Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of sexual obsession, slavery to sensual pleasure, and the undercurrent of innocence defiled utterly. Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

In the imp: wow, that's certainly honey. I can smell the amber and vanilla too, but it's mostly buried under the honey.

On me, wet: hmm, this has a bastet-like slight marzipan scent - I wonder if that's just sweet amber, rather than almond, then? - and a lot of honey, with a slightly dusty feel to it.

On me, dry: vanilla-honey, very sweet and slightly powdery. Enh. I guess I don't like BPAL's vanilla, and I really don't like the honey.

Verdict: It's fine for what it is, but what it is isn't something I want to wear.

Hmm, there is definitely something in O when it's wet that's not agreeing with me. It's gotta be the honey. I really want to like honey, but it doesn't always like me back. This is sad. The notes looked so good.

About an hour in, my wrist is suddenly glued to my nose and I'm taking those long huffing breaths that eventually make me kind of dizzy but it's worth it because this is goooooood. Seriously, can I get my wrists any closer to my nose? Maybe if I kind of smoosh them against it...

Another hour later... still good. Warm and vanilla-y and very close to my skin. This isn't a scent to go wafting through the air. It's for me and the person embracing me and that's it. Why didn't I try this sooner?

O my. This is an absolutely filthy vanilla blend. Not filthy in the Play-Doh vanilla sense, but in how suggestive this scent is. This is not innocent vanilla--this is what a leer smells like. The vanilla, honey, and amber are very, very sweet. The first time I tried it I thought it was too sticky and cloying, but it grew on me as the day went on. The amber just glows and the vanilla and honey smell like the most decadent dessert ever (drizzled, of course, over a partner). It smells like a stronger, headier version of that honey dusting powder that seems to be all the rage.

Be forewarned--a little bit of this blend goes a very long way. A drop will do: I slathered this on and it took over the room, took its clothes off, and refused to leave. Throw and staying power are both enormous. This is a blend for the bedroom. It also plays really well with other naughty blends (I've been adding a drop when I wear Hell's Belle). While Blood Kiss is still my favourite vanilla blend, I will be getting more of this.

In the bottle, it's a sassy and sexy honey vanilla.

Unfortunately, the second it hits my skin it's all playdough. Playdough with lots of throw.

Blasted honey.

In the vial: honey, vanilla, and soft floral notes.

Wet: Oh, my. This is strong! Maybe I should say potent. Delicious honey vanilla.

Dry: The honey note toned down once the oil dried and it is now the most luscious vanilla. It isn't just plain vanilla, but vanilla deepend by something very naughty. I will be getting more of this, but I won't be wearing it to the office :P

This smells TERRIBLE.

Seriously. I initially was quite ready to try it, on the basis that everyone else here likes it so much -- but when I tried it on at the lab, all I got was a funky sort of spoiled smell. I put it down to olfactory exhaustion at the time.

Well, I got an imp as a freebie in swaps on the lj forums (thanks!) and was able to try it properly at home. And guess what? ...it STILL smells awful on me. It's a reasonably nice foody smell in the bottle, but on my skin it's got this dreadful rancid sour smell -- not even the Play-Doh that some are complaining about, but something genuinely foul-smelling. I wish I knew what did this, 'cause I'd avoid it like the plague. Wow. Bleah. Yeah, I knew I had weird chemistry.

Quite some throw and staying power, though. Not sure that's a good thing.

“O”

3/13/06

Wet: Smells v. similar to Bordello, sweet. Little like honey Kinda musky as well.

Dry: Floral and sickly. Totally not my thing. I can still smell it at midnight.

Scent in bottle: A nice clear amber-vanilla mix.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Vanilla. Lots and lots of vanilla.

Dry -- The vanilla and honey and amber combine to make this heavy, sweet, almost almond-like scent that sits on my wrist and lurks. The effect is much like the almond in Bordello.

Conclusion: It's honey and amber -- that should be unutterably beautiful on my skin, and no. Make it go away...

Wow, the different reactions people have had to this perfume are amazing. Fruity and chocolatey, out of a perfume made up of honey, vanilla and amber...that's just so cool to me.

The story of O: I had not, originally, ever particularly thought of trying O. There was a person I knew who raved about it when I was first venturing into BPAL, and as I did not particularly like her...I had bad associations. But O was determined to find me anyway. Two of my friends in college to whom I had introduced BPAL both LOVED the sound of it and were determined to order imps of it.

So one chilly Saturday evening, my friend brought over her newly-arrived imps and half a bottle of Cavalier rum. She had her imp of O in that pile. As we passed the rum back and forth, I asked her to pick one for me to try. She picked O.

