Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red musk, bergamot, black currant, mimosa, orchid, patchouli, and lotus root.

:P I love this blend! It does have a similarity to Smut but Smut does not work on me. It also reminds me of Scherezade. It is a super duper sexy blend and my husband could not keep his hands off of me when he came home today and I had it on. (although the BPTP Yoga Pants probably didn't hurt either :D )

I am so happy that I have a bottle of this blend.

Very red, very dark. I can tell this is going to be one that, at least in the wet stage, is going to give me a headache. I'm hoping the lotus root will pull it out for me. I want to love these dark and sexy oils.

Wet: Wow -- that musk is all over the place and soo strong. I like the smell, but it gives me a headache, without fail.

Drydown -- It is just too strong, still, although there is such an appealing undernote to this. The lotus is coming out to play more and I want to love it. I do. Alas, it just can't beat Mme. Moriarty for me.

in the bottle: the first sniff i took of this it reminded me of an incense shop.

wet on skin: for some reason all i can think of is gorgeous dark red lipstick.

dry: this is very well blended so its difficult to distinguish - there is definitely musk - then black current - the patchouli plays a role but does not have that dominant phase it has in many other scents - the lotus root and other notes are playing a role that grounds the musk and prevents it from being too fruity.

this is red!!!! it's red in colour, includes red notes and evokes red images. & it's great for a confidence boost - i feel good when i am wearing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

though the 3rd time i wore it i did go a little over-board on slathering marianne - resulting in a little musk headache - so as hard as it is i'll be trying to keep to light-to-average application

In bottle: barely-there pink perfume

On skin: blast of musky sweet incense

Half-hour later: pink and red and pink and red! The waft is dusty pink florals, but up close is smutty musk, sweetened by the black currant

In conclusion: red musk almost always works on me, so I had to try this one. I love the sweet incensey feel, with the flowers giving a feminine edge.

In the bottle this smells of deep thick patchouli and the deep red musk. When I put it on I could smell the black currant, and orchid and mimosa layering over the red musk into a nice dark nummy goodness. As it was inthe drying down stage on me it was just Oooh La La red musky sexiness on me with loads of lovely sweetness. AS it dried this was a black current red musk. This made me feel so sexy wearing it. So womanly...like a Goddess!

Whow. This is the nice kind of patchouli. And say hello to mimosa! It goes all sweetly floral on me after I put it on.

I can really imagine this will smell very different once red musk week comes along again. :D Right now the florals really drown it and Marianne becomes a sweetly spiced bergamot, lotus and mimosa blend instead of the heavy red musk scent I would favour. But it is really lovely and I can imagine that it will only become even better.

This might have to become a bottle before carnaval ends :D

Edited to add:

Well... I have to add to my premature review that Marianne dries down to a very incensey scent, mainly due to the patchouli. All the floras are gone quickly and the staying power is not that great on me. The red musk stage somehow gets skipped on me. Hmmm. Now I am not so sure about this any more, I dont like to smell like "incense" but that is what my skin turns it into :P

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

Woah, mama! This just screams sex in a bottle*, I'm going to have to be careful where I wear this one. This is so strong and powerful, and lasts sooo long.

At first, when I sniffed it in the decant I wasn't so sure. I put it on and was just *bam*. It's wonderful.

*Note, I'm not saying it smells like the scent of sex. Nor like someone has had sex in the bottle (they would have some serious issues). :P

I amp red musk like crazy so a lot of red musk blends smell very similar to me. Thankfully, I love it, so I don't mind amping it. I just have to be very choosy about the red musk scents because they all smell so similar on me.

Marianne reminds me of Scherezade, but where that one is incensey, this one is sweet. I think that's from the mimosa and black currant. Also, the red musk in this one seems to be quite strong and loud at first, but it backs off after about an hour or so and the other notes come out to play. I like that part, because I can smell the patchouli in it at that point. (Another note I love.)

It's different enough that I would certainly consider a bottle and would wear it if I had one, but it's also close enough to other perfumes that I already have that I don't feel like I need a bottle immediately. That said, I honestly think this scent is fabulous. I enjoy it immensely.

