Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

MCCCLI (1351)

This was my second and last Chaos bottle. If it was still up, I'd be tacking on onto every order =)

bottle: unknown plant, not exactly floral - maybe some aquatic? if so its light

wet: unknown green floral - Dandelion maybe? This reminds me some of the Rappaccini Garden stuff - Sundew. I'm sniffing Sundew and Schoolhouse to see if its similar to either of these, because that's what came to mind. I wish I still had Roadhouse to test side by side too.

drying: Very fresh, clean, sharp green/yellow. I'm really liking this, but I can't pick out the notes. Something sweet underneath. I do think it's similar to Schoolhouse without the woody/balsam part. Extremely fresh green, not quite sticky - not F5 fresh though, this is sharp and definitely plant material. There's a sweet note under it that I haven't picked out yet, maybe the more it dries, the more I will smell of it.

AFTER this dried, I could tell more. I think it's got beeswax or something similar - I think that's why I thougth Sundew, because its sweet and almost creamy, but still very plant based. It still has something green in it, and maybe a floral underneath. So here's my breakdown:

Sundew (sticky fresh) meets Schoolhouse (minus the balsam) meets Ichabod Crane (minus the cream): heavy creamy sweet beeswax, sharp green, soft white floral under Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory-The Edge of Chaos-MCLXXIV(1174)

This is the 2nd bottle I chose out of the 7 randomly to try out and I’ve been wearing this off and on to try and get a sense of what I’m smelling. My mom said that she really liked it; it somehow reminded her of the waft she gets when she wears Poison by Christian Dior but I don’t see the similarity. I wore it today because something in this blend-a specific note actually reminds me of something else I’ve tried in the BPAL catalog but for the life of me I can’t remember!!! Anyway onto the review.

I did dab on some Haunted on my clean wrist because for whatever reason I think there has to be some of that black musk in this particular CT blend.

Initial sniff from bottle:I’m not sure…I think I do smell that black musk with something..fruit driven. Perhaps a black fruit? Maybe plum??? A wisp of maybe something tart..and for whatever reason I think a tad fizz like..I’m not really good at identifying the mélange.

After sniffing Haunted on my arm I’m pretty sure it’s the black musk and possibly maybe some amber in here.

Applied wet on skin: It’s a bit sweet fruit-like..maybe and then what comes up surging to the front is most definitely musk..of the black variety..and maybe amber??? There’s a sweetness here I’m having trouble identifying..

Couple of minutes on skin: This is when the black musk is obnoxious. I mean it’s all you can smell…with a slightly citrus like wisp on the tail end that really makes me think it’s amber because Haunted wears like this on me too. It’s very heady and kind of dark….

10 minutes later:It’s still predominantly the black musk but there’s something else in here giving it a golden slant..and I’m really not sure it’s amber because there is no powdery off shoot that I sometimes register with amber. The visual I get when sniffing this is deep dark musk shot through with threads of something golden..

Definitely heady and kind of sexy.

20 minutes later:Drying this kind of reminds me of Haunted and maybe Jacobs Ladder??? It’s all just heady, a bit dark but with golden overtones. No floral, no red/black fruit that I can discern…that slight wisp of citrus I thought I had registered earlier is gone as well. This has really good throw.

Drydown: Similar to what I get with amber dominated fragrances that Beth creates; it’s like golden downy warmth.

Lasting power on me is impressive 5+hours with throw average to strong.

Bottom Line: This will work nicely for fall and winter; a hybrid on some levels between Haunted/Jacobs Ladder. I’m loving it.

CDXVI - 416

In the bottle: Sweet/buttery/foody, citrusy too. Gah. Tonka, again. And grapefruit or tangerine. Sort of pink and girly with a tart edge.

Wet: Less foody, soapier - a white floral of some sort (honeysuckle?). Less tart, but still quite fruity. Creamier and softer, less bright.

Dry: Definitely a floral or two - iris or orris, and perhaps some piercing white musk, because that combo tends to make my head pound.