I opened the imp, and dabbed some on.

Immediately the sense of woozy intoxication from the rum doubled when the smell hit my nose. "Oh, GOD," I said. "This is INCREDIBLE." It was. On me, no one note stands out--it's simply all creamy sweet golden beauty. It is not the raw, musky REALITY of sex, but rather the bright golden creaminess of the first stages of arousal, like when you're reading erotica, or salsa dancing, or when your pursuit of a sexual prey is nearing its end and you are sweetly confident that you'll get your way. It is innocent...but dangerously sexy.

As I smelled it again and again--between swigs of rum and gossip--I finally came up with a good [drunken] comparison. I looked at my friend solemnly and announced, "I smell...like a freshly fucked Catholic schoolgirl...LOOKS. All sweet and innocent in that cute little uniform...but with her skirt up around her waist and her shirt missing a few buttons...and her panties danging off her ankle."

I say this with my nice big 10ml in front of me. *grins*

Edited by Cielamara

For me, O is a perfect example of what BPAL does best, give you a perfume that’s much more interesting than the sum of its parts. Initially, I didn’t like this scent. For some reason, it read a little rubbery to my nose at first, and I disliked that inital burst so much that I wiped it off and didn’t allow it a drydown. I realized later that that scent was like honey without the sweetness, if that makes sense. I’ll do a longer review later with the stages, as I’m wearing it at the moment layered with another scent. It blends really well with cinnamon and spicy scents, on my skin. By itself, it’s almost disconcertingly subtle. Like it wants to be sweeter, but the amber (which I never would have sniffed out on my own) does a lot of grounding. It’s very sexy, but not overtly.

I'm getting a 5ml of it as soon as I can. It's a very adult kind of sexy.

In the bottle: Sweet, sharp amber.

Wet on skin: The honey comes out a bit and then it goes in to a powdery phase.

Dry: The vanilla comes out and is wonderful with the amber. Just a touch of powder is left .

Overall: This is one of the sexiest sents ever on me. I just put it on and feel instantly beautiful.

On me: honey and sex. Tumbled sheets in the afternoon. Oh my goodness, made me blush.

Daughter (just 21, and lush thing she is) sniffed the imp and was all "I want this, I want it!"

So I gave it to her. On her--honeyed almonds and sex. She reported later that she applied some at 2 in the afternoon and at dawn the next day it was still strong and sexy. She's hooked.

When I first put this on, I was a little worried. It had such a strong cloying pungent sweetness I almost washed it off. Boy am I glad I didn't. It's dried down into such a luxuriously delicious scent. Like rolling around in red silk bedsheets after great sex. I just want to curl up and purr. I probably should not wear this to work.

I always thought that honey was atrocious on me, after some bad experiences with Dana O'Shee and Sudha Segara which both smelled strongly of honey in the imp and turned to rancid horribleness on my skin. Apparently, it's the milk that does that, because O is the most glorious sweet honey-tastic vanilla YUM that I've ever tried. And man does it have staying power. I wore it a month ago when I wore my jacket with the cotton rib-knit high collar, and that jacket still smells like O's particular kind of intoxicating gloriousness. I want to drown in this one day, and it'd be the sexiest best-smelling death ever. It makes me want to eat myself because I'd hopefully taste as delicious as this smells. It makes me feel sexy and gorgeous, like some kind of goddess. I hope I never run out, and that my ordered bottle gets here before I manage to completely drain my imp.

In the imp: All honey, all the time.

Wet on skin: Honey, with a sharpness that intrigues, that gets your attention. Don't get the vanilla quite yet.

Dry: Powder, warm, yummy, bit'o'honey left over, vanilla comes and goes. You pretty much want to eat yourself. Or... have someone do it for you.

HOWEVER ( and I state this carefully after many test-trials) for my money, I'll go with La Petite Mort.

Do I dislike O?

HECK NO! I still have remnants of it on my black leather jacket and I sniff the collar as I drive to work.

But if I had to pick..... would be La Petite Mort.

Edited by EauQue

In the vial: Sweet honey. To me this is more innocent then alluring. Smells wonderful!

Wet: Yep almost pure honey to me. Which is not a bad thing.

Dry: Ah so that is what Amber smells like! Getting the amber and the honey but no vanilla.

30 mins later: Kind of powdery and clean smelling. Smells comforting but not really sexual.

Hour later: Did I say this didnt smell sexual! I take it all back. The powder smell passes and im finally getting the vanilla in a very small dose. The amber and honey have blended into a very alluring scent. I didnt know it was possible, but its stronger now then when I first applied it.

