Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Aizen-Myoo

... Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

when applied, it's citrus with some cherry blossoms floating around. As it dries down, the cherry blossom is becoming much more apparent, with just the citrus fruit floating around behind it. The black tea darkens it just a touch, making it almost drinkable. I love this one and will adore my imp!

In the imp: Can smell the yuzu and a darker bitter smell which I imagine can only be the black tea.

Wet: the musky smell comes out strong at first and the bright yuzu smell backs off a bit. A floral scent comes out.

Drydown: Mostly same as the wet. The smell doesn't remind me of anything, even of other perfumes. The smell is not citrusy (at least in the traditional manner) I didn't get the tangy, and despite the dark smoky heaviness of the black tea and the floral it still remains kind of bright. It's also dry but a little sweet. It's light and stays close to the skin.

After 15 min: The citrus is all but gone, I guess my skin must eat it which would explain maybe why I didn't get as much of a tang at the beginning. The tea and a bit of the floral is still there but light enough that I have to bring my wrist up to my nose and sniff to find it.

After 30 min: It's gone.

Overall: It smells good but isn't spectacular. I won't get any more since my skin eats it almost immediately. Since I didn't get much of the yuzu in this or any of the lemon in Herbert West I think this is an indication that I need to stay away from citrus based perfumes, which is a shame since I love the way they smell in the bottle. I guess I might try to put it on my clothes or in a scent locket (when I can afford one) or I might just give away this imp to friend with more forgiving skin.

Aizen-Myoo

Oh wow, where do I begin? Thanks a MILLION lab, for sending me this as a freebie.

Aizen-Myoo is the patron Japanese deity of prostitutes and this scent certainly does him justice! All I can say is I find this an extremely sexy scent.

In the bottle: peach? mango? pineapple? It’s really fruity and delicious.

Wet: Fruity but increasingly floral. Im not sure how to describe the floral notes though.

Dry: Jasmine? Still some fruity notes there though...

Anyway, I loooove it.

Wet: At first it is just an OK smelling, feminine scent with a bit of an aquatic feel, nothing special.

As it dries: About four minutes later I am surrounded with the most incredible, delicious scent, the combination of cherry blossoms and delicate fruit with tea.

Kaki is a Japanese persimmon, Mikan is the Japanese name for those tiny Satsuma mandarine oranges and Yuzu is an aromatic citrus.

The scent doesn't smell like citrus to me at all, the vague fruit scent combining with the cherry blossom isn't sharp or orange-y. The tea is noticeable for a moment but then it combines with the other notes.

Dry: It is a sweet and feminine scent, delicate but not high-pitched. The combination of fruit, flowers and tea is very wearable. I think even people who don't like floral scents might like this one. The scent is just magical but very light. It only lasts about an hour on me.

It doesn't last long but this might be nice in the summer when I want something very light for frequent re-application.

This is one of the most beautiful BPAL scents I've tried. Many thanks to Edensixthday for the frimp.

Aizen-Myoo

In the Vial: Very sharp floral and citrus.

Wet: Eek! It's still very sharp. I'm getting a hint of the tea now.

Drydown: Still very citrus.

Verdict: I've been keeping this imp awhile, but I don't think it's really for me after all. I much prefer my Hua Mulan which has that leather to tone down the sharpness of citrus and florals.

In the imp: Wet cut grass, fresh twigs and a hint if bitter citrus. Very green!

Drying on my skin: After a while it morphes into a light flowerscent with a hint of faint tea and citrus. I get the cherryblossoms now.

Throw and staying power: Medium throw, about 5 hours

Colour impression: Soft pink and green

Verdict: At first this scent is VERY green! Then it morphes into a light very feminine perfume.

Nice but not me at all.

Wet, it comes on soapy. Doormouse did this as well, so I think part of it must be the same tea note in both that just goes straight to soap on me. I think there's a hint of citrus behind the soap, but right now all the citrus is doing is turning the original soap into a citrus-scented soap.

