Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Lick It Like You Mean It

Every holiday season should be full of lewd suggestions and filthy double entendres, right? Lick it in earnest! Lick it with vigor! Peppermint candy cane with an extra jolt of sugar.

LICK IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT

In Bottle: Sweet peppermint

On Skin: Peppermint love. I mean this is soooo yummy! It is similar to previous versions but a bit sweeter this year. I also get a bit of skin musk under it all, warming it up and making me really want to lean in and inhale it. The peppermint nicely clears the sinuses while the sugar keeps it from being too sharp. This is the perfect festive scent, gorgeous for the holidays. It’s very subtle and soft, nothing harsh or overwhelming. It has a very light throw and short to average wearlength.

immediately after application, it is very cool and minty -- but within ten minutes the sugar underneath it warms up blends with the initial blast of peppermint.

I absolutely adore this one. very sweet -- sugary-warm and minty-cool at the same time.

Holy mother of pearl, Batman, this is one of Thee Most Delicious Smells Ever! While in the bottle and wet on skin, this is the creamiest vanilla peppermint candy cane. LUSCIOUS.

As it dries down, however, the peppermint mostly fades and leaves a gorgeous vanilla-sugar with the occasional last gasp of peppermint.

Far drydown is sugared vanilla. Peppermint can't survive me, I guess. While still beautiful, delicious, and exquisite, LILYMI is missing its peppermint counterpart.

Reapply often for the minty effect. I'm going to try it in my scent locket to see if the peppermint will last (I'll edit this post if it makes a significant difference; if it does... well, I've been moaning about how the Canadian dollar has dropped so low lately, but I might break into my Paypal account just one more time (*gulp* ha!) just for a backup bottle of this blend. Because. I fricking. Love. Peppermint.).

3.5/5, points removed only for the peppermint's inability to keep on workin' it.

Edit, as promised: The scent locket preserves the peppermint a little more, but not like crazy; the vanilla and sugar are really the heart of this perfume. Also, this oil doesn't last very long, even in the scent locket (although it's more lasting than on skin, of course).

Still fricking love this perfume!

Edited by obsidienne

I have to laugh becuse I've been calling this "Lick it one more time" whenever I refer to it, and I think that was last year's. Oh well, here is my review:

In the bottle: Pure Peppermint yum.

Wet on skin: Sugary candy canes. There's really not much more I can say because that is what it is. Perfectly!

Drydown: It gets a little creamier but it's still peppermint candy. Kinda vanilla-ish. I love it!

Overall: It's a bit strange smelling like a candy cane, but I adore it. It makes me so happy! One of my favorite Yules this year. I can also see this being very refreshing in the summer, when it's too hot for anything heavy. So glad I bought a bottle.

imp/wet & dry: sugary candy cane explosion!

I have to say I don't get any vanilla (thankfully) just straight up sugary mintiness.

delicious

I can't really add much here but this is exactly what you expect. Pure candy cane.

My skin sucks this up just as fast as the Eggnog 2007.

Like others have said, this version of LICK IT is very similar to Lick It Again. Much sweeter than Lick It One More Time, far less peppermint as well. I didn't get the tingling that I did with LIOMT. The only odd thing I have with LILYMI is that, for some reason, after a few hours, I start to smell cardboard. :P

holy moly it's tingling as hell :D that's no fun, I love the scent!

my firend tried it on aswell and she has no problems at all, but dislikes the smell..

it's weird, it doesn't feel right at all, this is the first BPAL I'm allergic to I guess :P

but it is true candycane, very minty, also very very sugary :D

Edited by lunaticana

I can't believe I get to try this!

Wet: Y HELLO THAR PEPPERMINT

Before trying I was worried that this might go in the direction of toothpaste, but on the skin it smells exactly like peppermint hard candies. I can picture the way they shatter when you bite down on them, and my mouth is watering.

A strong and sugary mint, like it says!

Oddly this isn't too sharp and "clean" either... there's a hint of smooth and enticing warmth to it, and other reviews say there might be some vanilla or skin musk in it? I think I agree. :P

Win.

Lick It Like You Mean It

In the imp: very similar to other Lick It scents, peppermint with sugary undertones.

