Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of heady incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

I like to put this on when I am cold - smelling it warms me right up and makes me feel like someone wrapped me up in butter, sprinkled vanilla beans, cinnamon, and a little sugar on me, and set me out to bake in the sun. The musk keeps it from being too sweet-smelling, and although these aren't really components of the oil, the best things I can use to describe the smell are "Tunisian Pastry shop" or "butter" but it isn't a foody smell, somehow. Basically I can say that the word golden sums it up in my mind, but it isn't helpful on a forum. This one isn't as sweet as Snake Oil, its more like her older, wiser cousin. The scent from the bottle is pretty much the same as how it is on my skin.

This might be my favorite. In the top 3 for sure.

Definitely dry and exotic. Just on, I smell saffron and white pepper, but not in overwhelming quantities - they offset the white musk and keep this light and sunny. Drying down does indeed bring out the softer, more carmelized and toasted-type feel, which blend with the saffron and musk in a fashion I wouldn't have expected.

I bypassed this on my recent order, but I'll be adding it into the next. Perfect for fall or winter, if you're a seasonal scent kind of person.

Today is another gray, icky day. I wanted something that would warm me up and make me feel like the decadent, exotic creature that I am. Heh. :P

I'd say that Old Morocco does the job.

I like this very much. Sweet, spicy, delicious. I wonder what it tastes like!

I don't know that I'm seeing (smelling?) winds coming off the desert in this one, but it's warm and exotic. This is one of those perfumes that I've been waiting my whole life for and didn't realize it.

Definately on the big bottle list.

I know its not particularly helpful or evocative but the words that come to mind with this scent truly are warm, slightly sweet, and spicy. Not hot pepper spicy but more like many spices grouped together. Its as if you were standing in an Egyptian souk between a cafe serving sweet tea and baklava and a spice vendors stall. I believe this may be a perfect scent -- I adore it and I intend to reapply before bed tonight.

I don't have any of the right words to describe Old Morocco. It's my favourite so far and maybe that's why. I've been utterly seduced by it- and how do you explain why you're in love with something? And not just in love but obsessed? I really can't.

This is a beautiful scent- so complex and mysterious. It's so very soft and yet commanding at the same time. There are a thousand layers to this perfume- the scent of sun on skin, exotic spices, lust, poetry, music.

This is what love letters should smell of.

Its soft and sweet to me. Im not sure I can pick out any carnation, it must be mixed with musk and spices. Its not a sickly food type sweet. It's a dusty sweet. It made me think of being in a dim cool room with the heat of the desert and bustle of people outside. Its a room with red and gold rugs and dusty books and brass incense burners.

*shrug* Im terrible with scents and I'm not sure why that image came to mind when I wore this one. But I thought I'd post it before I forgot or lost the image and mood.

It may be a little to sweet for me. The Man thought it was nice on me. I will have to try it again.

In the bottle, I can really smell the sandalwood and musk, but in a few minutes after application, the carnation really blossoms. This scent is so nice, warm, and woodsy. Carnation smells just great on me (love LUSH Potion!) and this scent takes it's clove-like sweetness to the next level! I think that I will use this perfume for my comfort scent when I am put in a stressful situation, since one sniff relaxes me all over.

Initial Impression:

Spicy, sweet, exotic and utterly intoxicating. Brings up images of fantastic, brightly colored bazaar stalls selling spices from far, far away. So lovely! Smells sort of like Snake Oil with far less vanilla.

After Wearing It:

Oh My God I loved this!!!!!!!!! Seriously I'm completely enamoured here. It was just the perfect spicy scent. Warm, interesting, alluring but not in the least overwhelming. I wanted to drench myself in the smell. It also kept me from going nuts after I had to take Layla (my golden retriever) to the vet again because I hate that dog smell.

On me the scent was a good blend of notes, in that I couldn't pick out anything in particular. They all flowed together to create a singular, gorgeous scent. It was so sensual and gorgeous.

But I'm gushing here so I'll stop. Anyone who likes Snake Oil would probably like this. They smell different, but they carry the same feel. It's just gorgeous.

Final Thoughts:

I'm definitely buying a bottle of this in my next order. It's my favorite oil so far from the batch of new scents (haven't worn O yet though, so we'll see) and I can definitely see myself using this with everything. Definitely a winner!