Drydown, about ten minutes on: The soapiness is gone, and I'm getting a lot of the cherry blossom now, with perhaps a bit of citrus underlying it. It's now sweet and light, a good one for a mid-spring day like today.

At first this reminds me of a tart bell pepper. Maybe a hint of green grass? Strange.

Not for me.

Aizen-Myoo

I mainly got fresh citrus from this, with an herbal base that helps keep the citrus from getting too overwhelming. It's very light and fresh but didn't last long on me. I will plan on reapplying if I wear it again.

In the imp: green and floral. Wet on my skin, the cherry blossoms pop and a very light citrus appears as it dries down. It has an almost plasticky tone, but I really don't mind it. Not getting much of the tea, but I don't mind that, either.

Very light and very pleasant. This one may go on the "get a bottle" list.

In the imp, I'm getting really bright fruits. On my skin, it's the same bright fruits with cherry blossom, no tea just yet, we'll see what happens. Mostly juicy tropical citrus on me, and just not quite my thing.

Edited by Venneh

In the vial, it smells very green and sharp. That would make sense, given that kaki is Japanese persimmon and mikan is satsuma. Color, yellow-green.

Wet on my skin, it smells like bitter citrus. I get a *little* of the tea and cherry blossom, but not much.

10-15 minute drydown - Really, it just reminds me of dishwashing liquid. Not what I'm looking for.

A pleasant, light fruit at first. It was almost peachy with some vague citrus. (Lemon and lime usually amp way the hell up on me, so it's nice to get something different!) There's a floral softness from the cherry blossoms and I definitely picked up the tea, though I would have guessed it was white or green instead of black.

I think I might pass this on to a friend, as it's a bit too soft and fruity for me, but not terribly unpleasant. It was nice to try!

In bottles: This is utterly delicious. I love the sharp crisp citrus, like grapefruit but sweeter and juicier. It’s pleasantly tart and summery, with a hint of cherry blossom and a soft tea note. Wet: The citrus is softer, and the tea soft and earthy underneath. The cherry blossom is very understated. This is genuinely lovely. Given my history of amping citrus and cherry this shouldn’t work, but it does. Dry: Sweet, fruity tea. Seriously, this isn’t my style, yet I love it.

Cherry-infused green tea. Very light scent. Pretty enough, but doesn't last and has low sillage. Best described as "nice" or "pleasant". 2 out of 5 stars. Just ok.

Very similar to Baobhan Sith on me, with less citrus. Mostly I get a fresh, clean, laundry type of smell which is quite strong and makes me a little nauseous - backed with fruitiness. Not my thing.

Hmmm, well the yuzu is decidedly absent on me, this is the cherry blossom I love in Lantern Ghost of Oiwa minus the rice wine and mint. It's the kind of perfume you can slap on in the morning with abandon, catch wafts all day and still not offend anyone. I like it.

It's a keeper for me.

In the bottle: Fruity! I can smell the sakura as well.

Wet: Still very fruity/citrusy without being actually sweet. In each sniff, there seems to be a curious dry, woody scent that comes into play immediately after the fruits. The sakura is also getting stronger.

Dry down: Fruits have gotten kinda creamy, but they still have a bit of a bite. I can smell the sakura, but I get no tea. The woody scent is definitely still there, but it has weakened quite a bit.

Conclusion: Unfortunately, this scent reminds me of a shampoo I used to use as a kid and is starting to give me a headache. It's a nice scent, but it's not for me.

Sniffed: Fresh, tart, juicy fruits. The yuzu is most prominent.

On skin: Aizen-Myoo is a purely fruit scent: sharp, tart yuzu is tempered by sweet, juicy mandarin and persimmon, while black tea grounds the fruits and gives it a contemplative feel. This scent manages to be zesty and fresh, but also serene and deep. It resembles a still, idyllic pond surrounded by bamboo groves... amazing, because Holiday Moon had the same vibe (albeit different scent). If BPAL's Asian blends are all like that, I want more! Aizen-Myoo is light, cheerful but also mellow, it remains much the same over time. Colour impression is a mix of gentle, lush yellow, pink and orange, with the slightest dusting of leaf green -- the colour of a peach, or a blush of dawn.

