Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The high, crystalline scent of a star-filled night with blue lavender and lush magnolia.

Intense lavender, which I like, but the magnolia didn't seem to blend with it at first.
There was a sweetness that kept popping up and was a bit jarring.
As other forum members have noted, crystalline is a perfect word for this. After a while, it reminded me of a sort of creamy, sweet, almost vanilla-tinged version of Blue moon.
I'd been hoping the lavender would calm me before sleeping, but I had one of the most restless nights ever, so I won't be trying that again.
However, there was a big bonus in the morning - I woke up to the MOST DELICIOUS, spicy, yummy scent imaginable.
Apparently Yvaine just keeps getting better and better the longer you wear it.
I think I'll try it in my hair next time (but during the day, only).

This smells the same on me as it does in the bottle. Musky dark heavy lavender. It must be the magnolia that makes it so musky and dark? This is a very "adult" scent and seems too heavy to properly be Yvaine, although I suppose she was quite serious in the book.

Having said that, this is one of my favorites from the Stardust series. I love lavender. This is probably going to be the first bpal bottle that I have emptied.

Long lasting, large throw.

Edited by TwilightEyes

In the Bottle

Lavendar. Cleaning product lavendar, when it's made with the natural stuff-- a tart, crisp, almost medicinal scent. Normally this would bother me, but I went into this purchase with my eyes open and read the reviews... I'm just hoping it works on me.

On Me

I applied this at 5am and left the house before sunrise. It felt cool on application, which was interesting, and the lavender was pretty strong. Then... ten minutes in, the magnolia starts showing up, and the combination of lavender and magnolia is pretty. Later on, it's changed again, as though there is some lilac and stargazer lily in there...

I'm not sure what "crystalline" is meant to small like in this, because I got a lovely softness, which wasn't wimpy thanks to the lavender. A lovely mix of essences which compliment each other beautifully.

I'm so glad it worked on me: Stardust the film was kind of intense for me for a variety of reasons and Yvaine just had attitude yet she wasn't completely hardened and beyond human... I love the concept, and I love the idea of a fragrance based on that.

And yep, it worked. Ordinarily not one I'd have picked for me, but thanks to the marketing, I did, and I love it.

ALSO: It's now 11pm, same day, and I've washed my hands several times at work, yet I'm still getting the faintest whiff of what smells like a gardenia/lilac/lily combination. And it is the perfume, not anything I've washed my hands with or touched today: this morphs on me like no one's business.

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

I usually hate lavender and am not a big fan of magnolia, either, so I only tried Yvaine's scent because she was my favourite character in the film. I was expecting a paean to old ladies and Lysol the minute the oil touched my skin.

Well, you know how Nutella and omelettes are really good separately but you'd never make a Nutella omelette? Well, Yvaine is the Cadbury Creme Egg breakthrough - somehow, vile lavender, evil magnolia, and horrid crystalline musk form an enticing scent from their unholy meshing. Maybe their respective repulsive traits cancel each other out? Whatever the reason, Yvaine is lightly, elegantly sweet. It's pure, innocent yet strong in feel,just perfect for the character. This is especially a lovely scent before sleeping, meditating, or any other serene activity.

Stupid expensive non-Lysol. I thought I'd try the imp, laugh, and pass it on. Instead, I gobbled my way through the imp, bought a bottle, and came here to declare it my favourite of the Stardust scents.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but here goes *ahem*: If, like me, you hate EVERY SINGLE NOTE listed for this scent, then definitely give it a try!

Wow...weird. I didn't get any magnolia or lavander, and lily usually smells like hot dogs on me, but I did smell some delicious vanilla and a hint of lemon. Somewhere in there was some dill poking around. Or maybe not. Maybe that's just how it smells on me! I also smelled something like Antique Lace in the background. Wow....seems my review is weird! :P

I like this and am glad I splurged and picked up a bottle.

