Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
friendthegirl

Allergy Questions, Allergies and other reactions to oils

well i get spot allergies from diffrent scents and some detergents , last night i put danna o'shee on my wrists and neck, a few hours later i went to bed .when i woke i found red ichy pachs on my neck, none on my wrist. so i put some goldbond powder on them but i have to get some benadryl cream , so i can clear this up , note to myself no putting scent on my neck .

This happens to me a lot too, right out of the shower. I'm not sure it's because the skin is damp....probably because your pores are all open when you are in a warm environment.

I get a red burning rash every single time when I use Rakshasa, but I refuse not to wear it, because I love it.

To address a few points from the last page or so...

I definitely notice more overall sensitivity if I've just gotten out of the shower. Samhain, for example, is fine when I am thoroughly dry, but definitely ouchy if I put it on while my skin is still damp.

i can't tell if i am having just general allergies or bpal allergies. i got an order of imps on monday, and have been trying them, sometimes 2 at a time on separate wrists, and my allergies have been bad since monday! i didn't realize till TODAY that maybe it's a bpal thing. i really hope not though :P

i haven't had any direct skin allergy. i've just had a slightly sore throat, itchy nose, and sneezing. i had similar allergy problems in high school, but haven't had them for a long time. i live in san francisco now, and hardly ever have allergy attacks. when i do, they usually don't last this long.

today i am wearing zombi and my nose is itchy and i keep sneezing.

i guess i'll just have to wait a few days, not wear any, and see if it goes away, and if it does, then i'll have to go through all my new imps, one by one and find out who the culprit is.

it could be the zombi i'm wearing, but last night i felt sneezy too, and was wearing wanda on one arm and perversion on the other. hmm.

Edited by theseagrows

I seem to have general around-the-neck irritation, but just like mentioned above, it's much worse after a shower. Probably that pore thing. I used to use a lot of Bath and Body Works Splashes after showering, and then BAM stinging pain of death around my neck.

A similar thing happened with me and Sybaris the other night, but elsewhere I was fine, so I'm thinking it was just oils on open pores. Also, spicier oils tend to do that to me more than not.

My friend has peanut allergies and eczema, but I was looking for a good perfume to get him (it'll last him the rest of his life, I'm certain - he only needs the one!) but I am concerned about nut extracts... versus nut meat. He can eat things cooked in peanut oil, oddly enough, but he can't touch anything with actual nutmeat. Hrrrrm.

And the culprit? Jailbait, of all things. It doesn't seem to have anything spicy or itch inducing in it to my nose... but of course, I would react to something with no notes listed.

Ivy, I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago! I'd never had problems with any of the oils (except Inferno, of course), and had even tried Jailbait on the week before with no problems, but I still got red, itchy blotches on my neck and wrists from wearing Jailbait for, oh, five minutes :P

There's no cinnamon or anything listed in the ingredients, but I remember that it smells a little cinnamony on the drydown and a few of the reviews seem to agree, so that might be it. I wouldn't mind except that I'm afraid to try Chimera now, since I'm positive it'll have more cinnamon than Jailbait and I'd rather avoid more reactions...

Sorry to hear that someone has joined me on the Jalibait bench!

Odd thing - I can still wear Chimera with no problems at all. The reason I can state this with such veracity is that last week, I was feeling tired and sinus-y, took a long hot bath, slathered up with lotion and then slopped on lots of Chimera because I wanted something comforting and I needed something I could really smell... and my dog ended up smelling like a big Chimera sugar cookie for days because he snuggled up to me in bed that night. I didn't have an itch, a welt, a bump or even a hint of one.

I didn't even think about the possibility of cinnamon in Jailbait (shows you what a solid sense of self preservation I have, huh? :P ) but it definitely does have a hint of something spicy now that you mention it.

Eventually I will e-mail customer service and ask about it, but with Beth on the mend and everyone working so frantically right now, it didn't seem of dire urgency to me.

When I put Chimera on my wrists, I have no reaction, but in the crook of my arm (i.e. inside elbow), it can often go all red and burny -- I guess just because the skin is so thin and sensitive there. So far that's the only one that's done that to me, but then, I haven't tried Inferno yet. :P It's not an allergic-type reaction, though -- no hives, itching or anything like that. Just irritation.

People often tend to assume that any reaction to something indicates that they're allergic to it, but in fact an allergy is a fairly specific type of reaction produced by a release of histamine in the body, and in the case of skin-contact allergic reactions, itchiness and hives are the usual symptoms. The sort of redness and burn that can be caused by cinnamon, pepper, ginger, and other hot-and-spicy scents is because they're actually mildly caustic, and sensitive skin can easily be irritated by them even if you have no allergies whatsoever. Especially if you've done anything to make the skin more sensitive, like exfoliating, shaving or taking a hot shower.

