Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Velvet

Envelop yourself in the soft, sensual embrace of gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh.

In imp: peanut butter and body odor?!!?

On, wet: Chocolate with a hint of woods. Nice.

Near and far drydowns: Wow, just WOW! It changed into something fabulous, and I almost didn't even want to try it after sniffing it in the imp. It's spicy and incensey and woodsy, with just a hint of sweetness - bottleworthy for sure.

I'm so excited to find something that smells better on me than in the imp, since I've had so many experiences that went the other way.

I ordered a bottle of this because of what everyone was saying about it. I had every intention of putting it away to age for at least six months. But first I would try it just to see the difference between new and old. I haven't received the new yet but someone gave me a very aged imp of Velvet and it is lovely! It smells like a chocolate angel food cake in the imp-just yummy. :D Once applied it is cocoa and vanilla with a little incense/musk aroma to it -but just a hint to make it interesting. It is very smooth-just like the name implies. Now I know what to expect from the bottle. It stays put away it a dark cupboard until it comes out smelling like this. :P

I got a bottle of aged Velvet thanks to naughtyblonde :P

I had tried a lab fresh imp of this last year and hated it. Very strong Sandlewood and zero chocolate, it turned nasty on my skin. I read posts about aging this one, and took a chance swapping for an aged bottle of it.

What do I think now?? Age your Velvet!!! WOW :D it is so completely delish on my skin now. The Sandelwood is there, but it is tempered by a richer deeper chocolate and the Myrhh just adds a twitch of sexy skinscent. This is truely a bed tumble worthy scent!

I'm now a Velvet convert... yummy. :D

Source: Imp

Initial Impressions I was so pleased by the Bliss scent, that I had to get Velvet to try it out.

Bottle: Warmer than Bliss, and not as spicy. I can smell the vanilla beneath the slight muskiness

Wet: Mmm, so delicious. I can’t smell anything but the cocoa vanilla and it’s wonderful. It makes me want a chocolate sundae! There’s something just a bit bitter about it; maybe that’s the other two elements?

Drydown: Still smells the same; I can’t smell any sandalwood or myrrh. Maybe that’s just the way it is on my skin?

Dry: Still smells the same! I’m really happy since this was what I was hoping for. Scents that change as they dry are generally a bit of a disappointment in regards to the final scent on my wrist after a couple hours of drying. But, yay, Velvet isn’t like that!

Overall: I think I may like this better than Bliss… it really smells like chocolate vanilla with just the faintest hint of wood (sandalwood), but a bit more bitter than Bliss. It’s definitely a dark chocolate scent as opposed to Bliss, which is a bit odd since it has vanilla in it. But love it, love it, love it!

Oooooh, in the bottle this is pure creamy cocoa and vanilla with a touch of spice...

When worn, this ends up really retaining the rich, decadent chocolately smell for a while, then mellowing out to a more musky scent when the Sandalwood finally seems to make an appearance.

I don't wear this myself, but do keep a bottle of this around for my daughter to wear sometimes. It makes her smell irresistably yummy!

In imp: very heavy on the sandalwood, hopefully the prettier scents will come out stronger on skin. Still, kinda like an old blanket that smells a little funny but is too comfortable not to snuggle up in.

Wet, on skin: ugh, it's just not getting any better. It just smells musty and old, but not in a good way.

Drydown: less abrasive, but this might just be a swapper. Too bad.

Dry: definitely not for me. Getting softer, but no better.

sidenote: I made my sister smell it, and she likes it. She couldn't figure it out, either, but she said she'd actually wear it, so giving it to her. After seeing so many suggestions to age it, I'll check back with her in a couple months and see if she has any left for me to try again :P

I got an imp of this in swaps and was very sad. All the lovely cocoa and vanilla and sandalwood somehow turned into acrid cedar. I don't like cedar at the best of times, and I certainly don't want to walk around smelling like a hamster cage. Quite the little heartbreaker, aren't you, Velvet? You're just going to have to go away to the back of a drawer for a few months until you've grown up and learned that other people have feelings, too, and then we'll see if you can play nicely.