Wet on skin: fresh, cool, head-clearing mint.

Dry on skin: very similar to the other Lick Its. This reminds me less of candy canes and more of Polo Mints, it’s got that powdery-chalky undertone to it (which is pleasant here) and that intense white mint scent. Though I think I smell a little more vanilla here than in Lick It and Lick It Again.

After a while: ah, this is lovely. It’s a soft gentle vanilla. Not as white-musky as Lick It Again, I’d say this version is very close to original Lick It! The vanilla actually reminds me of Midway, and I love that. So this, to me, is minty Midway without the donut notes. I love that!

Verdict: this is very similar to my favourite in the Lick It series-the original from 05. it smells of the pure, sweet, hard peppermint sweetness I loved in Lick It, and dries down to a similar soft vanilla. Though this one has less of the cool vanilla musk, and has a much sweeter, slightly more gourmand (but not too much-this is subtler than Snowblind) vanilla, and it’s the perfect foody vanilla because it smells just like birthday cake. I love that cake smell. The only other place I’ve encountered this particular vanilla note is in the resurrected Midway. So this is the vanilla drydown of Midway with mint added. Definitely a winner. I was disappointed in last year’s Lick It One More Time, but this more than makes up for it. The only disappointment is that the mint isn’t as strongly tingly as previous versions, it doesn’t cool the skin as much. Though that may depend on weather, and whether I’ve just showered, I suppose…

Emoticon rating: :yum:

Is it a keeper? yes!

If you like this, try: other Lick It scents, Snowblind, Tokyo Stomp, Incubus, Midway (especially Resurrected)

I love and hoard the original Lick It, but all of the later versions have been a disappointment on me. Lick It Again was sharp peppermint and menthol on me and Lick It One More Time was peppermint listerine and dirty ash tray.

Lick It Like You Mean It still isn't as good as the original Lick It, but it's thankfully not as bad as the other two versions. This starts off kind of sharp on me, like candy canes and peppermint mouth wash. The drydown is lovely, though. It's mostly vanilla on me, but a frosty, hard candy sort of vanilla.

This only lasts about two hours on my skin, but it's a nice scent. I'd say it's the closest to the original Lick It when first applied, and then the very vanilla drydown is unique and quite pretty.

I have a partial bottle of this one, and that's probably enough for me.

In bottle: vanilla peppermint

Wet on skin: peppermint goodness

Dry on skin: peppermint, with a hint of vanilla sugar

10 minutes later: the same

I like this. Glad I got a bottle sight unsniffed. :) And it got a friend of mine totally hooked, so double yay!

In decant: Peppermints coated with sugar! Creamier than a candy cane, though... It mostly reminds me of those after-dinner mints that melt in your mouth. YUM!

Wet on skin: Just like in the decant! Sweet, minty, and creamy! SUPER yummy!

Dry on skin: No change in scent at all (yay!), but seems to have a cooling effect that fades to gradual warming. It's like a delicious remedy! I'm glad I picked-up a bottle at Will Call back in December!!! :)

In the imp: Bright, sweet mint, a little scotch-tape-y.

Fresh on the skin: Bright, sweet mint! Maybe a little ozone-bitter, a little artificial.

15 minutes later: Is it me that's bitter, or Yule?

20 minutes later: Ow! Hey! That burns! Very cold! It feels... kind of good? But it burns! I'm so conflicted.

30 minutes later: Still kinda burning, but a little sharp, a little artificial, sweet and minty, yet bitter.

1 hour later: Ozone-y mint. Not my thing.

3 hours later: Yup, ozone-y mint, light and sweet.

5 hours later: The ozone is overtaking the mint. Alas. Saving grace, at least it's fairly light by now.

6 hours later: The scotch-tape scent is kind of back. Neh.

7 hours later: Hello, sweet, sweet ozone. The inside of my elbow is going to smell like this forever, isn't it.

8 hours later: Oh, fading a little.

Verdict: I like mint, but for whatever reason this just doesn't work on me. Perhaps my skin likes to amp ozone too much.

One word: Ozone-mint.

It starts out super minty and cold. After drydown, it morphs into something just sweet. The mint is gone and I think I am left with vanilla sugar. It's not a bad thing but not what I hoped for. I do have the other Lick It offerings from past years- will have to see what those do.