I love my Geek, but am afraid I'm allergic to it. I wore it on Friday and sneezed all day as if I was full of cold (and I was fine the next day, so clearly not ill). I tried sniffing it again just now and had another sneezing fit. It can't be the leather or patchouli, as I have other scents with those in, which leads me to wonder what else it could be. I hope it doesn't affect anything else I like!

I think I was in denial before, but I think I am allergic to Whitechapel. Everytime I put it on I start to sneeze and its like I have hay fever for 2 hours. Then the symptons stop for the rest of the day. I am so upset because I adore this scent. It is the only one that makes me sneeze and makes my eyes water. I wonder what could be triggering such a reaction?

Kabuki and Shub Niggurath are two oils that made my skin burn, but it wasn't anything major. Just a little stinging for a few minutes then I am all good...

Edited by slugbait

People often tend to assume that any reaction to something indicates that they're allergic to it, but in fact an allergy is a fairly specific type of reaction produced by a release of histamine in the body, and in the case of skin-contact allergic reactions, itchiness and hives are the usual symptoms. The sort of redness and burn that can be caused by cinnamon, pepper, ginger, and other hot-and-spicy scents is because they're actually mildly caustic, and sensitive skin can easily be irritated by them even if you have no allergies whatsoever. Especially if you've done anything to make the skin more sensitive, like exfoliating, shaving or taking a hot shower.

That's a really good point about allergies, especially when you think down the road to future reactions. Lots of us have had or will have an irritable, sensitive skin reaction to a product we like at one point - but in most cases it's still safe to use. You can dilute the spicy scents, wait a half hour after a shower to apply, always apply over lotion so there's a barrier, etc. But when you have a true allergic reaction you need to be more cautious. I don't think it means you are going to go into anaphlytic shock the next time you're exposed to that oil! But you can become more sensitive to an allergen over time (just as you can develop a tolerance for it). Bottom line: I'm still craving a bottle of Inferno, even though I could write messages on my body with it undiluted and watch them develop like a Polaroid :P but sadly, gotta stay away from the Jailbait from now on.

I love my Geek, but am afraid I'm allergic to it. I wore it on Friday and sneezed all day as if I was full of cold (and I was fine the next day, so clearly not ill). I tried sniffing it again just now and had another sneezing fit. It can't be the leather or patchouli, as I have other scents with those in, which leads me to wonder what else it could be. I hope it doesn't affect anything else I like!

could be Cinnamon Bark.

I'm fine with Cinnamon leaf, but Cinnamon bark gives me a rash.

anyone know which cinnamon blends are which?

could be Cinnamon Bark.

I'm fine with Cinnamon leaf, but Cinnamon bark gives me a rash.

anyone know which cinnamon blends are which?

Not for sure no, but I think my skin reacts similarly. Some blends with cinnamon are fine, others not:

Mercury & Inferno were violent!! Chimera is fine. Eclipse is dodgy but I can wear Three Witches. Gingerbread Poppet didn't make my skin react (only tried once as the smell isn't me), Harlot, Wrath & Sin are fine.

Several of the TAL oils sometimes cause a mild reaction if applied on my inner arms, I generally avoid applying anything I suspect contains cinnamon to the neck & cleavage.

No idea if my reactions are remotely consistent, but maybe if they match your findings they'll be of use.

ETA: Other oils that affected my skin (although I'm not sure that cinnamon is always the culprit):

All Night Long, Love Me, Ulalume, Alecto, Silk Road :P . That's all I can recall for now.

Edited by allamanda

Dang. Had my first reaction to an oil last night.

I was in an oil-trying frenzy and decided to test out Catherine. Yow. My palms started itching... and I'd put it on the back of my hand! Plus, the back of my hand starts turning red. Twenty minutes was all I could take, then I had to scrub it off. Another 20 minutes for the itching to go away.

I really do hope I'm not allergic to roses, because I'm trying to find a rose I actually like.

I'm starting to think my skin isn't made for BPAL. i'm allergic to just about every oil, well, maybe not allergic, but at least sensitive. I tried Elegba last night, and instantly fell in love.. it was a bit too strong, but i knew i would like it once it dried down. 2 hrs into applying, i felt the telltale warmth at my wrist, and went and washed it off with soap and water. the scent lingered.. lovely sugary sweetness that melded well with my chemistry. woke up the next day with an angry red wrist.

So far.. Perversion, Snake Charmer, Elegba, Bearded Lady, Chimera, Morocco MAYBE was starting.. possibly coconut is one? Though oils like Milk Moon, Snow White did not break me out (but i washed these off rather quickly ..) Dorian / Alice / Dragon's Milk I could wear day in and day out with no reaction.

Either way, i'm starting to think almost everything I try is going to break me out to some extent. It may not be allergies, it may just be that i am super sensitive and the strength of these oils just wreaks havoc with my skin. I don't know, either way i am heartbroken. i really love so many of the scents that cause trouble that i'm hoping to use them sparingly once in a while. I guess we'll see.

