Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

DLV (no other reviews? Darn; I was really hoping for some help here): In the bottle, there's something sweet, kind of like orange cake. On me, there's still that vague orangy note, with something that smells sweet and...crumbly? I know that makes no sense. It's sort of a shortbread smell, but there's an almost rotten tinge to it. It might be the butter note going weird on me. There's a soapy floral hanging around at the back adding to the utter oddness of this blend.

DXXXV: Another sweet one! A hint of sweet creamy light vanilla in the bottle. This is *very* light -- a thin oil and a sweet light skin scent. It's a delicate floral, maybe lily or orchid, with a hint of spice at the back. This is really quite pleasant. Not quite my usual thing, and fainter than I'd prefer, but it means that this would make a great wear-to-the-office blend if I wanted to smell pretty but not annoy other people.

MCCXX: This is...odd. There's a bit of orange in the bottle, similar to DLV, and besides that I'm having trouble picking out individual notes. On me, it goes sweet (for the record, I should point out that my skin makes everything go sweet. Intentionally sweet scents whomp innocent passersby with Eau d'Bakery of Doom.)...maybe a light resin with a hint of vanilla and wood. Definitely some light skin musk. Maybe tea, as well. The sweetness dries down after a minute or two, and this is actually not unlike Dorian but much, much less sweet. It's a cozy, light, warm scent.

CCCXXIX (329)

Sweetly gorgeous! There's amber in here for sure. I detect violet too- that[s what's the most powerful while wet. Once it dries down, it is just sweet amber. LOVE

Previously reviewed by Aerinha.

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

CCCXXVII (327) : Orangey. It was compared to Fruit Stripe gum in the swap post (but no review!). It's a little powdery-orange, a mild orange. I think I smell something spicy underneath, though. Amber, maybe?

DCCXXVII (727) : Fruity. Berries? Sweet orange? Light musk? Pineapple? Pineapple. Tropical flowers? Then it's incensy-spicy... rosewood? incense?

DCCCXLV (845) :Originally reviewed by dpoulson21. Cantaloupe! With honeydew? This is wonderful. Very edible-smelling.

Edited by Gin

Decant: DCCXCVII: Wet, this is a dead ringer for root beer! Or maybe more sassafrass than root beer. When it dries down, it gets fizzy and citrussy, very clean smelling.

Previously reviewed by Valerie.

CCCXCV

A light, sweet floral in the bottle.

On my skin it's a sugary floral. I can't really pick out any of the notes.. it's sweet, but not in an overly candy way. Perhaps a bit fruity? Random florals.. yeah.. Better than I make it sound. :P

MCXXXIX: 1139. I'm terrible at picking out notes sometimes, and this one was hard for me. So, this will be a general summary. Plus, this is my first Chaos bottle EVER, so that doesn't help. Gotta get my nose on the up and up of detecting things.

Bottle: a sort of 'old' floral. Not spoiled, necessarily, but if flowers could age and still smell fresh, this would be it. Oh! Perhaps like potpourri? It does smell dry, thinking about it, and that comes across as old, but like the original scent of whatever composed the potpourri has been laid over to refresh it. Almost a bizarre mix of fake fresh and genuine dried flowers.

There's also a hint of something dusty? That may be the dryness really coming out, but it's also almost a smoke. I'm getting an image of potpourri scented incense, burning near a dried boquet of dark florals. Yes, the flowers are definitely dark. Maybe funereal.

Wet: OMG YOU GUIZE I SMELL LIKE MILDEW. I wish I were joking! I have never had anything do this to me. Now it smells like how a nice boquet has died and is rotting. Mostly mildew. Like dirty water that got into something and sat there. Blergh urgh ew.

Dry: Ech. The mildew is still there, and now it's like someone tried to wash it off and failed. There's a sort of chemical alcohol smell sitting under everything, but it's still so bitter and dirty.

Woe. Off to swaps. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

DCCCXXXVIII (837): Dunno if this has ever been reviewed.

This smells like amber, something floral, and slightly sweet. I even want to say that there's a trace of chocolate in there, but I see no dark oil. I also get a whiff of cardamom, possibly cassia.