Closing thoughts: To me O went on its own sexual journey on my skin. From lovely sweetness, to powdery innocence, to utter sexuality. An hour and a half later, it smells like I just had a romp in bed where one of us whipped out the honey. Sooner or later, I will get a 5 ML of this.

in bottle:

yes it's sexy - musky roses? With incense?

wet:

I wasn't sure what amber smelt like, but this seems to fit the description perfectly. A sexy scent, very seductive but not in your face

dry:

more of the same! I do like it a lot, but it would be worn more when on the prowl for the way it makes me feel sexy.

Overall:

A keeper!

rating: 9/10

Edited by HennaFairy

I swapped for this one, because I was intrigued to try something that is such a popular scent.

Alas, it doesn't seem to work on me. The amber and vanilla are wonderful, but the honey smells like sweet plastic and takes over. Too bad.

Hmmm. I could swear this is a honey single note. For some reason, the amber and vanilla are not coming out on me at all. It's just honey. That's not bad, I like honey. I do however like my scents a bit more complex than this. So I'm not sure what I'll do with it. I just got it today, so I may have to wear it a few more times to be sure. Nice, but definitely not "O" worthy yet unless it changes dramatically on me overnight.

preconceived notions: Well, sexy, I suppose. I know this one is way popular (14 pages of reviews! what else can I add?) but I suspect it'll be too heavy for me.

in the vial: This is totally bizarro but I smell sweetness, almost fruit. The amber maybe? Also a bit of darker vanilla.

wet: Vanilla all the way.

dry: There's a (blessedly short) minute when it smells like plastic, then it goes back to powdery vanilla. Kind of soft and warm.

season: winter

office-friendly? yep.

overall: Pretty good, didn't bowl me over though. This smells more comforting than sexy, like cuddling into a soft sweater.

I am sorry, but O did not do anything for me.

I could smell the honey alternating with something medicinal; amber and musk in Haunted and Fallen are good with my skin, so it may have been the vanilla not liking me. It was not unpleasant, but..."This is what everyone is waxing rapturous about? This?" The musk scents mentioned above work way better for my sexy feeling, especially in wrist vs. wrist contrast.

I swapped it away. Bye bye O, find your lover in other places.

I was actually expecting something wicked and sexual and something that, as many others have commented, smells of orgasm or sex. My friend said on her it smells like sex and candy. On me, I don't smell anything except the candy, so I'm sad.

From the vial, this is a sweet, vanilla honey scent. On my skin it is, at first, warming up a touch so that the honey is the top note, with what I come to recognise as amber behind it. The honey soon picks up and becomes sharper, while still sweet, on me. Instead of sex, this ends up smelling very much like Snake Oil: there are differences (where O is light and sharp, Snake Oil is dark and smooth) but to tell the truth they both end up smelling like pink musk sticks on me! So sweet and sugary and yummy, even if it's not what I was expecting.

Edited by kunoichi

It smells really great on me, and I could not stop sniffing my wrist.

However, this makes me a little too horny. I don't have a boyfriend and dont want to get myself into trouble...but damn this is good. I need something that has this effect on men, but less of it on me.

Imp sniff: Oh my… honey and amber and a whisp of vanilla? Yes, master.

First on skin: O goes on the skin with a powerful honey kick, softened at the edges with vanilla. The amber is there, but takes a back-seat role.

A little later: After a while, the amber does come out. The scent is lucious, sweet and sexy without being overpowering. It is delicious and very, very pretty. A girly scent without being childish - unashamedly feminine and delicate.

An hour later: The sweet gorgeosness of it matures to a discracting sex and candy smell. It is the scent of sensual abandon; a very non-threatening, yet sexually charged smell. I am inclined to say that it is not really a 'girly' smell, because it is not all that innocent, and yet it is not a predatory, wanton smell. I love it.

Many hours later: It doesn't seem to have a huge staying power, but reapplication increases its skin life a great deal. Yummy.

Verdict: This is very much a sex and candy smell. I am always a little self-conscious when I wear it, because I feel like I smell like I've just been ravished. That being said, though, I love O and rushed to get a 5mL of it as soon as I could.

In the bottle: Almost a single note vanilla. And I love vanilla.

Wet: ICK! What happened? I don't like this at all... the vanilla has disappeared, and something unpleasant has taken its place.

a little later: The unpleasantness is gone, but so is the vanilla. I can only assume that's amber I'm smelling, and I'm not thrilled with it.

Drydown: It's not changing. Boo! I wanted to love this one.