Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

I brought Saturnalia for Droxy for her muggle!Snape a la Seven Preposterous Things. It smells as bad on her as it does on me - all motor oil and dead things. Perfect! :D ROFL

I brought Saturnalia for Droxy for her muggle!Snape a la Seven Preposterous Things. It smells as bad on her as it does on me - all motor oil and dead things. Perfect! :D ROFL

:lol: So true! Yeah, for that story, that is the perfect choice. Mundungus went through my stash and tried Saturnalia, too, and it smelled as good to her as it does to me, which is to say, not at all. Not a Luna scent, anyway, right? I suggested Moon Rose for her Magizoologist Luna costume, but we finally decided to put her in Absinthe, because she wrote "The Absinthe of Reason." :D

I ended up wearing The Host of the Air with my Rowena Ravenclaw costume, and it was a hit. I even got a few "Mmmm, you smell so good" compliments, which, you know, are always welcome.

How about Destroying Angel for one of the darker female charachters... Bellatrix or something?

Destroying Angel smells sinister enough for Slitherin.

Edited by reina

Has no one suggested Miskatonic University?

(A venerable New England MAGICAL university, whose vast library holds many rare, diabolical and obscure arcane works, including one of the few surviving legitimate copies of the Necronomicon. Home to innumerable scholars of the esoteric and the occult, and the notorious Dr. Herbert WestSeverus Snape. The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.)

And for the bubotubors... Squirting Cucumber.

Edited by bheansidhe

Has no one suggested Miskatonic University?

(A venerable New England MAGICAL university, whose vast library holds many rare, diabolical and obscure arcane works, including one of the few surviving legitimate copies of the Necronomicon. Home to innumerable scholars of the esoteric and the occult, and the notorious Dr. Herbert WestSeverus Snape. The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.)

And for the bubotubors... Squirting Cucumber.

To me Hogwarts would be more Tintagel than Misk U. The coffee note doesn't gel with my idea of a British castle.

I would vote for Tintagel over Miskatonic U as well, but that's partially because I just personally like the former so much better (Oh, MU, how you broke my heart by smelling like old popcorn). I also think Tintagel seems more traditionally medieval.

However, Hogwarts has a lot of personalities. There are multiple answers here. Tintagel strikes me as a "Gryffindor common room" and "Great Hall at Christmastime" sort of scent while Miskatonic University seems more like an amalgam of the kitchens and the library... maybe illicitly eating/drinking something in the library.... Madam Pince would not approve. :evil:

This thread was so much fun to go through! Wish I'd thought of wearing a themed bpal to the HP movie (pretty sure I was wearing Dorian, which works for me since there was so much Malfoy in it ;) )

Here's a few more due to insomnia:

Mrs. Norris might be - The Buggre Alle this Bible: Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

The Golden Snitch - Phoenix Steamworks: Burnished gold and oiled bronze notes with Abramelin incense and sage

Hagrid - Bonfire Night (maybe with a pinch of Dragon's Blood): Beer, woodsmoke, tar, and treacle. Or maybe Doc Constantine.

Fang - The Two-Headed Goat: Dark musk, pimento berry, oakmoss, birch wood, and petitgrain.

Mundungus Fletcher - Maybe Centzon Tetochtin since they preside over parties and drunkenness? Ooh, Fairy Wine :D

Narcissa Malfoy - Le Serpent qui Danse: A sinister, darkly seductive scent inspired by poetry of Charles Baudelaire. Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia.

Can't remember if someone mentioned this one, but for The Mirror of Erised I'd like - Lady of Shallot: The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

Viktor Crumb - Lurid has the Bulgarian lavender and ozone for all that Quidditch playing ;) : Shocking, horrific, fierce, savage, sensationalized, luminous and hazy: black currant, Bulgarian lavender and white musk with a dollop of thick resin and a voltaic charge of ozone notes.

Centaurs - Robin Goodfellow: Dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage

Peeves - Imp: Devilishly playful: white peach, amber, golden musk and patchouli.

Voldemort - Bloodlust: A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon. Or Bluebeard: A scent swirling with dark rage, unbridled jealousy, and murderous intent. Violet, lavender, white musk, and vetiver.