Verdict: I like how Aizen-Myoo is both sweet and tart, and introspective while being upbeat. Even though it doesn't blow me away, this is one of the many solidly GOOD blends in BPAL's general catalogue. Wonderful!

This is citrus or aquatic or cleaner. it's pretty sharp. and it would be great if my bathroom smelled like this. but not right for me as a perfume.

This is such a beautiful and undeniably JAPANESE scent that reminded me so much of my years living in Japan, that it breaks my heart that my skin hates it. :cry2: The yuzu and mikan screech on my skin, the cherry blossom is absent, and the kaki and tea turn to ash. I would love this as a room scent for when I'm feeling nostalgic but it's an unfortunate miss as a perfume. Though I *am* craving tangerines and persimmons now...

Glorious! I bought a full bottle of this from someone in the forums unsniffed, on someone else's recommendation of it being similar to Night-Gaunt, and the gamble paid off. I like this even better than Night-Gaunt, as it seems more complex and has more fruity notes in the drydown.

Aizen-Myoo has tons of grapefruit/yuzu in the imp and when wet: clean, fresh citrus, a little bitter. As it begins to dry, it turns to an almost fizzy, carbonated tangerine smell mixed with florals. It smells incredibly good at this stage on me, like jasmine flowers and orange soda. I kept catching wafts of it and being pleasantly surprised to realize it was me that smelled so good.

It eventually dries down from the initial interesting bittersweet to a uniformly sweet, mellow scent, a soft floral that I guess is the cherry blossom, with fresh tea and the round fruitiness of persimmon mixed in. Vanilla isn't listed as a note, but the drydown is so creamy, I smell hints of vanilla mixed in as well. The citrus pretty much goes away completely on me once it's dry.

It's quite a strong and long-lasting scent on me. Although I liked it, I overapplied and it gave me a headache at first. I wish the fruity/citrus phase lasted longer, but the final cherry-blossom smell is very pretty.

I really wish citrus worked better on me..

Imp: OK, wow, complex citrus scent. Smells like tangy grapefruit, just the fluffy white inside of the peel. The slightest hint of green tea (more herbal than black tea to my nose). Allover green and tart and fruity.

Wet: Green citrus. So I googled the components: yuzu is something of a complex lemony orange while mikan is an Asian satsuma (sweet mandarin). Smells very fresh and sour to me and not too sweet (what the notes could suggest). Even the oil is green in the imp! Have I ever seen a green oil? I think not.

Dry: I can detect the slightly bitter texture of the black tea that is layered with a citrus overkill! I am glad it's no "toilet cleaner" lemon but something that's really hard to pin down. Very green and fresh and even sour. I am missing a creamy sweetness that would make this even better for me.. or wearable on a daily basis.

Got this in a swap. Not one I'd naturally go for if my choices weren't limited but I'm looking forward to trying it. I still am recovering from a cold though so that may affect this review.

In imp: Very sharp, fresh and lovely. Does have a slight cleaner tang to it that I'm sure will fade as it dries.

On wet: Ooh, I really like this! It's super fresh, juicy and slightly candy-like. Definitely smells citrus but a citrus I'm not used to. Like an orange and lemon mixed together with a touch of grapefruit bitterness hiding within and the crispness of a crunchy green apple.

Dry: I don't smell any tea. Only the citrusy notes and a beautiful floral which must be the cherry blossom. I like this a lot. It makes me think of running past walls of oleander to get to my house on blazing hot summer days as a kid. It has that bitter yet fresh and green note that oleander does. It also smells like a toy I had as a kid, though I can't think of which one.

I agree that the Yuzu is extremely strong at first, then settles into a sweet floral with a light citrus touch by the end of the first hour. Stays true to form on me until it fades -- utterly gone when I remembered to sniff at hour four.