Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Neko

Floral Recs for those who usually don't like florals

I would recommend La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente and Prague, both light fresh florals with a watery note swimming somewhere under the surface. Also Titania, very fairy-light floral, with soft fruity notes.

Well, after the many rec's for Pele and after reading her reviews I think I'll get a bottle on my next order. I had stayed away from her because of the ginger, and it seemed similar to Machu Picchu (which was nothing special on me) and Xiuchuli (that's spelled wrong I'm sure, but Xiu.. I had high hopes for, but it was too sweet and strange on me- I think it was the smoke or incense that it has in it).

Anyway, Pele's reviews sound lovely, so I'll have to give her a try.

Pele!! You might want to give Santo Domingo a try, too, but use lightly as it can be medium strong (of course, I'm a slatherer...) On me, Macchu Picchu and Pele are completely different, and ginger, it seems, is no friend of mine. I reccomend Leanan Sidhe, too, which is far underrated for florally goodness. :P

Oro

it might be hard to find but chiroptera is *the* light floral. i have a 5ml from the lab, bought last year when it was available. it was a little "old lady" at first but it has aged into a very ::beautiful:: light floral.

Definitely Pele. Pele's ginger isn't ginger-y in the hot/spicy/gingerroot sense; it's "Hawaiian white ginger," which is different, although I couldn't tell you how, specifically. Anyway, it's beautiful and light and fresh and feminine and perfect for warm weather. Also, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, my current favorite in the light floral category. The description says it contains "wild rose," and I know you already specifically vetoed that, but the scent is so complex and well-balanced that the rose doesn't dominate (I have issues with rose, too, and it makes me happy when I find a scent with rose in it that I can wear). Amsterdam is lovely, too. . .a light, watery floral.

BPAL rose hates me too--it turns straight into cheap bathroom deodorizer.

The Unicorn (Mad Tea Party series) is a very light, pale white floral with an herbal tinge. Very refreshing and ethereal.

Pannychis (Excolo series) is another white floral, spicier and heavier than the Unicorn, but it lightens a lot on dry-down. It also doesn't beat one over the head with its presence.

I'm sorting a pile of imps and came upon Ave Maria Gratia Plena, which I don't think I'd sniffed before. It might be just what you're looking for -- very light, ethereal, really lovely.

I´d say most of the Illyria line seems to be pretty, light florals (Titania, Ophelia, Regan, Desdemona all come to mind)

And The Ghost, Leanan Sidhe, Aeval, The Dormouse, The Unicorn, Dirty, Kitsune-Tsuki, and apparently most of the Demon in My View scents

Although I am not a floral person myself, I would second Peitho and Amsterdam, both of which were gentle and light enough that even my floral-amping skin could tolerate them. I'd also suggest Euphrosyne, which while very much not me was very pretty and probably right in line with what you're looking for.

Desdemona would be lovely, I think. Very sweet, light and slightly watery w/o being aquatic. Carnation, sweet pea and lily, I believe.

Regan also might be nice. I seem to recall its being very light and pretty as well.

That said, my fave for sweet and light floral would be Xiuhtecuhtli. I ordered a five mL for summer.

ETA: Paris! OMG, I cannot believe I forgot this one. This one is lovely. Lotus and Lavender. It is a unique combination, to be sure but it works somehow. Very soft, sweet and clean w/o being "antiseptic" or "dryer sheet". Gorgeous. I love this on others, but I cannot wear it for some reason.

Edited by judas_kiss

Hm ... let me see. Katharina, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, Arachne, maybe Kitsune-Tsuki if you don't mind the plum ... and I know you said you didn't like rose, but Seraphim and Ode on Melancholy are two of my favourites and aren't overly rosy, so they might work for you. Brisingamen for me was a light floral warmed by amber, but I don't know if that's too heavy for you. Ave Maria Gratia Plena's also beautiful, and you might want to look into Eternal and Ephemera as well.

Good luck!

That said, my fave for sweet and light floral would be Xiuhtecuhtli. I ordered a five mL for summer.

Really? It's floral? I always thought it was citrussy. I don't get any floral from it at all!

As for pretty, light florals, I'd say Budding Moon for sure, Water of Notre Dame and High John The Conqueror. I don't know for sure if it's floral, but it definitely comes out that way on me. Very fresh and airy.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

I don't have the citrus problem, but I'm not so good with the rose or lotus either. I loved Phantom Queen, which is orchid and apple blossom and red clover, light, fresh and sweet without being cloying (although applying, a little goes a long way). Juliet was also very light and fresh to me, pear and sweetpea.

Really? It's floral? I always thought it was citrussy. I don't get any floral from it at all!

Yeah, I got a sweet little floral note from it. So very pretty. Makes me feel all girly down to my toes...

I'd recommend Asphodel. To me it's the perfect light, very white floral. All I get from it is this mental image of beautiful, soft, white flowers.

I love Snake Oil, and wear it nearly everyday, despite my collection. I am pulling out the Skuld (ylang ylang and honey) and Fae (peach and creamy white musk) for the occasional Spring fling, though. Tiger Lily is one of my favorite light florals,too; It is a delicate sweet honey on me.

Edit to add Ouija...though I like to wear it in the Winter. It is light, white rose, but quite dusty with the woods. It is the only "dry" BPAL I love.

Edited by lookingglass

Hamadryad was my first thought, and Dragon's Milk comes straight to mind. Aizen-Myoo and Dirty were good suggestions, as well. Scherezade, Hollywood Babylon, and Helle's Belle didn't give me heavy florals, but they're not exactly light and fluffy scents on me, either. Do you like fruity/foody scents? Swank is a sparkly, girly scent that is just absolutely juicy on me. I'm also really fond of Eris and Moxie, and you might consider trying Whitechapel... I'm almost obsessed with it right now. Bliss and 13 are chocolatey scents, and then there's Jailbait, which I adore, and isn't necessarily foody or floral.

Just my two copper bits.

(I tried to avoid scents that had already been mentioned, but I heartily agree with Dragon's Milk, Aizen-Myoo, Scherezade (didn't realize this had been mentioned already, hence 'edit') and Dirty.)

Edited by cordia

I love love love Phantom Queen, but it's not really floral on me, it's more of a wild outdoors scent. I'll have to try Asphodel- the idea of "grey flowers" had turned me off... Archane sounds nice, but I really have a horror of spiders so I don't know if I could wear an oil named that... it would almost seem to invite disaster...

I've been looking into Budding Moon- I didn't order it when it was up because of the lotus root (lotus' sweetness is bad on me), although in reading the reviews for it I didn't really see anyone write about a real "lotus" scent...