I think of Sirius Black when I wear Dracul. Drooooool : Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

But I will totally jump on the Crowley train!

James Potter - I haven't tried this one, but I love the description of Wolf's Heart: Grants courage under extreme conditions, helps overcome fear of death, and strengthens the fortitude of artists and businessmen, enabling them to further their goals.

Lilly Potter - Cordelia: The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

For some reason, many of the Gaiman scents work just as well for me as HP scents:

Kind Dumbledore - Mr. Nancy: Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime

Kick-Ass Dumbledore - Odin: His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power. (Not a Gaiman bpal specifically, but gotta love him in American Gods)

Ginny Weasley - Pepper (They share the red hair, too!) : Wild English roses, French gardenia, vanilla, honey, golden ginger, blood orange, pine resin, pink pepper, crushed berries, tuberose, bergamot, and geranium.

Harry Potter - I know it's a completely different character, but I love the outdoors-y, courageous charm of......Tristran: Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

Sheesh, my imagination is getting carried away!

And I probably never would have gotten around to googling "Severus Snape fanfiction" if I hadn't seen this thread :eek:

This is a great thread. So nerdy! :D

Mrs. Norris made me think of Brown Jenkin, what with the whole creepy scurrying familiar-like animal association: A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

Anything for Tonks? I haven't seen her mentioned (unless I missed it) and she's one of my favorites... She'd need a cheery, ever-morphing scent, I think.

Mrs. Norris made me think of Brown Jenkin, what with the whole creepy scurrying familiar-like animal association: A small, furry, sharp-toothed scent that will nuzzle you curiously in the black hours before dawn: dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense.

Anything for Tonks? I haven't seen her mentioned (unless I missed it) and she's one of my favorites... She'd need a cheery, ever-morphing scent, I think.

Perhaps Croquet?

Lime, Grapefruit, Nectarine, Rose, Sage, Patchouli, Bergamot and hedgehog musk...

I dont know why I think of this in reference to Tonks probably because its sort of a crazy scent and Tonks has some craziness in her :)

Maybe:

ARCANA: The essence of magickal enigmas and long-forgotten esoteric mysteries. Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and verbena.

or

Bewitched:Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

or

Phantasom:This delicate, spectral perfume gives rise to an eerie distortion of of the senses. It bestows an ephemeral, ghostly, and truly haunting quality to your presence. Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

When I think of her, I think of a powerful loyal lover and mother, and couragous witch. She may like Dana O'Shee or Dragon's Milk with the little one around!

Edited by lookingglass

So, I would just like to point out that some of the new scents immediately made me think of Harry Potter because I am a huge dork and addicted to this thread from the beginning.

Sarah: Unholy mist congealing into soft, white flesh, with black marble, remnants of liturgical incense, wolf's fur, and black flecks of froth.

Unholy mist congealing into white flesh? Stone? Black froth? Clearly the Inferi-filled cave lake at the end of HBP.

Feeding the Dead: A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense.

Deathday Party! Except everything needs to be more, um... rotton.

Carlin: Black sage, ivy-twined rowan, thistle, snapdragon, heather, gorse, fumitory, and anise.

Another one that makes me think of McGonagall.

The Hell-Gate of Ireland: Smoldering brimstone, bitter labdanum, clove, black musk, and copper-colored feathers.

Seems like a good climactic, battle scent. Could work for various scenes. Kind of makes me think of Harry chasing Snape out onto the grounds with Hagrid's hut burning behind them.

Pomona: Azaroles, nuts, and apple blossoms with red apple pulp, mulberry, blackberry, and pomegranate juice.

Professor Sprout's name is Pomona. ^_^

Um, has anyone pointed out Sunbird for Fawkes? Or is that just too obvious to care about? lol.

Lady of Shallot is a great suggestion for the Mirror of Erised. I'm completely on board with that. House of Mirrors (Antique amber frames a series of distorted, eternally warping clear crystal and glass notes) would be my suggestion, but it is, again, obvious.

Will be back with suggestions for Tonks. That might take me awhile. lol.

I am resurrecting this dead thread to say that Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener is exactly what I imagine Butterbeer should smell like: sweet, warm, buttery root beer!