My first thought when sniffing Marianne in the bottle was that it smelled sort of like Snake Oil with blackberry added in. I didn't remember what was in this one when I first tried it on my skin, and I wrote down, "Sexy, warm musk, dark fruit with a sour twang (blackberry? raspberry?), and wonderful woodsy tones. Some patchouli in the drydown?."

I would say that the red musk is the foundation of this scent on me (I also tend to amp red musk, which is okay, because I loves me some red musk), and the fruity black currant is pretty constant, with just hints of juicy orchid rounding the edges and a lovely earthy tone from the patchouli in the drydown.

Patchouli is probably my favorite smell ever, so I love the subtle but obvious part that it plays in this blend. I love red musk, black currant and orchid as well. I'd say that Marianne is a perfect combination of all of those favorite things :P.

I have a bottle of this now, but I'll be getting at least one more full bottle before the carnaval leaves town.

ETA: The second bottle I ordered of this smells nothing like the first. The second one is all ashy, gritty patchouli and something that smells like body odor. This is why I never purchase multiple bottles from bpal anymore :rolleyes: not even close to being the same scent...

Edited by Little Bird

Mmm.. this is sexy.

You know, I didn't think of Smut or Snake Charmer at all.

On me, Marianne is a lot like Midnight Kiss.. which is one of my favourites. ;)

Darker, and more vicious, but in the same family methinks. I bet it will age really nice.

Marianne

In the bottle: mmm, the incense-tinged spicy red musk of Scherezade, with a hint of floral.

Wet on skin: wow! Patchouli, red musk, incense! almost like nag champa, but better!

Dry on skin: now the flowers come out, lightening the scent a bit. I can smell the sweet powdery lotus root, which I love, with a touch of mimosa which smells just like the little yellow pompoms that bloom in the garden every spring. I think there’s also a bit of orchid, and this is an intense rich black orchid to me. Underneath, red musk and patchouli smell rich and dark, spicy and incense-y, and a bit dirty-definitely earthy. The musk is the same as Scherezade’s, like sexed-up nag champa. There’s definitely a hint of headshop to this, and I love it.

After a while: the initial dirtiness of the musk and patch tones down, and I’m pleasantly surprised at how pretty the floral notes make it. They add a lighter, gentler touch and contrast beautifully with the muskiness. This is a very two-toned scent, there’s the sweet floral on the top, and the base of dirty incense-laced musk. There’s something almost fruity about the flowers here, maybe it’s the currant, but it’s not a currant-y fruitiness, it’s lighter and more like sugar cane, I think it’s the lotus at work.

The scent then turns into a really good nag champa/exotic incense scent, makes me think of a darker take on Mama Ji, actually! Yes, that’s what this reminds me of now, Mama Ji with added musk! And then, the scent morphs again, and it smells a tiny bit like Smut now, but without that disturbing rubbery scent I got from Smut. But the dark, heavy red musk is very similar. And then it turns a tiny bit like Mme, sweeter red musk, but with a drier, crumbly feel to it like the ashes of incense.

Verdict: this lady is my middle-namesake scent so I had high hopes for her, and thankfully, this scent doesn’t disappoint! Normally I’m not crazy about nag champa type scents, and this has a distinctly champa-like feel to it, but I love this. I think it’s the richness of the musk and the bright floral aspect that makes it. there’s a nice duality to this scent, the floral notes are soft and pretty, the sweet sugary lotus and orchid and fluffy mimosa are approachable and gentle. But underneath there’s a smutty (and yes it does resemble BPAL Smut) and raunchy dirty darkness, deep patchouli and a spicy, incense-y red musk. This is a fantastic combination. The scent reminds of Scherezade in it’s spiciness, with hints of Mama Ji, but with a more floral slant. I already love this scent but I have a feeling a bit of age is going to make this even more fantastic. I am so glad this scent works on me this well.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Oh yes, and she’s going to be hoarded.