I had to wash this off as it made me ill and couldn't therefore assess it fully. :P

MCCCX - 1310

In the bottle: Fruity, juicy, tart/citrusy! Fun and fresh and sweet too, with a strong streak of slightly herbal BLACKBERRY, and some darkish woods and/or herbs lurking behind.

Wet: Yes, definitely blackberry, but something more tart, a citrus, and some herbal, almost astringently green notes too - blackberry leaf as well as fruit, and maybe a hint of mentholic something, eucalyptus?

Dry: The herbal-blackberry combo reminds me greatly of The Oblation, but here the menthol has replaced the lavender's role, leading to an almost more masculine blend, but the blackberry is stronger here, so not really.

Later: There's other fruit here, which seems to potentiate the blackberry - peach (and maybe black cherry?)! The mentholic note has faded so that it provides a bright, green edge but isn't overly sharp. Musk, too, definitely, most likely white; it's quite strong, almost creamy.

Summary: Blackberry, peach, and rich white musk, with lighter herbal blackberry leaf and faint mentholic eucalyptus. Bright, fruity, and feminine but also a bit deep and edgy. A unique blend that works somehow, with the greenery balancing the sweet, creamy fruits.

I think I'm holding on to this one, at least for now. It's sort of like a weird cross between Fae and The Oblation, with eucalyptus thrown in.

Previously reviewed by SurrealReality.

MCLXXI - 1171

In the bottle: Caramel or dark sugar, something fruity and fresh.

On wet: Almost instantly, that drizzle of sugary caramel gives way to...uh, herbal bubblegum?? I *think* that's what I'm smelling, but damn, is it ever sharp and weird. And now it's going kinda chemical, like...burning bleach. :P

Drydown: I still don't know what I'm smelling, but thankfully there's some light caramel-fruit sweetness returning to the forefront. I'm still picking up on what I can only describe as bubblebum, but it's now a supporting note in this strange blend, and no longer horribly offensive. The longer it dries, the more intense the sweet, candied fruit becomes - I'm thinking it might be red plum.

Overall: Out of the 8 CTs that've come my way (4 this round, 4 last), this is the first and only bottle that I really, *really* didn't like. I even had a no-swap policy in place specifically for any CT purchases 'cause they were all unique and made for me, right? But in this case, I think I'll have to bend the rules a bit. This odd duck (odd with my chemistry, at any rate) will almost certainly never see the light of day, and that's no life for *any* BPAL fragrance. I'll have to find it a new home. :D

Edited by furygrrl

MCXLVII - 1147

In the bottle: My nose is instantly hit with strong, "dirty-rooty" patchouli. Loitering around the edges is something bitter, something muddy green. This scent seems really dark at first sniff.

On wet: Menthol, like Vick's Vaporub. The fresh, almost sour twang of newly fallen leaves emerges seconds later.

Drydown: The patchouli is finally rising back up with a tiny lick of dirty smoke alongside it. There's a smidge of lingering menthol, too, but this is primarily all patch, all the time.

Overall: I typically like my patchouli spruced up with some fruit or tobacco or musky-musk, but this is quite nice, too. It's simple, uncomplicated, not overly sweet, not too dark. I haven't received a CT in this category yet (non-perfumey/foody/floral) so it was a nice surprise! :P

CXVIII

I've found several CTs that I like, but I have finally found one that you will pry from my cold, dead fingers.

I opened my decant and was blasted with the scent of coffee beans. In the imp, it smells just like opening a barrel of a flavored coffee blend. Dark, rich, and a little bit sweet. Maybe a little spice? I've been looking for a scent like this for ages.

As it dries, it turns out smelling almost exactly like Pinched, on my skin. Perhaps a little heavier on the coffee. I think there might be tobacco in this -- a rich, sweet tobacco and not an ashtray one. There seems to be a rough wood note grounding everything. Maybe a hint of cinnamon bark. (But it's really subtle, sort of like El Dia de Reyes.) It's not sweet at all. The longer it wears, the stronger the earthy, tobacco quality gets.