I swear I've smelled this before..

ETA: I got it! This smells like Lush's Karma. Yup. Definitely Lush's Karma.

Edited by zankoku_zen

MCCCX: 1310

Definitely blackberry! It must me in mind of the Oblation, and I do believe there is peach in here, and possibly a touch of oakmoss. Oh man, I am loving this blackberry/peach intersection.

LOVING IT.

Previous review by fairnymph

Edited by zankoku_zen

DCCLXIII - 763

In the Decant: Indian spice blend and a hint of pink grapefruit

On My Skin: Indian spice blend (softer), pink grapefruit, and lime. After about an hour, it's almost pure cotton candy, with only hints of the other notes

I got a decant of this one as a frimp from flyingdutchman and I actually agree completely with this review. It starts off with this sort of soft and exotic spice backed by a fruitiness which I agree must be grapefruit. It's a really interesting blend in that the spice and grapefruit offer an odd but appealing contrast to one another. After it's been dry for a bit though, it goes really weird on me and the spice takes on a rather ... funky (for lack of a better word) tone and it goes a bit sour.

CCCXXII

Hmmm. This one is odd. On wet, its got a sweet amber like edge, but it dries to something slightly fruity and sweet. And then, on further drydown the amber really comes out, and I think the sweetness is coming from tonka, but it ends up in a sort of 'clean' smelling land. Unisex. Not unpleasant, but not my cup of tea.

Previously reviewed by fairnymph

wah. the number has rubbed off...all i can get is mlx...

either way, its like cinnamon florals....im in love...i bought this on a whim! :wub2: :thud: :boogie: :wub3: :lovestruck:

Its kind of like All Night Long but with more of a subtle, flowery-gardenia? - secondary tone. yaaay.

DCXII

Testable sniffie thanks to the lovely sunshinedaisybliss! :wub2:

This starts out clean with a hint of something slightly weird - like a baked bread note? The weird note immediately disappears and the scent ends up as a soapy floral, like a typical linen/cotton scent.

Along the lines of Dirty and Wensleydale.

Pleasant. Smells like I just got out of the shower. : -)

CCCLXVI

I am getting grapefruit. Tart wonderfully sour citrus. It turns sweeter as it dries. I think this one will be great for days when I need a pick me up.

CCCXIII

In the imp, definitely stems of freshly cut flowers. Very green. Almost grassy.

Drying down, I detect a sweetness, half floral and half fruity in nature. Interesting. Complex.

Chaos theory #28....

Lemon with hints of coconut and rum. :yum: This blends beautifully on my skin...it just makes me a little itchy. :eek:

CCCXV (315)

I think this one is very similar to 316, as it's a bright juicy floral - I think it has gardenia, pikaki and ginger, and possibly some cedar. As it dries, I've gotten more of the pencil shavings scent underneath all of the heady florals.

Not my style at all.

CDLXXXI – 481

I tried looking through the posts to see if other people had reviewed this … I am terrible with notes but when I open this, it smells like leafy green pumpkin pie. I don’t like it at all. Very warm, but sickly sweet.

CMII (902)

Pale yellow oil. Foody. Creamy milk chocolate with a hint of lemon.

The lemon's stronger, and it's juicy enough that I think it's actual lemon, not verbena. The milk chocolate is extremely creamy and rich, but not too sweet, and a sort of darker, high cocoa content milk chocolate, or dark chocolate mixed with cream. It reminds me a lot of Candy Butcher + lemon.

No morphing, though this amps on me greatly overall as a scent. The chocolate note sweetens and becomes a little richer - it's super creamy and quite foody indeed. Unfortunately, it starts to go to that sort of nutty-rancid plastic cloying nastiness that the lab's milk chocolate invetably turns to. It's a shame because the lemon note is lovely, almost sparkling - I think there is maybe some other citrus in here too as well as a soda note.

This goes oddly musky on me, as well as quite musty (like baked goods scents) and strongly rancid-nutty, over lemon-lime soda with maybe a wedge of candied lemon peel. It's basically Candy Butcher with a dash of Independent and a bit more candied lemon. Very unique, but I don't do this sort of chocolate. Strong throw but it fades quite substantially.

