Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zenvodunista

Love-Lies-Bleeding

The velvet flower. A lush, thick, luxuriant bloom, bold and red.

spicy chocolate dipped roses with a hint of strawberries.

no, seriously. and for once, the chocolate doesn't go stale on my skin! definitely interesting, i'll probably be keeping this one.

i admit it, i tried this scent because of its name alone! so purty. and, of course, as one would hope, the scent ends up being just as beautiful as its name implies. i'm not normally a fan of foodsy, hyper-sweet scents but this one is okay for times and situations calling for amping tha romance :P i get a deep cocoa-rose from this one, with a verrry faint breath of greenery; hardly there at all. i wonder if the bpal oil "velvet" is similar to this one...? love-lies-bleeding has multiple personalities, however, as when i put this on last night, all i got was a big fist full of candy! it's probably much too sweet for me to wear everyday, but like i said, there is a time and a place...

Velvety chocolate with a note similar to candy butcher. I get foody with a little floral, but I am not sure what kind of flower. I don't think jasmine, at least not the one that goes yucky on me. This is an intense scent that is quite bold. Very pretty, but it overwhelms me a little.

Valentine's Day - that's all I can think about when I smell this - chocoate-covered cherries and flowers - and then just a tinge of something spicy - the proper ingredients for any V-Day :P This one is a winner - and I never thought I'd like it based on the description. On my bottle list.

Love Lies Bleeding is beautiful :P Lots of dry chocolate in the beginning. It then mellows to let the floral element come through. Roses? Could be, though I'm not sure. Later on in the drydown my husband swears he smells an incense note. We both like this one!

In bottle: Unexpectedly... fruity?

On me: Yeah. This is fruity. Peculiar. And it's totally not the fruits I like. Bleh.

*reads others' reactions* I don't get chocolate at all. Maybe... part of what I'm getting is fake-chocolate, like the flavor of chocolate-flavored-coffee; that always tastes stale-grape-y to me. But yeah. I don't get chocolate or rose. Just fruity, with slivered almonds on top.

In the bottle – Sweet almost coconut/almond/cocoa/milk

Wet on me – Soft, sweet, slightly musky, it’s almost a skin scent

Dry on me – Warm sweet and milky and yet also musky, I like this a lot

Overall – I’ve never much looked at the RG category, because the ‘normal’ floral notes don’t work for me, but this is lovely. I may have to rethink

it smells like chocolate and sweet, sticky flowers. it's really smooth and sweet... i want to eat my hand.

Another RG blend I thought for sure would be perfect for me.

Wet stage: Fake chocolate with some fruity/floral peeking out underneath. For the next half an hour there's a war between the chocolate, rose, and fruit.

Dry: This goes soapy chocolate rose on me. I'm not doing so good with the RG's. :P

Oh, good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets chocolate from this one :P I was so very confused, expecting a floral!

It's rich and fruity and chocolaty. It reminds me of Vice, a little, but much much stronger in general. I think this one is too strong for me. Into the trades!

I wish this had worked on me, but my chemistry is really awful about sweet floral scents and it always tortures dragon's blood (which a lot of people seemed to pick up in this)....

In the imp: Very sweet, sticky and red smelling.

On the wrist: Uh oh, shampoo. It's totally turned into Suave Shampoo. :P

Dry: Slightly powdery suave shampoo. Off to the swaps. *sigh*

The first whiff off the wand was a dark, unsweet, artificial chocolate scent, causing me to quail for a moment. On my wrist, however, the oil seemed much less artificial, and I started picking cherry up from under the chocolate, though the chocolate remained dominant. No wonder people say this is a Valentine scent.

This is the most pleasant chocolate scent I’ve met from the Lab, save perhaps 13 -- and it’s a much truer chocolate than 13, which is a broad blend. I certainly wouldn’t have placed it into Rappacini’s Garden myself, since it’s barely planty at all, but it’s good stuff. There might be a trace of some sweet flower above the cherry, but it’s only a trace.

As the chocolate slowly fades, the cherry comes in stronger. This is... well, for lack of a better word, tasty. I’m not much for food scents, but I could make an exception here.

It doesn’t fit its name at all, but I like this scent. I don’t think I’ll want to wear it much in the summer, but it will be wonderful for fall.

The lab sent me Love Lies Bleeding as a freebie, and I adore it! In the imp it is a very rosy pink color that I found delightful for some reason. To me, it is pure cherries. There is a very slight hint of chocolate in there, but more like.. cherries and blueberries mixed with a very 'fresh' sort of feel. It is very sweet, but it's not overwhelmingly so and wearing it I felt like I had just come in from the garden. :P

On wearing, the notes stay strong and true but I did notice that as they finally did fade away (5 hours later) the 'chocolatey' scent popped out. What a pleasant scent!