After a while, I started to wonder if there was chocolate in this. What I THINK I initially mistook for chocolate is fig. The earthy, rooty base of this is definitely the lab's earthy fig concoction, just like Strangler Fig. When the coffee simmers down, hours later, it allows the fruit note of the fig to come through.

The coffee is so strong it's hard to say what else is in it, for sure. So, in short: DAAAARK COFFEE with rooty fig, maybe tobacco, maybe a hint of cinnamon bark.

Edited by naeelah

CLVII (157)

The person I bought it from described it as 'a pineapple alcoholic drink' and I can see where they're coming from!

In the bottle: Pineapple! Or something like it, at least. Sweetness but with a tang that makes it addicting. :P

Wet: Still tart-sweet, but with a darker undertone.

Dry: Almost...smoky? Though it still keeps that fruit layer on top of it all. It reminds me of a bonfire with fruity drinks being consumed all around. Or sticky char-grilled pineapples!

I freaking love it.

Previously reviewed by fairnymph.

Edited by Shollin

DCCCV (805):

Got this as a surprise decant from a generous forumite. In the imp, a sharp, soapy sweetness that was, to my nose, surprisingly nondescript. As soon as it touched my skin, though, it erupted into a burst of cardamom and juicy fruitiness with maybe just a tiny touch of cinnamon. Its only drawback is that it doesn't last long enough (but BPAL's cardamom note never does). Amazingly delicious, though I really have to slather it to get any throw.

Edited by yewberry

I will tell you right away I do not have the best nose but I will try to describe these the best I can.

MCCCV (1305)

This is vanilla licorice. Vanilla floats on top of anise. Sweet and spicy and slightly foody. YUM!

MCCCXXII (1322)

This is a sugared floral. I don't know what sort of floral it is. It's a lighter foral not at all heavy or heady. I know it's not rose or gardenia. It smells kinda tropical. My mom thinks it might be a lily but it doesn't smell like any lily I've smelled (I don't usually like lilies). It's a sweet spring or summery scent to me.

CX - 110, previously reviewed by Black Tauna

You know, I don't get the buttery popcorn of it. I got this flash of sugary bubblegum, almost like a pop, and a fizzy sugariness. I get candy, cotton candy to be precise, and maybe just a hint of the popcorn. It's like going to the carnival and glutting yourself on cotton candy and popcorn.

DCII - 603, previously reviewed by sookster

Huh. I don't get the spices. I get ivy and greenness from this. I got a very green, herby kinda scent. As it dried, I got a little dryer sheet from it. Now... I'm getting the pepper. Interesting... but not for me.

Edited by Shollin

i had suspected that the whole CT line was one i should avoid. i just don't do well with uncertainty, and my fears were confirmed with the two that i have tried.

the first one started out quite pleasing- all resins and spice, right up my alley. but within 20 minutes, my skin turned it into manly-man cologne. :D

the second go sounded intriguing, as hazelnut was mentioned by the person i swapped it from. but unfortunately, it was hazelnut mixed with whatever is in Pruno that makes it smell like Mr. Clean on me. instant headache :P even after scrubbing it off with water and soap, it stayed with me and it's only now, 45 minutes later, that i can say it's turned into something that doesn't make me want to chew my own arm off to flee.

no, Chaos Theory just isn't for me.

MCXXX - 1130

In the bottle: sugared coffee, cherries

Wet on skin: sugared coffee, cherries, plain cheerios (breakfast cereal), and a little liquor (very light and in the background)

Dry: coffee (darker now, not as sweet), cherries, cheerios, and liquor (slightly stronger). About 1/2 hr later, the cherry note has faded some. About 1 hour later, the cherry note is gone, and the liquor note has faded some. About 1 1/2 hrs later, the liquor note is gone, leaving only coffee and cheerios

I like this scent :P Don't know if I'll keep it yet though

EDIT: Gone to cheshirecat!