If you like this, try: Scherezade, Mme Moriarty, Lust, Mama Ji, Smut, Midnight Kiss, The Grindhouse

This is musky, red and soft. The florals play fair on me (unusual) and there's a sugary quality to it. I'm loving this.. :P

Straight out of the bottle, this smells like Smut. It's deep, murky, and a little fruity. After about a half an hour, it morphs into something a lot like Frederic, the fear of which prevented me from getting a bottle of this in the first place. To be precise, it's not as ashy as Frederic was, but there's that same dry, woodsy scent that made Frederic so unpalatable to me. I was disappointed, I wanted something a bit more lush and exhuberant. Overall, I don't really dislike this, it's just that a lot of red musk blends smell very similar to me, and so there are a couple that I prefer over Marianne (Kabuki, Hollywood Babylon). I will say that the mood of this matches the painting very well -- this is definitely a crimson blend.

3.5/5

Whoa. I can’t decide if I like this or not. On me it’s particularly strong and long-lasting. I keep catching whiffs of it and sometimes it’s entrancingly gorgeous, deep and dark and sexy, and sometimes it’s “dirty hippie with an extremely bad case of curry-breath”.

I normally don’t test oils this late in my cycle, so will have to try again another day. It’s certainly worth another try, anyway. I hope the “gorgeous” stays and the hippie goes away!

In the bottle: Dark cola-brown, viscous oil. Sweet, a little bitter, and oddly sparkling. A bit fruity. Definitely picking up on the red musk, lotus root, and patchouli. Dark and languid in feel.

Wet: Less harsh and bitter, and less sweet - softer overall. The patchouli is the 'rooty' sort which I don't much like - it's sort of dirty and cloying. The mimosa is bright and both a bit sharp and sparkling - it was the bitter note. Light currant and bergamot provide some tartness.

Dry: The mimosa and rooty notes in this remind me a bit of Thierry Mugler's 'Atelier Grimal' fragrance, but this is darker and sweeter. Still, there's a similar rustic feel. The sparkling sweetness makes me think of cola or root beer too.

Later: The bergamot has mostly gone, and the orchid has emerged, but it's not too overbearing. The lotus keeps this sweet but not quite bubblegum - the bitter edge of the mimosa and the cloyingness of lotus seem to cancel each other out. Red musk is sexy but not harsh as it often is; patchouli is still very much dirty roots.

Summary: Fragrant mimosa, tart currant, syrupy lotus root and dark, soil-like, rooty patchouli balance each other over fainter red musk (has an edge, but it works, definitely the best red musk blend on my skin so far) and deep, gorgeous orchid. Unisex to feminine. Sophisticated. Decent throw and lasting power.

Reminds me of: Midnight Kiss (strongest resemblance by far), Kabuki and Mme Moriarty to lesser extents - definitely some boozy, earthy, and anisey notes, though

Not my thing, but better than I expected! The lotus and patchouli here are sadly deal breakers.

Edited by fairnymph

i don't know what magic it is, but my skin takes Marianne and turns it into the most beautiful scent, second only to Gypsy Queen as my favorite. They share some notes in common, too, and have a similar feel. I love the floral-bergamot top notes giving over to smoky patchouli and red musk.

Once again, this act of the Carnaval throws me a curveball, and one of the scents I had little expectation of working out for me does.

In the bottle: A great deal like Smut! But the bergamot and patchouli are peeking out as well, adding some complexity I don't find from Smut.

Wet: That's funny... the lotus root and orchid come forward first, and I get a candylike sweetness from the throw that actually reminds me of Tiki Queen. How crazy is that?? Up close, the bergamot (which can be a little iffy on me) and currant mixes with the red musk and a smidge of patchouli. This is a shimmering, ever-changing scent... like silk shantung.

Dry: And just like that, it's gone. This really vanishes on my skin! The red musk is about the only thing I can catch a whiff of if I press my nose to my skin, though sometimes others around me can still smell my perfume even if I think it's been completely eaten by me skin. I'd best figure that out before I have the urge to slather myself in this stuff. :D

Verdict: Smut has been an old standby for layering when I want to feel sexy, but it's not a scent I can stand to wear by itself. Marianne, however, is beautiful and intriguing and very, very sexy. It's not so overwhelming that it makes me nauseous, and that I think will also layer well with other scents. So, dear Smut... I'm afraid you've been replaced, though you'll always hold a special place in my heart. :P

This is like Madame Moriarty and War got together and made a sexy love child.

