Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
janelle_hell

Snake Oil

By far, our most popular scent! Magnetic, mysterious, and exceedingly sexual in nature. A blend of exotic Indonesian oils sugared with vanilla.

Snake Oil, oh Snake Oil. My first BPAL scent. This is my first review.

In the bottle: Sweet. Almost -too- sweet. It almost smells like honey to me.

On my skin, wet: Hmm.. is that vanilla I smell? And something.. spicy?

On my skin, several hours later and after washing my hands: Powdery vanilla. Perhaps some spices, but they're not coming through anywhere near as strongly as the vanilla. The scent reminds me of some of my spiced vanilla candles.

Odds are that my husband will -love- this scent. He's a huge vanilla nut (whereas I'm not), so when I get the chance to see him again, you can bet I'll be wearing Snake Oil. :P

I'm not sure what to make of Snake Oil.

In the bottle it smells sweet and somewhat medicinal.

On, wet it smells of thick and vanilla scented with some spice but there's a note i really don't like lurking in this - the medicinalness perhaps. There's also a hint of something reminiscent of Greed (which I love).

Dry, something strange has happened. On my left wrist it smells lovely and dry and spicy. Everywhere else it's too sweet and vanilla-ey with a medicinalness that I don't like.

It definitely has staying power though. I applied it after dinner last night and it was still there this morning.

My boyfriend didn't make any comment on the scent, but he couldn't keep his hands off me so I think this had the desired effect even if I'm not sure about the smell!

Snake Oil - In the same order with O, as I figured I'd finally try some of the big crowd pleasers. :P

In the bottle: Incensey, but not overwhelmingly so. I can't smell any vanilla at all. It also smells just like the tarted imps I got in my first orders this summer - did anyone else notice this?

On me/wet: Smells exactly the same. It's a familiar incensey note, and reminds me of some of the Lab's other scents. After a while, the incense doesn't fade but seems to warm a bit. At no time does the vanilla note make an appearance on my skin.

Drydown: Eventually it starts to smell a bit waxy, like Hunger did (I think). It's alright, but not me. It continues to get warmer and sweeter, and loses its waxiness. However, I just don't enjoy this particular incensey blend. :D

First Sniff: Vanilla, warm spicy vanilla.

On my skin: This smells positively edible. It smells like vanilla and warm, exotic spices.

After 1 hour: The scent hasn't changed much. It reminds me of some kind of middle eastern dessert.

Final verdict: The first imp I ever finished. I can't wait to order a full bottle of this, because I miss it so :P

This smelled sweet and spicy in the imp.

On it starts out wonderful, sweet, spicy, very sexy.

It goes to playdoh on me though.

I'm keeping the imp, to see if it gets better with age. :D :P

ETA: I just pulled out my aged Snake Oil. Fresh it smells like Playdoh, aged it is resinous, sweet, and spicy. :D

Wow! I almost threw it with my swap updates. I am so glad I tested it, one last time. :D

Edited by Finny

It took me awhile to appreciate Snake Oil. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I imagined it to be a sweet vanilla with some spices in the background--cloves or nutmeg or something. I was very surprised when I first wore it and smelled plasticy play-doh!

Indeed, the first 3 or 4 times I tried it, I got that strange plastic smell. Now I know that's because it wasn't "aged." My bottle, which is now at least 4 months old (I bought it from a forumite so I'm not sure), has become divine. Snake Oil is comforting, deep, and mysterious--and also sexy. It's vanilla, but not a sugary, foody vanilla. Aged Snake Oil is one of my top-ten scents. When it's time for a new bottle, I'll age it before I wear it.

Edited by Shollin

ooo, this is GOOD STUFF!! it is only second to centzon totochtin as far as "holy grail." smells like vanilla syrup in the vial, then wet a deep vanilla, slightly medicinal with a crackling fire quietly in the background, where it becomes less sweet. i would say vanilla & fireplace, with a little powder. just tantalizing!

This has become my signature scent...it is amazing and I feel i have become highly addicted to the smell, i even have to put some on when i go to bed! I'm in love, is it laced with cocaine lol? :P

(My first review...and my 2nd post, I believe)

After reading all the other reviews, I was afraid I would be end up being another member of the Play-Dough Club.

I have an imp of this on order (my first order!), but I couldn't wait, so I picked up another imp on eBay.

I'm not good at discerning scents (yet), so bear that in mind.

When I first sniffed the imp, I got the medicinal smell that others have mentioned...medicinal and spiced-up industrial strength cleansers.

On, however, it was a completely different story. At first, it seemed like a spicy vanilla coke float. As it dried, it softened into the most amazing, subtle vanilla...with a kick.

The staying power was amazing. I could still smell yesterday's application when I woke up this morning.