The first time that I tried this it was aged and it was a deep, warm, chocolatey sandalwood on me.

I then tried it fresh and got a bit more of the cocoa and a much more gentle sandalwood; I still don't really get any vanilla from it though. It is like a woodsy chocolate. Very pretty.

I'm still not sure which I like better fresh or aged, but either way I love this one!

I have an aged imp of velvet.

The first time I used it I don't remember being that impressed. I wasn't dissappointed either it just didn't wow me.

I wore tigerlily and wanted to sweeten it up so I added velvet and after about 30 mins I smelt fresh wine-grapes.....It lasted all day. I smelled fantastic. so I love velvet now!

I tried Velvet after a less than pleasant experience with Saw Scaled Viper.

In the imp - this was light and sweet with a hint of nut this was troubling as that was what had disagreed with me in SSV but after reading reviews I see that a few people get nut too

Wet - some chocolate/cocoa coming through with maybe a hint of floral

Drydown - first the chocolate stays with a base of wood pencil shavings come to mind. After about half an hour the vanilla muscles in to cream with the chocolate and the wood settles to a faint base. I'm beginning to like this more than Bliss which has a high note that makes my nose wrinkle.

Velvet stays creamy/chocolate/wood all through its wear and is quite long lasting as a skin scent. It's not 5ml material but I'll definitely keep my imp for when I want to indulge in something foody!

Velvet - 9/10

In the bottle: Rich, raw chocolate, with something behind it. Initially slightly off putting, and, oh-the-shame slightly mouldy smelling!

Wet: Rich chocolate, and the mouldering smell has gone. Something incensey behind it, which'll be the sandalwood, but the two seem to be in a nice balance. I can smell a lovely, warm fug of chocolate all round me.

Later: An hour and a half later, and the chocolate has faded to a background sweetness, and now the sandalwood is strong. I can see where one of the forum reviewers was getting pencil shavings from, but I like the sandalwood.

I like this one. I'm new to BPAL, so don't really have a bottle list yet, but I think this is a contender! Definitely not going in the swapbox! I think that between this and Jailbait, I've learned the importance of skin chemistry :P

If you like sandalwood, and to a lesser degree chocolate, do not hesitate to try Velvet. This is an amazing scent!

Through all of the stages, Velvet is a warm and fuzzy embrace of sandalwood and dry cocoa. It's cocoa that's fairly close to being unsweetened, so don't expect it to smell like Bliss. The cocoa definitely takes a backseat to the sandalwood on me, and it isn't sugary, so it could be a great foody-ish scent for the non-foody people. I agree that it's a little nutty. I also can see how it goes to pencil shavings on some people, but thankfully it doesn't on me. It's warm, rich, and creamy from beginning to end, without the sugary sweetness of most chocolate/cocoa blends. I think it's a great comfort scent, and I can't wait to get more.

In imp: Cocoa vanilla.

Wet: Cocoa vanilla, oh my. Is this going to go foody?

Drydown: No, it's going to go OMG! myrrh. Yeek! What are all these notes doing together?

After a bit, though, the myrrh recedes to a faint nuttiness, and the strongest notes are the sandalwood and, in a close second place, the cocoa vanilla. This isn't the kind of foody that a Monster Bait/Enraged Mammal Musk fan would want; it is, in point of fact, quite sensual -- a great evening scent. I hope this remains a GC staple.

In the bottle: Mmm, choc'n'nut something. Maybe brownies.

On the wrist: The scent becomes slightly less edible, and the sandalwood really shows through. There is a hint of musk, as well (presumably from the myrrh), that makes it almost smoky for a while.

One hour later: Bitter cocoa and sandalwood, slightly musky, vanilla showing only in a hint of leavening sweetness. It's unusual and beautiful. Oddly, it doesn't smell edible, though as time passes it does seem to become more 'chocolatey'. I could wear this all day...

