Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
clephan

How long do bottles & imps last?

Where can I get a bottle of a carrier/diluted oil or whatever to make a rolly out of red lantern with? Does such a thing exist?

Check out the Beyond Perfume section of the BPAL Chatter forum if you haven't already. There are a few pinned threads with all sorts of discussion on methods, retailers, and etc for making roller bottles (& pretty much anything else you could want to do with your oils). :P

Where can I get a bottle of a carrier/diluted oil or whatever to make a rolly out of red lantern with? Does such a thing exist?

Check out the Beyond Perfume section of the BPAL Chatter forum if you haven't already. There are a few pinned threads with all sorts of discussion on methods, retailers, and etc for making roller bottles (& pretty much anything else you could want to do with your oils). :D

I'll go check it out, thanks :P

This is more of a bottle issue than an oil issue. I have a colbalt bottle of Psyche that I received in a swap so it's of indeterminate age, but I think pre-2006. Every time I apply from the rim, I get little flecks of black--I think the oil is breaking down the plastic in the cap. I have colbalt bottles of Regan, Blood Moon and Harvest Moon 05 and don't have this issue with any of them. I have wand caps on Blood Moon and Harvest Moon. Should I switch Psyche to a wand cap, or is this a sign of the end times for my oil?

Edited by paperrose

This is more of a bottle issue than an oil issue. I have a colbalt bottle of Psyche that I received in a swap so it's of indeterminate age, but I think pre-2006. Every time I apply from the rim, I get little flecks of black--I think the oil is breaking down the plastic in the cap. I have colbalt bottles of Regan, Blood Moon and Harvest Moon 05 and don't have this issue with any of them. I have wand caps on Blood Moon and Harvest Moon. Should I switch Psyche to a wand cap, or is this a sign of the end times for my oil?

I've never heard of that happening, but I'd think it would be wise to switch to a wand cap if you have one spare! If the oil still smells OK to you it's probably fine to keep wearing it, I'm guessing it's just the cap that is gradually deteriorating after being in contact with the oil for too long. Maybe Psyche is more corrosive than your other oils due to, uh, lavender? Your guess is as good as mine. :P

I have not managed to use an entire imp yet. I have an imp of Hungry Ghost Moon that was about half an imp when I got it. I still have a good bit of it left. I usually just apply to my wrists and neck.

I've never been a slatherer, but I've become the anti-slatherer. I don't know what's changed, but a little goes a long way on my skin lately. I shouldn't complain, but these 5mls will go rancid years before I finish them at this rate!

For me, my imps last a good ten or twelve 'wears' from lab fresh - and thus probably my bottles at least fifty. I do apply generously, but I don't exactly pour it all over myself either.

I have a bit of a confession to make... I've been into BPAL for about the last 12 to 16 months, and I've never actually finished an even an imp of anything (although I did once tip an entire imp of Bengal into the bath once, if that counts as finishing something :D ). I'm so not a slatherer. I'll apply oils probably twice a day, but nothing seems to be really getting used up :P . I suppose it's not such a bad thing as I always have my favourites on hand, but even then, I still stress about running out of stuff.

I (now) usually do wrists, neck, and cleavage, and have only managed to finish one imp off so far. I estimate maybe 12-20 applications from an imp, and by extrapolation 60-100 applications from a bottle.

Hmm. Methinks I need to be less worried about running out. Ever. *eyes growing collection*

I found I apply with a more generous hand from bottles then I do imps. I don't know if it's because it's bigger and I think "I have more of it, can use more" or what, but I've dented one of my bottles of cheshire moon pretty well, yet the imp I have of it still is around 1/4 full! And I use the imp more then I do the bottle!

How much oil do you apply from imps? I find it hard to apply a lot from the imps because the stick is so small. So I feel like Im not applying it enough because I cant really smell it on me.

I found some imps that I've had since late 2004. :P They were misplaced when I moved a few years ago. Several of them have a dusty/musty smell that causes me to think they've distorted with age. I found an imp of Oneiroi, which I used to love. The imp doesn't smell that great to me today, which reinforces my theory that they've gone bad. What do you think? Are they "expired"? Is there any point in keeping them after this long? My current plan is to re-order fresh imps of the scents which still smell good.

wow I don't remember how long I've been into bpal, maybe 2006? I still haven't finished even a imp either. I have so many perfumes though, not just bpal, I'm obsessed with scent, I need ot start slathering. I wonder if mixing the oils with alcohol to make sprays would make them last longer?

