Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A distillation of force, conquest, power and fury: dragon’s blood, myrrh, black pepper, labdanum, benzoin, leather, fire, and steel.

Gasp! I love this.

Bottle: A faint herbal.
On: A wonderful, spicy herbal with just a touch of sweetness; myrrh and pepper over leather, and a touch of the "glassy" note from House of Mirrors (whatever it is!) here plays the part of steel. The Dragon's Blood isn't strongly recognizable - rather, it ties everything together and sweetens it up a bit.

I was ready to try a bottle of this unsniffed but I opted for a decant -- dragon's blood is great, but anything with DB in it JUST smells like DB to me. On first sniff, I wondered if this or The Castle might have been mislabelled because they smelled so similar.

No, wait...okay, this is definitely different. This smells like a light, faintly woody Dragon's Blood. Sort of like Dragon's Bone or Claw. It is one of the lighter, sweeter, moister ones in that scent family though.

As it dries I do get some of the clean, almost aquatic scent that could be metallic...and the whiff of that same high, pure leather note from Quincy Morris.

It dries surprisingly perfumey and sweet, with a hint of powdery resin.

This isn't different enough from the other DB blends that I have to warrant its own bottle, but I'm certainly enjoying the test.

This is the first dragon's blood scent I've tried, so I don't know if that's what I'm primarily smelling, but I think so.

I don't seem to get any pepper or fire. /: Just a sweet-sharp and somewhat powdery scent, with a tiny steely note in iti. It seems kind of old-fashioned on me.

I like it OK, but I'm not sure it's me.

THE BLOODY SWORD

In Bottle: Clean masculine cologne

On Skin: This is a very masculine scent to me. It is quite sexy, the leather coming out right away and an icy tone from the steel. The Dragon’s Blood is surprisingly light on me, just barely there but sweetening the scent. The black pepper offers a nice spice… the myrrh and fire warm the scent up and give it beautiful smoky depth. The labdanum and benzoin are soft and slightly sweet. All in all I love how the sweeter darker notes tone the brighter cologne like notes down. I think it’s a good scent for a man who wants a more subtle scent and doesn’t want to be too perfumey. It has a light to medium throw but sadly fades pretty quick.

Hmmm. Odd scent. There's definitely dragon's blood in here, but other things are toning it down enough to keep it from becoming as cloyingly sweet as DB can sometimes be. Thing is, I can't identify what they are. Sure, I've got the web description to go by, but by scent it just smells like dragon's blood plus... stuff.

I don't know that I'm really getting smoke or steel or any of that, although there's a very non-perfumey feel to it. I keep thinking it reminds me of some other BPAL scent but I can't think which -- there's just something naggingly familiar about it.

It's not unpleasant, but like Dr. John Seward, it smells like something that wasn't really meant to be worn as a scent. There are faint traces of something nice in it, but they're not quite strong enought to make it worthwhile for me. This one will probably get swapped.

Grade: C+

On me this is an absolute dead-ringer for Dragon's Hide, and the two do share a lot of notes (dragon's blood, smoke, leather). The similarities are so strong that I'm having a hard time detecting the subtleties in this blend. I will say that this does acquire the "steel" edge in the final part of its drydown stage, but by that time it is badly faded. I don't think this is different enough from Dragon's Hide to warrant holding on to the bottle.

In the bottle - Actually I was going to say that it smelt of iron filings so I guess that would be steel.

Wet on me - Sweet and powdery (almost violets, but not)

Dry on me - Sweet and warm and somewhat indistinct

Overall - A surprisingly comforting belnd, one I could definitely warm to

The Bloody Sword:

First sniff: I taste vodka when I smell this. Odd. I’m assuming that this has dragon’s blood in it, from the color. It smells like a nice, light men’s cologne, but a little bit dirty.

Wet on skin: light musk. It immediately becomes more feminine and almost sweet on my skin. I also smell something a little bit spicy as well.

Drydown: This is the first BPAL I’ve ever smelled that actually smells like commercial perfume or cologne on my skin (i.e. a little alcoholic). Not a bad thing at all, but just something I noticed. I mostly get a soft dragon’s blood, pepper, and musk. I’d like to smell this on a man, but it smells very androgynous on me.

Though I appreciate this oil, and it doesn’t smell bad on me, it isn’t a sensual enough scent that I would wear it on a regular basis :P . Going in the swap pile!

Mmmm...dragon's blood, tinged with that wonderful real blood iron tinged scent that Beth does so well, if so rarely.

This is definitely a hot, dark masculine scent - I get an herbal, peppery leathre scent under the blood...so apt is this scent. So apt is its name...

This is what I think of when I think of blood. Warm, thick, metalic, sharp.

I can't place notes on this blend but it represents what the things I connect with blood and steel very well.