(This was actually the first scent I ordered a proper bottle of after trying the imp!)

This was a very weird combination of scents for me, as chocolate and vanilla scream FOOD! and myrrh and sandalwood equally loudly scream NOT FOOD! In the end I was too confused by it and had to swap it LOL. This captures the concept really well though -- it's a heavy, draping, slightly fuzzy scent.

After BLWB broke me of my initial foody-phobia, I've been trying to initiate myself into the foodier (but not too foody) scents and Velvet was one of the blends I really wanted to try. I was going to order an imp of it from the lab with my next order, then saw a bottle on sale on the forums and thought 'serendipity', so I grabbed it.

I do believe this is aged - its in a blue bottle.

In the bottle, I can see where someone got peanut butter from this. Its weird, and it is kind of nutty. Now, I might be ready to try some foody scents, but I don't think I want to smell like peanut butter.

On, wet. This is everything I hoped it would be and more. Its mostly cocoa and myrrh on me, but its blended in such a way that the cocoa doesn't smell like food and the myrrh doesn't smell like resin, its just a soft, sultry, drown-in-me kind of aroma.

As it dries, the vanilla begins to whisper sweet nothings but doesn't really assert itself, just sweetens the mix a little. The notes blend so well - who'd a thought it? Its just a smooth, rich, bittersweet aroma. I can see where others find it comforting, but to me its more langorous, like the sleepy, intimate afterglow of sex.

I'll admit that since receiving it, I've pretty much been pouring it all over myself.

My niece, however, doesn't like it. She told me it smells like old people.

Well if this is how old people smell, then book me a room at the nursing home, please.

I'm definitely happy to have a bottle, and will likely buy another from the lab to age until I finish off this one (which will probably be next week at the rate I'm going). I also think I may be ready to try one of the all-singing, all-dancing, all-food all-the-time scents.

Maybe.

This is how I could imagine Vianne Rocher from Chocolat smelling. :D

To me it is very sensuous, a playground of dark chocolate swirls and a touch of cream with some spice and sex appeal thrown in for good measure. This is not as foodie as I was worried it would be. I have a bottle of aged Velvet and there is not much left now :P If you are worried about foodie scents then don't worry, just try this if you can. It is rich, sweet without being sickly and damn delicious!

I had such high hopes for this one, but my skin just hates sandalwood.

I was hoping that this would basically be cocoa with sandalwood and myrrh for balance. Sounds wonderful, right? It starts out pretty. It's cocoa with prickly sandalwood and a touch of spicy myrrh. About 5 minutes later, it's almost nothing but sandalwood, with a touch of myrrh. There a smidgen of cocoa lurking in the background, but definitely nothing too noticeable.

Sandalwood takes over everything on my skin, and then quickly fades away to nothing, which is exactly what happened here. I don't think it made it 10 minutes. Ah well.

I layered Bliss over it, and so far, that's actually quite nice. Because it's separate, the chocolate note has much better staying power and is mingling in equal measure with the sandalwood. NOW it smells like I hoped Velvet would! I fear the myrrh is lost to the sandalwood. I can't really pick it out, except on a long, deep breath, but I think it's helping to make it a little bit richer.

Velvet starts out with decent throw but fades to nothing right away. The layered combination only has light throw, at best. I haven't had it on long, but based on past experience with cocoa and sandalwood, I figure this will have somewhat shorter than average life and stay close to the skin.

So, if Velvet doesn't work for you, try layering with Bliss! I'll also give this a go in the locket. I don't think I'll be getting 5ml, but I think I'll keep the imps.

I wanted to try this for a long time (thanks evilmistressoftoast, for giving me the chance!). Sometimes I'm not sure if I want to smell like chocolate or cocoa, but I do love sandalwood and myrrh does often work well for me. And I like Wulric a lot, so cocoa absolute seems to agree with me. I'm not sure what the distinction 'cocoa vanilla' means.....but I might be over-analyzing. Just try the dang thing!

