A bastard vile, a beast with rage possessed,
A way of error, a temple full of treason,
In all effects contrary unto reason.

A poisoned serpent covered all with flowers,
Mother of sighs, and murderer of repose,
A sea of sorrows whence are drawn such showers
As moisture lend to every grief that grows;
A school of guile, a net of deep deceit,
A gilded hook that holds a poisoned bait.

A fortress foiled, which reason did defend,
A siren song, a fever of the mind,
A maze wherein affection finds no end,
A raging cloud that runs before the wind,
A substance like the shadow of the sun,
A goal of grief for which the wisest run.

A quenchless fire, a nurse of trembling fear,
A path that leads to peril and mishap,
A true retreat of sorrow and despair,
An idle boy that sleeps in pleasure's lap,
A deep mistrust of that which certain seems,
A hope of that which reason doubtful deems.

Sith then thy trains my younger years betrayed,
And for my faith ingratitude I find;
And sith repentance hath my wrongs bewrayed,
Whose course was ever contrary to kind:
False love, desire, and beauty frail, adieu.
Dead is the root whence all these fancies grew.

Pale lavender, sweet violet, balsam of Peru, and paperwhite narcissus.

Sniffing from the bottle: it's hard for any note to stand up to lavender, and when I sniff this from the bottle, that's pretty much all I smell. On first application, it's pure lavender, as well - though a very wearable lavender, not medicinal at all. Slowly I start to sense a gentle sweetness start to glow through, and I assume it's the balsam of peru. Which, to be honest, I knew was sweet, but I didn't really think was going to be this sweet. Of course, the description says "sweet violet" as well, so although I'm not really getting Violet out of the scent, perhaps that's lending to the sweetness. It's interesting...after half an hour or so when I put my nose to my wrist I still smell strong lavender, but the scent cloud floating around me is almost like purple candy. Paperwhite is not one of my favorite florals, and so I'm very pleased that it doesn't seem to make much of an appearance on me.

I think this is a very adult, smoothing, elegant scent, but not particularly mournful. And now that I'm concluding the review, I'm just noticing that I'm starting to get whiffs of violet. It's an elegant purple, this scent. Maybe not for everyday, but really lovely.

Wet in the bottle I get a wallop of lavender.

Just on-Still a wallop of lavender, especially if I sniff my wrist but something must be wafting from my wrist because it blends into a sweeter concoction in the throw. Very ballanced between herbal and floral. I'm not sure what Balsam of Peru is but I suspect this must be grounding the other notes as this blend is heady but not flying all over the place floral.

Dry--Wow, this is just wonderful. The lavender is still there but it has fallen in the background some while something sweet and herbal, (violet ???) comes out to play. I love this one!

Reviewing this makes me sad, because I so badly wanted this to be a perfect violet-narcissus blend, but this so barely misses it's mark.

Initially- yes m'am, that is a wallop of lavender alright. A light, crisp lavender... it's hard to find anything else but lavender at first. A couple of minutes after application, it's like a single-file line: There's the balsam... oh! Aaaah. Narcissus. So pretty. Okay, now I'll just sit and wait for the lavender to calm down a bit.

Buuuuut it never happens. I have nothing against lavender, but I don't like it dominating. I want my powdery violet and fresh white flowers. :P If anything, the last fade-out is pretty... true, almost "sour" white flowers. It's just not exactally where I want it. To the sales page for this one.

ETA: Why is this so !#$&$@$%ing sour on me? I gave this a couple of weeks, because by note description I SO should have liked this, so I tested it once more. It went even worse than the first. I got this sour, dare I say it... dirty diaper smell. I've heard tales of the fabled "dirty diaper" smell, but never believed it would happen to me. So rarely do oils turn rank on my skin. I suppose I can't win them all. SIGH.

Edited by hipslike___cinderella

In bottle/imp: The feel of sharp lavender with a light breath of violet and white flowers.

Immediately on skin: This primarily seems to be light lavender and violet, but there’s also something sweeter there and creamy. This isn’t screaming-loud lavender though; it’s very soft and blends nicely with the violet.

After a little while: This has become a very sweet violet dominated scent, but I seem to do that with most violet blends. There’s still the smallest hint of lavender, as well as something slightly creamy, which I believe is the balsam of Peru and just a hint of narcissus/daffodil. There’s something slightly tangy in this, which I can’t really identify, but it’s the only thing really tempering the violet.

Overall Impressions: This is a very violet dominated blend on me, and while I love violet, I need something else with it and this blend just isn’t different enough. There are hints of the other notes, but the sweet violet mostly dominates it. There’s a hint of something slightly tangy and almost herbal, but it’s light and I don’t know which note it is that smells like that.

straight sniff from the bottle is a distinctly pretty floral...

difficult for me to pick any particular notes...

once applied the lavender bellies forefront and has an almost smoky quality to it :P

the lavender and violet notes are prominent on my skin making this a truly

beautiful and elegant perfume...love it :D

In the bottle this oil is very sharp, very heady - pure lavender jumps up and slaps you.