Edited by SurrealReality

I only bought one Chaos and it's a hard one to review. The number is MCCCLXXXll, so 1460. It's a fresh scent and in some ways reminds me of Archangel Winter, so it must have some ozone. It smells cool and might have a touch of rose somewhere in there. The drydown is soft and really pretty. There's something sweet in the background, maybe honey or sugar, but it isn't sharp at all. I wish I was better at this because it's really hard to describe. It makes me wish I would have gotten a few more.

MCVIII...wish that I could say that I know what mine is :P , kind of warm, green, "rooty" with some floral, maybe even green coconut. I really like it just have crap for a nose when it comes to complex blends. At the next Mn'S in Seattle I will have to bring it to see if someone has a clue to what I have.

CCCXX - 320, previously reviwed by fairnymph

Yup, definitely get ginger and coconut. It's not the coconut of death, but more of the coconut you get in a tropical drink. This one could have very well been part of the Atomic Tiki Lounge. It's got that jungle tropical vibe, the ginger and coconut with a fruity floralness.

Meh.

MCXLI

So far I'm finding reviews for very, very similar scents - but none with the same number, alas!

It's mostly candy-like lime, with something richer underneath, maybe a resin. It's a bit like I expected Mr. Nancy to be, actually. When I first got the bottle I really didn't like it (someone had one that smelled like lemon-lime lifesavers, and that was about right for this one at first), but it seems to have calmed down. As it dries, the lime gets sharper and less candy-like, and the resin goes in and out. It's a simple, uncomplicated fruity scent, and I can't decide if I like it on me. It's certainly not unpleasant, but it's a very weird scent to wear.

DCLXXIV (674)

In the bottle this is all oranges and cloves - a wonderful, warm, tart and spice scent.

Sadly enough, when I put this on my skin et the orange, but the clove stays behind and is still lovely. Eventually the orange comes back, but the clove has good throw and the orange stays close to the skin.

Deeelish! I got this from another forumite, and I'm so grateful to them!

Previously reviewed by GirlInDenial.

CLXVI: In Bottle: Super orange

On Skin: This is yummy, very citrus, orange to be specific. It's soft though, not tart... like an orange creamy candy. Soft and powdery, like orange pixie stix... wait, it smells like PEZ!!!! It's very well blended and the only notes I'm getting from it are orange, sugar, maybe a little vanilla. The powderyness may be from a velvety light amber. It's gorgeous and wish I had gotten a bottle of this!!!

Edited by slave1

XIV

In Bottle: Sweet and planty

On Skin: This has a very organic feel. It's sweet though and I love it. I smell greenery and soft dry grasses, maybe hay. It's warm and comforting. I smell a pretty floral note too, nothing perfumey, more simple. As it dries down, it takes on a more sour floral feel on me, but still quite nice. Overall it is green and gold in tone on me. I would call it a farm or field scent to create a visual.

XCII:

In Bottle: Sweet and feral

On Skin: I don't tlike this one... sorry. It is very feral, an animal musk of some sort... maybe civet? It smells like an animal in heat, with a sweet background note. Very red in tone, a bit resinous. Eeek, it's terrible on me, I'm sorry I can't review it any further.

LXXXIII:

In Bottle: Sweet and spicy

On Skin: Clove and a bit of cinnamon or cardamom. Very intense. There is also a bit of a cologne note in the back ground. Yeah, spicy masculine cologne. I get also a bit of leather. It's a little funky to me, something isn't right. It's probably the clove because clove usually hates me with a passion. It has that metallic note and it's very dominant here.

