Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phantasmmysteria

The Spell of Amorous Love

Red currant, plum flowers, sake, green tea, and cherry blossom.

This one is really nice. It's floral and sweet, and rather innocent. I can't smell the current at all. It smells like I would think a warm spring night in Japan would smell. It's plum and sakura and green tea up front, with the sake rounding out the rear. Very very nice, one of my favorites. And it can hold it's own right next to that Vanilla Vulva Candle (See my review for Glowing Vulva).

love this!

the plum is yummy and the green tea comes after it. Strong green tea. This is probably one of the most prominent tea notes in a blend, in awhile. I usually am not a huge fan of plummy berry scents but this one is nice and compliments the overall concept. This whole series is a win for me.

This is bliss. It's soft but not faint, sweet but not gagworthy, green but still floral. Very multi-layered and my favorite of all the Shungas.

In the bottle it's quite fruity. On skin, it smells like some sort of bath bubble oil mousturizing something. It smells very blue-green, like some sort of aquatic-themed clear-bottled product from Bed Bath & Beyond. Drydown pulls out a fruitier scent.

Very light and fresh. Husband volunteered that it is "pretty".

I'm rather fond of this one.

In the bottle – Soft and fruity and mildly spicy

Wet on me – Soft creamy citrus notes

Dry on me – Faint slightly sugared, orange blossoms

Overall – Pretty but not me

Initial thoughts: With the salons, I tend to go either on the art, or rarely I get swept away by JUST the right notes. This one didn't do either, and I haven't a clue why, because re-reading those notes - apart from the sake, which I'm still skeptical on, and if the cherry blossom in this actually turns out to be almond I'm going to be a tad tetchy - but red currant, plum blossom and green tea sounds like the BEST oriental combination I could have asked for.

In the imp: Narry a hint of almond or alcohol twang! In fact, that's a sweet, juicy, fruity floral that's making me salivate just sniffing it. This is like being in a mixed orchard where some of the trees are fruiting while others are only in bloom (Not that that EVER happens in real life... curse you, seasons!). It's bright and joyous and run-down-the-street-barefooted exuberant. Quite appropriate, really. Never ceases to amaze me how Beth and the crew manage to capture the 'essence' of images into scents.

On the wrist, wet: Red currant candy and sweet blossoms. This is quite headily floral - in fact it's downright girly - which is making me tentative even though I really quite like it.

Twenty minutes later: This is definately fruity sweet, but the blossoms are VERY prominent and there's that barely detectable sake alcohol. It's light in tone, not in power, with a fairly hefty throw. I really, really like it, but it's not very 'me'. This is something I'd love to smell on a young woman, especially on a warm summer's day or at the beach, but I doubt I'll get much wear out of it.

Verdict: I'll keep the imp, but a bottle is not in my future.

Tl;Dr: A young woman's fragrance; sweet redcurrants and lots of heady flowering blossoms.

Extremely pretty! :D

I received this frimp from a wonderful seller!

Wet in Imp: Green tea and currant.

Dry on skin: Green tea, currant, and florals.

Complete drydown: refreshing green, currant tea. :lol:

:D I absolutely adore this scent and I am glad that I have the imp! :D

Finally bought a bottle! I am in love. :joy: :P :joy: :D

Edited by Dark Alice

In the bottle: Tea, floral, fruit.

Wet: Floral with an aromatic edge to it, and a bit of tea. It's like jasmine tea, only with another floral instead of jasmine.

Twenty minutes: Sweet, floral, a little cloying but in a non-Western kind of way.

One hour: Oooh, it's gone very subtle on me. I never have any luck with currant, black or red, but I was hoping for better with this one.

Three and a half hours: Still pleasant, subtle and unusual. I like this one but might wind up shopping it around.

Six hours: Over.

Wet: Wow. So when I opened the bottle, I immediatly got hit with the cherry, plum and red current. Oh man was it strong, Fruity and Floral goodness with exotic undertones. A very sweet and pretty blend.

Dry: I put it on and got some of the green tea to come out with the sweetness of the Fruit. A few minutes after it had dried, the Sake decided to come out to play, and I got steamrolled by a bitter smell like fermentation. That was not cool, it was bad enough I considered washing it off, only my rule of the First wearing of an oil must be worn till it is gone, saved this one.

