time on a list of Luna-esque scents, but the movie's, um... tonight, so I don't think it would be much help at this point!

I think I'm going with Punkie Night - it's my favorite back-to-school perfume, and since we're headed back to Hogwarts....

Still trying to decide what to wear! I ordered a few scents to try for Sanpe, but they are not here yet so I have to go with what I have on hand. Fortunately, I've decided Perversion is my Snape scent. I'll put it in my scent locket--for private consumption. :yum:

Couldn't come with anything for poor Mrs. Norris.

Frankly, when I hear "Mrs. Norris," the first thing that comes to mind is "Hellcat."

Granted, the scent notes aren't right, but doesn't it suit her to a T? :D

Many pumpkin patch scents would work for HP, too. Hagrid's pumpkin patch, the yearly Halloween celebration, not to mention the ubiquitous pumpkin juice!

And as for The Lady on the Grey, it would also work for The Grey Lady. (Yes, I'm being obvious.) But since she's the Ravenclaw house ghost (and has that other Ravenclaw association), that makes it a good choice for Luna, too!

I still need to pick a good Hufflepuff perfume. I'm going to contemplate it while I iron my uniform and polish my wand. :)

Edited by MaidMirawyn

I still need to pick a good Hufflepuff perfume. I'm going to contemplate it while I iron my uniform and polish my wand. :)

I responded to that over in the Entertainment HBP thread, and from the list of your bottles, I think Milk Moon 07 and Pumpkin I 08 sound the most Hufflepuffish. :D

In general, I feel Hufflepuff scents would be earthy (possibly including literal "dirt" notes if you like them), humble, warm, perhaps a little foody. Something with gingerbread or molasses maybe. You don't happen to have any Gunpowder, do you?

Any ideas for Luna Lovegood? I'm going to a screening tomorrow in costume and I'm trying to think of a perfume that would match her.

I think Moon Rose is a good match for Luna.

I responded to that over in the Entertainment HBP thread, and from the list of your bottles, I think Milk Moon 07 and Pumpkin I 08 sound the most Hufflepuffish. :D

In general, I feel Hufflepuff scents would be earthy (possibly including literal "dirt" notes if you like them), humble, warm, perhaps a little foody. Something with gingerbread or molasses maybe. You don't happen to have any Gunpowder, do you?

That sounds like Lawn Gnome...)))

Tho, Lawn Gnome should be the scent of the Burrow, imho.

Back from the HBP - Ended up wearing Belladona for the first part of the movie, followed by Prunella when that one faded (the only blend I had in my bag).

Edited by Jupita