Edited by slave1

MCCCLXIV

I got this as a frimp - I have to say lemon and orange candies. It's got this lemon fizz going on wet, which is very strong, but as it dries, I get more of an orange vibe from it. This is bright, sunny, sugary. Tasty. :P

Edited by zankoku_zen

CMXLIII (943)

In bottle: Vetiver and smoke. Maybe licorice and something green, possibly tea. So disappointing. Wet: Definitely smokey. Also leather and the things I noticed before. I suspect this is what Sharpe of Sharpe’s rifles would smell like. Weirdly, I rather like it, despite the vetiver. It smells of Napoleonic war era soldier camp: gun and woodsmoke, leather, tea, sulpher, men. Unfortunately, we all know how well I do with vetiver. Heartbreaking. Dry: I really could almost where this. It goes all leather/licorice/spices as it dries, but the lingering hint of vetiver is just too much for me and my eyes swelled up a little, so I’m going to have to let it go despite the yumminess. Heartbreaking.

MCVI it says, I got this decant as a frimp

Hmmm... it's a smooth white/linen floral, that has a slight tendency to smell like laundry detergent. It smells nice and if my clothes smelled like this, I'd be happy.

DCCCLXI

This one had a bright lemony citrus pop at the beginning, with a hint of menthol, and now it's dried to a smooth, almost linen note. Very strong linen on it. Smells clean and breezy.

Previously reviewed by Sapphy.

Edited by Shollin

MCCXLIX - I swear, whomever at the lab picked my CT bottles and put them in my package had some kind of innate ability to divine every CT blend that was based on gardenia. I have gotten at least 3 or 4 gardenia and greenery blends.

So, this is another of them. I'm having an extremely difficult time picking out notes here, but basically, it reminds me of Manila, with gardenia in place of plumeria. It's a sweet, rich gardenia, with strong greenery, and what seems to be a hint of smoky resin.

MCCXLVI - Bizarrely, Midnight Aeval has already reviewed this number, but I'm 95% sure I got this bottle directly from the lab. Comparing note descriptions, I think these bottles are nothing alike, so either the lab goofed and put the same number on two, or somewhere in the course of her bottle traveling around the net, someone made a type in the number.

In the bottle, this smells like some kind of pastry. A buttered tart with raspberries. On the skin, a brown sugar quality emerges and, for just a minute, it smells surprisingly similar to Crumpet Rebellion. But then the buttery pastry goes away, and I'm left with a sharper base. There is definitely something a little smoky here, I think myrrh, and possibly a brighter musk, mingling with the raspberries.

It has excellent throw.

Edited by Shollin

CMLXXX - I was recently frimped my first Chaos Theory. I didn't get a bit of gin off this as another reviewer described and I loves me the booze :D Instead I got cloying jasmine and other light flowers with a hint of slightly nauseating...bubblegum? Not for me at all! :P

(edited after I saw CT review format)

Previously reviewed by Champagne.

Edited by Shollin

All of these imps were decanted by the masterful gwynfhar!

mlxiv-wet in the imp lemon lime candy

Drydown: lemon lime candy!

I smell like lemon and lime lifesavers. :D

mxviii-wet in imp: grapey floral :D Drydown Light grapey/fruit floral. This is not overpowering at all. Just light fruit and very light floral I love this imp.

mxxii- wet in the imp: something funky and unidentifiable with a light floral base. It has a light floral base with something stinky in it. I wish I was good with notes, because I would love to know what was in this one.

mccclxxxviii-wet in the imp: Strong grapefruit/citrus. :D Drydown: This one is a pure grapefruit/citrusy/with a little of orange scent. This so pretty, and it has a pretty good throw.

dcccxv-wet in the imp: Creamy lemon with a little citrus. Drydown: Light throw, creamy lemon is all that is. It's nice, but doesn't last.

mvii-wet in the imp: It made me sneeze, wet it smells like wet fruity candy hearts from valentine's day. The kind that are sold by Necco candy company. Drydown: light fruit mix with a serious womanly perfume :P It's okay but I think that I could send this one off to the swaps

mxi-wet in the imp: astringent florals Drydown on the skin: Stinky like florals with cleaner. NOT good at all :D

Last imp: Mystery imp: wet on skin: Melon Woh! hold the phone, honey dew melon. Clean and crisp honey dew melon that is edible. And now its a creamy melon. I love it! I now want me some melon.