Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Sea of Tranquility

Silver-dusted lotus, white amber, rose otto, passion flower, white sandalwood, buttonweed, and white poppy.

In the bottle: Dry, slightly sweet, spicy floral.

Wet: Very faint. Still dry, but less sweet, and there's a sparkling quality. The florals are classic and soothing, and a tad bit soapy.

Dry: The florals have faded a bit and the amber and sandalwood have really amped. Still that hint of sparkling quality, though, despite the dryness.

Summary: Dry, classic white floral

Meh. Dry, generic. Edited by Shollin

This started dark, yet mild, turned generic, and now is soft and dusty - that's the sandalwood, I think.

In the vial: Sweet floral with a spicy undertone. This smells wonderful to me.

Wet: The fruity element of the floral subsides immediately, but the sense of sweetness lingers as some floral with more of a pungent bite ramps up. I don't notice the rose, amber, or sandalwood at all, which is weird because usually those are the three notes that would dominate on me in a blend containing them.

Twenty minutes: This has settled down into something very close to "Black Lotus." I guess it's the lotus, amber, and sandalwood they have in common that's making me think that. Still can't make out the rose, which really surprises me. There is, however, another set of notes in there that I don't recognize, which make it much more ethereal and floral than "Black Lotus."

One hour: Still very delicious. The lotus and sandalwood dominate, with some other floral notes in the background. Can't make out much amber, and never did smell the rose. This is quite pleasant but doesn't work on me as well as "Black Lotus" does.

Two hours: The floral subtleties have died back now, and the amber has become noticeable. Where is the rose? Now it is lotus-amber with some sandalwood, very pleasant, but not a home run on me.

Four hours: Mostly amber now, with a little sourness I think is the remainder of the floral.

Sea of Tranquility is what would happen if Stardust and Jailbait had a baby who grew up to be a glamrock groupie on the Sunset Strip :lol: I can picture her with her big, beach-blonde hair and hot pink lipstick and lil silver lame' mini dress and "stripper" heels with glittery stars on them, as she teeters down the Strip under a full moon, worrying her mom & dad back home who were so wild back in the day!

Seriously, though- this is the only Lunacy I've tried that's worked on me! It smells like 2 of my favorites that seem to NOT be favorites of many others...but that's ok, more for me! I'm guessing that it's the lotus in this that's reminding me so much of Jailbait..it's got a fruity/bubblegum sweetness. I'll also venture to guess that the poppy (which gets translated into "Aquanet hair spray" by many) is what reminds me of Stardust.

This is a perfect "party" scent...I'll have to track down a bottle!

Edited by janelle_hell

Oh, Sea of Tranquility, you smell like sweet, incensey flowers, slightly rosey. It goes a bit powdery on the drydown, but I am amazed at how well behaved the lotus is on this one. Not candy like at all.

Nice!

In the decant, Sea of Tranquility is a pale, kind of resiny blend; I think I'm smelling the poppy first and foremost, here.

On my skin, this is a really silvery, resiny scent, and it's reminding me of something, I just can't place it... this is what Stardust smelled like on the drydown! It's a vaguely cologney scent on me. Like what I smell like after I hug my dad if he has his cologne on. Vaguely powdery, too.

Not really for me. Swaps/sales.

It smells fresh on me. Like my wrist got hit with a strong floral scented breeze. And like a wind, it is gone now. What? Was that gone in seconds?

The scent is close to other fruity ozone blends I have tried like Titania, Embalming Fluid or Queen Gertrude. Intense fresh almost fruity floral ozone scents. How about that for adjectives all strung together in one sentence? :)

The sad thing is, I love scents like this, but none of them last very long on my skin or even on my clothes or as a spray.

Edited by Madame Nyx

:::SEA OF TRANQUILITY:::

Some of the favourite floral notes from the Lab, from experience, are Passion Flower and Poppy.

Sea of Tranquility was stumbled across in a swap and when research revealed that this formula included both of those together, the thrill of the hunt ensued...

From the Bottle: Ah, yes... Both are there in all of their splendor, and so is... Amber!Mmmmmm!

The effect is akin to a jousting lance made of flowers/Amber ice cream that's been skillfully slipped up your nose from a full gallop! Delightful! There is the spectral, blue-white glow of Lotus too... Radiantly aquatic and insinuative of Lunar power.

The Sandalwood is a bit demure at this stage; you can tell that it's there, but it's like peering through a darkened window of a furniture store and seeing the gleam of outside lighting reflected from the polished surface than in is admiring the smooth craftsmanship in your hand.

Buttonweed, if a ton were hurled from a passing aeroplane and the chute failed to deploy, and it fell atop a float in a parade, would remain an unidentified note of mystery...

