Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Neko

Floral Recs for those who usually don't like florals

Okay so I don't like florals because things that are overly floral tend to give me headaches or just remind me of old ladies. Either way I don't want that but what I've found here is that there are at least two BPAL scents that I've run into that definitly have some main floral notes that I love. I got both Nuit and Zorya as free imps in my orders and both of them I happen to love.

I'm wondering if maybe it's because they both have incense notes in them as well as florals that seem to mellow them. That's the only thing I can't come up with but anyways I know there are plenty of you alot more BPAL experianced then I am so could you possibly point me to other florals that I might like as much as I do those two?

Thanks in advance :P

Zorya is spices of the Orient mingle with crystalline musk, midnight flowers and cereus, jasmine, primrose and vesper iris. Cereus appears to be a kind of cactus (checked Wikipedia), so it's probably cactus flower scent. So no incense here.

Nuit is dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower. We've got incense here, but that's not the similarity that jumps out at me. Both scents have jasmine and musk.

You seem to like florals that fit into the "starry night" microcategory. There's a thread about those sorts of scents already.

Kalli

I thought I read it had incense , it smells incensy anyways but that could just be the spices. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

I merged two very similar requests here as I was tidying up the forum - just in case the OPs are scratching their heads about this thread. Hope you both have had some success in finding some florals that work for you!

Er... Colour me confused. I thought the request for floral recommendations for people that don't usually do well with florals, but everyone's recommending non-florals? Or is that because of the two threads getting merged? Not sure...

Anyway, I'll try to stick with what I thought was originally meant. Florals aren't usually good on me, but there are a few exceptions, so I'll try and list some of them:

• Burial is nice -- floral and earthy at the same time, without the rot smell of Zombi
  • Desire has some florals, but enough woody and incensey notes balancing it to keep it from being too sweet.
  • Peitho is the only jasmine scent that doesn't turn into Death By Jasmine on me, because the musk and sandalwood keep it light.
  • Lampades has lilies, but the scent is so well-balanced that they don't dominate.
  • Yerevan is a nice, light, well-balanced fruity/floral/incense blend
  • Just about anything with orange blossom works on me, because that note tends to go more fruity than floral on my skin. Likewise the peach blossom on Tamora. (But apple and cherry blossom, sadly, are usually bad news.)

I think this was the first time I got actually recommendations that helps so Thank you I'll definitely have to try some of those out.

I understand what you mean by death by Jasmine, I get that only with rose instead of jasmine it gets pretty overwhelming like my eyes want to bleed or something.

Edited by fiction tragedy

I really like The Apothecary, I've discovered. It's very clean smelling to me and then becomes the softest floral sort of thing. But still clean and soft.

I also like White Rabbit, Alice (some people don't get along with the her though in terms of chemistry), Dorian and possibly Seraglio (if you can get past the cherry almond when it first goes on)

Er... Colour me confused. I thought the request for floral recommendations for people that don't usually do well with florals, but everyone's recommending non-florals? Or is that because of the two threads getting merged? Not sure...

You're right on the money... the threads I merged were both started by people who didn't usually like florals, but wanted some recommendations for florals that might work on them. After reading a couple of the responses that I think you were referring to, I wonder if it might just be a function of some people picking up a floral note or two from what might be considered "non-florals" like Hamadryad, Shanghai, Dragon's Milk, etc. Or maybe folks are just throwing in their non-floral faves in case nothing else works out! :P

I'm an absolute floral nut, so I probably am not a lot of help with this one, but Ulalume does come to mind... earthy and foresty, deep and woody with just a hint of lily.

I'm still relatively new to BPAL, so I'm looking to all of you experts for help. :D

I love love LOVE florals~ if it smells like somebody shoved me headfirst into huge mound of a billion different kinds of flowers, and then dumped a truckload of flowers more on me for good measure, I love it. :D But my problem is this: a lot of BPAL florals have green notes in them. I dislike green notes, but unfortunately my skin amps them up like crazy (Beltane, for example~ everybody in the reviews said that it was extremely floral, but on me, all I could smell was green with a tiny hint of flowers hiding in the back :P).

So, does anyone have any suggestions for super-floral scents without green notes? I already have big bottles of Bearded Lady and Beatrice and I absolutely love them, but I'd like to be able to find a GC scent to replace them when they run out (LE scent recs are welcome, though!). I am ok with vanilla as long as it's not too strong (Antique Lace is a bit overwhelming on me, for example). Thank you so much! :D

I don't normally like florals, but I do have a few favorites that you might like. Marie is one of my favorite florals... and it's just simple violet and tea rose. Maiden is carnation, tea, and rose, but I get mostly spicy carnation. London was more of a classic, dry rose perfume. Versailles is a beautiful rose and jasmine with citrus (I like it and I normally don't get along with jasmine or citrus).

Those are my favorite roses and a good carnation scent :P.

Eos was a very sweet floral on me. I found the florals in Sea of Glass to be nearly suffocating. Huh. I tend to shy away from florals, so I don't have many suggestions that don't involve another major component. I'd strongly recommend Eos and Moon Rose.

I too love florals and Beatrice and Bearded Lady are among my favorite LE scents. If you've not tried Flower Moon, you may want to find some of that...it is my most favorite of all.

