Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Effluvia

La Petite Mort

Seduction, sensuality, the Act, and the aftermath all in one. The scent of warm, damp skin flushed with the glow of passion, touched by the luxuriant potency of ylang ylang and myrrh.

Vaguely floral (I get jasmine - it's probably the ylang ylang), musk, a touch of honey, and MYRRH. Reminds me of a less incensey/herbal Gothic Horror.

Reviewing an imp that is probably 2.5 years old. I ordered it because i adore O so was curious about the comparison. It's....nothing related to O on me. Where O doesn't go powdery, this goes all powder, and slightly floral. It's very sweet, goes faint quite quickly, and to me, doesn't suggest the description at all. I don't hate it at all, it's actually quite pleasant, but once the imp is gone I won't be needing more. Back to O...

Frimp from the lab.

On me this was O with a twist. If I’d blindly applied this, then I would have sworn that’s what I was wearing. I could only slightly smell the ylang ylang which bummed me because I love that note. It went faint on my skin really fast, too. However, ten hours later a strong sniff of my wrist confirmed it was still faintly there. 

Not bad, just not for me. 

Imp purchased from a forumite, date stamped February 16, 2014.

In the imp: Myrrh, ylang ylang, and some sweetness that I can't directly account for from either note. 

On my skin:

Wet, the powdery sweetness of myrrh steps up first. As it dries, it's mostly myrrh, with the faintest tinge of floral ylang ylang across the top. It also very much evokes the concept of flushed skin for me, though there aren't notes I can pick out that are contributing to this. 

For folks for whom O goes powdery, I can see the resemblance with La Petit Mort's myrrh note. On me, however, the myrrh is deeper and more resinous than the amber. Also, where O's honey can be a bit cloying, this is just soft sweetness. 

It's a close skin scent on me, but it's not fading. (My experience with myrrh is that it's fairly long-lived on me.) Definitely trying this again for some all-day wear.

Wet: Honey and ylang ylang! It feels very "warm" and golden. Maybe a little skin musk, as well?

Dry: Honey! My skin tends to amp honey notes, and this is no different. I can't detect any ylang ylang anymore. I can see the comparison to "O", but this has less of a baby powder scent on me than "O" has, which is making is much more pleasant! I still think there may be some type of skin musk in here, as well. 

I like it! I'm not sure if it's bottle worthy, but I'll hang on to my decant.

In the Imp: Sweet florals

On Me: Clean laundry with a touch of florals. It's nice but I prefer other scents to this, so no bottle of this for me. If you didn't like the lemony scent of Follow Me Boy but liked the powdery scent, I'd suggest trying this instead. 

Testing a frimp from the Lab. Le Petit Mort is sweet, powdery, and lightly musky. When wet, it has a rich floral note, which becomes quiet on the skin. When I sniff it up close, is has a ticklish powdery quality. However, it has little throw and creates a soft, sweet, sultry halo. This is not as sensual as I would have expected, but it is a pleasant sleep scent. 

Edited by wordortwo
Typo

From out of the lab frimp I sniffed, and thought... formaldehyde? Cavity fluid? Maybe it's the name, La Petite Mort, that took me to prep room of the funeral home. I was surprised at how chemically it smelled. On my skin, however, it softened with the myrrh taking the lead, the ylang ylang following, and now it's powdery like a fiesty grandma. Since I'm a bit young for that label, I'm not feeling like this is the scent for me. It's still a bit heavy, though it does stay close to the skin. I don't get the "sexy" connotations that others seem to get. Oh well. I feel like it's tame enough for me to wear with my pantsuit.

This smells amazing. Flushed skin, like cherry & almond. Reminds me of Coyote, except more sensual & intimate, more grown-up. The ylang-ylang & myrrh do make this luxurious, & expensive smelling. Really has great throw, & lengthy wear. Totally unisex to my nose. Plan to strike an air of mystery when I wear this one.

I get a dark velvety myrrh beeswax with a cloud of ylang ylang around it. Maybe a bit of amber or black musk (I know those two are very different but I'm getting a hint of the dark snuggliness I get from Haunted but can't pinpoint why). Soft, sultry, and inviting. I didn't get an assosciation myself with O prior to reading reviews but I can sort of see the connection.

I got an imp of this as part of an order that was a quest to find some good summer scents.

In the imp: huh, it's a perfume. I don't get a lot of differentiation of notes in here. Nice enough. There's some musky, floral stuff going on, that's about all I can tell.

On me: Oh. Wow. Those flowers are leaping out now. I'm getting what I know to be ylang ylang, which I love in general, but there's something about it--an almost fruity creaminess I'm not used to from pure ylang ylang that almost makes me think of gardenia. And there's a skin musk in there that makes me think a bit of Sed Non Satiata. I feel like I put it into the same category with that scent. It's warm, sexy, but not seductive-sexy. To me, it's cuddling naked after sex with a long-time partner on a warm afternoon with the windows open to let in the smell of flowers. I could see this being My Summer Scent. I adore it. I want a bottle.