My description really doesn't do it justice. (Luckily, there are 7 pages of ones that do. :D )

Let me just say that, on three different occasions, Snake Oil has gotten in the way of me testing out other imps. Each time, I ended up washing off whatever scent I was wearing because I decided that I'd much rather smell like Snake Oil. :P

I am torn between wanting to wear it all the time and trying to conserve my imp until my January 28th order arrives....what to do? what to do?

Snake Oil:

I tired this from a girlfriend's bottle. I wish I were more of a vanilla person.

I CAN wear this, I suspect it's a universal scent that way. It is soft and kind on my skin, warm too, but it is NOT a "ME" scent". I like it much better that the strong tonka and vanilla of perversion, but the vanilla left me feeling well vanilla, and I'm just not.

I got a 5 ml of Snake Oil in my very first BPAL order because I am such a spicy vanilla fan (my usual "signature scent" is BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar body lotion mixed with Kiss My Face's patchouli lotion) but so far I'm not loving the Snake Oil!

When I sniffed the vial all I could smell is sweet. Like cleanser-sweet. When I first put it on, I couldn't smell any spice or any warmness at all to the vanilla really. I'm hoping it's because the shipment arrived on the same day as my moon (nice timing!). I don't know if having my period would change my body chemistry that drastically as to make me smell like an airplane bathroom! A few hours after applying, all I could smell was powdery industrial cleanser. So disappointing. :D I hope this is temporary body chemistry wonkiness!

I did read the aging-oils threads so the Snake Oil isn't going anywhere until it ages a bit. I will try again!

**Edited to add that just a few days post-flow (so about a week after getting the lab-new Snake Oil) I am liking it! A lot! I don't know where I was getting the cleaner thing from actually. Soooo, I think it might have been more my nose getting used to bpal-quality oils...or something. At any rate, now it smells a little boozy and rich at first dab and then after awhile I get a soft somewhat powdery vanilla sweetness with just a little spice. I can't wait to see how it changes with age! :D

***Edited again! to say that this is now my new favorite behind Vixen. And the two oils together!! :P

Edited by Racecar Gibson

I figured out after half a day of wearing Snake Oil that on me, it's Blood Kiss without the cherry. I got a lot of spice and vanilla, which is quite nice, but it wasn't really my bag. I was hoping for more vanilla. One thing I liked about this scent as opposed, unfortunately, to everything else I've tried lately, is that the scent did not change on me throughout the day. I probably put too much on, as I thought it was very strong, but I didn't get the Play-Doh scent or anything else, just the straight vanilla and spice. It stayed a long time, which I also thought was great; most oils fade on me after an hour.

I think I'll give it a second try. It's a scent I believe will grow on me.

I got a new bottle of Snake Oil yesterday that smells nothing like the old bottle I got in August and eventually decided that I hated.

In the bottle, I smell mostly the base notes, with a touch of sweetness that lightens it up and makes me think "ooooooh".

Once on, when you get close to my arms, you smell the base notes very strongly, but the wafting smell is vanilla buttercreme ice cream -- similar to the scent of Coldstone Creamery's sweet cream ice cream. :P

After about 8 hours, the base notes slowly meld into a soft, gentle harmony with the vanilla and then from there, they fade away to almost nothing, while the vanilla remains strong and fast.

Now that I've gotten a happy love of Snake Oil, there will be no way I'll be without a bottle or two on hand. :D

i wish i knew the age of my snake oil, but i got it in a swap, so no telling!

in the vial it smells herbal and soapy- no sweetness, no vanilla. i'm sad about this, but bravely press on, knowing how bpal can morph on the skin.

but no. on, it is herbal and soapy. patchouli, perhaps? it's not offensive, but it doesn't do anything for me, either. i tried layering it with a vanilla lotion, hoping to draw the vanilla out, but no dice.

i may hang on to it for a while to see if it sweetens up. i may also try it on my husband.

Sniff: this is a very rich and sultry scent. In the bottle, it smells sweet, but not necessarily laden with vanilla

Wet: I love this stage. It's all sweet spice. I can smell tha vanilla now - almost a light vanilla caramel scent. Definitely makes me want to nuzzle where I put it. I did have a slight reaction to it when I put it on my neck. Maybe this skin here is too delicate and I will need a carrier oil to counteract this. It was fine on my wrists an arms, however.

Dry: This has staying power. It does get a bit powdery on me, but then again most everything does. But it sticks close to the skin.

I will put this on my order list for a 5ml.

Very interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about this one just yet on it's own.

It's vanilla through and through - but not too sweet. It agree that it smells like ice cream - the good vanilla kind (no fakey stuff here). I'm not one for foody, which is why I'm on the fence.