As far as GC, I love Amsterdam, but that may be too green for your liking. Today I packed my imp carrier with 3 Rappaccini's Garden scents which I absolutely adore - Opium Poppy, Asphodel and Shadow Witch Orchid...among those Asphodel is the 'brightest' scent. I recently got the imp of SWO and can't stop sniffing myself...so it will become a bottle soon.

I'll have to go through my notes when I get home to give you some other recommendations - there are so many wonderful flowers to smell in the BPAL garden!

Hi,

I also love love love florals, and I really really love Peacock Queen. Really. These are the ones I've tried so far that were very floral sans green on me:

Blood rose (sweet rose at first, and then went to kleenex smell on me)

La Belle Au Bois Dormant (strong mixed floral, and went coconutty on me after a while)

London (tea rose, it does sort of smell dark)

Maiden (spicy and slightly sweet rose-carnation)

Muse (mature mixed floral)

Peacock Queen (full bloom roses, not tea rose to me though, deeper)

Pele (a sharper white floral smell)

Persephone (swet fruity rose in the recs, but to me smelled like salami-rose)

Versailles (strong floral, not sweet)

These were also floral I think, but I didn't like them.

Les Fleurs Du Mal (aptly named, smelled like dying roses)

Queen Mab

The Empress

I'm not a big fan of florals, so I don't have long list of recs....but three that come to mind that are floral and not green are Nuit, Regan and Juliet.

Sacred Whore is a spicy white floral~very creamy and heady. Hunger is my favorite floral (narcissus and orange blossom). Alice is light and fresh but not green with her roses, carnation, and milk and honey. Morocco has carnation and creamy spices. YUM! I love florientals!

I have an odd nose and/or chemistry, but

Queen Mab is like masses of lovely flowers; I don't get anything green here (but you might read the reviews and see if green pops up for others)

Desdemona breaks my heart because I have an overwhelming emotional reaction (a sad one) to it, but it is truly a beautiful floral.

Euphronsyne (which might be not spelled right) reminds me of a pure gardenia

How are you with musk? Lots of people seem to think of Zephyr as flowers and all; on me it is mostly a gentle light and beautiful musk scent.

Asphodel is beautiful--but maybe it does have a touch of green with all those white and ghostly flowers; not sure.

Queen Mab and Asphodel didn't work on me, either. And Beatrice is one of my faves, so maybe this will work for you:

IMHO the best GC floral is Midnight - I have 2 or 3 imps stashed in a shortie. It is a mildy spicy floral as opposed to gardenia-sweet or green. Midnight's description sounds a lot like Chiroptera, but I preferred Midnight.

Edited by themerrybaker

Peony Moon has the peonies of Amsterdam with less green.

My favorite rose is still Wicked - it's dark rose, a tiny bit of jasmine, and myrrh (which I find lends a really nice bottom component..give it a little attitude).

I can't wear most sweeter florals well, I usually amp lily and jasmine...but the thing I recommend is just trying everything you can lay your hands on - you never know when something containing a note that normally seems to not work on you will end up being fabulous (for me, that's Wicked).

My votes go to Alice (which is spicy carnation, with a hint of honey and almond), and Pele (soft, warm, tropical and sweet).

I also really like Blood Rose. It's a lush, juicy rose, and very voluptuous.

Black Rose and Blood Rose are obvious ones to try.

Do you know which note or notes strike you as green? For me lavender is often a green note, but it might not be for you. On me moss is overwhelmingly green. Some people find tea notes to be very green, but for me they're not really.

Kalli

This is a fascinating thread! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions.

My own favourite florals are quite green, so I don't have any personal recommendations for you, but I'll just mention that a couple of the recent Muse scents are non-green florals: Erato's been described in reviews as having a soft pink/yellow pastel feel to it, Urania as a pale, cool, airy night-time floral.

Also, if you haven't checked it out already, you might want to have a look at this thread asking for grassy/green scent recs, just to help you identify what to steer clear of. ;-)

My goodness~ so many people have suggestions! Thank you, everyone, you all have been so helpful~! I'm saving all of your recs in a list of florals for me to try. :D

Torrilin: I still need practice at picking out individual notes, but I think lavender seems green on me as well. Grass and herbs (I can't name any specific ones) are extremely green on me, too. Tea notes aren't green on me, though.

Styro: That's a brilliant idea! I'll go check out that thread right away. Thank you~! :P

Thank you so much again, everybody, for all your help! You guys are all kinds of awesome! :D

I'd recommend looking for actual flower notes, as opposed to just "floral".

If it just says floral, it's likely to be a white or green floral. Searching for violet, rose, jasmine, carnation, etc., which are all flowers, is likely to yield you a better result, imo.

Kitsune-Tsuki is a beautiful fresh jasmine floral without any "green".

Another favorite of mine is Blood Countess- it's a dark sort of floral.

For a rose scent you might try Two, Five and Seven- it's a sweet, almost fruity rose.

My wishlist is shrinking, and shrinking fast. I have stayed away from most all of the florals because I hate florals (yes- hate it a strong word, but that's how I feel lol). I thought the only floral scent I liked was Violet, but I recently found out I'm not a big violet fan either... :P

I do, however, love Alice and Antique Lace- so I know there must be SOME florals I can stand.

Can anyone help with recs? Perhaps some blends I'm shying away from that lists florals but may not actually have a heavy floral smell?