As a side note, this winds down quite nicely after a few hours and lingers well.

i can't really make out the notes in this. it smells like a white floral, which i guess is magnolia, but...this isn't what i remember magnolia smelling like. it smells very watery on me too and i don't get any lavender at all. just a sour white floral doused in lots of water. my skin chemistry often does not agree with white florals, so no surprise here.

i avoid bpal's lavender like the plague - it is way too astringent and diaper ointment on me. (one notable exception to that is one of my loves, bow & crown of conquest)....

wet, yup- it is astringent lavender. but i am toughing it out cos previous reviews have said that it gets better

dry, and it does get better. the lavender dries off to the background, out come the lush magnolia and crystalline-ness.

it is rather nice - glad i tried it and i'll keep the decant but i wouldn't get a bottle of this cos of the initial terrible blast of lavender.

In the bottle: Light, floral, and slightly herbal lavender. Surprisingly delicate, and not sharp or medicinal at all.

Wet: Much more herbal, less floral, and overall stronger. It does have a blue feel; like being in a field of fresh greenery, crushed and emanating up into a bright blue sky. It's very bright and vivid, but without being harsh or astringent. Definitely one of the most gorgeous lavenders I've smelled. Overall, the scent is wonderfully cool and clear, light nighttime dew.

Dry: Dries very quickly, becoming sweeter and more floral in the process. The mostly herbal, slightly floral lavender still reigns, but the magnolia brings a lushness to the blend. It's not the heady, in-your-face sort, but the more delicate, citrusy-sweet type, nocturnal and youthful. It's the perfect foil for the lavender; both can be overpowering notes, but here they keep each other in check and blend seamlessly.

Later: The lavender remains in dominance, but the magnolia is still clearly distinct. I've smelled some magnolia species that have strong citrusy notes, but I think it's also possible there is some actual citrus in here, which could be adding some sweetness too. The blend is a bit astounding, because it's both heady and fresh; it has strength, but also a clean purity. Even a little musk seems to be joining; I'd guess crystalline musk, appropriately.

Summary: It's herbal-woodsy, as if all parts of the lavender plant have been used -stems, leaves and flowers - and softly yet deeply floral from both the lavender and especially the magnolia. While heady and potent, it's citrusy fresh, and has a touch of light, feminine sweetness which grows over time as the musk amps. While the lavender is always foremost, the magnolia and sweet musk grow to be almost as strong - amazingly balanced. Decent throw and good lasting power.

This blend is simple the way that white light is simple; shining and pure and whole, but actually it's incredibly complex, comprised of every colour of the rainbow in perfect harmony. Nocturnal and definitely 'blue' in feel, a deep, vivid indigo tinged with silvery violet. Beautifully refined, regal, classic. Magical, even, and it evokes Yvaine perfectly - brava, Beth!

So far, I've fallen completely in love with every Stardust scent I've tried, so a bottle of this shall be added to my bottles of Fairy Wine, Victoria, and Fairy Market.

I'm a big fan of lavender in general everyday life (like, really big -- lavender soap, lavender deodorant, lavender tea, and lavender chocolate big :P ). I didn't normally wear it as perfume before I found BPAL, though, and I have to admit I haven't had much success with BPAL lavender blends. I'm not sure why, but something about most of the blends I've smelled so far just doesn't quite work for me.

Yvaine smelled lovely in the decant -- unlike most of the other lavender-containing BPALs I've sniffed before, it actually had a detectable true lavender note to my nose. It was pretty on my skin at first, too, although the lavender receded somewhat.

However, poor Yvaine only held out a half hour, barely. Maybe. I thought it might have been a fluke, so I slathered mid-afternoon, and... still nothing. No throw, no duration. Pretty if I pressed my nose up against my wrist during those first few minutes, but gone in a flash.

*sigh* I'll keep looking... and maybe Yvaine will consent to grace me with her presence in a locket!

Got a partial bottle of this from herbhealer's sale. Thanks!

Bottle: Wet, blue-purple scent of strong lavender and something else.

Wet: Lavender, but not death-note lavender. Soft, sweet floral.

Dry: Cooling, herbal and enjoyable. Probably won't get another bottle of this, but will definitely use what I have!

First on, Yvaine smells like an herb garden. Love. The lavender isn't the screaming headache type, it's a mellow herbal lavender. The magnolia is... behaving itself, holy shit. It actually smells like MAGNOLIA and not detergent. It does sort of remind me of a starry night, but just at twilight, where the stars are starting to prick through.

