Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
TygherRayn

Honeysuckle

How odd that this didn't have a review yet!

Anyway, thank you Q'spice for the gift of a little impy of this, as it really is one of my favorite florals. And like everything else, Beth doesn't disappoint. This is perfectly true to its namesake .. this is the smell of the honeysuckle growing on the side of the road in the house Jason used to live in .. it's just a sweet, comforting smell that really just makes me cuddly and happy, maybe because it's one of the first 'Southern' things I was introduced too. Didn't have honeysuckle up North!

Edited by Shollin

My only experiance with this was standing by a huge bloody bunch of it in New Orleans.

I'm happy to say this is a dead ringer and unlike a lot of the honeyscukle blends I've smelled over time, there is nothing synthetic or alcoholy about this at all. Pure, sweet, light flora. It's a key note that stands out for me now and is absolutely lovely. I will at the very least keep an imp of this around if not a full bottle as it's simply and elegantly beautiful.

ooh, this is nice! it smells just like honeysuckle (we've got plenty here in northern calif.). I don't know if it's something I would wear much as it's pretty light, bright, flowery (and lovely) and I'd like to have a bit more edge... but it's sure nice to have the imp and it smells divine! how do they do it?!

WOW. I *love* you, NorthernMinx!! Said wonderful person included a half-imp in our swap, and I would never have ordered it for myself...I would have missed out rather severely.

I don*t know the actual flower very well, but oh, bright stars, I LOVE this. Just yummy and softly floral, and it clings so very nicely... I must have a big bottle immediately and look into blends with honeysuckle. YUM!

One of the reason's Beth makes such wonderful scents is because her single notes are absolutely beautiful and true. Starting with these oils enhances Beth's amazing talent to something even bigger and better, and the single note in Honeysuckle is no exception.

This particular single note is almost over the top in it's accuracy and beauty. Honeysuckle is a strong fragrance coming out of the flowers, and here it's brought to its essential beauty and magnified with concentration. I don't mean that it isn't perfect - it is! - but that bringing it down to this pure state makes it even larger than life. It's not cloying or too much, but it's absolutely magnificent because it's so perfect and untouched that nothing else gets in the way of what it is.

If you're a fan of honeysuckle, try to get your hands on an imp of this. Not only will it last you forever, you'll revel in it.

Honeysuckle

This is blooming honeysuckle in a bottle. I cannot believe how perfect this scent is! I have honeysuckle all along our fence, and smell it all the time, this is it. Gorgeous!

Wow, I really DO have a strange nose.

I have honeysuckle on a small arbor in my yard and I LIVE for when it blooms (sadly not often). But my Honeysuckle imps is only OK, and it doesn't smell like the flowers to me.

The imp has a definite honey sweetness to it, which I actually do NOT smell in the flower. And it dries to that sweet "bathroom cleaner" smell that I've gotten from a few blends -- maybe this is a the culprit. It's not unpleasant, but not what I want to smell like.

Honeysuckle

This is floral-honey. I can almost taste the honeyness at first, and then it becomes more floral. I'm not familiar with the actual honeysuckle flower, so I can't compare, but this is a pretty, sweet floral scent.

at first: a wonderful, fresh floral.

on: more perfumey, but simply gorgeous. a sweet, fresh floral.

1.5 hours later: i love this. it's just like smelling a freshly-picked flower.

3 hours later: still wonderful.

overall: this is a great floral scent. i'll enjoy using my imp.

120241256.jpg

BPAL blends which use honeysuckle as one of it's ingredients:

Anathema, Bearded Lady, Chimera, Chiroptera, Eos, Juliet, Lolita, New Orleans, Shanghai, Twilight.

Thanks to my friend Brumbjorn here on the forum for allowing me the opportunity to smell this.

In the bottle

wink.gif

On

It's definitely a honeysuckle smell of course. It's almost jasmine like it's so rounded and feminine. In the background is a light and even a bit powdery or dusty scent as they are sometimes when you inhale deeply in the center of the flower.

30 minutes

Stays so true and doesn't fade for a long time, literally hours. The dusty smell is gone and it's not as strong but it's still recognizabley honeysuckle.

Throw:

a wee bit more than average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

It's not too strong at all, nor is it a weakling in strength as a single note floral goes.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

EDIT: Merged with existing thread --Shollin

Edited by UltraViolet

First sniff: Honeysuckle. White and yellow blossoms growing rampant, tumbling down the length of a fence in summertime in the South. Pure, luscious honeysuckle.

Wearing: Sunwarmed summer heaven… the scent that lures you to pick the little flowers and put them in your mouth and suck the nectar out of the end, ignoring that Mom-voice in your head nagging you that you don’t know where that flower has been. It’s fresh, it’s sweet, it’s clean. If I had more than the implet I’d try to figure out how to make a linen spray out of this stuff – I can imagine curling up in a nest of honeysuckle-scented sheets in early summer, and it’s giving me happy shivers.

