Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Wanda

Along with Loviatar, she has become something of a Patron Goddess of all Dominatrixes, Wanda is the breathtakingly beautiful sable-wrapped marble queen of Sacher-Masoch's fantasies. Her scent is a deep red merlot with a faint hint of leather, sexual musk and body heat over crushed roses, violets and myrtle.

Berries! Red winey berries. Wet, that's all Wanda is to my nose. Dry, though, it morphs like crazy. First Merlot, then leather and musk, then it calms down into a floral drenched in Merlot with a bit of a leather bite. Very sexy; not too much throw, mostly Wanda sticks next to my skin, which is the way I like my sexy scents. Yum.

four years later:
Sometimes I like to revisit scents, and I was going through my imps and found a grungy-looking imp of Wanda. My impressions are mostly the same! Except now I recognize the "berries" as grapes and they smell more purple than red to me.

Juicy red grapes, almost syrupy, then floral notes -- mostly red rose but with the sweetness of violets -- and a hint of black leather. There's a little bit of the powderiness most musks bring to the table on me, but it's not overwhelming. The grape feel sticks around but quiets down a LOT after Wanda dries. It ends up being mostly a red-grape-based floral that's a little powdery due to the musk.

I'm amazed that the red wine doesn't take over the whole blend, as most oils that list it as a note turn to GRAPE GRAPE GRAPE on me. I still like this one, but by now I know myself well enough to know I wouldn't reach for it on a regular basis. Edited by karen

The first thing I thought of when I sniffed this one was apricot brandy and a faint herbal bite in the background, so when I looked at the actual notes I was very surprised!

Usually leather, rose, and violet are very strong on me but I can't detect them at all in Wanda. All I get is that initial apricot brandy sweetness followed by a full-bodied merlot that is both dry whilst still hinting at an underlying juiciness.

This is actually very beautiful, but too much booze isn't my sort of perfume, so it's off to the swap pile with this one.

I don't know what note in Wanda hates my skin chemistry so much (I suspect the merlot), but she goes on my skin easily and then reeks of cherry cough syrup. Fortunately, Wanda fades away quickly, so I wasn't stuck with the weird medicinal smell for too long, but this one is definitely a pass!

When Wanda first hits my skin, it turns into roses and violets - nothing but roses and violets. A few minutes later, it's roses, roses, roses, which my skin turns into a cloying sweetness. After an hour or so, the roses finally release their stranglehold and let a bit of the merlot through to warm them; at that point, it becomes lovely and elegant, with a hint of darkness. This stage is short, though, and suddenly it's De Sade - hot, dirty leather.

In the imp, it's a lovely blend, but the notes are ones that my skin slaughters. The change from cloying sweetness to hard leather is evocative of its namesake, but it just doesn't work on me. I like it in the imp enough to try and find another use for it, as soon as I can figure out what it suits.

In the imp: Sweet and bitter. Mostly, I smell the rose (which I like) and violet (which I don't)

Wet: The violet takes over. Ick, I hate violet! There's a bit of leather, but the violet is beating it into submission.

Dry: Still violet. Did I mention the bit about hating violet?

I'm glad I tried this in a circular swap. I can ship it off ASAP.

bottle:

almost cherry

wet:

sweet red wine with florals… I guess leather is what adds depth to it

dry:

yeah I see it, leather and merlot! It's a deep dark scent - hint of florals but luckily the violets barely make an appearance

overall:

I like it - not for everyday but nice!

rating: 7/10

Oh, dear. This is so sweet in the bottle. The wine smells like grape Jolly Ranchers. I'm not getting anything else out of it, except a dark brush of gloom that is the leather.

On it dirties up instantly. The leather and musk play nice together, each softening each. This is a very catty musk. The leather is rich and almost nutty. Thankfully, the wine dies back and lets the other notes out to play. The flowers in the background are beautiful – I can actually smell the violets for once, instead of having them stab me in the sinuses.

For some reason this smells caramel-y on me, and a bit like the weardown of Miskatonic University. Remember when I said that one had a scent that reminded me of fur? This has it too – masterful. I'm not reading too much into it, but this really is the smell of a well-worn fur coat to which traces of perfume cling.

As it wears down it's a gently leathery musk brushed with sweet, warm flowers. I, who cannot wear florals, can wear this; it passes through a brief phase where the violet smells sort of metallic, but it never goes soapy or powdery. I have to assume that the musk and leather pin the scent down enough to keep it from going awry.

This is not nearly as ruthlessly demanding as Loviatar, making it a good choice for sexy women who want to smell assertive but not aggressive.

In the Imp: All leather and violets. Odd combination.

Wet: The leather has gone plastic-y smelling, and the red wine/merlot is so strong it's drying out my throat!