Velvet was kind of a disappointment somehow, even though it smells pretty much like I thought it would. I don't know why it's not knocking my socks off......something about it is a little too powdery (myrrh does that to me sometimes), a little dusty and dry, just not 'wow'-ing me. It's not terrible, though, and I'm glad I read the 'aging bpal' discussion, because now I want to hold onto this and try it again in a few months. It is very smoothly blended and I couldn't tell the notes apart really, except the sandalwood seemed to emerge more as the scent dried and faded.

So....a rather inconclusive review I'm afraid. I can see why people like this a lot. And I could see it growing on me. But I won't be hunting down a bottle.....at least, not right away.

Since I'm wearing it today, it's a good day to catch up on my review, eh?

Velvet goes on smooth (like you'd expect). It's more notably 'wood' to my nose when wet, but as it dries that fuzzes into soft, warm chcolate-hazed vanilla. A little sweet, a little soft, a little bit of an edge - and I think the myrrh lends some extra sensuality.

This is quite my cup of tea cocoa.

Ahhhhh, VELVET! I LOVE VELVET!

in the bottle: Smells like brownie mix from a box! Yummmm!

wet: Still smells like a brownie.

dry down: I'm starting to smell more of a powerdy scent here. Weird. Chocolate/powder. But in a good way.

1/2 hr. dry down: Smells like a freshly bathed baby dipped in chocolate. Mmmmmm, babies.....Mmmmmm, chocolate! Who doesn't love babies and chocolate?

completely dried: Chocolate smell is gone. Replaced by powder with a little anise in the background. Different but in a good way. The top notes remind me of expensive perfumes but the underlying powder cheapens it a bit, which I like. Really different and like nothing I've smelled so far.

I would like to add a brief addendum to my last post, and maybe someone else has had this experience:

As I'm working at my desk I keep getting whiffs of cocoa coming from the hand that I swiped the Velevt onto. Deep, dark, delicious cocoa. Based on that alone, I'd definetly wear this again and frequently.

I'm a bit on the fence with Velvet.

The cocoa note is strong when wet, but that soon fades as the sandalwood takes over. I love sandalwood, but I'm actually not too sure whether I particularly like it with cocoa.

It settles down when dry, and the cocoa picks up a bit again, and the softening of the sandalwood is much nicer. The myrrh (which I am just *waiting* to turn on my skin) seems to be behaving here, and adds quite a lot to the other two notes. I'm enjoying this stage.

Overall I'm not sure. I think this is an imp I'll let age, then try it again. Right now it's nice, and if the myrrh holds out on me, I'll definitely hang onto it.

In the imp and fresh on me, it's pure milk chocolate. Very soon, it gives way to something I can only describe as "fuzzy." The cocoa smell is still there, but there's a hint of the vanilla and myrrh giving it depth. The sandalwood is very prominent on me and gives it a good hint of the "fuzzy" feel. Occasionally it moves up into a sort of effervescent feeling. Velvet just makes me feel so warm and loved and happy, I love it.

Wet- I smell vanilla with mabey just a hint of cocoa.

Dry- Ok, I think the sandalwood is coming out. The scents are mixing in a way that makes me think of the poshest dessert ever. Its creamy and vanilla and chocolate but in a very almost elegant way. It smells like something you'd pay through the nose for at an expensive French restaurant and then have a mini orgasm in your mouth every time you took a bite. Or it might be the creamiest best tasting hot chocolate you've ever had. Geez, its making me crave something creamy and chocolate. This could be bad. Its also pretty relaxing though and might be fun to wear just around the house.

Later- vanilla with the barest hint of sandalwood left

Definitely like it!

Imp: Chocolate-y...

Wet: Nutty chocolate and it reminds me of another scent...like Sybaris.

Dry: Softer than Sybaris, but still in the same vein for me. I think there's probably a shared note that my skin is amping. Oh well.