Initially applied, this scent is pure peppermint with some softness--maybe vanilla--underneath. Drying down, the peppermint is still there, but something less pleasant emerges--something plasticky and burnt-smelling. Or maybe burnt plastic.

Yes, around the half-hour mark, this turns into a scorched plasticky-smelling scent, with oddly some sweet peppermint lingering around the outside edges, and it dries down through several weird plasticky-sweet stages, ending up smelling a bit like candy-scented plastic in its endstage.

I think it's safe to say that something in here doesn't like my skin chemistry--this went appallingly bad and stayed so. However, since I liked the scent when it was far away from my skin, I may try it in a locket.

Recaplet: Scorched peppermint candy plastic (eeek!).

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.)

Color impression: Pale green and white stripes.

Wet: Exactly like a candy cane: sweet and pepperminty.

Dry: Mint fades a lot, but is still present.

Overall: A surprisingly wearable scent, good for winter but pleasant any day. A favourite.

The oil is perfectly clear and runs like water.

Smells like in this order: vanilla, sugar, mint, plastic from the shrink wrap. Good, interesting, but not something I'd wear all the time, since I am neither a candy-cane person nor a minty person. A good scent, though, and I'm sure I'll use up my tester.

...Then again, the longer I wear this the more I like it. It's very wearable. Refreshing, familiar...hmm. May need to invest in a full imp after all. 8D <---sign of the crazy bpal collector. It stays on as a soft skin scent for more than eighteen hours. However if I want others to smell this I'll need to reapply every five hours or so, and I really do want that.

ETA: Must Find Bottle! I really like this one for the vanilla-y musk and the lightness of the mint, and the other ones seem too minty for me.

Origin: Generous freebie decant sent with another perfume I purchased from a fellow fragrance fan

Initial Thoughts: The original Lick It is one of my favorite BPAL scents ever and I hoard the three bottles I have and use it sparingly when only mint will do. I tried decants of the next two versions, but Lick It Again went plastic-y on me and Lick It One More Time was OK but not as pretty as the first on my skin. I hadn't bothered ordering this one, but since it's dropped into my lap...

In the Vial: Very cool, crisp mint with an undertone of sugar. Where Lick It reminds me of a pure candy cane, this one makes me think of a candy cane that's been frozen in an icicle. There's an extra chill to it.

Wet: The "chill" factor goes away, leaving the very crisp sharp mint and the very sweet sugar to mingle happily. So far, so good.

Drydown: Hmm. It calms down to a sweeter mint like the others tend to do on me, but I may be getting that plastic-y thing again. I'm not quite sure if I'm really smelling it or just imagining it; if it's happening, it's not happening as badly as in the Lick It Again.

Verdict: Cautiously optimistic. I'll probably test it side-by-side with my Lick It to clear up whether the plastic thing is real or in my head.

Very minty. Like a candy cane, or mint gum. Nothing much more to say, it's a very "simple" scent that reminds me very much of candy canes.

Lick It Like You Mean It

This is pretty much the same as the original Lick It, IMO. Mint and sugar and vanilla. It's very similar to Tokyo Stomp, except I don't get the buttery "graham cracker" vibe from Lick It LYMI--this is just straight-up candy cane.

It's cool peppermint, vanilla, and sugar. It smells chilly and sweeter and creamier than a candy cane. Dry the vanilla and sugar dominate the scent with a bit of peppermint.

In bottle: Peppermint with slight “dusty” undertone

On me, wet: Yup, that’s a candy cane all right. Sinus-clearing, creamy-sweet peppermint.

On me, dry: The vaporous sharpness of the peppermint subsides, leaving creamy vanilla mint. It’s nice.

Verdict: Keeper! Will make a nice festive scent at Christmas time.

Very sugary mint. It really captures the hardness or crispness of a candy cane. It dries down to something more musky/vanilla based. I'm not sure how to describe this phase though - there's something about it that reminds me of a biscuit or cereal, but not in a grainy way. There's just a certain warmth about it. My skin tends to drink this up, sadly, but I'm glad I have a bottle anyway.