A personal best.

The oil is this rather lovely pale red-orange color.

In imp: mainly dragon's blood, a touch of leather and black pepper (*love* black pepper perfume!), and something at the back that is indeed metallic.

On me: Wet -- dark, sweet, resiny, peppery. Nothing's jumping out as individual notes except the dragon's blood and pepper. It's quite faint on me; I think once this ages a few more months and the resins deepen, it'll liven up a little. It's very similar to Mars, which should surprise nobody :-) There's a slight cool metallic note that's remarkably evocative of sharpened steel (though of course it helps that I had that image in my mind already). The pepper comes out a little more as it dries, but it stays pretty true through the drydown.

I'm not going to go hunting after a bottle, as dragon's blood can be hit or miss with my shifting chemistry, but this imp will definitely see some love!

I have no idea what I'm smelling here. A high, sweet, sharp perfume with an undercurrent of incense. I suspect that's the dragon's blood and pepper mixing with whatever the Lab uses for its fire and steel notes, and all of that layered over the cold incense oils. The benzoin is right there, a familiar traditional perfume scent, but the rest is folded so carefully around it that this doesn't come across as a traditional perfume, even in the bottle.

On, out comes the leather and the pepper, with the myrrh behind. The dragon's blood is a juicy sweetness here, fronting this scent along with a strong dose of labdanum (rockrose resin). I assume that's the vaguely ambery, soft resin note here. This is very much not the masculine, intense scent I had expected. It's actually quite soft and rather feminine, which I had not anticipated at all! I guess I see "leather" and think "MANLY."

This is powerful, but it's not raw battlefield power. It's firelight shining on an embroidered coat of arms. It's symbolic power, power that goes deeper than sheer physical force.

That said, this is not a powerful scent. It's fairly modest and I had to apply quite a bit to get any appreciable throw from it at all. The drydown is beautiful, mostly dragon's blood with an incensey undertone and just a whisk of something metallic.

In the bottle it reminds me of...carrots? o.O...and it turns into soap on my skin. Oh well.

Maybe it's just the color that makes me think of carrots.

ETA: Oh, I know why it reminds me of carrots despite not smelling like them. It's the pepper. My mom puts pepper and butter on carrots every time she cooks them, so that's where the association from them comes from I guess.

Edited by Roses Ablaze

This so perfectly embodies the essence of a Bloody Sword, I am amazed by Beth's genius once again!

First sniff: Dragon's Blood. Definitely a "red" scent. Undertones of leather and pepper. I'm usually not a fan of leather or pepper blends, but they are honestly really subtle in this blend. They make it deeper and more complex. I can somehow smell the "fire and steel". There is something really ashy and burnt in there, as well as the metallic bite of steel.

On the dry down: Not much different. Definitely not a morphing blend. Straight up firey dragon's blood blend. I like this a lot more than I thought I would, and I may even hold on to my decant.

In The Bottle: Pepper! *sneeze*

On The Skin: My skin immeditately releases a fresh burst of scent, heavy blood and wickedly sharp steel. I feel immensely confident all of a sudden and can taste the tang of metal in my mouth. :P

Conclusion: What a whopper! It like having the pumpkinless Headless Horseman in a bottle. *hoards*

In bottle: mild dragons’ blood resin

Wet: light dragon’s blood with a hint of something more. It’s very nice.

Dry: sweet and spicy and much lighter than I’d expected. The leather is well oiled, the myrrh and steel only the mildest hints. Medium to light throw, especially once fully dry.

Later: it achieves a light, well-blended sweetness with just enough spice and sharpness to be interesting and it lasts quite well – it’s up to 11 hours and holding on well.

Summary: I like this one a lot. I may have to grab a bottle if I can.

In the bottle: Dragon's blood, that acrid steel tang, and some pepper

First on: This is definitely a bloody sword. Haha. The steely note has come to the front for me and the dragon's blood, pepper and leather just sit on it in the background. While I love it, I don't think it's good on me so far, and it might go a bit soapy.

Drydown: Wow, it steered away from soapy and went to dirty rusty metal and leather. I'm definitely intrigued by it even tough I don't like the scent on me.

Overall: I might give it to the boy if he wants it, or use it as a room scent. I really like it, though I can't stand it on me personally. Odd.

So I've been searching for an angry, energetic scent to wear when I need a kick in the ass, and I haven't had much luck. Rage was downright pretty. Aries turned to pure honeysuckle. Bloodlust and Tannin'iver were too smoky and a little acrid on me.

Upon reading the description of The Bloody Sword, it sounded perfect for what I was looking for, but I also had misgivings. I loved most of the notes listed, and I was intrigued by the 'steel' note, but I feared the fire might go too smoky on me. But impulsive wench that I am, I splurged anyway, and wow, am I glad I did.