Wet - Lavender stomps all over anything else that might be trying to come out. Its difficult to not run to wash this off but I resist so that I can see/smell the end result

Dry - The lavender backs up a bit to let the violet come through. There is still something sharp here, maybe the balsam of Peru? I would have hoped it would have softened more. This scent is not for the weak of heart for sure. Not a keeper for me though.

In the imp: very sharp lavender, with a side order of sweet violet. Smells very strong and kinda scary to me.

On me, wet: this calms down instantly on my skin and the sharpness disappears. I get a base of soft crushed lavender mingling with sweet violet. The violet has a strange and almost boozy quality to it. It smells like i imagine violet wine would smell. Maybe the narcissus is what's adding the boozy smell, because i can't smell anything i identify as narcissus in this blend.

On me, dry: basically the same as wet. I'm two for two for consistency in Lupercalia blends! Still predominantly soft lavender with vaguely boozy violet. No discernible narcissus or balsam.

Throw and duration: throw's about average. Not sure on duration, but it's been a few hours and it's still going strong.

Overall: The boozy violet note, while kinda strange, actually smells quite good on me. It's nice alongside the lavender, too. Farewell is a gentle feminine scent on me. Pleasant and pretty without being overwhelming or too demanding. Not as astringent or ferocious as lavender can be. (At least, it isn't on me.)

I'll definitely keep my decant, but i don't think i'm going to go for a full bottle of this one.

Thank you, Sheyona for the decant. In bottle: Lots of lavender, a very intense spring smell. I suspect the balsam is making that oddish scent when mingled with lavender. Wet; it is easier to pick out the narcissus now. My Mother liked them, but until I smelled this, I’d forgotten their scent. It is still very lavender, with the balsam to give the whole thing weight. The violet is very gentle here. I keep thinking of toolsheds and crushed flowers and newly turned earth. Not quite my thing, but fascinating. Dry: Mostly violet floral perfume. It’s still more complex than a GV would be , but don’t bother unless violet is your thing.

In the bottle:

lavendar :P and a small hint of violets and narcissus. Slightly powdery but acceptably so.

On skin:

Lavendar still strong but the narcissus comes out a little stronger. I can also smell the balsam as a small woody scent in the background. reminds me of going walking in the woods in late march.

after an hour:

very soft, like a lavendar sachet in a clothes drawer.

in conclusion, i love it. i'm keepin this one.

the whole love poems series makes my soppy romantic heart swoon...i love the lab idea of purple scents for longing and maybe that is why i persisted in ordering this one even though i know bpal lavender is not nice to me.

wet, lavender dominates in that diaper ointment way. then it mixes with the balsam of peru to a subtle sweet lilt.

dry, lavender top note, balsalm bottom note to a barely there paperwhite sandwich. the balsalm/lavender mix is just too weird for me. it is not as floral as i would have thought, which is ok--i like surprises, but this one is to swap....

A Farewell to False Love

In the imp: heavy thick lavender. Maybe with some violet.

Wet on skin: lots of lavender, and something a little bit smoky.

Dry on skin: lavender incense and narcissus. The lavender in here is not a soft gentle type, but an intense and slightly soporific lavender like the ones in the sleep scents. it smells like it’s wrapped up in opium smoke, even though there’s no mention of that in the notes. The narcissus is definitely there, a crisp yet sophisticated scent which is slightly perfumey and slightly springy. I have no idea what balsam of Peru smells like but I think it may be what’s making this smell deep and smoky? I also smell a hint of violet, a gentle and pretty violet.

After a while: once the lavender fades, the scent is a bitter, melancholy narcissus. It smells a bit wilted and not as nice as it can be, but it lends an atmosphere to the scent. The violet is still there, but also not as strong as before. I think, underneath the narcissus, I smell what could be the balsam, it’s an interesting scent that’s a bit spicy, a bit smoky, a tiny bit sweet and almost incense-like but not quite.

Then the narcissus does something odd…it turns into a wilted scent which has a hint of cloying sweetness to it. I’ve not had narcissus do this before. It reminds me of what my skin does to lilac and plum blossom, only this time with a hint of dark smoky perfumey floral which has opium-like tones to it. It’s a strange scent and I’m not sure I like it.

Verdict: I’m not crazy about this one. The lavender intro was nice, with a smoky lavender incense scent with hints of the sweet violet note I like and some narcissus and balsam, but then when the lavender goes, the narcissus goes really odd on me…all bitter and wilted, like a dying flower. It’s a thoughtful scent, melancholy and dark, but I’m really not keen on what the flowers in here are doing, smelling like dead blooms on my skin. I’ll have to bid this scent farewell and pass it on to someone else.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Old Scratch, Gaueko, Kalaharantrika, Darkness, Melancholia

this starts out total lavender, but once the lavender fades a sweetness comes through that is slightly musky and creamy (perhaps the violet?). very soft, pretty and soothing. i will definitely keep my imp and may track down a bottle.

2013 version: i wanted to try this again and see what i thought. this time i don't really get much lavender at all, except way in the background, when i inhale deeply. this scent is very sweet and not in a violet way at all. i think maybe i am getting mostly balsam and narcissus actually. it smells very purple and sweet, very springlike.