In the imp: chocolate and cherries

On my skin: chocolate, cherries, and roses

Drydown: same as above, but the chocolate fades and a powdery scent comes out that is actually very nice

Overall: I really like this blend. It's feminine and a little "old-ladyish", but it's interesting enough to keep my attention.

In Imp: A little chocolatey, with a floral additive.

Wet: Cherries (almond), chocolate.

1 hr. Dry Down: Yes, red! Weird to describe a scent as a color, but I sense it. Very nice, bold but doesn’t bowl me over. I probably won’t buy a bottle of this, only because there are many other I like better, but overall, this is a nice scent. I can see myself buying a bottle as a gift for someone, as this would be very suitable for someone like my MIL.

Starts with an alcohol scent, becomes cherry very fast. Maybe a hint of almond. Not a good one for me.

In the imp: chocolate, orange, and spice. YUM!!!

Wet on me: OK, a deeper, rootier, almost coffee-like smell now. I can now see how this might just about be botanical rather than pure foody :P The citrus scent becomes a little bit stronger but it's still a deep, dark, decadent scent on the whole.

After a few minutes: boozy chocolate cherries and a shot of espresso. This makes me grin. I can still smell that deep wet root-like scent that I got from Strangler Fig too.

Drydown: Ooh, I *know* that scent!! Vervain, or valerian...something I used to buy to make magical incense with. It's much less sweet and foody now. Instead it's pungent, sharp and smooth all at once. Smells like witches' incense.

Super-duper foody/incensey botanical. This is so special. I just love it!

If you like this, try: Blood Kiss, Strangler Fig

Edited by Baitu

In the bottle: Very subtle cherry with a bit of something darker.

On skin: Still very subtle cherry with a hint of chocolate. Normally this combination doesn't mesh well with my skin, but this was so faint I could wear it without the cherries going medicinal on me. Wet and dry, it was the same light cherry-chocolate scent.

I ordered this in the hopes of getting the chocolate note everyone mentioned, since I love Candy Butcher and Vice. Alas, no chocolate at all for me -- but no roses, either (thank god). In the imp and on wet, it's a very fruity floral with a bit of spice under it. I definitely get cherry, and some light, sweet florals. For about 10 minutes, just after it dries, it smells absolutely divine -- like spicy cherry cobbler and orange blossoms. If it stayed like this, I would buy a gallon of it! But then the fruit disappears and it becomes a sweet, light floral with some resiny warmth to it. Not much throw or wear length, but still very nice while it lasts.

Edited by Catmint

First thing i notice is chocolate, with pretty florals and maybe some cherry, on me, the florals are coming out more and the chocolate is going down, hmm this is yummy but I'm not sure how it will be when it dries down more. I get powdery dry downs alot with BPAL I'm gonna try this with a scent locket when i get one. I liked the peachy color too.

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

I'm working through my un-sniffed stuff so I can clear out the stuff I never touch, and tonight I grabbed this scent and put it on one of my wrists.

In the imp, it was a sweet but not cloying floral.

Wet, I could smell something nutty and something a bit spicy and I could detect a bit of dragon's blood in the background. As it dried, the florals come out (I'm not a floral person, so I can't say what flowers). Now, usually, dragon's blood and almost any floral beat the shit out of any other note in a blend, and something in this one is keeping both of them down (maybe they're dueling with each other?).

But the end result is a darker floral that hugs my skin and that my husband likes and it doesn't set off my allergies. A keeper, I think. :P

I really don't know what to expect from this one, as the description doesn't say, but I love the name! Huh, it's a cherry-cordial scent while wet: cherry + cocoa + incense...reminds me of Midnight Kiss. On drydown...it actually reminds of of 13 (original formulation), cocoa but with some orange and something peppery? It's not really very strong on me; I like it but I doubt I'd wear it often.

sniffed from the imp: smells like red velvet cake

on skin: cordial cherries (the kind with the goo not the kind with the cream) and a touch of either something woodsy (mahogany? cherry wood?) or maybe brandy or port.

smells entirely too red and masculine for me -- but it is pretty!

Initial Impression: chocolate

On Wet: chocolate, tart berries, roses

On Dry: roses with some chocolate and a hint of berry

Final Impression: I don't usually like chocolate-y scents, but this one was ok.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 3