Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
filigree_shadow

Vampire Tears

Regret born from ceaseless longing: wisteria, white grapefruit, neroli, green tea, jasmine, white ginger, honeysuckle, iris, and tonka.

This is what Schrodinger's Cat should have smelled like! (At least in my opinion.) It's a contradiction: I smell baked concoctions, something like fresh fruit, but it all melds together into the most gorgeous, happy smell (well, I suppose a fifty percent alive and fifty percent dead cat couldn't smell that good). This easily slips into my Top Ten.

On me, Vampire Tears is just citrus over green tea. It's nice but not what I was hoping for. I'll age it and see if it improves.

In the bottle I get some type of cherry candy and almond ... I have no idea where this is coming from.

On my wrist, the cherry candy overpowers everything else until it turns into cough syrup and stays that way until it fades.

Too bad, I really liked the idea of this one. :P

Full disclosure: This is not something I would have ever bought for myself (too fruity in the description). It was a freebie in my latest order.

In the imp and wet it smells like jellied candies. Like jelly orange slices. Sugary and sweet and fruity. And at the end of my sniff there's something warmer, almost buttery (the tonka?). Like buttered-popcorn flavor Jelly Bellies. I really like sugary and sweet, and I'm not sure how I feel about smelling like fruit. (Or popcorn flavored candy?) I seem to go back and forth on that.

As it dries, it stays sweet (my skin chemistry looooves the sweet) but becomes less like a candy and a tad more floral (very light), with the tea underneath. *sigh* I should just start ordering anything with tea in it! Everything with tea smells good to me!

This is, surprisingly, a keeper. Who knew? :P

Hmm, this was a freebie with my last order. Not really high up on my list of things to try but it we'll give it a shot, I do love me some Grapefruit.

Wet: Clean, crisp and fruity, purhaps a little sharp, a bit like under ripened fruit.

Dry: Ugh, I still get some of the crisp fruitiness but I'm getting something else (I'm thinking the Jasmine) that's turning it into pure stank on me. Bah! DO NOT WANT!

Rating: 3/10

Off to swaps with you my friend.

Vampire Tears smelled very strong and herbal to my nose, almost like grass, even though that's not in the notes. A little sharp for me, but appropriate to its name. It evokes throwing oneself onto the grass and crying!

I first got this as a frimp from the lab. I never would have given it a chance otherwise.

In the imp: Ooooooh...are you sure I can't drink this? It's sort of like butterscotch.

On me: Still kind of butterscotch, with a touch of fruit. Very light; I have to slather to be able to smell it after an hour.

I wore it every day, layering it with other oils until it ran out. I was sad. :( So I ordered a 5ml! :D Love

--Josephine

(Edited for name change)

Edited by RaasAlHayya

In the imp this smelled very sweet, but I thought I'd give it a chance anyway. On my skin it went from buttery bubblegum to lemon Pledge to cherry Nyquil and none of these scents is something I want to smell like.

Edited by lainevierge

This was another frimp from the Lab with my last order. I'd ordered a bottle of it before I got the frimp and, I must admit, on first try I regretted ordering it.

Now though... I've tried it a couple of times and either it or my nose has changed. It won't ever be in my top 10, I don't think, but I'm glad there's a bottle on the way now. It WILL be used. This will definitely be a daytime scent for me, and it loses its strength a lot more quickly than I'd like - fading to nothing in a couple of hours at the most. But I like it. I do.

In the imp it's a warm, sweet smell - almost foody. I don't know what it is, but there's no hint of citrus or flowers at all. I think perhaps it's a mix of the tea and ginger with maybe the tonka - I'm still not sure how tonka smells, I'm afraid.

On my skin, wet, it's initially the same as it is in the imp, but the grapefruit tang comes through fairly quickly. The florals only start to make themselves known as it dries down with the iris taking prominence over the jasmine and honeysuckle. Actually there's no sign of the honeysuckle whatsoever on me, which is a shame since it's one of my favourite floral scents, both in perfumes and especially in nature.

I do owe Vampire Tears an apology, though. This is nice. In fact, it's REALLY nice. And, now I have my C'n'S for my next order, which contains a bottle of it, I'm more than happy it's on its way.

A frimp from the lab, which is great, because I probably wouldn't have tried it otherwise. Plus my roomie loves grapefruit, so she was all "Ooh!" when I told her about it.

IN THE IMP: Huh, strange. Very warm and sweet, which I guess is the tonka, with a hint of grapefruit. I agree with two reviewers, it reminds me either of butterscotch or buttered popcorn Jelly Bellies.

WET: WOAH, grapefruit, I'm awake, thank you. I can still smell the warm sweetness underneath, but it's definitely overpowered by the grapefruit. A hint of florals and the green tea underneath. Very interesting.

DRY: The grapefruit note has died down a lot. But it's still similar to the Wet stage. I'm actually liking it. My roomie didn't like it because she prefers a sweet pink grapefruit, but this is more like a sharp white grapefruit over a butter vanilla sauce. Later on, the grapefruit is nearly all gone and there's this faint rubbery smell left. Bleh. Not sure if I want to keep.

Once again, BPAL's white notes did not fail me. With all the different incarnations on people's skins, I feel like I'm trying to describe the flavor of Mary Poppins' health tonic. Heady and sweet at first, it dies down and for me it basically becomes lime and vanilla cream, with a touch of wood much later. :P

Maybe the grapefruit, tea, ginger and neroli influences combine this way on me. No butterscotch, cherries, candy, lemon sherbet or cleanser. Medium throw and lasting power. Good stuff. No longing or regrets.