Okay, dry this reminds me of a Bath and Bodyworks scent. But, you know, more BPALier. It's very, very pretty, with the magnolia and lavender balancing out perfectly and the feel of -- well, exactly what the description is going for. One of the few straight-up florals from the Lab that actually end well on my skin. If I wore florals more often, I would stick a bottle in my next basket for sure.

Edited by karen

Yvaine is such a pretty scent. It's all lavender when wet, but the drydown is heavenly. It fits the character, Yvaine perfectly, starting out sharp then a little while later it's almost like a white musk, but more like skin musk and innocence. It's kind of how you would expect true love to smell if it had it's own identifying scent.

It's a great scent to wear for falling asleep, but I really love it after it dries and settles for a few hours. In the morning the scent that's left from it is just incredible. Definitely going in my next order.

A deceptively simple scent. Lavender with its blanket of sleep and heady feminine magnolia giving it the close feeling of a warm summer night. Somehow that lavender never becomes sharp or herbal...it seems remote like a distant glittering star.

This would be the scent of a star's hair if she were an lovely, angry girl...cool and warm at the same time. Beautiful representation.

This is very much a lavender scent. I'm hit or miss with lavender, and this is quite pretty, though I don't think it'll be a frequent perfume for me. On the dry down, I actually get a scent that reminds me of one of my favorites, Anactoria. I can't explain what it is, something I always attributed to the honey musk, but that doesn't seem likely based on the listed notes.

On the downside, this also reminds me of the smell of your typical bath and body products, not a perfume. On the upside, I'd love to add this to a lotion and smear it on from time to time. On the downside, I don't work with lavender very well. On the upside, I know some people who will love this scent as a bedtime soother!

This has the same "sparkle" to it that Shattered has on me. I don't usually like lavender much, but this is sweetened by the magnolia. Nice, but not something I'll wear often. (Iago is on my other arm and I think this must be the oddest pairing I've tried yet with BPAL...) A very innocent smell and the high altitude aspect to it works well for Yvaine's character :P Glad I got to try it!

Simple and stunning. Herbal lavender that permeates my skin and has me swooning. After it dries down, magnolia starts to make an appearance, but only to temper the lavender. It neither overpowers or stays in the background. It just combines beautifully with blue lavender to sweeten it a touch.

:P

Yvaine

Wow, what a sharp scent when the oil is first applied! I know it's lavender, but my brain keeps yelling GRAPEFRUIT until the oil settles down. Then the other lovely notes come out and gently caress my skin. I am absolutely, positively in love with this scent.

straight sniff from bottle is pure gorgeous lavender....

once applied this turns into a dark lavender, smoky and resinous with my chemistry....

this is soooooooo beautiful...a touch of sparklee something too...

the lab's lavender scents are usually a big hit for me and this is without exception...

love it :P

:P This is my first ever review

In the bottle: I smell lavender, I get the impression of space -- wide open space

On wet: sharp lavender note which quickly subsides to blend with the other secents as it dries

Hours later: a powdery blend of scents has developed.

When I bury my nose into the scent I feel like I'm wrapped in a silk cape.

A very delicate scent.

First sniff: Sharp, in a very slap-to-the-face way. Whoa there.

Drying: Men's cologne? No, come on, I really want to like this one! It's Yvaine! Heck, if I could be a character in a book, I'd pick her!

Settled: Aw, crap. I hate when I fall in love with the idea of a scent, but then I smell it and it's not at all like I'd hoped. This really bums me out, 'cause I wanted to love this one -- not to mention that it's the scent of a beautiful, celestial woman, and yet it smells like a middle-aged man.

*waits a while, out of sheer force of will to make this one smell good on me*

Y'know, this actually is calming down after a while. It's going sort of powdery, in a nice way, like a soft lavender scent. I'm willing to give this one a second chance.

EDIT: I'm starting to think that there's a note that just needs to get to know me for a bit, or else it goes away quickly, and it might be the lavender. I tried this one again, and when I first put it on, it was downright wretched, cheap and man-ish and bitter and horrid ... and then, a moment later, it was fine. In fact, it was really nice, and it has been for the rest of the day -- "crystalline" is a good word to describe it, pale blue, clear like glass, a bit soft ... it's hard to describe, really, but it's very nice. If I just hold my nose for the first ten seconds or so, it's totally worth it. Lovely. :P

Edited by Ravenclaw79

For various reasons, the first thing I did with my bottle of Yvaine was use a bit to scent a lotion I was making. In that form, the initial striking lavender stays preserved -- a really pretty note, but bare.