Imp: Red musk sweetness with a kick of darkness.

Wet: Sweet red musk, dark patchouli.

Dry: The fruity sweetness of red musk mixed with the darkness of patchouli.

I really like this.

In the imp: Sweet-tarts.

Wet on skin: Sweet-tarts over a base of dry and spicy woods.

Early dry down (10 minutes): Dry and spicy with just a hint of something berry/plum at the top. It's not sweet so much as it is juicy.

Late dry down (45 minutes): After the initial dry down, this stays remarkably true on me. It's a dry, spicy patchouli at the base with a tart, jammy fruit over the top.

Very nice.

Edited to add: As I wear this throughout the day it is reminding me more and more of Tintagel. I realize the notes aren't similar, but yet it really does smell like Tintagel. Maybe the plum/lotus mimics dragon's blood?

Edited by kakiphony

This is Madame Moriarty's Sexy Younger, Wilder sister!!!! :P

In the bottle: Red musk and Black currant (two of my all time favorite notes) :joy:

Wet on Skin: :D Lotus Root (for some reason my skin loves to amp this) Red musk and Black Currant :D

Dry on Skin: :D Slinky subtle red musk and something else, feminine, wily, seductive. :D

Overall: Marianne is all sweet in the beginning but devilishly sexy in the end. The artwork is gorgeous and more than appropriate for this bottle. I can't wait to see how she does as it ages!

:joy: MUST Have more Bottles before the Carnivale hits the road and leaves town!!!! :lol:

ADDED 7/3/09:

I let this age after last year. I am so glad I did. The orchid has died down and now I have beautiful subtle, sexy, red musk and mimosa with a hint of bergamot. I love it, doesn't matter that she was discontinued...one bottle will be enough...but I do really love this scent!

This one is a nice floral blend, with an undertone of the currant and musk, but I'm just not feeling this one.

I tend to amp red musk and it's what I get most in this. It's not like a single note, to be sure, but definitely the strongest. Very reminiscent of Smut & Mme. M, but less sweet and with more of an incense thing going on. More than either of those it reminds me of Scherezade.

Like the three mentioned above, Marianne is a rich, dark seductive blend with a hint of earthiness & a touch of the exotic. Quite lovely.

First off, this reminds me a little bit of Mme Moriarty for two reasons. Both have the red musk as a very prominent note (and I like red musk, but my favorite red musk scent is Red Moon, if that gives you an idea of what I like going along with it) alongside patchouli and dark fruits, and both seem to be very popular scents that I find mediocre.

I mean, it's nice? I like red musk, I like the dark fruitiness I get alongside it, although the patchouli in here is a bit strong for my taste. However, I don't find it fantastic. Perhaps this is just not my genre of scent, but if you like Mme Moriarty and similar dark/fruity/musky scents (Smut and Midnight Kiss, I'm looking at you guys here), you will probably like Marianne. If, like me, you tend to err more towards the golden/amber/vanilla side of the scent spectrum, Marianne will probably seem very similar to those other scents and nice but not different or spectacular.

in vial:sweet, juicy

wet: Red musk is prominent. Very purple and grape-ish.

dry: this has really strong throw. It is wafting up from my arm. Still very berry.

Wet: SEX! Marianne sidles up and rubs herself against your body. Hi, sexsexsexsex....

This is not the BPAL red musk I'm used to, and wow, that musk is...well, musky.

With the red musk and black currant and patchouli, I was expecting something closer to Mme Moriarty, or maybe Midnight Kiss, but even dried down, Marianne is just all about sex. There's no fruit that I get here at all. I'm really looking for fruit or floral in this, but I get a sultry patchouli and almost smoky musk. She's sultry, she's warm and musky, and she wants to seduce you, NOW.

Bedtime BPAL, not safe for work. :P