I was so excited to get this as a Lab frimp; I'd been going back and forth on the idea of a bottle, so it's nice to be able to test the scent. Unfortunately, this is a strong blast of ginger at the start (I think that the 'baked goods' scent, which I also get, is a combination of the white ginger and the tonka). The early stage of this reminds me of a lighter version of Shub, honestly. Every now and then I get something which smells like the acidic citrus of grapfruit and the characteristic freshness of green tea. There is very little that is floral about this blend on my skin. I really wish that ginger and I didn't have such an antagonistic relationship (though ginger has certainly gone more wrong on my skin), because this smells nice up close, but far away all my nose catches is the ginger, and makes me feel ill.

i got this as a frimp from the lab. :P in the imp i smell green tea, grapefruit and something foody which doesn't seem to be listed in the notes...something toasty smelling. on my skin it's a fresh pale green scent with that hint of toastiness to it. after awhile the toastiness fades completely and i'm left with a soft aquatic floral. very pretty and light. not really my tastes, but still pretty!

In the vial: grapefruit candy. There's a tart citrus note with a sweetish, almost vanilla-y overlay.

Wet: mmm, grapefruit. Or grapefruit zest, it's a little bitter. Lots of sweet floral comes out very fast as it dries. Wisteria and jasmine are two of my favourite real flowers to have in a garden, and they're lovely with the citrus.

I wish I could get a little bit more of the tea and ginger. I can't really find them.

Dry: this is turning into a sweet floral with grapefruit in the background to keep it fresh. Mmmmmaybe there's some tea in there too. This is definitely a keeper -- I'm still hunting for a tea blend that smells like tea, but I found my citrus. :P

Swapped Saturnalia, which never did work, for this.

I'm.. terminally ambivalent over this scent. I don't dislike it, but I don't like it either. It's... overpowering. It definitely doesn't remind me of vampires, but it definitely reminds me of Shojo Beat, over which I am also ambivalent.

It's a moot point though, because it makes my mom ill, so I can't really wear it.

In the bottle: Sweet jasmine with something dark underneath- maybe a heavy vanilla

Wet: Sharp grapefruit... and gorgeous jasmine

Dry: Jasmine and vanilla- this is just lovely... AND it just lasts and lasts. 16 hours after application, I can still smell it. Yum. More bottles of this for me NOW.

This is my first review, and it's also the first bottle I've bought, so I thought it was fitting to review this scent first.

On opening the bottle, the lightness of the scent surprised me. Despite the description, I was expecting something darker and heavier. The grapefruit jumps out, as do the floral scents. After about 20 minutes of wearing it, I started to smell like Lemon Pledge (as some other reviewers mentioned), but, fortunately, this only lasted about 10 minutes before it morphed into a lovely, light, floral scent. The grapefruit lingers, as do the jasmine and wisteria. It also has really nice staying power, and lasted all day on my at work.

It's a lovely scent, and I am so glad that I ordered a full bottle! It's a beautiful, unique scent!

I got this one as a frimp with my first order. Initially, I thought "Meh." I'm not big on citrus scents (due to a tragic exposure to a scent drencher in the 80's). I decided to try it and with the dry down, it totally smells like Nerds candy on me. I like Nerds. I like them so much, I tracked down a 5 mL of this one and find myself battling with my daughter, who wants to smell like a "Sweet Tart" (it does on her).

Bottle: Grapefruit!

Wet: Very sweet grapefruit, which is so good! I get a bit of candy and no jasmine, which is great!

Drydown: I kind of wish I'd ordered a bottle, it's very sweet, which I love!

3.5 outta 5

in the bottle: an odd combination of something nutty (the tonka?) and very citrus, more grapefruit than anything else. the notes are at odds, but not unpleasantly so.

wet on skin: the citrus continues but the nuttiness has faded a bit. like eating hazelnuts and drinking loads of lemonaide at the same time.

dry down: a gentle lemon, like lemon drop candies has taken over. the roast nut is there, but it's more like an afterthought, something that only registers after the scent has left my nose.

all in all, pretty interesting, but something i'd probably like more in high summer than the dead of winter.

Lab frimp.

In the imp: whoa grapefruit!

Wet: grapefruit. then wisteria. then honeysuckle. This be one All-American wholesome vampire.

Drydown: I can smell the grapefruit, a lemon note, and the honeysuckle florals. I'm getting a hint of the jasmine and ginger as well.

This is a pretty light gingery floral on me. It smells like something I would buy in a tourist shop at the Honolulu airport. It is quite pleasant but not at ALL what I would associate with vampires.

Vapire Tears

I got this as a frimp from the lab with my last order, and, I love the idea, so, thanks Beth & Co.!

In the imp: Black cherries, tonka, with a slight hint of ginger.... :P

Wet on skin: Innitially, I was reminded quite heavily of Queen of Diamonds. I got the same dueling notes of Jasmine and grapefruit from that blend as well, if memory serves. Queen of Diamonds is one of my top ten faves, so this is good, it's very good.

Innitial Drydown: Citrusy Jasmine with a backround note of Honeysuckle... I had been worried about what would happen with a blend containing both those heady florals, previous experience did not bode well for this blend, but, as with all BPALs, Vampire Tears completely surprised me, and, pleasantly so. I smell both jasmine, AND, honeysuckle, and, I don't feel it clinging... Who knew?

Final drydown: This one lasts a long time, and, it morphs into a lovely gourmand, almost cakey blend. The fruitiness of the final drydown reminds me heavily of both the original 13, and, Eat Me.

Verdict: This is love, absolute love! I'm so glad I ordered a bottle at first sniff!

Nuts, citrus, vanilla (or Tonka?), a VERY strange blend, but one I like! The only problem is, it really depends on my mood as to whether I like this on me or not..... Hmmm......