I like Yvaine much better on my skin, after it's had a bit of time to mellow. It's still firmly lavender to begin, but given a little time it gains more depth and dimension as the other notes make their appearances. I was actually really pleasantly surprised by this -- put a bit on in the morning, to give it a chance, by the time I got to work it was one of those "what's that gorgeous smell? hey, it's me!" moments -- I almost didn't recognize the dry Yvaine as the same thing that I'd put on just an hour or two earlier. Mmmm.

I know what lavender smells like...and magnolia...and I dont get either from this blend. Yvaine to me is the best smelling tea I could ever have >.< If there was a tea that smelt like Yvaine then I would buy it up instantly. She doesnt have much lasting power on me, even when I put some in my hair and the throw is on the decent side. This is probrably one of the first blends that I cant really smell any of the components of O.o Either way....I bought it because its still magnificent 5/5 :lol:

Yvaine starts off with a blast of astringent lavender. I like lavender, but sometimes with my chemistry it can be a bit overpowering. I love the character Yvaine, though, I just found her incredibly endearing and different from most sparkly fantasy heroines. I loved reading about (and watching) her crankiness soften to affection for Tristran.

This scent is almost a metaphor for her character arc - the lavender starts off sharp-edged and a little pushy, and it softens ever-so-slightly without ever losing that herbal-floral quality that is so characteristic of lavender. It doesn't go pillowy soft and fluffy, it's still a very clear, bright, almost cold scent...but it softens and shimmers a little. Just like Yvaine never became a fluttery, soft heroine, this stays true to itself while buffing off the sharp edges a little.

I love this. And I'm probably going to need a bottle sometime soon. ;)

Unf, Yvaine.

That could basically be my review right there. I have loved Neil Gaiman for what feels like half my life. I have loved Stardust for years, Yvaine for just as long. I deeply and truly love when the Lab collaborates with Neil, and I am such a whore for Lab blends that only have a small number of notes.

So yeah, this sounded like heaven when I first read about it. I received an imp in a swap, and from the moment I took a whiff I was bowled over. Yvaine took me over completely -- I had never smelled anything quite like it before, and all I could think of were indigo skies deep in the night, bright stars, silvery silk, lush blue velvet, and yes, the word "crystalline" did spring to mind. I wore it on my way to work the next day and could have wept for its beauty. It was like hearing Mozart after a lifetime of no music.

It was also completely gone by the end of my 20-minute commute.

Months passed, and I basically just hoarded my two leaky imps, huffing them once a month or two while my eyes rolled back into my head and I dreamt beautiful waking dreams. I tried wearing Yvaine again once or twice, but it was always heartbreaking since the damn thing wouldn't last on me.

Why I swapped for a bottle of it, I still don't know. The crazy things BPAL makes us do, I guess. :) When I wore it... lo! A miracle occurred! The seas parted, war ended and best of all the perfume lasted! It became a little less chilly when I wore it -- the star coming down from the sky to the earth below, I guess, if you want to be poetic about it -- and changed slightly from crystalline to something a bit more floral, a bit warmer, a bit more approachable. Florals typically do not like me, so I was shocked when it lasted the entire workday well into the evening. Unfortunately I developed a monster headache that day which may or may not have been Yvaine. I'll be testing it again to see if this beautiful perfume has gone from ignoring me to trying to kill me.

Either way, I really recommend picking up a decant of this if you're interested in the notes or the character. It's something everyone should sniff at least once. This is a perfume that is, to me, about the character is conveys as much as the scent itself. It's a masterpiece.

Not getting much in the way of lush magnolia here, although maybe it's what's giving Yvaine it's staying power. This smells very similar to Bat-Woman, with the "night air" scent. Although that blend disspeared on my skin, and this stands out a little more, although it's still on the faint side. Very pretty. Lots of lavender here too, although it's more floral and less herbaly, which I like. I do like it, but it's not the kind of scent I see myself wearing very often.