Received my second order of imps yesterday, and after a marathon sniffing spree of all 24 imps (I couldn't help myself!!  :P ) I decided to try Follow Me Boy first.  I applied it to wrist, neck and cleavage as I usually do, and then something strange happened.  YEOW!!  I barely got the imp closed before I was running to wash if off of my cleavage.  It burned like crazy, but only in that one spot.  Very strange.  Has anyone else ever had a burning sensation from any of the oils?  I tried doing a search on this subject without much luck.

Ack!!  I just wish I knew what notes are in "Follow Me Boy" so I could figure out what I might be sensitive to.  Ah, well.  At least I can still wear it on my wrist and neck, which is good, because it really is a lovely scent.  My unskilled nose is still trying to figure this beauty out before I review it.  :D

Tintagel made my skin burn and turn red--no itching or bumps. Interestingly, Follow Me Boy is just fine.

Tintagel made me ill and I quickly traded it off.

Lots of times I can wear a scent on my wrists, but not in my cleavage. That skin doesn't get the same level of exposure to the elements as other areas.

Almond is one that feels really wierdly painful on my skin. It's like the sharpest burn, not like cinnamon (which can burn but in a warm way that dies down quickly).

I love the smell of almond, and mostly it's quite minimal in a blend and doesn't hurt, but certain ones like Hecate and Eclipse are unwearable for me because of the searing pain.

Quite often, almond and cinnamon are together in a blend, so it's difficult to know which is the culprit, if not both.

Has anybody had a "general" reaction to BPAL? i'm starting to think that it's not that i'm allergic to the recent oils i've tried, my skin just can't take them. virtually every oil i've tried in the past few weeks has broken me out to some extent.. just little red bumps a few hours after applying. i know this didn't happen when i first started testing BPAL. i'm almost afraid to go slather on my old favorite, Dorian, set aside now while I work through a big pile of frimps from my first order, in case it breaks me out now also. i'll try that soon.. for now i'm nursing more bumps on my precious, infuriating left wrist. Maybe applying some kind of moisturizer before BPAL might work. i don't know! ><

I think- I hope I have the right thread for this. My question is about allergic responses to scent.

Some weeks ago, I tried R'lyeh on one wrist. It broke immediately into a burning red rash which has yet to fully heal. (It should be noted that, until this point, the only thing I've ever had an allergic response to has been- peculiarly enough- DayQuil.)

Yesterday, because I am a masochist, I tried it again, on an ankle. It worked like a charm- no rash, no burning, just fantabulous Evil Grapefruit that stayed vivid and slightly aquatic for about six hours. Yes, I did sit around sniffing my ankle. I know it's weird.

Question is, are people allergic to scents some of the time and fine at other times? Could it be a result of where on my body I stick the scent? I am very confused by the inconsistent response.

Edited by walkingundine

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one in private with my lover (the amazing Mr. Olympia) however, I suspect it could be where you apply certain oils. I can put Eclipse on my neck (tendre skin there) and get lovely red burning tracks from where I rolled it. Put it on the backs of my arms just fine.

Empirical evidence is difficult to refute.

Question is, are people allergic to scents some of the time and fine at other times? Could it be a result of where on my body I stick the scent? I am very confused by the inconsistent response.

I'm not an allergist (and I don't even play one on TV) but I would think that your reaction to R'lyeh was more a function of the delicacy of the skin on your wrists vs. the skin on your ankles. Did you have any minute abrasions on your wrist? The fact that it's taking so long to heal makes me think that may be a factor. Also, did you put R'lyeh on the same wrist as your watch? One time, I put Alice on my watch wrist and it reacted with the metallic band of my watch.

(I believe that there's an allergic reaction thread in the BPAL FAQ section.)

Edited by tempete

I've had that happen too. The skin is thin(nest?) at the wrist, so that's probably the most sensitive spot. Other places I've had trouble was the hollow of the throat and the crook of my elbows. Anyplace you can see veins (relatively) easily, basically. With me, it was Eclipse that did it first. :P

I'll chime in that ankle skin is probably a little tougher (even though it hurts like a U*(IAWRJKIJNHIFAE$WR to wax it). But another thing to keep in mind, although it doesn't sound like your problem here, is that skin is generally more sensitive right out of the shower. For example, I can't apply Samhain right when I dress. I have to wait 1/2 an hour or so.

Still, I'd be careful with the R'Lyeh: itchy/burny red splotchies are one thing; an actual RASH that has to heal is entirely another!

I'm not an allergist (and I don't even play one on TV) but I would think that your reaction to R'lyeh was more a function of the delicacy of the skin on your wrists vs. the skin on your ankles. Did you have any minute abrasions on your wrist? The fact that it's taking so long to heal makes me think that may be a factor. Also, did you put R'lyeh on the same wrist as your watch? One time, I put Alice on my watch wrist and it reacted with the metallic band of my watch.

(I believe that there's an allergic reaction thread in the BPAL FAQ section.)

Actually I don't wear a wristwatch... I like fidgeting with pocketwatches too much. There may hypothetically have been abrasions, but if there were any they weren't visible to my eye.