Dry: Still plastic-y smelling but the merlot dries off and the roses make a soft and flowery appearance. Then the violets get overbearing...

Throw: Obviously kind of good - my hubby walked into the room 5 minutes after I put it on and asked what smelled like licorice whips. (I kid you not)

Overall: You know I'm all for a little fun with Mssrs. S & M, but this blend just doesn't do it for me. I'm pretty sure the scent wasn't supposed to be torturing. Was it?

Even though the scent eventually wears down to its nice base musk, it still has that odd plastic note and the combination of roses and violets just don't agree with my nose.

This one goes to the swap pile.

Edited by Galatea

Imp: Sweet. Berry, berry sweet.

Wet: Still sweet, but with an underlying smokiness. I'm not getting merlot, however, I'm getting Boone's Farm.

Early dry down: This is actually pretty nice. Florals scare me, but this is all about the wine and the smoke, with just the faintest hint of sweet violets underneath. It reminds me of sugared violet candies.

Late dry down:This is spicy, sweet, complicated and sensual. I don't think its a bottle scent for me as it goes a touch powdery, but I think I might use an imp in the winter. It's a between the breasts kind of scent, and reminds me of Tintagel.

I walked into this one with extreme caution. I couldn't resist the merlot and leather, but I know that musk and roses usually turns into an absolute nightmare on me. Violet and myrtle are neutral. That being said...

In the imp: GRAPES! Seriously it smells like grape juice. That's not a bad thing in my opinion. I love the fruity.

On me. Mmm I still smell grapes. But where's the leather?! Usually leather comes out really strong on me in an oh so good, I wanna do naughty things to myself way. Now I'm smelling some floral too, but it's not roses it must be the violet. So the merlot and violet are what are predominant on me here. I like it! If it has any staying power, then it's a keeper.

Wanda is an absolutely gorgeous blend. The violet is quite spectacular and stands out from the crowd. As for the other notes, I can't distinguish any particular one of them, even when I look up the Lab description of exactly what is in it. It's complex, perfectly blended, and simply stunning. Wanda is sweet and floral yet deep and very, very sexy. It doesn't last long on my skin, but this is one that I don't think I'd mind reapplying and am going to add it to my list of bottles to pick up.

sniffed from the bottle: kosher wine mixed with grapejuice

on me: a merlot scented candle and roses

very little else.

rather smells like Yankee Candle "Shiraz" and "Roses of Cliff Walk" blended

(both of which i believe are now discontinued, so that's probably profoundly unhelpful)

i really don't get any leather, but that's okay... this is sortof an elegant out-to-dinner sort of scent.

even dominatrixes get taken out to fancy restaurants sometimes :P

On first application, this is heady and dark wine, sweet and definitely intoxicating. After a minute, the blend warms, and the musk comes into play, creating an overlying haze that isn't overpowering. Wow! As it dries, the blend doesn't morph at all, but I begin to detect the floral notes in the background. They're not strong, but there is a bit of petal-softness there. Alas, I never smell the leather at all. Aside from that, however, this is an entrancing scent, and definitely a sexy one.

In the imp: benzaldehyde.

Wet: cherry cough syrup. I double checked the label because I think I may have tested a different scent.

Dry: the musk came out after about 30 minutes and there was a hint of smokiness, but the cherries dominated everything. :P Wanda is off to swaps!

I definately love this blend. I love it so hard...*cough* anyways

In the imp: Basically Merlot with a hint of leather. You'll recognize the Merlot from Lady Macbeth, the beginning Stages of the Black Tower and LE Montressor. It has a slightly musky note from the imp as well.

On skin: Red wine loves my skin. Absolutely loves it. So as soon as it hits it's all. HELLLLOOO Deiicide. My name is Red wine. Tonight...I'm going to make you dance. :D *winkwink* Of course just as soon as the Red wine note starts to dominate, leather comes in and whips it back into shape. :P Poor Merlot, you'll get your chance another day. Maybe.

Drydown: Both the Merlot and the Leather take a back seat as soon the flowers start to warm upon my skin. The violets dominate a bit, but I don't mind. The other florals temper the violets, and the leather and the merlot It's almost a spicy floral.

The throw is light, but the wear after the intial stages does stick close to my skin which I don't mind as the oil lasts hours on my skin.

This is a definate bottle purchase in the future and something I see wearing during romantic evenings with the fiancee.

Edited by Deiicide

Procured: Imp from a friend

In the Imp: Cherry bubblegum

On skin,wet: initially bubblegum then the rose starts to emerge

On skin, dry: rosey cherries

Unfortunately, the leather never appeared form me.

:P

Imp: The red wine with the barest hint of leather. Very juicy and berry'ish with the leather complimenting the drier aspects.

