Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
magpiedee

The Unicorn

A misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs.

In the imp it smelled like old herbs and dust. No florals, no linden blossoms.

On me, this is innocence and light and wonder and hope. It's definitely light and I can tell it's not going to be the type of scent I'll notice hours later, but it's beautiful. The herbs never quite go away, but they do fade wonderfully into the background, letting the flowers blossom and sweetend on my skin.

In the vial:

Airy soft green

On me:

Ugh. Not what I was expecting at all. I was kinda thinking about something clean and refreshing and softly green and maybe a little floral. But the green smell is actually herbally in an unpleasant way. And the linden blossom is there, but the whole thing is really rather cloying and comes off strong and harsh.

Final note:

I was thinking this would be a soft smell, but on me it's cloying and overwhelming.

In the bottle: "Misty" is the perfect word for this. Very light, but potent. It's sitting in the window sill next to my head and when the breeze blows over it it brings this really soft smell of newly-blooming flowers with it.

On my skin: Wet, it's very sweet smelling... almost to the point of smelling like candy. Dry, there are more florals coming through. It's a much stronger scent on my skin (oddly enough). Turns a little soapy fairly quickly. It's fading amazingly fast on my skin. 3 minutes after putting it on and I already have to stick my nose to my arm to smell it. Though, as it's fading, I am liking it more. Oh the irony...

Final Thoughts: I probably won't wear this too much. After fading, it does have a clean scent, but not one that you can smell unless you're a quarter of an inch or less away from it. It fades to quickly and it's too light and airy for me. But I'll probably keep it around as a room scent.

A soft, fresh, clean altogether delightful scent. Reminds me of the good things said about the unicorn in the Harry Potter books.

So peaceful: One to wear to relax and unwind.

The unicorn is light, airy, floral, aquatic... but somehow when it hits my skin, in addition to the light, clean smell, there is a subtle scent of caramel and coffee.

spring air & florals, ocean mists, caramel/vanilla and coffee. for reals. my skin must be nutty.

love it. most unusual scent ever.

This is a light floral with a slight citrusy edge--reminds me of grapefruit, or maybe a really subtle lemon. I know it can't really be lemon, because lemon amps up on my skin and turns to gross dishwashing liquid, while this citrus is light and fresh and effervescent.

Yeah, effervescent is a good word for this scent. It makes me think of the colors white and silver, and of innocence and purity. It smells really good, though I don't know if I'm enough of a good girl to pull it off! :P

In the imp: Cool florals with a bit of sharpness.

On my skin: Cool sharpness now. D: This is reminding me of some sort of cleaning product I can't quite put my finger on now. It's a bit lemony.

Later on: Whatever was causing the sharpness has backed off a bit. This isn't agreeing with me at all.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Well, I'm not sure what linden blossoms smell like, and herbal can go either way on me, but I do like a lot of white-flower scents.

In the Bottle: Sweetly floral. Something is reminding me strongly of honeysuckle and I loves me some honeysuckle.

Wet: A very light, white floral. It feels like dawn on an early summer morning, before the heat sets in.

Drydown: It fades fast on me and the herbal comes out to mix with the florals.

Verdict: Hmm. It's very pretty. It's also very light. But unlike Pele and some other light scents it LASTS. I can still smell it on my wrist hours later. I think I'll be hanging onto this one and see if it turns into a desire for a 5ml.

Imp: crisp, sweet, clean, fruit, citrus, ozone on first sniff. A sharp citrusy smell at first

Wet: STRONG bittery-sweet citrus, like Glade plugin. Morphs to a soft cottony top note, Linden Blossom, I'm sure of it. Reminds me of the Febreze stuff my SO has, but it is pleasant.

Dry: Oooh! This is pleasant citrus, very sweet and pure. It reminds me of sunshine and clotheslines and bright grass and fields. Clean and fresh!