Oh my gosh, is this one a keeper. Fiery warm yet voluptuously soft. I get sandalwood and carnation most strongly. Spicy and almost resiny, not too sweet; feels like wrapping yourself in a favorite dress straight out of the dryer on a cool morning. This is going in my next order without a doubt.

Old Morocco is one of the scents that Im all about!! Its spicy, exotic, sweet and warm! I love it because it reminds me of sweet fragrant middle eastern incenses from long ago. I definetly recommend this one. :P

At first, Old Morocco reminded me of my former best friend's house. Our friendship didn't end on happy terms and I still feel a lot of sadness and a complete lack of closure whenever I'm reminded of her. Thus, Old Morocco was making me feel downright melancholy. But something happened over the course of a couple of days: it mellowed in the vial; it changed. Now, I'm no longer reminded of people best left in the past whenever I smell this yummy fragrance. It's a golden scent, truly golden. I'm definitely contemplating a bottle.

Edited by riddel

This smells like Snake Oil, minus the vanilla, which is perfect! I will getting a bigger bottle of this.

I just realized that there is some carnation in this, which kind of gives it that potion feel.

Edited by friendthegirl

Recently i received DKNY's black cashmere as a gift, this is exactly like that only less smoky/incensey....it has a lot of staying power and is pretty strong...very spicey. I didn't like it at the start as i'm not a big fan of smokey scents...but it has changed into a very well rounded sensual fragrance with no overpowering notes i can detect. It's quite nice now actually...

Once I put Old Morocco on my skin, it instantly replaced Hollywood Babylon as my favorite BPAL scent! It's the perfect exotic, warm and spicy blend!

First sniff: Everyone was SO RIGHT about Old Morocco. I haven’t even put it on and I love it. It’s warm without being overly spicy, exotic without being weird, sandy but not dusty, subtle but not shy. A while ago in a fit of wanting to get away from chemically-smelling stuff (this was before I met Lush) I bought an overpriced body lotion from The Thymes – the scent is called Filigree, and Old Morocco is what Filigree aspires to.

Wearing: It’s sweeter on my skin, a sweetness of spices rather than honey or fruit. If the spice of Arrakis smells like this, no wonder it’s the most precious substance in the universe. The aura is just glorious, burnished bronze and smoky-warm.

This is probably my favorite BPAL so far. On me, the drydown is soft sandalwood with a subtle spiciness. It's warm, just a bit on the sweet side, and lasts quite well. I really enjoy this one, especially in cooler weather.

This is really complex and interesting to me; I almost don't know what to say about it! I will try. I agree that it smells like Snake Oil without the vanilla -- like whatever that perfumey spiciness is in snake oil, and I really like it. It is, as described, and incensey spicy and warm scent. But to me it is not heavy at all as that would make it sound -- in fact, this feels to me like a hot summery scent, not like a wintery scent. It is surprisingly super-fresh to me. It smells a bit like the beach.

It also smells a bit more like very expenisve traditional perfume, because of this likeness to Snake Oil -- I get the guerlain/estee lauder old school scent again, but I LOVE it cause this is just so much fresher and hotter and more interesting than those perfumes, and yet it smells a bit vintage and old school at the same time.

As I keep wearing it, it does weird things -- now a bit sweeter and almost honeyed, now a bit muskier (don't like that turn so much), but it keeps smelling like fresh beachiness only with spices and incense instead of sunscreen and the sea... like being in a desert if a desert were a refreshing and soothing place to be.

I like it, and I'm going to go sit in the sun with it on! It's very light and delicate on me, I think I'll need to reapply...

but wow, it's lovely! so unusual!

Oh. My. Gods.

This is one of the most lovely scents I've tried, and I've had the luck to try many already.

In the bottle: It's sweet without being candy, and warm without being cinnamon. I love it. I think I'm going to have to buy much of this, it's that lovely. I simply can't wait to try this one on.

Wet: Oooh. I definitely like this one. It's a seductive blend, though I can't quite pick out any of the notes. It's warm and spicy, and sweet at the same time. Positively delicious. This one makes be want to eat my wrist.