On my skin: The wet stage is still very juicy, Merlot with the leather about equal in strength. It's a beautiful combination! The dry down becomes musky and incredibly sexy as the Merlot fades to the background, the leather still staying somewhere in the middle notes. I get the barest whisper of the floras mingled in with the musky scents.

I am totally in heaven and it's getting an upgrade to a bottle asap 'cause the imp is just not going to last me.

Jenn

Oh a dom! Yum! Gotta try this one... one of my first imps :P

In the bottle: red wine... something like Merlot. Mixed with leather.

On my skin: still very alcoholic... some amber too, and then it also shows its floral side.

After a couple of hours: the floral takes over, but there's still this background of wine.

Verdict: too alcoholic for me. Makes me feel rather nauseated. It's a pity cos I really wanted to like this one, and it had a nice floral background (I'd say I smell rose).

In the bottle: appley sweet.

Wet: apples.

Dry down: apples and booze? I think the violets, myrrh, and roses are making my nose think apples.

30 minutes: smells like candy. Not what I was expecting a Mistress of S & M to smell like.

Conclusion: I wound up smelling like sweet tarts. Not what I want to smell like. Not for me. For my S & M days I will wear Loviatar or Spanked. :P

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 2.

In the bottle: Berries, wine, and a hint of leather. I think I am already in love.

Wet on skin: Yeah, I'm definitely in love with this. This is wine and berries in a very sexy scent, still with a teeny hint of leather.

Dry on skin: A bit more leather, but still very much wine and berries. It's amazing.

Verdict: Bottled sex. I wish I could bathe in this.

In the bottle: Berries!

Wet: Berries and something really clean smelling.

Dry-down: Yay, it's warming up! The berries are starting to smell a little more peppery - I can start to smell the wine, but it's still very sweet.

After an hour: Subtle, sweet, musky wine.

This is definately worthy of a 5ml.

In the Imp: The leather and merlot is very prominant, followed by the sweet floral, mostly violets. I get very little definite rose out of it and no musk. It is so sweet that had I not read the description, I would swear this was a fruit based scent.

Initial Wet: My very first thought as soon as it hit my skin was, "Whoa, champagne and fruit!" I didn't get a merlot, but more of a champagne or white wine impression, though thinking about it, it could have been the violet influence on the merlot. The initial wet sniff was less boozy than the original throw and very floral, I'm guessing mostly violet and myrtle since I love other rose scents and this did not remind me of any of those.

Initial Dry: Now the leather begins to come through and, predictably, begins to sour on me. It may also be the merlot, but it doesn't go as bad as other leather scents. Then the musk begins to come through and, I think, soften the leather.

Drier Dry: The leather and musk settle surprisingly well on my skin. The leather isn't horribly sour, but it's not the nice, definite worn leather scent I get out of Tintagel. There's very little floral left, just a hint of its sweetness. The wine impression is completely gone.

Overall, I think there was a brief moment between the intial dry and the drier dry that I though, "Huh, I could like this and wear it often..." but then the scent shifted and what I thought might be a violet-Tintagel was gone.

Ok - the rose and violet are fickle flowers.

Wet - berries and more berries with a tinge of wine and leather. This is very sweet - and on me almost foody.

Dry - It's still very berry and slightly wine-ish and I can only smell the leather now if I smash my nose into my skin. I also get a teeny tiny whiff of citrus. But the rose and violet are NOWHERE to be found. This one also remained very sweet after the dry-down.

I am very confused because I usually do very well with anything rose or violet.

swap-o-rama on this one.

This is the second test - I hated it the first time I tried it and have ignored it since.

In the imp: Sweet red wine with something darker lurking underneath.

Wet: Red wine with leather. Then the rose and violet comes out to play. You know, this isn't nearly as bad as I remembered.

Drydown: Wow the merlot has really come out on me, it's quite berry like. The leather is just laying quietly underneath, and the violet is present around the edges. The rose seems to have disappeared thankfully. This is very strong with excellent throw, and I only put a tiny bit on one wrist.

Dry: Red wine and leather, with just a hint of florals and musk. It's warm, and I can definitely see how it's sexy even though it's not working that way for me. This could be really good on a guy (pity mine still hates this).

Later: The wine fades away leaving leather with wine stains.

I do like the merlot in this a lot and violets are also a floral I like. But I'm not too sure about the leather. This is the first blend with leather that I've tried and I'm not sure it agrees with my nose. There's something about it that just puts me off. Or maybe it's the myrtle. There's something I don't quite like in any case. And yet it's intriguing as well.

Although this isn't a keeper, I am very glad I gave it another go because I certainly don't hate it now. And it has confirmed that for me red wine is delicious (funnily enough I hate drinking the stuff and it gives me migraines as well).

Edited by Trishek