Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The Fruit of Paradise

The Fruit of Paradise, the Nectar of Death: bittersweet pomegranate.

The perfect pomegranate scent. Lush and tart, with a hint of sweetness. It's a skin scent that lasts all day. Lovely for the months where Persephone's getting it on in Hell.

2007 version

Tart, juicy red pomegranate. More tart than any pom fruit I’ve tasted, but I still like it. I also catch a little spice, which seems like allspice and/or nutmeg. Pretty.

Medium throw and wear length.

The Fruit of Paradise 2007

In the Bottle: Sweet, tart pomegranate SN

Wet: Fruit of Paradise is an incredibly underappreciated blend. Ruby red seeds crushed into a delicious juice. I can’t get over how exquisite the pomegranate note in this smells. It’s not candylike at all but it needn’t be- bittersweet, tart, faint traces of warm spice. It was in my first round of scents ordered from a decant circle and I loved it so much, I gifted a bottle to my twin. Even though it’s a gently sweetened and fruit-centric, there’s a deeper undercurrent of sinister darkness implied. It’s bold, sexy, and alluring- tempting, even.

Drydown: There is little to no morphing here- other than it picking up more darkness to ground it- Something akin to a spice or incense, it gets a little muskier and deeper, richer, fruitier… buh.. IT’S SO GOOD. I cannot fathom why this scent never gained momentum or collected the hype it deserved, but that’s okay. Some treasures aren’t meant to be spoilt to those unwilling to find it.

TL;DR: Bittersweet, tart, ruby red pomegranate juice

Edited by celestia

Do I smell cinnamon? Allspice? 

In the bottle, it is all tart and fruity, and then on my skin I can't smell anything but cranberry and spice. I will have to try this again on my clothes tomorrow and see what happens. As of now, it smells close to a christmas decorative wreath on my skin.

Update as of 2020: I have jumped in head first to a bunch of fruit scents, so I thought I'd try this again, over 2 years aged. I still smell the smallest bit of warm spice, but there is a sparkly, tart finish to the fruit in this, maybe even a smidge of amber? Time has really done this one well... it is gorgeous and no longer like a holiday wreath! I am glad I was patient with this as it will be so great at the holiday season. Thinking about layering this with my cherry and fig imp for a tart party!

Edited by Madame Mew

2017 version. Pom notes can be overly sweet on me, but this is perfect. Sweet and tart, bright and deep, and it stays true for a long time. No throw, but I rarely get throw from anything. Pomegranate is inherently a richer, darker fruit than, say, apple or peach, and this is a beautiful incarnation of it.

Decant with no date on it. Inherited from Soupy Twist so probably 2007, but I have a 2017 decant on the way so I will compare and edit this when it arrives.

In the imp: Pom! Sweet tangy pom arils, freshly crushed.

Wet: The pom is a bit more bitter now, in a lovely way. I do detect a hint of Christmas craft-store spices, mostly cinnamon, but it's at a level where it won't give you a migraine. It's more the platonic ideal of Christmas potpourri.

Dry: I've finally figured out more precisely what I'm smelling: the most amazing mulled cider, made with pomegranate instead of apples.

Light throw. Doesn't last super long on me but I'm okay with reapplying something this yummy.

UPDATE: 2017 decant has had time to rest, so let's compare. It's less sweet and less craft-store, more of a pure pomegranate smell. It's also significantly weaker. I like it a little bit better and hope it ages into more strength!

Edited by Juliamon

2017 version: this is sweet & delicious without being overpowering. I imagine this would be great to layer with other scents. 

Why I bought this: lab freebie
Wet: VERY STRONG SWEET JAMMY FRUIT. I'm not sure I'd peg this smell as pomegranate exactly. I don't know that I have a strong scent association for pomegranate, but if I do, I think of it as less sweet than this.
Dry: This is a single-note of whatever sweet fruit this is. I can't say it's a scent I need to hold onto, but I'm glad I tried it.
Update: My wife hated the lingering traces of this, which lasted ages. It went a bit sour. Oh well.

Unsure of the year of my decant. If I had to guess, 2007?

Powdery, and sort of a soapy clean pomegranate. When I first applied it, there was a type of burnt note? Shocked me and I'm not sure why I got that but it luckily did not last long.

I'd much rather have a different pomegranate oil, this doesn't seem very accurate to the fruit in my case. It's very artificial.