Wearing: Oh. Lovely. I can't think of another more perfect descriptor. This is just a wonderful, warm and lovely scent. It's fading rather fast it seems, though that may be because I was rushed putting it on today. I can smell it in like a cloud around me though, so it's wafting well. This one invokes the image of an open-air market in a Middle Eastern nation, in the early morning when things are just getting warm, and they're baking fresh goods for the morning so there are lots of fresh spices filling the air.

I have chosen this one for the name mainly, because my boyfriend is Moroccan and the many times I went there on holiday, I have really fallen in love with this beautiful country. The smell of the many, many herbs in the old Medinas are amazing, and with Old Morocco I was hoping to find it's scent captured in the bottle... and it did!!!!

In the bottle: nothing, like the bottle is empty,?????what is going on?

wet: well at least i can smell someting, sweet, faint but yummie

Dry: Oh my! this is great, soft, sweet, spice absolutly capturing the scent of Morocco.It seems to come out of my skin, and become stronger and stronger Somehow it smell like my favorite dish 'Pastilla' chicken with canelle, powder sugar covered with filo pastry. :P

I has great lasting power even it was so soft and faint to begin with.

after some hour it reminds a bit of Samsara by Guerlain (my old fav )

Edited by quinkel

Now this is definitely more promising than the Inferno I just tried. It totally reminds me of this beautiful complex and spicy perfume powder my Dad and I used to get my mother when I was younger. I always said I'd wear it when I grew up, but one year when we went to get it for her, it couldn't be found anywhere.

It's a pretty heavy scent; I'm not sure how much I'll wear it in the summer, but I'm really happy with it. I smell vanilla and a nice undertone of spices, such as cinnamon or nutmeg or something. It doesn't really smell foody to me, though, just complex. After putting it on this morning, I wanted to drench myself in it.

It doesn't have huge staying power, though. My wrists no longer were scented 3 hours after I put it on in the morning. The base of my throat retained the smell longer; not sure why. But, I like it so much, I don't mind too terribly.

Definitely a big bottle for me, possibly one for my mother as well.

Cheers,

Jonobie

In the bottle: I can definitely smell the sandalwood. There's also sort of a myrrh smell to it? It's spicy and sweet and wonderful. It's like you're out in the desert and stumbled across a spice caravan that's near a bakery making fresh bread.

Wet: There's a lot of sandalwood coming through, along with musky and a little foody. Not really foody, but it makes me want to eat my arm.

Dry: Oh, this smooths down to something so delicious I can't stand it. I didn't think I'd like it at first, as I'm not usually really good with sandalwood (what? Libra not good with sandalwood??). It's spicy-sweet. It goes all warm and exotic. The scents blend together into something mysterious and warm.

I'm seriously thinking that I'm getting a bottle of this. I can't stop smelling my wrists with this one on. This isn't one that I'd have picked for myself, as I'm not usually good with Sandalwood but... oh goddess, this is damned good stuff!

I tried this when Diana came to visit. Suffice to say, I liked it. A lot. If Snake Oil didn't agree with your body chemistry, you might want to give this blend a try. It has the same exotic touch as Snake Oil, only it lacks the vanilla sweetness. It doesn't have the same staying power, but don't let that stop you!

My order smelled like this perfume when I received it (one of the ties got into the perfume and sucked up a little and distributed it about the package). Once on my skin, it’s quite a nice spicy perfume, but not sweet. After a couple of hours though, it turns slightly more floral (the carnation, I would imagine). Old Morocco has really good staying power – lasts me a full day day at work, and well into the evening. Though I do have to be careful where I put it - it's alright in the cleavage and wrists, but if I put it on my neck or inner elbow or back of the knees, it stings somewhat.

I love this so. Perfectly combines spicy with sweetness. I can't usually wear florals, but carnation seems to be an exception to this rule. I love to wear this with Lush's Potion (must be the carnation.) It also pairs well with Karma stuff (must be the incense!)

This lasts an insanely long time on me, and a little dab will do me.

:P

Initial Sniff:This is difficult to capture - for some reason the scent just evades direct sniffage, and instead I get little glimpses of peripheral scent... here a little spicy, a little musky, a little sweet...

Wearing: I smell like a tasty exotic baked good one moment and a tasty exotic seductress the next. This scent is always changing, but I would also say that it is true to the scent in the bottle... very mysterious and unusual.

Final Impressions: I think I have to wear this more to gain a full appreciation for the scent, but I'm perfectly willing to make that commitment!