Category: Clean/Linden/Citrus

Rating: 3.5/5; this has staying power and throw

Overall: It reminds me of an aunt's farm where they have a few buildings full of old equipment and fields of fresh growing wheat and kittens taking refuge in an old falling-apart truck. It's a solidly clean blend.

ETA: After 2 1/2 hours of wearing the scent through heavy labor, it stuck and it smells AMAZING! It's slightly fruity and citrusy and clean all in one. It's like a peach and a watermelon rolled into one with the subtleness of a slight spring breeze. GREAT! I now rate it 4/5 due to staying power and prettiness.

Edited by PixieSkull

In the vial and wet on my skin The Unicorn smells of pure Linden blossom with a hint of herbs. The herbs to me are very green not dry and dusty...

Drying down, I am beginning to lose the scent - My skin is totally absorbing it. What I *can* smell is a bit of citus from the Linden but it has turned into a primarily BO smell. What the hec!?

Completely dried down and I am much more happy. After a period of barely smelling anything except something resembling BO, I now am left with a bright, citrusy floral with an herbally end note. Talk about a morphing scent!!!

Concusion? I really like the way that this ends up but I don't know if I ahve the patience to wait for 20 minutes or so for this to start smelling better. I think that I will pass on the 5ml for now but I will be giving this a couple of more chances.

I don't have too deep an analysis of this one. Descriptions of it being light, innocent and so forth seem accurate to me, but really the thought that popped into my head when i tried this is "this smells like perfume for ten year olds!!" Could be for you, but not for me.

In the imp: very light sweet white florals.

On me, wet: hmm, is there something citrusy in this? There's something sharp under the sweet slight girly florals, and the whole scent is stronger than it was.

On me, dry: hm, this now has a weird combination of florals and muskiness over faint.. aquatics? I can smell the fresh lightness, but there's something nasty beneath it that reminds me of rotting flowers.

Verdict: This feels like it's trying to be innocent and light, while really there's something nasty underneath. It's making me consider unicorns in a whole new light, at least, but I don't think I'll keep the scent around.

I got this as I was working my way through trying the Mad Tea Party set thinking it would be light and fresh smelling.

I think I'd like it, if it would stay on me more than five minutes. It faded absurdly fast on my skin and the scent just wasn't strong enough for it to stay on my mind the way other scents like White Rabbit did.

Perhaps flowery purity just isn't my thing? :P

Too heady for me. In the bottle, it was an intriguing smell - nothing recognizable. The floral is way too potent and cloying for my taste. It's slightly soapy, and I detect some sage and other light herbs. It is a complex blend, dark and clean at the same time, but not my cup of tea.

in the bottle: mmm... whispy florals, very entrancing. Clean and sweet.

wet: wow, the florals are a lot stronger than in the bottle... but really beautiful. This is very sweet and almost a little fruity. However, there's something green, bitter, and rather strong and gross underneath but I only get it if I sniff my wrist directly.

dry: ohhh, this is gorgeous! Whatever was green and biting before has faded into the background and I am left with a delightful, soft, milky, white floral. It's very soft, and I'm afraid it may disappear on me, but the dry down on this is absolutley gorgeous!

overall impression: The bpal description is perfect on this one, and I agree with the first review, this is the Lady Amalthea, the Last Unicorn. I'm not usually a huge floral fan, so the lightness of this perfume is perfect for me. However, it's lightness makes it lack staying power and I can feel it starting to fade after only 30 minutes or so, but I would gladly slather this on (I'll just have to hold my nose until it gets to dry down, haha). I'm about to get dressed (I know, I'm lazy) and this makes me want to put on a long white skirt and spin in circles in a field of flowers until I fall down laughing. This perfume is absolutely sweet, innocent, and giddy. Not me all the time, but definitely a keeper. I just wish it lasted longer.

Edited by Natch

I'm not ambivalent about this one. This smelled like a weird blend of floral and honeydew melon, goes more floral with time. I'm a floral kind of person, but I just really don't like it.

bottle:

strong herbal/floral

wet:

nice!! Herbal/floral

dry:

milder now than in the bottle - really nice!

overall:

lovely!

rating: 8/10

In imp:OH. So that's linden! :D Good to know!