Seeing as this thread's already been ressurected, I thought I'd chime in!

Lucious Malfoy would be The Bow and Crown of Conquest, at least to me:

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

For the Dementors I vote,

Oblivion: Salvation found in darkness beyond darkness, the blessed sleep of nothingness. Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron.

For the Deatheaters as a group,

Anathema: A scent as heavy as thunder from the Vatican, with notes that inspire every sin and excess. Black opium, with vetivert and honeysuckle.

For Voldemort,

Darkness:

The waves were dead; the tides were in their grave,

The moon, their mistress, had expir'd before;

The winds were wither'd in the stagnant air,

And the clouds perish'd; Darkness had no need

Of aid from them -- She was the Universe.</I>

Bottled gloom; the essence of oblivion. Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh.

Seven pages of discussion about Harry Potter scents and not one recommendation for Ron Weasley? :eek:

I think he'd smell very earthy and green (from the garden at The Burrow), with a hint of ozone (from the Quidditch pitch). I also like to think he'd be a bit minty, thanks to the spearmint toothpase scent in Hermione's Amortentia. Based on these ideas, we have:

Tin Phoenix: Pale metals, crackling ozone, hyssop, white mint, tonka, and lemongrass.

A Howl in the Darkness: Animalic brown musk, wild sage, Terebinth pine, black oak, kunzea, cistus labdanum, verbena, juniper, metallic ozone, and white mint.

The Ring: Antiqued amber, frankincense, patchouli, hay, oakmoss, skin musk, and white mint.

But I haven't tried any of those so I can't testify to their Ronness.

Any other suggestions?

Seven pages of discussion about Harry Potter scents and not one recommendation for Ron Weasley?

I love A Howl In The Darkness, but I can't quite imagine it on Ron... it's kinda dark and wild and animalistic and altogether more wolfy than Ron tends to be. Throw some black leather in there and you'd have Sirius. Yum.

Bogleis yummy and comforting and makes me think of The Burrow:

BOGLE

A garish shellycoat: red currant, Spanish mandarin, pumpkin, quince, wild blueberry, and ginger with green tea, vanilla bean, frankincense, tonka, and vetiver.

Ron himself I always picture snacking on something, so I feel like he needs a foody scent, something with toffee or chocolate. Maybe Gelt (chocolate and amber, has a sweet biscuit note to my nose) layered over Glasgow (blackberry and heather, so warm and cozy and a little outdoorsy)?

Edited by halation

Rereading the Deathly Hallows again...

-There are firey Chimeras in The Battle @ Hogwarts

-p.649 "...he almost welcomed the oncoming oblivion, the promise of nothing, of no feeling..."

-the Coiled Serpent/Serpent's Kiss/Pain in the Shrieking Shack

-Black Lily-for Snape's love for Lily

-Ron...I think he'd smell good in the Lion, but Howl in Darkness sounds perfect-haven't smelled it.

-White Light-maybe for Ron or the memories...

-Fenris Wolf

-Goblin

-Elf

...but what now, for Snape-Severin is gone...Horreur Sympathetique?

Edited by lookingglass

So I'm trying to put together an imp (or decant) pack for a friend, who is not into BPAL but is into Harry Potter. We've never actually met in person (not yet!) so I have no idea what type of scents she prefers, what she smells like, etc--what I'm looking to collect for her would be scents that are evocative of the series (or parts of the series), but also possibly good for someone new to BPAL. So they don't have to be all universal crowd-pleasers, but maybe one or two, at least.

As for the series, her favorite character is Remus, so I'm thinking of definitely decanting WILF for her, and maybe Fenris Wolf. I'll also be looking for a decant of Werepuppy for Teddy, but not sure about Tonks--I skimmed the thread and didn't find any scent that screams of Tonks to me. Maybe something has come out recently that works for her?

Certainly getting her:

The Lion

The Raven

Snake Oil

(unsure about Hufflepuff--someone suggested Enraged Groundhog Musk? in terms of feel, I think Halfling might work, but Halfling is a bit too steeped in RPG/etc that I want to steer clear of it, if possible)

Likely shoo-ins:

Magus

London

I don't have anything for Hogwarts yet though. I've seen recs of Miskatonic U and Tintagel, I might decide for the former myself.