But, this is Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab we're talking about, so confidence is high!

Also a surprise was the Rose Otto. Ordinarily as subtle as sleigh-bells at a wake, it was just plain off-the-grid at this phase. Huffing until light-headed did nothing to modify the experience.

So far, Sea of Tranquility really is a beaut of a fragrance!

On the Skin: Wow! What an incrediblessing! Here is the Rose Otto and it is a magnificent binder with Passion Flower and Poppy. This is a striking floral blend!

The florals in Sea of Tranquility are a lovely fantasy brought to fruition by BPAL!

The boquet will have your entire skull buzzing in waves, as though by an ecstatic species of electrocution.

There is a profound, resonating depth to Sea of Tranquility.

The sensation is like a noiseless plummet through a snowbank miles deep...

The usage of "white" and "silvery" are brilliant descriptors for this fragrance.

Though it hasn't been included in the notes, it also smells as though there is a very clean, very subtle note of White Leather in Sea of Tranquility, similar to the note described in, "White Rider"... Perhaps this is because it is actually Sandalwood? And the similarity has sparked a suggestive relation?

Sea of Tranquility is clean, pure, and serene. This is a preposterously beautiful fragrance.

The Label artwork is also quite charming. The Woman with stars in her piled hair seeming to hold the Moon aloft is appealing in a classical way... Almost Art deco.

Sea of Tranquility is a divine and potent fragrance.

On Him, Sea of Tranquility is classic, iconic and elemental.

On Her, Sea of Tranquility is celestial, tragic, and immaculate.

Sea of Tranquility is a one of a kind fragrance that is one of the greats.

5 out of 5!!!

Easily an all-time favorite!!

Sea of Tranquility is definitely a grown-up scent, and it smells a little exotic to me. I do smell the Sandalwood quite a bit (my favorite), as well as the lotus. Despite floral notes, this is not a purely floral blend. There's something a little spicy but still calming about it. All in all, it's unbearably beautiful and absolutely amazing. I wish I had a dozen bottles.

Bottle: Lotus, greens (the buttonweed?), and warm, warm pale amber. Also a teeny waft of rose every now and again.

Wet: The green florals amp up, and reminds me of Holiday Moon.

Drydown: The amber makes a return, and the lotus takes a backburner. There's something almost plastic in this scent.

Dry: A very fresh, clean, floral-heavy scent. The amber is but a tint of warmth on the foundation of flowers.

My rating: 3/5 Very pretty, but not my thing.

Too floral and sharp for me. I was sure I'd get the usual bubblegummy sweetness from the lotus, but no, just pale flowers.

Bottle: Poppies and water. Poppies are a least favourite floral of mine (they smell like cough syrup to me... which... says a lot about me?) but they usually have a mercifully short wearlength. The water scent is like the scent of fresh, running water. It has potential, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Wet: O hai poppy. This also smells like it has some form of orchid in it. Maybe that comes from the passion flower or the buttonweed? Definitely smelling the sweetness of the rose. Smells sort of like a tea rose? Sandalwood is starting to go pleasantly dusty.

Dry: This dries down to a pleasantly complex rose/sandalwood combo. The lotus is adding a nice sweetness but I wouldn't ever call this a lotus blend. It's really a supporting note. The sandalwood is the star and it is absolutely gorgeous--incense-y but not headshop-y. Rose is sweet and subtle and lovely. The other notes, I only have the most tenuous grip on what they smell like (except for you, poppy. I have my eye on you) and they add a really nice complexity that I can't quite describe but can smell. This is lovely.

Throw: Actually pretty strong for a scent of this nature.

Overall: I like it. I happened into a bottle through a lot purchase but so long as I can forgive the funky drydown, this is definitely a great perfume. Very complex, adult and floral without screaming "HI! I'M A FLORAL!" I am fond.

Wet: Uh.. I applied this, didn't I? I have a tiny wet spot on my wrist.. but I can't smell ANYTHING.

Dry: Oooohhh, there it is. I would describe this scent as light, fluffy flowers. (I'm not sure how a flower can be fluffy, but it is.) This doesn't turn soapy on me at all, which is amazing. However... I was told I smelled like an old woman when I wore this, so I won't be holding on to the bottle. :blush:

I'd give this a 3/5.

I have no doubt that this would smell amazing on the right person!

This is soft dewy moonlit lotus in its pond on me first and foremost. There are breaths of other florals and some soft background of wood and resin, but only in the sense that this feels like the lotus pond is in a well tended garden.

This is beautiful and peaceful, and the lotus is not at all the candy like lotus note that sometimes happens. I'm definitely going to keep this bottle in my rotation of soothing scents.