Has ever a fragrance had such a cool name? I can't wait for someone to ask what I'm wearing. :P

And I'll be wearing it a lot. I love it.

In the bottle its so gorgeous. I could sit and sniff it from the bottle all day. I get dragon's blood and resins with a strong leathery undertone thats just so rich and warm.

Wet on my skin I get strong strong dragon's blood with just a hint of a peppery bite. At this stage, its kind of how I wanted Aries to smell on me, but didn't.

But its the drydown that really glows on my skin like an ember from a burning battlefield. Bloody Sword? You betcha. There really is something bloody about it. The dragon's blood yeilds to the deep-smelling resins and the leather comes back, not overt, but mingling in the background with just a hint of smoke. This smells so good on me I almost can't believe it. I'm fascinated with every single nuance and so in love this is going on my top-ten list RIGHT NOW.

Bloody Sword came in a set of five that I won on Ebay. By reading the description, I don't think I would ever have tried it. I'm really glad that this was included in the set. Dragon's Blood is one one my favorites so once I tried it on, right away that jumped to the forefront. It is sweet and spicy with a bit of tang which is probably the metallic blend in it. There is a touch of leather but it is so much in the background that it is almost unnoticable. The only bad thing I can say about this scent is that it is no longer available and now I have to search the forums and Ebay to find another. This is really an inspiring fragrance and I must have more! :P

First, the caveat that I have a cold right now and my nose isn't entirely up to par. So I may edit this later.

The first time I tried this, it was quite soapy and unpleasant. But it was "that" time of month, so I put it on hold to try again later. This time it's much more successful.

Wet, this smells very strongly of dragon's blood. The sweetness fades as it dries, and the other notes come forward and balance. At first sniff it's leather and clean metallics -- the steel! -- with a hint of black pepper, and all united with a touch of sweet dragon's blood.

As far as I can tell, it has light to moderate throw. I don't know about the life yet, but dragon's blood blends typically last a very long time on my skin.

This is a very austere and gender neutral blend. Most of the notes are very dry, but the dragon's blood adds a succulent element and keeps it from being utterly bone dry. It would smell fantastic on a guy, but definitely works fine for a woman. It reminds me a lot of Aries '07, actually. It's quite nice, I think.

In imp: Men's cologne.

Wet on skin: Pepper, which works oddly well on my skin.

Drydown: This is a lot like Dragon's Hide but saltier, with the cold note of the steel standing out also; as it dries down, it gets the powdery, heavy incense scent of the resins permeating everything. Before that, though, it's definitely "the bloody sword" of a million paperback fantasy-novel covers: you smell wild places and war. A really interesting blend, in a way that commercial perfumes simply aren't interesting.

in the imp and wet: All dragon's blood and sharp benzoin, with hot pepper spiking the mix and a cool hint of steel lying in wait beneath.

dry: Soooo interesting. This one's *powerful* -- the pepper really grounds the scent and lends a unique kick to it. The "leather, fire, and steel" -- wow, I never thought someone could capture the scent of fire and steel, but Beth's done it. Conquest, power, and fury indeed. It's a little too "much" for me… makes me wish I had a guy in my life whom I could make wear this all the time!

Let me just say scents with DB are hit or miss with me. Sometimes it behaves itself, minds its manners and lets other notes have a say. Other times... not so much. This time, it behaved, HOORAY! :P

In the bottle: aquatic dragon's blood, no leather, no pepper.

Wet: aquatic dragon's blood.

Dry Down: aquatic dragons' blood tempered by leather and pepper, more leather than pepper.

30 minutes: aquatic dragon's blood tempered by smooth leather. Nice!

Conclusion: I love this. Glad DB behaved. This is sophisticated and lovely.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 5.

This reminds me a bit of Loviator...kind of a soft, sweetened leather. It was sharper with more Dragons's Blood at first, but mellowed out fairly quickly. I wish I could smell more of the "fire and steel". I'd like some smoky metal in it.

Ah well, that's just body chemistry. I like it enough to hang onto the imp.

Well, I knew this one would be risky on me.

Wet - all Dragon's Blood. Sweet, floral Dragon's Blood. Everything else in this blend has to just wait for this loud note to wear itself out before even getting a look-in.

After quite a wait, it finally does - aha, there's the leather and myrrh. Hi. If the DB wasn't leaving behind sweet floral traces, this might be awesome. Alas, I smell no steel, which is disappointing. Once dry, this really fades on me, and it's almost certainly just a matter of time before the myrrh and my skin remember that they don't get along.

I took a punt on this for one of my characters, but I'm afraid the search for a good, masculine warrior's blend continues. With DB, and my skin, it's just far to floral and sweet to evoke the right kind of images for me.

Alas. :P