Luckily my chemistry doesn't seem to care for sake and it managed to burry the sake under everything else after about 20minutes of sake ick. Now that the Sake is burried, the plum and cherry are dominating with just a touch of the red currant, and so we are back to goodness and sweetness. YAY!

I'm not sure I'd order another bottle, but I'll keep it in the rotation till it is gone or I decide to trade it...

Ok. Someone at a MnS gave me 3 or 4 Shunga decants, like, months ago. I just tried a few of them yesterday, and now I'm KICKING myself for thinking they were too expensive to buy when they were around. Because they're AMAZING.

Spell of Amorous Love is gorgeous. It's a bright, sparkling green tea scent, sweetened up by the fruit. It also takes on a slightly white-musky tone, which I adore. This scent is energetic and happy and addictive and utterly beautiful. I swear, Beth has magic in them hands...

Initial thoughts-> There's no strict deal breaking notes in this, but you never know. I'm particularly excited to see how the plum flowers and cherry blossom notes play out. I'm not usually a big fan of tea scents, but it seems like there's enough in this to keep the tea from taking over.

Imp-> Spoke too soon. The tea and I think the sake notes are prevalent here. The florals are but a faint hint in the background.

wet-> Goes very lemony the moment it hits my skin. I retried this over a few days and always on a different patch of skin and that's what I got every time at first. No hint of my plum flowers like I was hoping. As it dries though the lemony-scent which now that I think about it could possibly be the tea or something?

after a while-> The tart lemon scent has died down, and some fruity notes are starting to come through. It's a very light and faint scent. Slightly fruity and slightly powdery to my nose. Very pretty and delicate.

wet: very different than the rest of the Lupercalia; this is much crisper; I smell something dark, like chocolate or caramel; the currant and plum flowers are present and deep; not much cherry or green tea; perhaps the sake is giving it the edge

drydown: it's OK; just not what I expected;not as deep or complex or heavy as the rest of Lupercalia

The Spell of Amorous Love

OMFG. I want to drink this. But I won't. Probably. Cool, refreshing tea and cherry blossom. Slightly citrussy, but I think that's the red currant. The currant is wonderfully tart, but the cherry blossom gives it sweetness--like currants dusted with sugar. Incredible!

Oh my goodness! This scent is amazing!

At first whiff from the vial, it was insanely fruity with a little spice. Most probably the currants and the sake, which didn't grab me too much. Wet on me, it was still very fruity, cherry blossom slipping into the mix now. In the drydown, the cherry blossom came out so beautifully along with some tartness. I don't know where the tartness comes from but I'm glad it's there and taking the fruitiness down a couple notches.

I love it!

In the imp, I'm getting just about everything - red currant, sake, plum flowers, and cherry blossom. On my skin, this is mostly red currant, sake, and the flowers. Mmm. ...And it's gone. Huh. I've a feeling that sake has a tendency to kill a blend on me.

Edited by Venneh

Pretty and sweet. Starts out a bit tart but morphs to floral sweetness with a splash of tea.

And I can still smell it, faintly, 3 hours later. Soft and sweet.

Thoughts before testing: I've never tried a blend with sake and green tea before, but I like the rest of the notes. It should be interesting!

Wet: Strong red currant and only the barest breath of tea.

Dry down: Still strong red currant, but the cherry blossoms are starting to peek through.

Dry: The cherry and plum blossoms have made an appearance, but the red currant is still the dominant note.

Final thoughts: I enjoy the currant note in Fairy Wine, but not as much here. It's a little too much and too overpowering for the other notes here.

Verdict: Off to the sales box!

In bottle: boozy currant

Wet on skin: sweet plum-y tea

Dry:

First 10 minutes: why am I smelling fig? It's nice, but there's something about it that just screams FIG to me.

First hour: the fig settles back into the plum. Very nice. After about an hour, the plum fades away.

It's been 6 hours since I put it on, and it's this beautiful, long-lasting soft cherry blossom with just a hint of green tea. Gorgeous :wub2:

Whoa....fruity creamy sparkly. So pretty. So yummy.

It was almost overwhelming at first, but a few minutes into it it's calmed down and there's a neato boozy note.

It reminds me a bit of Water Snake, but the fruity smells are more purple than blue.

I'm totally in love.