I'm also steering clear from the ingredients suggestions (i.e. Boomslang) because then I'd feel like I'd have to included ALLLLL of them. I don't want to overwhelm her haha.

So I'm trying to put together an imp (or decant) pack for a friend, who is not into BPAL but is into Harry Potter. We've never actually met in person (not yet!) so I have no idea what type of scents she prefers, what she smells like, etc--what I'm looking to collect for her would be scents that are evocative of the series (or parts of the series), but also possibly good for someone new to BPAL. So they don't have to be all universal crowd-pleasers, but maybe one or two, at least.

As for the series, her favorite character is Remus, so I'm thinking of definitely decanting WILF for her, and maybe Fenris Wolf. I'll also be looking for a decant of Werepuppy for Teddy, but not sure about Tonks--I skimmed the thread and didn't find any scent that screams of Tonks to me. Maybe something has come out recently that works for her?

Certainly getting her:

The Lion

The Raven

Snake Oil

(unsure about Hufflepuff--someone suggested Enraged Groundhog Musk? in terms of feel, I think Halfling might work, but Halfling is a bit too steeped in RPG/etc that I want to steer clear of it, if possible)

Likely shoo-ins:

Magus

London

I don't have anything for Hogwarts yet though. I've seen recs of Miskatonic U and Tintagel, I might decide for the former myself.

I'm also steering clear from the ingredients suggestions (i.e. Boomslang) because then I'd feel like I'd have to included ALLLLL of them. I don't want to overwhelm her haha.

Dude, for Hufflepuff---Badger! It's a 2008 LE, but you should be able to track down an imp with an ISO over in Wanted.

Also, I think you should throw in Bewitched---it's a sparkly, magical scent, and it's light and pretty, a great starter BPAL.

And I definitely say Tintagel over Misk U; Tintagel is definitely the scent of Hogwarts to me.

For Tonks---kind of a long story and probably wouldn't make sense to your friend, but I have always worn Coyote when I've dressed up as her (which has been the last two midnight book releases and the last four midnight movie premieres; before Tonks was introduced to the Potterverse I was always Hermione). Fenris Wolf is Lupin's scent to me, the wild untamed beast in Lupin mixed with a gentleman's mild aftershave, and Coyote is almost the feminine form of FW in my head---a softer, more delicate scent, but with every bit of the lust for the wild and the sense of freedom. It's a complicated analogy, but Coyote suits Tonks so much IMO.

And Werepuppy for Teddy is too inspired, I love it.

ETA: Oh, and perhaps Spellbound!

Edited by Eoife Macbeth

Dude, for Hufflepuff---Badger! It's a 2008 LE, but you should be able to track down an imp with an ISO over in Wanted.

Also, I think you should throw in Bewitched---it's a sparkly, magical scent, and it's light and pretty, a great starter BPAL.

And I definitely say Tintagel over Misk U; Tintagel is definitely the scent of Hogwarts to me.

For Tonks---kind of a long story and probably wouldn't make sense to your friend, but I have always worn Coyote when I've dressed up as her (which has been the last two midnight book releases and the last four midnight movie premieres; before Tonks was introduced to the Potterverse I was always Hermione). Fenris Wolf is Lupin's scent to me, the wild untamed beast in Lupin mixed with a gentleman's mild aftershave, and Coyote is almost the feminine form of FW in my head---a softer, more delicate scent, but with every bit of the lust for the wild and the sense of freedom. It's a complicated analogy, but Coyote suits Tonks so much IMO.

And Werepuppy for Teddy is too inspired, I love it.

Oh thank you! I did not know there was a Badger blend now--I'll definitely track it down. I haven't smelled/tested Misk U nor Tintagel, haha, so I can't comment, but I will definitely try both. Maybe include both!

I think Coyote sounds fabulous--a feminine Fenris Wolf sounds like a good match ;) I was also frimped A Howl in the Darkness some time ago and I'm saving that low partial to give to her as well. Haha I'm feeling a bit worried that there will be too many wolfy scents though!