Don't ask me how long they last. :P I use them quickly for I have a problem with my body chemistry holding the scent. I did notice they usually last longer if I really rub them into my skin so that they penetrate deeply.

I've never used up an imp. :P For bottles I plan to keep, I just put my wrist over the mouth and tip the bottle up, then rub onto my other wrist, hair, whatever. So, if I were to use one scent a lot, I guess I might go through it very fast...I switch too often though.

I do have the same problem as ghoulie - I found an old imp of Glitter, eagerly applied a bit, stuck my wrist under my nose and...nothing. It was almost like an unscented oil.

Perhaps I'll bring this thread to life again XD

I've never experienced any of my oils going "bad", and most of mine were bought from other forumites (I assume already aged), the oldest I have are from the lab from 2009... but now that I've found this thread I worry that maybe some of mine are bad and I don't even know it? :cry2:

Thoughts?

I have plenty of bottles from 2004 and 2005 that are not only still fine, but better than ever (I tend to like spice/resin-heavy blends, which seem to age better). But unless something smells off, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's bad, you'd know it as soon as you sniffed it!

I've been into perfume oils for about two years now, and I haven't used up a single 5 ml yet. I have a big collection and I don't usually wear the same thing more than once or twice a week.

Some aromatic oils and resins do have natural preservative properties (think Ancient Egyptian embalming unguent), so it'd make sense that perfume would keep well. I personally worry more about whether my light top-heavy citrusy blends are going to age into something I don't like as much before I've made a decent dent in the bottles than I do about anything in my stash spoiling or going rancid.

My first BPAL order arrived in October (the 10th, to be exact), and I am yet to use up an imp! I have bottles of my favourite scents already, but I'm happy to let them age up a bit while I use the imps (well, except for that one imp I lost, thusly use the bottle to death).

As for oil lifespan, mine are all fine, even that bottle I accidentally got warm in my handbag last weekend.

Edited by Fuhrankie

If something was bad, trust me, you would know it.

I use up bottles with glee and abandon, I have a pile of empties, but that said, I have stuff that is old old old, and still fine. Sometimes better.

I don't really like imps except for testing. I like to pour right from the bottle with afore mentioned glee and abandon.

Edited by stellamaris

I just re-tested an imp of Against Idleness and Mischief from my first order in 2011. It's lovely. :wub2: I've only used up three imps (one spilled) and not a single bottle since I started buying in 2011.. I barely dab.

Edited by ioleda

I've had my 5ML for about a year and a half and I have about 1/4th of it left. I'm not sure if it smells just like it did when first opened, but it still smells phenomenal.

I don't know how long it lasts in terms of how long it takes to go bad, but when it comes to finishing a bottle it takes me a very long time.

For imps, if it's one I really like it might last me between 2 months or 2 years, depending on the scent. For weaker scents I tend to need to apply them more but I also like stronger scents so I rarely use them as often as I do others. If it's one I like, my shortest time using up an imp was about a couple of months. I usually just dab some on my wrists and neck, and sometimes behind my ears, but how much I use on each application I couldn't begin to say -- I just do that until it feels "right", so again, strongers scents end up lasting longer for me.

(Actually, the fastest I've used up imps has been less than 2 months, but that was when I mixed it with my conditioner or used them as room fragrance, so it doesn't count.)

I don't have a lot of bottles but the oldest I have is about 2 years old and it's still going strong, but since it's a LE I wouldn't class it as something I use every single day.

My oldest bottle is a bottle of Dracul in the cobalt bottle from my first BPAL order in February 2006. I didn't love the scent as much as I had expected, so it's lasted me a lot longer than a typical bottle would. I still have about 1/2 bottle left, but as it has aged it has gotten more beautiful. I've never had a bottle go bad, and I still have a bunch of bottles from 2006-2007, all the way up to the present. However, I tend to buy incense, resins, musk, and patchouli blends so they all typicallly age well. My original bottles of F5 and Gemini haven't really morphed much either, although scents with a touch of mint or citrus tend to lose those notes first.

If you store your perfume oils carefully and watch how you apply so you are keeping the application and bottle surfaces clean, they can last for many years.

I don't buy imps and rarely buy decants of LE's, so mine are mostly frimps and they are building up like crazy. Once in a while I go through them and randomly slather one up in a couple of uses, or dump several into the bathwater. But that's for the "decadence" thread. Hmm, maybe I should dig around and resurrect that one.:D