To sum up? I LOVE THIS. cupide430, you are on my happy list forever. :P

I always hesitate in reviewing any single notes. I feel like the scents are pretty self explanatory and since they're not widely available anymore... I dunno. I guess that I generally just don't have a lot to say where single notes are concerned. I digress.

I like the smell of true honeysuckle flowers, but honeysuckle perfume never manages to work out on me. It always smells too strong and perfumey to the point of giving me a headache. Floral perfumes are not my friends.

That said, honeysuckle single note does start out that way on me. Perfumey and horribly strong/smoky, actually reminding me more of jasmine in the beginning. In the drydown this takes a lovely turn though. It truly smells like real honeysuckle flowers. It gets considerably lighter and in my mind I keep thinking that it smells like sunshine. Definitely a happy, bright floral. Sweet and playful.

This is one of the few floral scents that doesn't give me a pounding headache. Very pretty, a floral that I could actually wear from time to time.

In Bottle: This smells almost exactly like honeysuckle flowers on a bush, only stronger. I used to have a honeysuckle bush in the courtyard of the apartment complex where I was living. I used to cut off a branch with blooms and put it in a vase in the livingroom. My husband would always remark on how good it smelled, and that is significant because he usually hates anything floral. I bought this single note imp from the Lab right before the single notes were discontinued, because I had been on a long quest to find true honeysuckle and been sourly disapointed at every turn, until now.

Wet: Tames a bit but is still quite strong. Honeysuckle is a slightly sweet "white" floral, to me. It does indeed smell exactly like the blossom although still much more concentrated. Now I will have to find a lab fragrance that is mostly honeysuckle, so that I can hord this imp.

Dry: Tamer and more realistic now, this is true honeysuckle. If they were still available from the lab, I would get a bottle of this.

Please Beth, give us a mainly honeysuckle scent with just a touch of something else, such as perhaps resins and a spice. Pretty please? :P

Very soapy! I don't know why, but I was expecting a tinge of "honey-ness" to honeysuckle, even though obviously it has nothing to do with honey. This is a very sharp, strong floral that continuously reminds you "hey, I'm here!" The soapy quality is kind of making me wrinkle my nose. I think I might eventually trade or sell this off, but I'll try it at least once more before I decide.

I can't believe I haven't posted my review here yet...

Keeping in mind that I wrote this for my own notes the first time I wore this, and was reminded of this when I was reviewing another scent.

In bottle: Yellow oil. Bright, golden yellow. Very potently sweetened floral. Not exactly honeysuckle scent at this point... more like a sugary version of honeysuckle taste. (Please tell me I'm not the only one who ate honeysuckle blooms as a child.)

Wet: Still sweeter than honest-to-goodness honeysuckle, with an odd edge to it that I can't quite place. It's entirely possible the oil is going off; it is six years old and floral notes tend to be more fleeting. Still wearable, however, and I do see how one would call this honeysuckle.

Dry: Oh. Oh wow. This isn't just the flower, this is the whole darn plant. That odd edge I caught in the wet stage has fully resolved itself into a soft, green background. Meanwhile, the overly sweet tone has burned itself off, leaving nothing but a strong, very true honeysuckle scent. I'm reminded very strongly of the honeysuckle bush in my Granny's backyard when I was little, and sitting nearby while playing because it smelled so pretty. I do not remember much of anything else about her house except the backyard, with the honeysuckle bush right up against a chain link fence, so this is quite the treasured scent for memory alone. Even without that, though, I loves me some honeysuckle.

I will say that after multiple wears, it has some extreme lasting power and takes but a drop to scent me all day. It's gotten to be quite potent over the years.

The honeysuckle SN on me, wet is very sweet. It's honeysuckle + sugar amped up. As it dries, it becomes less sweet and prettier, and more delicate. Very floral, feminine.

Unfortunately for me, there's a "fake" overlay to it that makes me think of Barbie dolls.

Origin: Obtained in a swap

Initial Thoughts: I found BPAL mere weeks after the original selection of single notes was discontinued and have been lucky enough to collect a small selection of sniffies/decants/imps over the years. Honeysuckle has long been a treasured note of mine and finally getting to sample this one, an original tarted imp, is a little dream come true.

In the Vial: Heady sweet honeysuckle, just like burying my face into a pile of blossoms.

Wet: A touch of green comes in, which was the only thing needed to make this smell like fresh-on-the-vine honeysuckle.

Drydown: The green warms up and it goes a bit soapy-clean, but is still bright honeysuckle.

Verdict: While it is a bit soapy on me, I am very glad to have this rare gem.