Previously reviewed by myth.

Edited by fairnymph

CT4: CMV: It definately smells like bubblegum in the bottle, aquatic so. Reminds me of the old cough syrups I used to eat as a kid (or was forced to it). I almost gagged a little but whatever it smells in the bottle definitely different on the skin and by jolly does it morph! As soon as it hits the skin there's sandalwood, a bit of woods in the background with some patchouli. It reminds me of Hemlock and Seraphim without the rose in the background. Well there might be some rose in the background, almost akind to Parlement of Foules. That's what it's reminding me of, a dead ringer for Parlement of Foules or Seraphim! Thanks for the Karma Swap Lamia For this bottle! It sticks close to the skin. I believe there is some type of rose in there it's making me a bit dizzy but not too bad. There may be myrrh and frankincense. As it dries, there is a sweet hay like smell to it and the caramelizes of the tonka. It almost reminds me of a heavy myrrh and sweet tombstone; it's really nice.

Edited by Deiicide

Number has rubbed off completely.

This is one is such an interesting blend. On wet, there is a GIANT hit of juicy red grapefruit. It's sweet pink grapefruit. It's gone after maybe two minutes, except for this ever lingering grapefruit tinge that lasts into the drydown. For the next fifteen minutes it reminds me to orange blossoms (citrus + light florals) and it dries to what I can only consider pink sugar. My skin literally eats this one up. Low throw and wear length. I mean two hours later and its GONE.

I think I will have to retest this one again and I do wish that the grapefruit had lasted longer though.

CCXII (212): (aka Grape Bubilicious)

Bottle : OMG Grape! Bublicious grape gum, there is no mistaking that. I used to sneak out the back gate in Jr. High to buy bubilicious from the ice cream man. Rebel, I know.

Skin: Uh-oh, it doesnt smell like much of anything. Dusty, resiny but faint whatever and its only gone from bottle to skin in this instant...and *POOF* I even reapplied in case it wasn't enough or some how my oil glistening skin hadn't gotten any. HUGE disappointment, esp. since I was all hyped for grape since I live in a nearly articial grape-less world these days.

Dry: Hey what's that? Someone brought my gum back!! Faded and not as 'stab you in the nose with a spear' as the bottle, but this is that light whimsical grape smell from after you have been chewing fora while. Wonder if it will turn my tongue purple. *happy dance* Sure no one in their right mind wants to smell like grape bublicious, but you know what? I am not in my right mind, and this is my kinda scent :) (if I could just figure out where it went before).

DCCCXXX (aka Hawaiian Punch)

Not sure how, but looks like I never reviewed this one. Might as well now.

Bottle: HawaiianPunch - scratchy mixed fruit scent.

Wet: Same as bottle but my $£%£$"£ skin starts amping the lemon. So its a little pledgy

Dry: Lemon backs off a step and its juicy but dry punch. No minute maid fruit punch (which I admit I hoard in my freezer since it doesnt exist over here)

but the little hawian punch guy would be proud. :)

CCCLVII

My first EVER chaos review. I was generously frimped this recently, and for my first one I am swoooooning. What a bummer, I probably wont be able to find more of this!

In the imp this a resin lemon cake. Sounds strange huh? Its soft and bull bodied and completely rooted. I love that the lemon is firmly put in place by the creamy bakery goodness... whatever that may be.

Wet on my skin this has morphed into underpants and bigger critters love child! Still with that slight lemon zing! But it's not citrusy and it is not fruity... as such.

Drying down this is a gentle resin, creamy, saffron bakery scent. It actually makes me think of a very grown up and not so deranged lovestruck teen cannibal. It's earthy, rooted and well balanced. Still with that slight zingy kick, but it's not outwardly lemony.

CMXXXIV (934)

On wet: I get a big hit of lemon, and as it starts off, it's actually more of tangerine feel. In fact I'd say there's tangerine in it, possibly of the satsuma variety.

It definitely dried to something herbal and yes, faintly reminiscent to baby wipes, so I am guess there is at least aloe in there.

It has dried to something powdery, faint, and... hmmm. just... clean?

Previously reviewed by Terrenity