Wet: Oh, man, this is doing some pretty pretty morphing on my skin.

Drydown: jaslkdfjdaslkfjdaslfjdaslf dryer sheets. What happened?

Top notes: Linden and dryer sheets, and if I sniff real close, that really nice scent I got when this was wet.

Middle notes: Dryer sheets tempered with linden.

Base notes: Slightly musty linden :P

Throw: medium-light

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

Bottle: whew sweet..and yes, wispy. I can't pick out the individual notes, they are very transparent.

Wet: largely the same, with a green herbal edge underneath.

Dry: fading really, really fast. the sweet has calmed some, nothing is amping.

Later: gone. it was lovely for that split second, then my skin ate it up. the linden was gorgeous while it lasted...

A very delicate, soft, wispy floral -- a little reminiscent of Ouija, in a way, though with a sort of creamy note instead of the dry wood in that one, which makes it gentler and sort of tamer somehow. It's also a bit reminiscent of Antique Lace.

The florals never get amped up to off-putting levels, even on my floral-amping skin -- it stays extremely soft and gentle until it fades away, which unfortunately happens in under an hour.

It's a very pretty scent, but not really a "me" sort of scent. In the Lion & Unicorn pairing from the book, I'm very much more partial to the Lion, scent-wise.

Grade: C+

The Unicorn is a soft, ethereal blend. I could hardly smell it in the vial and I could barely smell it on my skin. It had the tiniest touch of pretty floral and woodland notes, but trying to catch a whiff of them on purpose was like trying to reach out and take a handful of morning fog. The scent would occasionally waft past me, but by the time I noticed it, it was gone. It’s a pretty scent, but I prefer scents that are bolder, stronger, and which have more of a presence. I passed it along to someone in the hopes of enabling her to BPAL (and she has become an addict herself since!)

The Unicorn smells almost like cherry cough drops on me at first, which is very strange. But I've learned that my chemistry likes to play tricks on me, so I'll wait it out.

It dries into a pretty, clean watery smell, like small white flowers floating down a sparkling stream. There's a touch of sweet fruitiness and something that smells a little . . . papery, but not really . . . too. It's gorgeous, and has the perfect amount of throw for an office situation, but I like Lady of Shalott better for the "clean water" scent. (Wow, what a mind-bendingly insane number of choices we have.)

A beautiful white floral scent. (Yes, I suck at giving floral descriptions) As the site’s description says I do get just a hint of some herbs but it’s definitely still floral. This is a very good fresh floral scent… perfect for a garden picnic social or as an everyday “signature” scent.

The Unicorn

The Unicorn sure is subtle, I put it in my hair and I can't really feel it at all. When I shake my head and inhale deeply I get a whiff of something sweet and vaguely floral that might as well be the scent of schampoo.

According to my notes from when I tried it on my skin it started with a sharp, almost alcoholic or mosquito repellant-like blast but quickly mellowed to a green grassy, citrusy, honey sweet, clovery schampooish scent. Too schampooish for me.

I'm more of a musk and resin kinda girl, but I got this for free and gave it a try.

In the bottle- Lightly sweet with a touch of flowers

Just applied- Kitty litter that just got peed on :P . But my skin will corrupt even the yummiest imps during the first few minutes, so I let it develop a little more.

10 minutes- Thank god the kitty litter and cat pee faded! Although the scent is 'high', it is still strong with a lot of throw. It has a hint of berry sweetness, but not sickenly so. I don't know what linden smells like, but there are flowers hiding behind the berries.

Dry-down- I am pleasantly surprised with this imp. This is not my usual type of scent, but I can see myself wearing it on a spring day while wearing a white dress with my hair floating around me. It is light and airy with a touch of sweetness embedded in forest wildflowers.