This went through a powder stage on me, but it backed off and went into full cream vanilla after a bit. Which is good. I'm thinking DH might enjoy smelling this on me.

Another thing - Snake Oil smelled delish paired with Red Devil (after the tang of RD dried). Mmm-mm-good. And they very-dry dry down of the two is pretty nice, I have to say. The Snake Oil is very dominant, it's less foody... and I feel sexy. Not agressively so - just the right amount of femmine confidence. And I'm having an bad hair & skin day - so it's quite the feat!

I ordered a 10ml bottle of snake oil before even trying it. I was absolutely convinced we would fall in love.

when I received an imp (a month before arrival of the bottle), I was disappointed. the vanilla and spices were too loud, too bold; they stuck out like a sore thumb. when I gave a friend of mine a hug, he paused, smelling snake oil, and said, candle? - not exactly what I'd hoped to smell like.

but all the reviews said to keep trying, so I did. I thought maybe it just needed some aging, or maybe my nose needed to adjust. both those may be true, but having just tried the 10ml bottle, I can safely say that I love snake oil. at least, the bottled version. I received the 10ml bottle, considered selling it, but went ahead and tried it out. somehow the bottled concoction is more discreet, more soft. and that's perfect for me.

snake oil reminds me of a coy smirk. it's sweet (but not overly), but smart. I interpret the spices as sharp and intriguing. I was worried about the bottle, but I'm really happy I invested in it. hopefully the imp will mellow out. mmm.

I know that there are a million and a half reviews of Snake Oil, but it smells so fantastic that I had to add in my two cents as well.

In the bottle: Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla! Normally I hate the too-too-sugary smell of vanilla perfumes/room scents/incense/etc. However, this isn't painfully sugary.

Wet: Whoa. Definitely vanilla, but with an incensy touch that saves me from running to the bathroom to wash it off.

Dry: Whoa. WHOA. Just.... holy cow. This is an incredibly slinky, sexy scent on me, and I don't often describe myself as sexy. It's very powdery and sweet, but the spice keeps it from becoming a bakery. It's almost like burning incense in the living room while someone is baking cookies in the kitchen. As strange as it sounds, when I wear Snake Oil I feel the strong urge to lick my arm. Mmmmmmm!

in the bottle- vanilla, ginger....something else i can barely catch.

wet- spices. with a light touch of vanilla. i smell like a cookie.

dry- ebbeh. yum. Vanilla. only a light hint of spice now. Someone up there mentioned it smells like a coy smirk- i agree.

-sits sniffing wrist while dissolving into purring puddle of happiness-

Quoting myself from the Snake Oil tread:

Snake Oil is just amazing and I loved it from the second it touched my skin. There is such an exotic combo of sweet vanilla and spices that I would not have though possible. I love the fresh version to bits, though it's very intense and the tiniest drop smells strongly for hours on my skin. But I'm also intrigued by this whole aging debate. I will have to get an extra bottle to store and see if it changes at all.

Snake Oil is also perfect as a base for a solid perfume.  :P It is just mellowed down enough to be sensual and laid back rather than in-your-face-sexy. My favourite and my signature scent I think.  :D

Ooooh, this exotic little blend is most delicious. It's a warm scent, something of a sugared spice. It's a hot, steamy sort of vanilla. I'm really going wild over this one. I just have to figure out an elegant way of describing this blend. Or I could be lazy and just leave it at the "sugared spice/ steamy vanilla" thing. Even though I prefer to expound upon BPAL scents a little more, I doubt I'll be able to stop sniffing my wrist long enough to actually compose a decent review. All I can say is it's no wonder that Snake Oil is one of BPAL's top-selling blends.

Now if I can just stop drooling. . .

Incensy vanilla, of course! The incense is pretty sweet--not dry at all, like it is in Morocco and Anne Bonny.

I have an experimental blend that's snake oil with a bit of amber (or more amber) and licorice :P Snake oil is just fabulous mixed with other notes! Perfect for layering :D

I'm not sure how I feel about Snake Oil. I've been wearing it all day, and while it is a pleasant scent, it's not insanely memorable. It smells vaguely nutty, but with vanilla, and it's sort of powdery on me.. it's nice. But not the best I've ever had.

i fully understand why this scent is so popular! there's the exotic spiciness, a smoky incense hint, coated with vanilla. if you could bottle sexiness, this is it.

I'm just on my way to the shower to get the awful stench of Snake Oil off me.

I was POSITIVE I would like Snake Oil. I ended up having to lie down, it gave me such a headache and made me so nauseated. On me it is pure sickly vanilla mixed with baby powder and a hint of dirty diaper. PUTRID!! :P

I hear it smells much better aged, so I think I will keep it just to see. Right now though, it is really making me nauseous.