Edited by theseagrows

A Farewell to False Love...begins with overpowering lavender, which doesn't last very long. It fades quickly to a soft floral. I was almost hoping the lavender would keep up in Farewell so I could use it as a bedtime scent (and HOARD), but it's just as lovely without. :P

A FAREWELL TO FALSE LOVE

In Bottle: Lavender

On Skin: Holy lavender BatMan!!! Very, very heavy on the lavender…. This scent is so interesting. First off, it’s not me… but it does intrigue me since it’s unlike any lavender scent I’ve smelled before. The violet does sweeten it a bit, but is pretty dwarfed… The balsam is herbal and adds to the very strong and almost medicinal feel of the scent. The narcissus is regal and proud, a floral not to be wilted… and then somewhere in the background I actually smell something smokey that really darkens the scent. That’s the odd part… but so interesting!! Anyway, a nice scent, just not one I’d wear. Medium throw and pretty long wearlength.

I had rather high hopes for this one, because I really love lavender and violet is often kind to me. This isn't the lavender-violet scent that I had in mind though. Something about this is very sharp and a tad soapy on my skin, like a very clean, sharply white floral perfume. The lavender and balsam hang around a bit at first, smelling sort of herbal and sharp. I favor a sweeter, smoother lavender type.

I'd say that this is more sharp, musky smelling white floral perfume on my skin than sweet violet and lavender...

I too get a blast of lavender upon initial application, but I was sort of expecting that. However, I was hoping for a nice "purple" scent of lavender, paperwhites and lilac. Instead, I get a very weird mix of lavender and balsam. I think I may need to just completely avoid Balsam of Peru in the future, as it's tanked a couple of scents for me at this point. The overall effect is very dry (like orris, almost) lavender--I feel like I'm breathing in dust! I think this is just another one done in by my skin chemistry. :P

Edited by The_Merf

I love lavender, but have never been a fan of violet scents, wasn't sure about balsam of Peru, so I this one could have gone either way.

Turns out, I quite like it. :P

There's a very strong, airy lavender at first, but soon the violet mixes into it, and then there's what must be the balsam base - sweet, round, a bit ambery almost.

On my skin this becomes a very dreamy, girly scent - it reminds me of something in a lush shop, softly floral and powdery in a nice way. The violet is quite noticable and seems to serve as the heart of the scent, but it works in here for me. I've worn it to bed twice, but I think I'd enjoy it as a day-time scent as well.

Possibly a bottle purchase, depending on funds.

ETA: Having worn it at day-time, it does go a bit light after a short while, to the point where I can hardly smell it, which is a shame as I like my scents to be there when I need them. :D

Edited by blu°

In the decant: lavender.

Wet: harsh lavender.

Drydown: lavender laundry detergent.

Alas! I wanted there to be discerable violet. I was looking forward to figuring out what balsam of Peru actually smells like.

No luck. I just get soapy lavender. Swappable, or a nighttime beddy-bye scent when my Nocturne runs out.

I was looking forward to this scent quite a bit, and I have to say that it's everything I expected.

Which is to say - Love It!

Narcissus, violet, and lavender! Yes please, thank you, I'll have some more. Add a touch (not overwhelming top note, I'm talking gentle wispy touch) of balsam and you've got me under the covers. Maybe for fun, now that I'm all relaxed and chill....Maybe I just fall into a restful, dreamy sleep.

I think I need summah.

Love!

4.7 out of 5

Thanks to a "mix and match" decant circle, I got to try this. Yay!

I was scared of the violet (although some of my favorites have violet in them, i.e. Wanda, violet is usually the floral kiss of death on me), but still wanted to try it. And...it starts out like this shrieking hiss of VIOLET (think the "feedback" part where Beth Gibbons is kind of screaming in the Portishead song Only You), and fades to a kinda nice, narcissus-y lavender blend. And it's okay, but not worth the first few minutes.

I can smell the lavender and balsam very strongly at first, but after a just a few minutes, they calm down and the violet and narcissus come out, making it a much sweeter scent. It mellows out quickly, the balsam retreating completely into the background and making way for the sweet flowers.

IN THE IMP: Strongly herbal-woody – a very cool, sort of “hollow” lavender, with the resinous balsam making it a very neutral scent.

ON THE SKIN: First few minutes are as in the imp; the soft, dry florals come out more afterwards. Not sure exactly what narcissus smells like, so I don’t know that I could pick it out, but it definitely becomes less herbal.

LATER: Powdery violet and a touch of resinous balsam. It makes me feel kind of fragile, as if I should be wearing a corset and vintage lace, but also old-ladyish. Will probably pass this on.. It’s certainly very elegant and understated, though! I wish the lavender hung around for longer, as I'm really looking for a lavender scent.

Farewell to False Love – I don’t generally like lavender and this is a predominantly lavender scent. In fact, when I first apply it, the lavender overwhelms everything else. After it dries down, the lavender fades a bit and I can smell the violet, which is soft, sweet, and slightly powdery. I would put this scent in the same category as Yvaine, given its lavender nature combined with the powdery violet. I occasionally think I can smell the narcissus, but can never really be certain. This is very much a skin scent on me and it doesn’t last long on my skin.